Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Crown mimic stones and gold

thomas1970b16_ESO
thomas1970b16_ESO
✭✭✭
Hello,

I noticed when I crafted a piece of gear using a crown mimic stone and then later deconstructed it that I could then get that style material. I could then sell this style material in our guild store.

I am not sure if this is intended or not. I think you should not get that style material when you deconstruct an item when that item has been crafted with a crown mimic stone. You could make a decent amount of gold by using real life money this way, it is like trading real life money for in-game gold.
  • Elsir
    Elsir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had considered this a bit last week but I can't really think of any style material worth so much that you'd make any kind of a decent return on your real money investment. Most style materials, and I mean pretty much every single one, is either common enough to be negligible to even go search guild stores for or can be bought with in-game currency. The hardest I have felt is to get would be the Dwemer ones due to the amount of time and RNG involved in scouring very specific dungeon types, then having to put together 10 of those to make 1 style material. However, it seems Dwemer is not a style enough people seem to be seeking to, as I mentioned before, make any kind of worthwhile return on your real money investment.

That said, don't mistake what I'm saying as a defence for being able to get style materials from crown mimic stone created items. I absolutely agree 100% that it is probably better that you do not get style materials back from crown mimic stone created items at all. I thought it weird the first time I noticed I got something back.
    Edited by Elsir on April 7, 2016 4:51AM
    Anna (AKA: Elsir)
    Templar
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol it is possible but not worth it, so people in general don't do it. There might be some person doing this somewhere in Tamriel, but it's insignificant.
  • joker0137
    joker0137
    ✭✭✭
    It would just cost to much real money to use that as away to make gold.
    I think that the fact that you have spent real money the mimic stones means that you should get the style material back to do whatever you want with.
    Just A White Line Nightmare

PS4 EU server
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone who buys Mimic stones for the purpose of making in-game gold has no idea of the real value of money. They may have too much of it or didn't earn it themselves, or whatever reason which would lead them to throw away money on this game. It is very easy to make millions in gold without spending a penny in real money. But you won't hear any complaints from zos if you want to do this.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello,

I noticed when I crafted a piece of gear using a crown mimic stone and then later deconstructed it that I could then get that style material. I could then sell this style material in our guild store.

I am not sure if this is intended or not. I think you should not get that style material when you deconstruct an item when that item has been crafted with a crown mimic stone. You could make a decent amount of gold by using real life money this way, it is like trading real life money for in-game gold.

The patch notes had said that was intended afaik.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, this was noted in the patch notes that you have a chance upon deconstruction to get the actual style stone, rather than the mimic stone, back. I suppose it's a way to ensure that people keep buying mimic stones. If you get the mimic stone back, then you'd spend less money on future mimic stone packs.

Also, you aren't guaranteed a style stone upon deconstruction, so it's not a reliable way to earn money. But why would someone spend real money to try and make virtual money? It's not hard to find items in-game to sell in-game. Why would someone spend real money to do so, and in a way that requires time and materials to craft gear to then deconstruct, with a chance at getting the style stone which they would then sell?