The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Dragon Language translation help

Twilanthe
Twilanthe
✭✭✭
I've been working on possible guild names, and I thought maybe translating it to the dragon language (I tried Ehlnofex but there just isn't the words I'm looking for). The dragon language seems the most robust.

So here is my question.
Lets take the word "Seek" it's Yah. To make it plural is to double the last letter and add an e. So Yahhe. But Seek is a verb.
My question is, how do I make it a noun? "Seeker" and then plural "Seekers"?
I don't think Yahhe would actually be grammatically correct, because "Seeks" isn't a plural of Seek.

It could be more complicated. "One who seeks" which is "gein wo yah" So would Seekers (plural) then be "geinwoyahhe"?

I could also do "They who seek" so "Nustwoyah"

I'm wondering if anyone more familiar in using this language could offer some insight.

Though, if anyone knows of a site with more information on Ehlnofex that would be helpful too.

I'm also curious about peoples opinions on using these languages for RP. Thanks!
Lüc - Argonian Necromancer Healer
PC-NA
  • Twilanthe
    Twilanthe
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, "Daar" is "those/this/that" so would it also be "those that" as in "those that seek" would be "Daaryahhe"?
    PC-NA
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twilanthe wrote: »
    I've been working on possible guild names, and I thought maybe translating it to the dragon language (I tried Ehlnofex but there just isn't the words I'm looking for). The dragon language seems the most robust.

So here is my question.
    Lets take the word "Seek" it's Yah. To make it plural is to double the last letter and add an e. So Yahhe. But Seek is a verb.
    I don't think Yahhe would actually be grammatically correct, because "Seeks" isn't a plural of Seek.

It could be more complicated. "One who seeks" which is "gein wo yah" So would Seekers (plural) then be "geinwoyahhe"?

I'm wondering if anyone more familiar in using this language could offer some insight.

Though, if anyone knows of a site with more information on Ehlnofex that would be helpful too.

I'm also curious about peoples opinions on using these languages for RP. Thanks!

all youll ever need to know https://www.thuum.org/
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • Twilanthe
    Twilanthe
    ✭✭✭
    That's fantastic! I had found that translator but didn't bother perusing further into the site. The first page I went to answered my question. Yah is both the noun and the verb, so Yahhe is Seekers. Fantastic, thank you!
    PC-NA
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's fantastic! I had found that translator but didn't bother perusing further into the site. The first page I went to answered my question. Yah is both the noun and the verb, so Yahhe is Seekers. Fantastic, thank you!

Glad I could help :)
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭

So here is my question.

all youll ever need to know https://www.thuum.org/

Give the man an insightful
    Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
    Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
    Brenton, Templar, Healer
    Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
    PS4, NA Server
    Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using something like the Dragon Language IC is a very very snowflakey thing to do. A large portion of the playerbase will see your character as crazy for that. NA DC in Koeglin village had people doing that for a while. It is VERY unlikely your character will know this. If you character does, it is VERY unlikely they will be out and about in the world. Skyrim is an excellent example. A VERY tiny number of people could read or translate it. The only ones that could speak with any proficiency were the Greybeards. Hermits devoted to a specific way of life.

As far as a guild name, even if it goes into a 'we are clan XVTRT' that is likely just fine. Even if you cannot speak the language, clan names and the like are passed down. Even now, last names of people are from a language they do not speak, but they can say it and know what it means.

To reiterate, I would NOT recommend RPing your player can speak or understand the language, but ti have a clan name in dragon tounge, is fine.