Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Nirnhoned....

Xandyaffonso
I am researching traits for my heavy armors, and recently I realized that none of my parts have the trait nirnhoned, and I think that I never saw an armor with this trait. Then I searched for it in the guild traders. People sell a level 1 normal armor with no set, just the trait nornhoned for 9k+. Is it very rare to find? Because that is very expensive just to research one trait.

Then I looked at the effect of the traits. A normal armor with this trait adds 18% spell resistance. Does the effect stack? Does the effect increase when I improve? If I have 5 or more superior armors with this trait, will my spell resistance be doubled? Right now I have 23k without buffs. Will I have 46k plus buffs? Isn't that very OP?
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nirnhoned gear only drops from completing the Craglorn main quest, you will never find it anywhere else except from other crafters who craft nirn items to trade or sell. That, plus the fact that nirncrux itself is pretty rare, leads to the prices for those pieces being pretty high.

To my knowledge most people don't put nirn on armor pieces; infused, divines or impenetrable tend to work better depending on what you're doing at the time.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Xandyaffonso
    wayfarerx wrote: »
    Nirnhoned gear only drops from completing the Craglorn main quest, you will never find it anywhere else except from other crafters who craft nirn items to trade or sell. That, plus the fact that nirncrux itself is pretty rare, leads to the prices for those pieces being pretty high.

To my knowledge most people don't put nirn on armor pieces; infused, divines or impenetrable tend to work better depending on what you're doing at the time.

That makes sense. I haven't went to Craglorn yet, so that is why.

And do you know if it stacks? I mean, that would be very powerful.

Also, you said most people run impenetrable, infused and divines. What about reinforced? I'm a tank, just to clarify.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »

That makes sense. I haven't went to Craglorn yet, so that is why.

Also, you said most people run impenetrable, infused and divines. What about reinforced? I'm a tank, just to clarify.

Nirnhoned can also occur, very rarely, as a drop in Craglorn. Or, so I've been told. I've never seen this happen, personally. Otherwise you're limited to grabbing it from other players, or the single piece you get for finishing the Craglorn questline.

EDIT: Incidentally, that's what those level 1 nirnhoned items are for. Players craft and list them so that other players can buy and research the items. Not because anyone expects a level one character to go out and spend 20k on a nirnhoned ice staff. You'll sometimes see them in different tiers, I vaguely remember listing an ebony nirnhoned curass once, because I had a bunch of Ebony I wasn't using, and far less iron. But, basically that's someone just sticking the trait out there as cheaply as possible, and selling it. Because the item itself is irrelevant, you're paying to buy the trait.

For awhile the trait was bugged, and it scaled your total spell resist, but it was supposed to function like reinforced, affecting that item alone. So, it's not really that powerful. Before this was corrected, you could easily get 50k spell resist off of a full set of nirnhoned, so it would basically half incoming magic damage.

Reinforced gets ignored because the physical resist up from it is... ultimately, not that useful. Impen gets used in Cyrodiil to deal with opponents critting you. As far as I can remember it has no use in PvE whatsoever (or nearly no use). Infused to boost enchantments, and in turn boost outgoing damage or health. Divines to enhance a standing stone bonus.

The only place you're likely to see nirnhoned items in an endgame build these days is on weapons. The spell penetration effect there is still pretty useful.

Which is why Fortified Nirncrux will set you back about 5k, and Potent Nirncrux will set you back about 20k. Well, that and Potent is about twice as rare.

But, yeah, Nirnhoned is an endgame gear collection. Like collecting the individual page motif collections (glass, xivkyn, dwemer, ect.). It's not something you're expected to start working on early on.
    Edited by starkerealm on March 17, 2016 3:12AM
  • Artis
    Artis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as far as I can remember it has no use in PvE whatsoever (or nearly no use).

Nirnhoned weapons are good for magicka builds. If they craft weapons - those weapons would be nirnhoned. Both in PvE and in PvP.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, the main reason most learn Nirn is to be able to craft the 9-trait sets. The trait is useful on weapons for Magicka builds, but has about the same "usefulness" as reinforced on armor.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Currently, it stacks in that the extra 18% of Spell Resist (or whatever you Improve it to) stacks with other armors increase in Spell Resist. So, say you have one armor pieces that gives you 1000 spell resist and another that gives you 500 (these are just numbers, actual values can be much higher). Put Nirn on both and improve it so it's 18%. You get 1000 plus 180 and 500 plus 90, or 1770 total spell resist rather than 1500.

Putting Nirn on a couple of Armor Pieces instead of say Divines can be a good thing, depending on your build and gear. For example, a PvE Tank may want this on some armor.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artemis wrote: »
    ...as far as I can remember [impenetrable] has no use in PvE whatsoever (or nearly no use).

Nirnhoned weapons are good for magicka builds. If they craft weapons - those weapons would be nirnhoned. Both in PvE and in PvP.

Since the context was unclear in the section you excised.

I wasn't talking about nirnhoned, I was talking about impen having no use in PvE.
    Edited by starkerealm on March 18, 2016 10:33PM
  • thejynxed
    thejynxed
    Artemis wrote: »
    ...as far as I can remember [impenetrable] has no use in PvE whatsoever (or nearly no use).

Since the context was unclear in the section you excised.

I wasn't talking about nirnhoned, I was talking about impen having no use in PvE.

Mostly no use, unfortunately there are still bosses that can crit you (although they seem to be fixing/changing this every big patch).
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can farm nirncrux in these following nodes: ore, wood, cloth flowers and creatures that drop hide/leather.

If you farm enough, you will get 1 random nirncrux per hour, and you can either sell it or give it to a friend of yours to craft you a nirn trait item, or trade it for a nirn traited item.

PC/ EU prices: Potent Nirncrux 18k-25k, Fortified Nirncrux 4k-7k.

Nirnhoned armor is only used by pvp players or trial tanks, the rest don't benefit much from it. Nirnhoned weapons are good for pve and pvp Damage Dealers.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nirnhoned items drop from the new of the craglorn quest. You get one item per character you do it with.

Nirn on armor is useless. Reinforced gives more spell resist plus physical resist. It's only worth is research so you can craft 9 trait armors.

Nirnhoned weapons however are still first choice for most magica builds.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can farm nirncrux in these following nodes: ore, wood, cloth flowers and creatures that drop hide/leather.

If you farm enough, you will get 1 random nirncrux per hour, and you can either sell it or give it to a friend of yours to craft you a nirn trait item, or trade it for a nirn traited item.

PC/ EU prices: Potent Nirncrux 18k-25k, Fortified Nirncrux 4k-7k.

Nirnhoned armor is only used by pvp players or trial tanks, the rest don't benefit much from it. Nirnhoned weapons are good for pve and pvp Damage Dealers.

Yeah, those prices are roughly accurate for PC/NA as well.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Nirn on armor is useless. Reinforced gives more spell resist plus physical resist. It's only worth is research so you can craft 9 trait armors.

Which is a shame, because when it contributed globally, it was, at least, an interesting effect, even if it was overpowered.

As it stands, the buff for Nirn on armor probably needs to be higher, in order to actually incentivize it's use, and justify it's rarity.
  • dominic.iraceb14_ESO
    I have all 8 traits researched, but i haven't completed the Gold Quest Line yet (So i haven't made my way to Craglorn to get myself a Nirn item). But I have a ton of iron ingots available in my stash.. Why don't i buy a nirn trait item for each weapon and/or armor set (if Players have them available) and i'll research it, then make a ***-ton of iron weapons and armor with the nirn trait for everybody to buy?!? (Is this what people are doing already?)
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have all 8 traits researched, but i haven't completed the Gold Quest Line yet (So i haven't made my way to Craglorn to get myself a Nirn item). But I have a ton of iron ingots available in my stash.. Why don't i buy a nirn trait item for each weapon and/or armor set (if Players have them available) and i'll research it, then make a ***-ton of iron weapons and armor with the nirn trait for everybody to buy?!? (Is this what people are doing already?)
    Just so you know, even with the 10% ESO+ reduced research time, it take 28 days to research the 9th trait. And that also is with 4 skill points in each research passive. If you have all that and are research 9 nirn traits at once, it will still take a few months to complete all nirn traits. As for the rest of your scenario, I'm sure there are those who farm nirn to sell gear for research. Since I have no idea what nirn equipment folks would be looking for, I find it easier to just sell the nirn. You won't make much more than the price of the nirn by making research items for sell.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)