Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Adding rare crafting motifs to library

Gargath
Gargath
✭✭✭✭✭
Now just to read a new book of special motif, and this way to add it to library, is needed to have enough lvl of the crafting passive unlocked - this info comes from game.

Why can't we read any books on any level, saving them in library for later time, when we'll be able to craft having enough passives?

For example I can't read books of Xivkyn style, which I have bought somewhere for a good price, instead must keep them in bank untill my passives lvl9 are unlocked. That's not a convenient way, and unnecessarily takes inventory space.
PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the release of ESO, everyone could learn any motif and they were farmable in all locations, but that got a heavy nerf ...and Imperial Motif used to be blue, now it's yellow >.< I don't know why they changed it, it is pretty annoying.

Most veterans in my guild are tired of Mercenary motifs, and because their prices are so low ..nobody bothers to set them for sale, they just fill up the guildbank with them. I can't even give those motifs away to my lower level members, because they don't have the crafting level to read them.

Dwemer and some Xivkyn pieces are also cheap and nobody wants them, and my guild is not the only one with this problem. I'm in 2 other guilds that suffer from the same >.<
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on April 11, 2016 5:23PM
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good point, I'd like to buy many xivkyn and mercenary motifs for my different characters, I have enought gold, but without enough crafting passives that would be simply unwise, so they will be kept in stores forever.

Something needs to be done on this to improve trading - @ZOS pls address it as an issue. It probably doesn't need any great changes in game.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    That is a good point, I'd like to buy many xivkyn and mercenary motifs for my different characters, I have enought gold, but without enough crafting passives that would be simply unwise, so they will be kept in stores forever.

You really want to pick one character to be your master crafter (even if they are not yet ready as your leveling two of them due to skill point limitations or inventory issues). Eventually, you will have enough skill points and inventory space to do all the equipment crafting on one character. Last thing you want to do is try to get motifs for all your alts. I mean you can, but it will be very expensive for not that much benefit, especially if you don't have all the traits researched on each character.

Crown Store Motifs do not have the Material Level limitation, just the in game looted ones do.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Crown Store Motifs do not have the Material Level limitation, just the in game looted ones do.
    Ah ok, I forgot that some of the limitations, like this one, are related with subscription/crown issues :).

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    Nestor wrote: »
    Ah ok, I forgot that some of the limitations, like this one, are related with subscription/crown issues :).

Right, I don't think they'll remove the level restrictions, as that would reduce the advantage of the Crown versions. Also, these motifs are considered high-end motifs and designed as a reward of sorts for crafters. As you level your crafting skill and put points into the passives, you can craft in new styles.

However, this does affect guild sales, as I'm sure there are a lot of newbies who would like to take advantage of the cheap prices but don't have the inventory/bank space to store them.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Recipes can be learned ahead of time before you have the skill points invested to use them, so it would be nice to have motifs work the same way.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    Recipes can be learned ahead of time before you have the skill points invested to use them, so it would be nice to have motifs work the same way.

Yes, I agree it would be nice, but I don't think they'll do it. I think it made sense prior to the introduction of Dwemer, since before that, there were only the 4 purple motifs, which could only be looted in Vet zones, so most people didn't find them until then. Yes, they could still be purchased at guild traders, but since they're a full book, they don't take up that much inventory space, so buying ahead of time wasn't too taxing to inventory.

With these new motifs broken out in pages, it becomes problematic, especially since these can be found pre-Vet. But, due to them being available in the Crown Store (now or in future) without a level restriction, I don't think they'll remove the restriction for the in-game versions.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on April 15, 2016 4:28PM
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As I understand the OP, the issue is one of inventory constraints. You want to remove level restrictions on purple motifs to save bag space. I don't agree this is necessary. Those of us here since the beginning were able to work around this before we got quite a few increases in bag space. It's not like purple motifs drop from the sky. It's true that with all the new styles and the change from books to chapters that a lot more space is needed. But not so many that can't be handled with a few mules. I'd say the OP complaint would be more valid if it was hard to level crafting, but that is not the case. I have 5 active alts. 3 are already max level in most crafts, and two are well on the way. But only my main/crafter learns higher level motifs. Also, there seems no point to crafting gear with more desirable motifs at low levels since it quickly becomes useless anyway, not to mention that the style mats are harder to obtain. To use higher level motifs, skill points need to go in only one craft, so at most 9-10 SP to learn all motifs. Not really that much to ask when there are so many SP available. The game is already so much easier than it was originally, I would hate to see even more challenges and obstacles to advancement removed. What is the point of even playing if everything is so easy to get?
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Ilsabet wrote: »

Yes, I agree it would be nice, but I don't think they'll do it. I think it made sense prior to the introduction of Dwemer, since before that, there were only the 4 purple motifs, which could only be looted in Vet zones, so most people didn't find them until then. Yes, they could still be purchased at guild traders, but since they're a full book, they don't take up that much inventory space, so buying ahead of time wasn't too taxing to inventory.

With these new motifs broken out in pages, it becomes problematic, especially since these can be found pre-Vet. But, due to them being available in the Crown Store (now or in future) without a level restriction, I don't think they'll remove the restriction for the in-game versions.

It's not about changing the level restrictions for crafting with the styles, but rather allowing a character to "consume" the motif at any time and then having the ability to use the style for crafting only appear after you've met the requirements. Like how my provisioner can learn tier 6 recipes but won't be able to make them until I get her up to tier 6 provisioning.

Of course there are way more recipes than motifs so I can see why they did recipes that way. It would just be very convenient if they'd do the same thing with motifs since there are so many pages out there now.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For the longest time, we only had 4 rare motifs to worry about for inventory, if we were saving them until our crafter could learn them. When Dwemer was introduced, the total became 18. Each new motif adds 14, and there are what, 12 of these so far, with more on the horizon. That's 168 slots, so several mules for new players, and that's on top of the space needed for mats.

That said, I agree that these rare styles don't need to be crafted for low level characters, since it's a waste of the rare style stones. However, the 4 purple motif books required lvl 6, then 7, then 8, then 9. All of the new ones require 9 or 10 (glass and alliance styles).

Perhaps some of these motifs, especially Mercenary, could be learned at lvl 6 or 7. Spread these out a little over the same passive skill level range as the four initial purple motifs.