Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Buff keen-eye skills?

Sinolai
Sinolai
✭✭✭✭✭
I think this skill is pretty much waste of skill points as you can spot resources pretty easily on map as long as you know what kind of flowers/rocks you are looking for. I also believe I am not only one who think keen-eye as useless skill.
That is why I'd suggest adding another effect to keen-eye skills in addition to making resources easier to see: increases resources harvested by 1/2/3. This would actaully give people who are into crafting a reson to put a skillpoint in it as it would eventually double the amount of resources gained.
Edited by Sinolai on March 17, 2016 11:09PM
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or move the increase resource harvesting speed perk from the champion system to here. Level 1 keen eye works as it does now. Level 2 should receive a buff to harvest 50% faster and level 3 should be 100% faster. Then replace it with something actually interesting in the champion tree.
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or move the increase resource harvesting speed perk from the champion system to here. Level 1 keen eye works as it does now. Level 2 should receive a buff to harvest 50% faster and level 3 should be 100% faster. Then replace it with something actually interesting in the champion tree.

That might also work. Although I think harvest speed is not very temptating use for skill point either but it might be handy if you often run around the world harvesting resources.
    Edited by Sinolai on March 17, 2016 11:12PM
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree it’s pretty much useless. Most of the time I can spot things at a distance LONG before they start glowing even with the highest level of keen eye. There are only a few materials in a few specific environments where I find it helpful. For example flax blends in with all those blue flowers in grahtwood, and columbine are often hard to spot in any lush green environment, but overall… nope not worth it. In fact sometimes the glow obscures what it is so if you’re being selective of what you want to harvest you may end up running out of your way towards something that you’ve already got too much of or aren’t going to use.

For it to seem worthwhile the distance would have to be larger, and preferably yield more when you harvest (or at least have a chance of getting double or something like that), the speed aspect isn’t terribly attractive to me personally as it would really only be helpful when trying to grab something near an enemy and get out of there quick without engaging in battle. Although Water does seem to take inordinately long for some reason.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just wish we could toggle the Keen Eye effect. Keep the skill points invested, but be able to toggle the glow off.

I use Keen Eye for Alchemy nodes, as those are not easy for me to see from a distance in some cases. Most other types, I don't use.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    I just wish we could toggle the Keen Eye effect. Keep the skill points invested, but be able to toggle the glow off.
    I would enjoy a toggle because I like taking screenshots of the pretty scenery but if I have keen eye I have to run around and harvest everything first to get rid of the glows which is a bit annoying, which is also part of why I’m not to keen on these perks ;)
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind the extra loot nor toggle, but Keen Eye IS very useful for farming. It makes nodes visible always. I can see nodes in good conditions. But e.g. in Tamriel midnight flowers are pretty hard to see. I just did a run with lower level alt that has only one point to spare to each Keen Eye. I had to zigzag more than with my main crafter.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use keen eye because I play on low settings, if I had better graphics I wouldn't want or need it. During early release of this game, I played with close to maxed settings and Keen Eye was so annoying that I had to respec to get rid of it.

I agree with @helediron it would be nice to have it as a toggle, because having to respec depending on wether I want it or not is just annoying.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use keen eye because I play on low settings, if I had better graphics I wouldn't want or need it. During early release of this game, I played with close to maxed settings and Keen Eye was so annoying that I had to respec to get rid of it.

I actually find it even less necessary on low settings, when grass and shrubs and stuff aren’t being loaded, I feel like the harvestables really stand out against the much flatter, less detailed environment.

I agree it can get annoying. I tend to feel this compulsive need to keep running to all the lights…. which ends up distracting me from whatever quest I was on and leading me off in random directions till I’m lost.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always use keen eye, just not for things like enchanting.

Columbine is a pain to stop sometimes.

Try location stuff when your sprinting on your 60 speed horse with rapids on xD, it's very helpful then.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »
    I think this skill is pretty much waste of skill points as you can spot resources pretty easily on map as long as you know what kind of flowers/rocks you are looking for.

Good luck spotting columbine or mountain flower :)

• failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »

I actually find it even less necessary on low settings, when grass and shrubs and stuff aren’t being loaded, I feel like the harvestables really stand out against the much flatter, less detailed environment.

I agree it can get annoying. I tend to feel this compulsive need to keep running to all the lights…. which ends up distracting me from whatever quest I was on and leading me off in random directions till I’m lost.

I agree, same here ...except when I also put the resolution to minimum, then all things go to hell. Columbine looks like a dead bug on the ground, but Mountain Flower is close to invisible, and some of the lower tier cloth flowers are also close to invisible :/

When I quest, I completely stop picking up stuff, otherwise I also tend to go in all other directions and end up getting lost.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it useful as I'm colour blind. Helps things pop out a bit more.

Probably isn't that great for others though
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't need to buff a passive like this. If you like the feature, buy it. If you don't, save your points.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sinolai wrote: »
    I think this skill is pretty much waste of skill points as you can spot resources pretty easily on map as long as you know what kind of flowers/rocks you are looking for.
    Very good, please don't use it.

More Columbine and Mountain Flower for me ...
    smile.gif
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    There already is Plentiful Harvest under the Thief in champion points which gives 10% chance at a double node. It helps tremdously if your like me and play an excessive amount and pick up everthing (ya, ima hoarder...).
  • Sinolai
    Sinolai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »

Same here. The first thing that loads is the ore and after that comes the rocks around it :tongue:
    I admit that it might be some use if you are an alchemist (I have never been interested in that) but I do woodworking, smithing, clothing and enchanting. I had the keen eye skills once but after I learned what kind of rocks/logs/plants i have to look for I removed the skill points. Especially enchanting keen eye felt useless as the stones glow itself already (and even esier to see at night).

Try location stuff when your sprinting on your 60 speed horse with rapids on xD, it's very helpful then.

I can barely ever get my horse move that fast. Have to keep jumping down to harvest stuff all the time :tongue:
    SirAndy wrote: »
    They don't need to buff a passive like this. If you like the feature, buy it. If you don't, save your points.

You might be right.... reading the comments shows that some people actually like it. Those who don't need it don't have to use it. But I feel a bit incomplete with 50 smithing/Woodworking/CLothing/Enchanting but without all the skills :tongue: I can't call myself "master" like this.
    Mike0987 wrote: »
    There already is Plentiful Harvest under the Thief in champion points which gives 10% chance at a double node. It helps tremdously if your like me and play an excessive amount and pick up everthing (ya, ima hoarder...).

These champion skills could be put into keen-eye and make some room for something else, as suggested by AverageJo3Gam3r. And I am a hoarder too, which makes traveling really hard sometimes. (never had more than 30 bag slots free, no matter how much I upgrade the bag :tongue: )
    Edited by Sinolai on March 25, 2016 10:48PM