Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Need some help with my Magika Nightblade.

CraftyFox
CraftyFox
Soul Shriven
Hello fellow players,

I'm pretty new to the game, just reached the 2nd area in Ebonheart Pact, Deshaan.

At this point I'm a little confused. I want to have a sort of a glass cannon build and do a lot of damage, but I think I messed something up.

I'm not sure I understand how some of the skills work, maybe you can help? :)

I put 15 points in magika and 5 in stamina atm. I needed some extra stamina because I was always running out of it.

The problem is I don't know how the damages are tied..

Let's say I use my class(nightblade) skills. I see those use mana, but is their damage also based on it? The more magika I have, the more damage I will deal?

I also went with dual wield and I've seen those use up stamina. Does this also mean that more stamina = more weapon damage both with normal attacks and with skills related to the specific weapons I'm using ?

Not sure if I made some bad decisions with the build...

Also, usually I'm supposed to be viable against mobs my own level or lower? I see most quests that are marked "green" are usually ok, but the mobs are also like 3 levels behind me. The other ones, the "yellow" quests have usually mobs my own level. I can safely take on on one at a time, but more mobs and it gets difficult. Also, the bosses are considerably difficult. Is this because I went mainly magika and I have low protections? It's as if I make 2 wrong moves and it's game over.

Thanks for all the tips <3

Best Answer

• Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes that's correct: max Stamina increases the tooltip (damage shown on ability) of abilities which use Stamina, and the same for Magicka - at a 10:1. So you haven't gone too wrong and your Magicka TT damage will only have been reduced by 50 (5 points X ~100 attribute points /10) just put the rest in Magicka and when you go Mournhold you can redo your attribute points.

Most NBs use DW as they can either increase their damage (swords) or crit (daggers). However, they typically won't use any of the DW abilities when DWing and only use the class ones. Following on from that, make sure all of the NB abilities you have chosen are morphed to Magicka, they may start out as Stamina but will always have a morph either way.

Mobs can sometimes be difficult at your level. When I was questing I'd always make sure I was a few ahead because I like to feel strong and it speeds it up a bit.

If you're struggling with resources you can buy food and drinks from guild traders to increase the max (food) or recovery (drinks). Alternatively, if you're on EU I can make you batch as I have so many ingredients.

On my MagNB I run DW/Destro and Resto. Resto provides a good immediate shield and healing over time. Also, NB abilities like funnel health/swallow soul (and others which I forget) provide good damage whilst also healing you.
    Answer ✓
  • CraftyFox
    CraftyFox
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for your in-depth answer. Really helpful!
  • Gorilla
    Gorilla
    ✭✭✭

I have played a mag NB since PS4 launch (now V2) and would suggest you explore the class' utility as well as its dps. While the class can hit hard, I find the utility (read that survivability) aspects make it the most interesting to me. I rarely see my health bar move in open world when skilled properly, although those mobs aren't that tough. But you will be able to take down the toughest by yourself with all of the healing functions. It's a fun class, just don't expect it to be a Sorcerer.

There are some solid DPS builds available, however. Head over to the Tamriel Foundry and see how people are speccing these. But, as always, try out your own and find the mix that suits your style.

Enjoy!