Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Refining - legendary tempers

spartan002
Hi,
Is it still possible to get legendary tempers when you refine raw materialsfew months ago i used to get them quite often,
but since i started playing i havent got one after refining at least 10 stacks.
  • DinOwned
    DinOwned
    ✭✭✭
    Keep refining. I get more legendary tempers from hirelings than I do from refining...it's ridiculous.
  • DinOwned
    DinOwned
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be nice if you could buy legendary tempers with tel-var stones.
  • spartan002
    what is the best way now to get the tempers except buying them?
    The crafting writs?
    Edited by spartan002 on March 17, 2016 8:18PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartan002 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Is it still possible to get legendary tempers when you refine raw materialsfew months ago i used to get them quite often,
    but since i started playing i havent got one after refining at least 10 stacks.

It ebbs and flows, but over time I get on average 1 to 3 Golds per Refining Session. Note I tend to refine 100 to 200 total items per session.

Also, I have noticed something, others have too, but I have not tested to verify, ok done with the caveats: If you start to refine or decon a stack and you get very little from it after two or three operations (not talking gold tempers but any stuff other than refined mats), exit the crafting station and start over. It almost seems there is a factor that gets set when you start at the table that influences what your going to get. I know its going to be a productive session if I start seeing lots of trait and style mats coming from the refining right away and it will be a lean session if the extra stuff does not appear. Exiting the station and restarting seems to bump (in either direction mind you) amount of stuff you get.

However, that being said, your still going to run at the overall 1% to 2% Rate that Gold Tempers drop at. But you might have a better chance of not getting 0% if you try this.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartan002 wrote: »
    what is the best way now to get the tempers except buying them?
    The crafting writs?

Refining is the best way. My Hirelings, and I have 6 of them for each Equipment Craft at Tier 3, bring me Golds on a semi regular basis. But, I would say that it totals 1 to 3 on a good day, and there are more days that I get 0 from all my hirelings than I get any Gold Tempers. I get lots of Purples and Blues though.

Now I have to ask, what level are you making gear for? If your making less than VR15/16 gear, Gold Tempers are a waste to use.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• spartan002
    thnks for the info.
    I am almost v16 so i want to safe up some tempers.
    Sounds like i need to level up some more alts for hirelings.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tested refining after TG patch on live with 15000 raw mats. Drop rate was 6.1%, which is a bit higher than normal, but it is normal that the drop rate varies between four and six percent. My long term average from over all logged refinements from past year, totalling more than 100,000 raw mats, is 5%.

So, nothing has changed - just RNG as usual. On average a 200 stack gives one golden.

I concur with Nestor, Refining is better than hirelings. Farm mats that you can use for writs, and you can "recycle" them for second chance of goldens from writ rewards. Survey maps give a third chance and return part of mats back to cycle.

Following two weeks my crafters, half at 9/10 and half at 10/10 i could summarize:
    - With all gear hirelings, you can expect one golden per week per character.
    - Gear writ rewards from all three give one golden every day - two on good days.per character.
    - Enchanting writs give one or two kuta per week per character and one more from survey maps.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • spartan002
    thanks. that is some usefull and well researched information.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't deal with having to stop up and restart the session, I often wait and refine materials when I have 1k+ in one type. Most often it's 2k-5k materials I refine, and sometimes more... x_x

It may be a great tip if you don't refine as much as I do, however ....if you do, then it's too time consuming to have to stop refining lol

Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on March 23, 2016 12:50PM
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @failkiwib16_ESO

Where are you getting all of these materials!?
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sunburnt_Penguin
    I mainly farm most of it myself, but if I see some for sale for cheap, I will buy it. Farming materials is a bit relaxing for me, and I pick up everything ...only item I destroy is Ta aspect rune. I detest that rune >:)

My favorite area is Craglorn, however I don't go there during prime time, as many players without DLC access farm in that area. Wrothgar would be my favorite place, if it wasn't for the damn delay... if I get in battle, and want to pick up a node, I have to wait 1-2 secons after the enemy has died, before I can pick the node up x_x I hate that...
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always received more clothing legendary tempers than any other. And I mean by a lot, like 13 clothing : 8 steel : 4 wood. Since TG I've noticed an increase for clothing and a decrease for wood and steel.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sordidfairytale I also experience that, and it has been like that since launch for me.

It's also easier to farm raw material for clothing than it is for woodworking and blacksmithing, as there are 2 types of materials for it. Cloth flowers and the more easier to farm leather.