The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best way to train Provision?

pudner
pudner
I'm currently lvl 16, with lvl 5 or 6 provision (can't check bc of stupid log-in issue). I have a good bunch of recipes but most of them i can't use because i need to upgrade my "Recipe" skill tree. Anyone have any advice for where to get simple recipe ingredients like chicken / rice in good bulk? Or any other tips for training?

TIA
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you in Ebonheart? If so there's a public dungeon in Shadowfen called Sanguine's Demense. That has loads (and I mean loads) of barrels - just loot them all, log out and back in to reset them. I'm not sure on other factions but EP's Cyrodil gates have a lot as well. The good thing about these are that they're not classed as stolen.

Within each recipe improvement level there's two player level foods/drinks that can be made, X0 & X5. It's best to google the list of recipes and buy the X5 green ones for each improvement level from the guild traders. Then you can buy ingredients in batch.
    Edited by Sunburnt_Penguin on April 24, 2016 11:03PM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Provisioning levelling is easy, and all you need is different levels of green recipes.

There are recipes for level 10 food/drink and level 15 food/drink. The ones that you get most inspiration points from is the level 15 food/drink, so if you know a recipe for that, gather the needed ingredients and start producing that food/drink untill you level up enough to spend another skillpoint.

Once you use that skillpoint, you will be able to craft level 20 and 25 foods/drinks and you will gain more inspiration points for crafting the level 25, so find a recipe for that to level up with.

It pays off economically, if you spend skillpoints in the passive, that allows you to create 4 portions from each time you craft a food or a drink. If you buy the materials cheap from other players, it might even be profitable for you to level up provisioning :3
  • pudner
    pudner
    Are you in Ebonheart? If so there's a public dungeon in Shadowfen called Sanguine's Demense. That has loads (and I mean loads) of barrels - just loot them all, log out and back in to reset them. I'm not sure on other factions but EP's Cyrodil gates have a lot as well. The good thing about these are that they're not classed as stolen.

Within each recipe improvement level there's two player level foods/drinks that can be made, X0 & X5. It's best to google the list of recipes and buy the X5 green ones for each improvement level from the guild traders. Then you can buy ingredients in batch.

Thanks! I'm in Dominion but i didn't realize barrels reset on logout/login. I'll find some barrels that have the recipes i can craft and use that. Not yet in a trader's guild (just requested a couple invites) so haven't been able to use that yet. appreciate it!
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pudner wrote: »

Thanks! I'm in Dominion but i didn't realize barrels reset on logout/login. I'll find some barrels that have the recipes i can craft and use that. Not yet in a trader's guild (just requested a couple invites) so haven't been able to use that yet. appreciate it!

The good thing about guild traders is that you don't have to be a member of the guild to buy, that's only to sell. Are you on PS4/EU by any chance? If so then let me know your PSN and I'll send ingredients over, I have more than I know what to do with.
  • pudner
    pudner

The good thing about guild traders is that you don't have to be a member of the guild to buy, that's only to sell. Are you on PS4/EU by any chance? If so then let me know your PSN and I'll send ingredients over, I have more than I know what to do with.

Wow appreciate the offer! Unfortunately i'm Xbox one (which is really a nightmare the past 2 days since they can't get the stupid servers fixed).

Thanks again for all the help though!
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow appreciate the offer! Unfortunately i'm Xbox one (which is really a nightmare the past 2 days since they can't get the stupid servers fixed).

Thanks again for all the help though!
    No problem, but yeah if you're low on cash for ingredients then try Cyrodil.

Hirelings & daily Writs are also useful for ingredients if you're not power levelling it as they give a steady stream whilst the latter gives Provisioning XP, recipes and a very small chance at Ambrosia fragments (worth ~20k on my server).

A little tip as well if you're new to the game: create additional characters now for what you think you may want to level up once you've done your current character. You can train their horses each day to increase the speed, stamina and carrying capacity which are useful later in the game and each character also gives 60 free additional inventory slots. You'll have to do some inventory juggling from time to time to consolidate everything but it saves buying bank & bag upgrades early in the game where cash is limited.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a mule character store all my cooking ingredients, over the course of a month of hitting every non-stealing container from sacks, barrels, daily hireling mail, etc. and pile it all onto that mule. At the end of the month, I mass craft cooking on whatever character needs to level up provisioning, on green recipes only then make whatever blue or purple recipes I need on my main crafter. After I emptied out all my cooking supplies and start over again for the next month.

If they're green food, that usually gets made and goes to vendor. If they're blue, I keep around 4 stacks if its food and 2 stacks if its drinks. Purple, I keep them all for my tanks.

Edited by phaneub17_ESO on April 25, 2016 3:59AM
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For ingredients Coldharbour hollow city is great. There's local tavern, houses, food shop, loads of places have ingredients in the big amounts. Get all then log out and back in again. Also it's not stolen it's all free.
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @EquinoxS are all the buildings accessible if you haven't done the quest yet? I haven't quested there for almost a year, so I don't remember if the stores etc. are all open or needs to be unlocked through progress...

I'm just concerned since OP is level 16 and Coldharbour is around level 42-49.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on April 25, 2016 9:34AM
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's my standard notes for Provisioning if it helps.
    • For Provisioning you only need 4 recipes at L15-L25-L35-L45 (food/bev level made).
    • Steal or buy one of each and then just make 96/78/92/128 (87/70/84/115 if +PLUS subscribed) of each level.
    • Only apply points to Recipe Improvement (only need 3) to level 1-50. Apply rest of points after L50. Only make green (2 ingredient foods/bevs) no extra IP for blue or purple).
    • To get ingredients go to out of city barrels/sacks/containers and Coldharbor or Cyrodiil Home Alliance Gate areas (no theft). For in-cities find warehouses with closed doors and no inside guards and go wild. Some ships as well.
    I'm just concerned since OP is level 16 and Coldharbour is around level 42-49.

Even w/o starting the Hollow City quest, the Bank and a few other areas are already open for free ingredients. You can get "game-credited" access (Writ V writ boards access) to the Hollow City just by starting the quest from the Groundskeeper, you don't have to do any more of the quest unless to want to open more buildings.
    Edited by SpAEkus on April 26, 2016 4:40AM
  • Astanphaeus
    Astanphaeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any of the dungeons with living people in them have a ton of provisioning ingredients in barrels. I leveled my skill by just running through a dungeon and looting everything and then making whatever I could out of what I got.
  • J4YDEE
    J4YDEE
    Any of the dungeons with living people in them have a ton of provisioning ingredients in barrels. I leveled my skill by just running through a dungeon and looting everything and then making whatever I could out of what I got.

This is how I got to level 50 Prov too.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I uncheck have skill and then go and select one recipe for of each level,
    write down the ingredients,
    guildstore and buy what i need,

Then go back and start making food......
    make sure you have some skill points available to level..
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• JuZ
    JuZ
    ✭✭
    Doing the writs gives a fair amount of ingredients too
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loads of great answers here so I won't duplicate, I went wrong on my main desperately buying / learning as many recipes as I could - you don't need them all. leveling my Alt on cake week I did as above, learnt one recipe for each tier, got some 200 stacks and burnt through.

The chefs / brewers have the 6 you need for each tier of writs, they are pricey though if you are starting out @pudner are you on XBOX EU? Or NA?
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • pudner
    pudner
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Loads of great answers here so I won't duplicate, I went wrong on my main desperately buying / learning as many recipes as I could - you don't need them all. leveling my Alt on cake week I did as above, learnt one recipe for each tier, got some 200 stacks and burnt through.

The chefs / brewers have the 6 you need for each tier of writs, they are pricey though if you are starting out @pudner are you on XBOX EU? Or NA?

Thanks thats helpful, i did some of the same thing. I'm on XBOX NA. I also just realized my trader's guild sells cheap meal stacks all the time, so that might be the way i go too so i just don't have to worry about recipes etc.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks thats helpful, i did some of the same thing. I'm on XBOX NA. I also just realized my trader's guild sells cheap meal stacks all the time, so that might be the way i go too so i just don't have to worry about recipes etc.

Its nice to have recipes for each level, but you only need one of each type or each type you would use. For example, if your Magic, no need for a Blue Stamina and Health recipe. Of course its really nice to have a Purple for each level. I have at least one starting at L20 all the way up to VR15. Also, all my VR16s know at least one purple VR15 food and drink.

But, unless your a recipe collector, you do only need a smattering of recipes. Heck, one for every 10 levels is probably good enough.

Now excuse me while I go look for the the elusive last recipe I need to have everyone in the game. I found one at a guild kiosk last night for 10K Gold, but not spending that on an L25 Blue recipe.

Edited by Nestor on April 27, 2016 8:04PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• KrishakPanettier
    KrishakPanettier
    ✭✭✭
    You receive more Inspiration Gains (Crafting XP) by creating foods from BLUE recipes than green. You must have a skill point in Provisioning Quality (Blue) in order to begin making, but will level up very fast with that. Also, find low level blue recipes on Guild Traders throughout Tamriel if you don't find any as drops. But make sure the recipe matches your provisioning improvement level (1-10) as well.
    Krishak Kringle aka KrishakPanettier, Templar (PSN:KrishakPanettier)
    -- PS4 NA --

PVP, PVE, and Trader Guild Leader
    Guild:
    - Rent-A-Zerg Mercs AD (one-time large AD PVP Guild - now PVP, PVE, dungeons, trials, and crafting)
    - Shadow Exiles AD (merged into RAZ AD)
    - Recruiting all levels, for help all in-game content. Not just PVP anymore. Not just AD.

Online:
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/RAZ.AD
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/ShadowExiles
    - Twitter: @ShadowExiles
    - www: www.shadowexiles.com
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You receive more Inspiration Gains (Crafting XP) by creating foods from BLUE recipes than green.

@KrishakPanettier

Actually not true. I have tested this extensively with every Green and Blue recipe from L20 to VR15, and most purples. You get the same inspiration making a food no matter what Improvement level it is. Only the level of the food or drink being made matters.

Now, the very first time you make a Blue or Purple recipe, and get the Achievement, you do get a big addition to the Inspiration, but after that, all recipes offer the same inspiration at a given level. Different level recipes do give different Inspirations, with higher levels giving more as you would expect.

• QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DC, right at the start just outside the gate in GLENUMBRA is LLESSIAN tower, chocked full tot eh gills with crates barrels and sacks. Good daily mule run for provisions:

elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Ilessan+Towerhttp://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Ilessan+Tower
  • KrishakPanettier
    KrishakPanettier
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Actually not true. I have tested this extensively with every Green and Blue recipe from L20 to VR15, and most purples. You get the same inspiration making a food no matter what Improvement level it is. Only the level of the food or drink being made matters.

Thanks @Nestor you may be right. But, it certainly appears to me between making Green vs. Blue. Perhaps my blue are LVL 25 and green equivalent are LVL20 (as an example) and that would explain it. But, my current level Blue definitely go up more than my Green. I am on PS4, so I don't see the actual values it goes up.

Edited by KrishakPanettier on April 27, 2016 9:18PM
    Krishak Kringle aka KrishakPanettier, Templar (PSN:KrishakPanettier)
    -- PS4 NA --

PVP, PVE, and Trader Guild Leader
    Guild:
    - Rent-A-Zerg Mercs AD (one-time large AD PVP Guild - now PVP, PVE, dungeons, trials, and crafting)
    - Shadow Exiles AD (merged into RAZ AD)
    - Recruiting all levels, for help all in-game content. Not just PVP anymore. Not just AD.

Online:
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/RAZ.AD
    - Facebook: www.facebook.com/ShadowExiles
    - Twitter: @ShadowExiles
    - www: www.shadowexiles.com
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah ok @pudner if you were EU I could have helped. But the advice on this thread is bang on, and as you have noticed you dont need to cook the food for the writs just have it. But honestly if you can get a stack of mats, one recipe in each their and beast through it you can hit L50 in am hour or so.

Look up recipe trackers online may help, what I did was find recipes with similar mats on my alt, transferred him some stacks of 200's and button smashed :)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Thanks @Nestor you may be right. But, it certainly appears to me between making Green vs. Blue. Perhaps my blue are LVL 25 and green equivalent are LVL20 (as an example) and that would explain it. But, my current level Blue definitely go up more than my Green. I am on PS4, so I don't see the actual values it goes up.

I have an addon that shows me the exact amounts. Back when I first leveled my first enchanter, I thought the same way pre addons, and used an entire 100 stack of Purple Mats to try and make it go up faster. What a waste. I should have tested then, but no worries, I am now swimming in Purple Ingredients from Hirelings and Writs.

But, save your ingredients and make the highest level Greens you can make. That will level it up just fine. Figure on about 10 Operations per level, maybe ranging up to 12 as you get closer to the next rank of recipe (L25 vs L30 for example). Heck, I gained up to L45 on a character just doing Provisioning Writs. I was in no real hurry on this one as he is farming recipes, so I was not investing points into Recipe levels to make better recipes. So, even making L20/25 recipes for writs on my L40 Provisioner he ranked up just fine.

Edited by Nestor on April 27, 2016 10:39PM