The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

For What It's Worth I Haven't Had A Game Crash Yet

Publius_Scipio
Publius_Scipio
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
For whatever it's worth, my game has yet to crash. I downloaded the update through the client normally. I did not do any fresh install of the game. I know crashing seems to be widespread among the player base right now.

MacBook Pro Retina 15" (Late 2013)
2.6 GHz i7
16 GB Ram
Nvidia GT 750M
OS 10.11.3
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    All I can say is: dito. But then again, I haven't found the time for a really long play session yet. I tried stressing the client by merrily jumping around Wayrest (busy), Orsinium (mostly empty, but a surefire crash-provoking zone in 32-bit times), and Hew's Landing (very busy), repeatedly. No "luck". :wink:
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is: dito. But then again, I haven't found the time for a really long play session yet. I tried stressing the client by merrily jumping around Wayrest (busy), Orsinium (mostly empty, but a surefire crash-provoking zone in 32-bit times), and Hew's Landing (very busy), repeatedly. No "luck". :wink:

I made a comment in another thread that I notice the fans on my Macbook Pro run much more and louder than before. (PvP aside) prior to Thieves Guild update, while doing PvE the fans would either not be running at all or very slowly and whisper quiet. After Thieves Guild update during PvE the fans kick in much more and run faster and louder. However at the same time the underside of the Mac does not feel that warm at all.

Is the 64 Bit client tapping into more available performance so the Mac is running the fans? With some incremental patches maybe ZOS can smooth over and make 64 Bit client more efficient?
    Edited by Publius_Scipio on March 10, 2016 4:38PM
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The switch to OpenGL 4.1 is very likely more taxing on the hardware (textures have been improved, many assets can be rendered in one pass instead of two, etc), but I think it gets more bang for its buck out of it.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look, while I may be righteously ticked off at the lack of QA on the hot fix that went out on Day 2 which caused the crash on loot bug, once I got that sorted I haven't had any crashes at all. That includes going to Orsinium, otherwise known as the City of Crashes, opening crafting tables all over Tamriel, and spending quite a while in Cyrodiil using Crashitus, I mean Transitus Stones.

This is the polar opposite of the Sunday before release day when I was quite literally crashing every 10 minutes, regardless of where I was in the game.

I've always played with the graphics turned up pretty close to all the way up, as I had the horsepower and graphics card to do so, and don't believe in going back in time to an early 1990's gaming experience just to be able to play a game, In fact, I'm hoping to get another 16GB of RAM for my iMac to boost it to 24GB (Currently have 8GB) so I can crank the graphics settings all the way up and not have to worry about my system RAM getting too low with Safari running in the background, like I do now.

For me, the 64-Bit client has been revolutionary, rather than evolutionary. It's a masterful piece of work. Thank you!

That said...

You have a dedicated group of Mac players with a wide variety of machines of varying ages and architectures who regularly post on this forum, and who regularly play the game. Might I suggest that you at ZOS reach out to us and make use of as part of your hot fix QA team. Put up a special PTS server that is only open to your select group of Mac users, and then send us out an email when you need something tested. Tell us exactly what to test if you are looking for something specific. Doing this would have absolutely caught the bug where the game crashed whenever you attempted to loot anything at all in the game. Let us help you, because in the long run it helps us.
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say that this is now the most stable Mac client I've experienced since the game launched! Thank You ZOS! <3

Now let's focus on getting those graphical glitches ironed out! ;)
  • tfraley
    tfraley
    I agree less crashing.. but on the flip side still getting pink textures and missing parts of maps as well as longer load times now
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing any of that. I'm wondering if it's related to which graphics card you're using. I've got an NVIDIA card in mine. Yours wouldn't happen to be an AMD card would it?