The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Well now I'm all confused

pod88kk
pod88kk
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hello everyone,
I recently made an Imperial Templar because I'd like to start something new. At the moment I'm just leveling it (lvl15) but I'm wondering if I should go with magicka or stamina? I understand that the Imperial's stamina bonuses would help me to get higher dps but a lot of the Imperial abilities seem to be magic based.
My goal is to level be at level 50 for when DB comes out and to go straight into pvp but until then I won't be going into pvp so those skills won't be available to me.
All constructive advice is welcomed
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pod88kk wrote: »
    Hello everyone,
    I recently made an Imperial Templar because I'd like to start something new. At the moment I'm just leveling it (lvl15) but I'm wondering if I should go with magicka or stamina? I understand that the Imperial's stamina bonuses would help me to get higher dps but a lot of the Imperial abilities seem to be magic based.
    My goal is to level be at level 50 for when DB comes out and to go straight into pvp but until then I won't be going into pvp so those skills won't be available to me.
    All constructive advice is welcomed

You mean templar abilities. And yes, many of their abilities are magicka based. But that is true for all the classes.

Basically you choose to be stamina based and only use magic to support your stamina damage-dealing abilities, or you choose to be magicka-based (dealing damage with magicka abilities) and only use stamina for blocking/rolling/sprinting/CC breaking. Both approaches are viable in PvP.
  • pod88kk
    pod88kk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok so if I went purely magicka I could just use the bonus stamina as a back up. Seems like a good enough plan. Thanks for the advice
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since Sharee answered your question very well, then I'll just add a simple tip.
    Make that char your main crafter, the "luck" Imperials have is beneficial for obtaining rare improvement materials when you refine raw materials.

It comes in handly, when you reach level 50 in all crafts and can spend 3 skillpoints in refinement in Woodworking, Clothing and Blacksmithing :p
  • Kungfu
    Kungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    First off, as a templar, I thoroughly recommend trying to go all magicka for your first time through. They are a very capable class but they suffer from some resource management to the point that I believe the "stamplar" is not really for beginners. You should understand everything about stam vs mag and all the ability choices before really digging into that build, IMO. (Edit: please note that, at lvl 50, it will not be difficult for you to switch. Just some time training up a weapon set and some skill morphs of choice.)

One thing to keep in mind: have you "morphed" any abilities yet?
    If you already know all of the following, forgive me. But forum goers often assume newer players know things that they maybe do not.

Since you were only level 15 just a couple days ago, I'm going to assume you have not yet seen the morphs available.

In every class, there are a few KEY abilities that you can choose to change from a magicka to a stamina version. For the best templar example, concentrate on leveling your "jabs" ability to/through IV. Then, when you have an available skill point, the morphs you can choose from show up. READ THEM THOROUGHLY.

One costs magicka to use and one costs stamina. The stamina version is the one you pick if you go stamina.

Not all abilities have a stamina morph. In those cases, what Sharee said is true: use these magicka abilities to buff, heal, or CC

Another basic everyone needs to know / learn is that every ability on your bar WHEN YOU GAIN XP gains its own xp. So, if you're trying to get an ability that you hate using in battle, put it on your "back bar" (the weapon you use the least) and switch to that bar when you turn in a quest.

Once you've seen the morphs for all your skills, it will make more sense.
    Edited by Kungfu on May 9, 2016 5:29PM
  • emily3989
    emily3989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each class has about 3-5 stamina morphs to synergize with the wpn skill trees. Some have morphs that cost nothing (siphoning attacks for NB and Repentance for Templar come to mind), and some of the magika abilities can be nice dumps in a stamina build.

I have a stamina Templar I am lving for fun and repentance is awesome for stamina sustain - or if you are magika and heal groups they will want it as well.

Edited by emily3989 on May 9, 2016 5:54PM
    Thasi - V16 Magblade Vampire PC/NA