Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Return of the pink textures

Ecstatica
Ecstatica
✭✭✭
FYI - back with a vengeance after todays patch, was working OK before it!
Filthy Gorgeous
(PC/EU)
  • TitanJeff
    TitanJeff
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear this. I didn't experience any last night but the lag was brutal at times.

I still have the blue or white pixel graphics on the ground left by footprints, spells and such. I've run repairs and adjusted my settings a number of ways but nothing seems to impact it.
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm also seeing weird stuff like that. Also last night the floor was missing in Cyrodiil so attempting to go anywhere resulted in falling to my death, but restarting fixed that one.
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I had pink textures on wolves, sorc pets, a few mounts and and vanity pets as well as on random critters. I saw the pink when I used the Launcher to start the game and when I launched it using the App without the Launcher. When I used Terminal to launch the game with the following commands...

cd /Applications/ZeniMax\ Online/The\ Elder\ Scrolls\ Online

cd game_mac/pubplayerclient/eso.app/Contents/MacOS

ulimit -n 5000

./eso

...no more pink textures.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    Ahha, now I didn't think to go back to doing this, it worked nicely last time - thanks, I'll give it a try until they fix it again.
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    Setting the file handle limit manually isn't necessary anymore. The client does it by itself now.

It worked fine until the last patch. Now if I run the game normally I get pink textures. If I run it this way, it seems I don't. Tis strange
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know the client sets the soft and hard limits both to 5000 now, I wonder if that's the culprit. Does ulimit -n 5000 only affect the soft limit, leaving the hard limit to go higher? I really don't understand why it works, but it does make the pink textures go away.

On a side note, I've noticed that my computer runs hotter since 2.3.8. I use smcFanControl from eidac.de to crank my fan and keep my computer cooler and it shows the current temp on the menu bar. I've been running 5 to 10 degrees F hotter since 2.3.8.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Delsskia wrote: »
    On a side note, I've noticed that my computer runs hotter since 2.3.8. I use smcFanControl from eidac.de to crank my fan and keep my computer cooler and it shows the current temp on the menu bar. I've been running 5 to 10 degrees F hotter since 2.3.8.
    It's very much likely that's an effect of the switch to OpenGL 4.1. It's much faster, better utilizing the hardware (e.g., whereas the ground needed two passes to be drawn in the old client using OpenGL 2.1, it now is done with only one pass).
    Delsskia wrote: »
    I know the client sets the soft and hard limits both to 5000 now, I wonder if that's the culprit. Does ulimit -n 5000 only affect the soft limit, leaving the hard limit to go higher? I really don't understand why it works, but it does make the pink textures go away.
    From the ulimit bash man page:
    The soft limit is the value that the kernel enforces for the corresponding resource. The hard limit acts as a ceiling for the soft limit.

An unprivileged process may only set its soft limit to a value in the range from 0 up to the hard limit, and (irreversibly) lower its hard limit. A privileged process can make arbitrary changes to either limit value.

If limit is given, it is the new value of the specified resource. Otherwise, the current value of the soft limit for the specified resource is printed, unless the `-H' option is supplied.

When setting new limits, if neither `-H' nor `-S' is supplied, both the hard and soft limits are set.
    So let's open a shell and we see...

ulimit -H -n yields unlimited
    ulimit -S -n yields 256
    We set ulimit -n 5000
    ulimit -H -n now yields 5000
    ulimit -S -n now yields 5000

This is exactly what the ESO binary does on launch.

And no, I don't have an explanation either...

Edited by KhajitFurTrader on April 15, 2016 7:01PM
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Launching though the launcher rather than the client directly (haven't been bothered to do the ulimit thing again) solved the pink textures... But the ground was missing from several places in Cyrodil (although unlike another poster here I didn't fall to my death, just walked over it).
    Would the ulimit command have fixed that?
  • Delsskia
    Delsskia
    ✭✭✭✭
    @KhajitFurTrader

Yeah, it's just weird. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe using Terminal to launch the game handles the DRM differently than the Launcher or using the App.
    NA-PC
    Fantasia
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • tfraley
    tfraley
    Having the same issues still as others here pink and missing floor textures