Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Blacksmithing Level 50 vs. Rubedite Ingots

dominic.iraceb14_ESO
i'm sure this has been discussed before, but i'm late to the game (as with everything else in my life)

I reached blacksmithing level 50, although i am still only a V11 in the game.. i decided to stop by a blacksmithing station to inquire about how many rubedite ingots will be needed for V15 - V16 use. Although the "V" rank is highlighted red (indicating that i cannot use the crafted armor yet):

-Example for V15 armor/weapons it stated 15 or 16 ingots (depending on which item i rotated to)
-For V16 - it stated 150 ingots!!!!! to make a piece of Chest Armor!!!

Is this just not calculating correctly since i'm not at that V rank yet, or does V16 armor and weapons really require that many ingots to make??!!!???!!

• Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it does require that many.

end game grind sadly
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, you saw that right. 10x the amount of mats to make VR16.

Time to start grinding for mats ...
    dry.gif
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Start saving and doing your writs, bud. After hitting V16 about a month I finally have enough cash to buy the missing mats to get full Legendary V16 gear.

Luckily, though, Epic V14s have seemingly been serving me well enough up to now and gold has been rolling in.
  • WalkingNorth
    WalkingNorth
    ✭✭✭
    It really does require that many mats. However, they have increased the drop rate of v15/16 mats if you have spent 10/10 skill points in your crafts. If you go through a scaled zone like Cyrodiil, Wrothgar, or Hew's Bane you will find plenty to harvest. Even rubedo leather scraps, which were the costliest material in the game for several weeks, have become more abundant. As a result, prices are dropping fast in guild stores.

It's still annoying because as you collect material to make armor, it takes up that much more space in your bank.

Also, note that the materials you can harvest depends on skill points spent, regardless of your craft level. The nodes you find in scaled zones will be the material your character is able to use.
    Edited by WalkingNorth on March 21, 2016 6:44PM
  • dominic.iraceb14_ESO
    holy damn.... well.. at least i'll be able to make a V15 Rubedite Set.. But what is the appeal of the V16?

Example.. if a V15 Rubedite Sword (Normal using 15 ingots) is crafted for 137 damage, what does a V16 Rubedite Sword (Normal using 150 ingots!) get me... does the 10x ingots also increase the damage 10x (1037 damage)???

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    holy damn.... well.. at least i'll be able to make a V15 Rubedite Set.. But what is the appeal of the V16?

Damage goes up by around 10%, when you go to VR16 Gold as opposed to VR15 Gold. At least on weapons. So, those are important to make in VR16 first.

As for gear, I have not found a compelling reason to go to VR16 over VR15 in Gold. The Glyphs you can put on the VR16 gear are more powerful, and a complete set of gear and glyphs will have more oomph than say going from VR14 to VR15, but not enough for me to get stressed about it. Now, I don't PvP and Trials are not all that much fun for me, so I don't need the nth degree of gear to have fun in this game.

So, I have VR16 weapons and VR15 gear on all my VR16 characters. I am now gathering mats to make gear for them. It will take a while as I have 4 of them and may soon have a fifth. But I am not in any hurry on this adventure.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    jamesharv2005ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just go around picking up ore. The difficult part for me on my V16 gear was the medium armor. You cant just harvest leather from nodes you have to kill mobs and they may or may not have any leather on them. Took forever to gather enough mats for a suit.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Example.. if a V15 Rubedite Sword (Normal using 15 ingots) is crafted for 137 damage, what does a V16 Rubedite Sword (Normal using 150 ingots!) get me... does the 10x ingots also increase the damage 10x (1037 damage)???
    Higher stats basically. The enchants give 100 more in stats than v15, who give 100 more than v14.

v14 purple enchant on head, chest or leg piece 590
    v15 purple enchant on head, chest or leg piece 702
    v15 purple enchant on head, chest or leg piece 802

v14 yellow enchant on head, chest or leg piece 637
    v15 yellow enchant on head, chest or leg piece 761
    v16 yellow enchant on head, chest or leg piece 868

The difference between wearing 3 v14 purple and 3 v16 yellow enchants is 834 more magicka or stamina. This won't make or break your build, however it adds up along with a ton of other things you can do to improve for your role. The most important thing to get in v16 is the weapons, then comes jewelry set and armor last.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on March 21, 2016 10:36PM
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol OP if you play 2 weeks with your VR15/16 char you will have more than 1k ingots. which is 7 pieces of armour then you will just need some more for the weapons. 2 weeks in MMO terms is NOTHING. :wink:

Don't let the big numbers scare you off...

And if you farm mats, ignore my 2 weeks statement and take that to a one week or less farming session...

If you farm right you will make enough tempers to actually make some legendary pieces as well ( you should have some by now in any case )
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Selstad
    Selstad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh it's not that bad, grinding is part of an MMO, and it's strangely satisfying to go around, collecting materials for a long time, then finally be able to make that piece of armour. I grow more attached to the armour I craft in-game in ESO and Guild wars 2 than I do in per example WoW, mostly because the armour is good and it took some work to get it.

Just put on some good music and get on grinding, it's not that much to gather when you get down to it, and beside, you need the upgrade components so refining raw materials is a good source to do that as well.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In Hew's Bane and Wrothgar you can farm lots of V15/16 mats. Once in a while you'll run into the problem of having lots of other people farming too. Still, just by farming mats along the way to the Thieves Guild quests, I picked up enough mats to outfit 1 char per week. Now the upgrade components for gold level items may take abit of doing, but it's something to work towards. If you save up your mats and upgrade components until Dark Brotherhood comes out, you'll have enough to make gold v16 equipment and won't feel bad if DB DLC comes out with a craftable set you really want, so you can make it also.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • dominic.iraceb14_ESO
    In Hew's Bane and Wrothgar you can farm lots of V15/16 mats. Once in a while you'll run into the problem of having lots of other people farming too. Still, just by farming mats along the way to the Thieves Guild quests, I picked up enough mats to outfit 1 char per week. Now the upgrade components for gold level items may take abit of doing, but it's something to work towards. If you save up your mats and upgrade components until Dark Brotherhood comes out, you'll have enough to make gold v16 equipment and won't feel bad if DB DLC comes out with a craftable set you really want, so you can make it also.

It sounds tempting.. but I don't have the patience for grinding (that's why Diablo 3 always drove me crazy.. hours and hours with nothing to show for it).. But I understand the concept and why things were designed that way..

Maybe like Sunburnt_Penguin said.. I could make a nice rubedite V15 Armor Set and focus the V16 materials for weapons??

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe like Sunburnt_Penguin said.. I could make a nice rubedite V15 Armor Set and focus the V16 materials for weapons??

That is what most of us do.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make a v15 purple set, then replace one piece at a time w v16 from mats you get playing.

There are also some nice v16 sets that drop from content. Five pieces of these sets means 650-800 mats you don't need to farm.
  • Techkey1
    Techkey1
    ✭✭
    Yes that is correct, it does take that much.
    CP 477 | Dark Elf | Dragon Knight DPS | Ebonheart Pact | Solo Player | No alts

More of a solo player. Learning to be more guild social lol. LOVING THE MORROWIND EXPANSION!!!

ESO PC NA

Love is what I know.
    Life is what I live.
    Death I will never see.
    Immortality awaits me.