Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Legerdemain-thieving success and what you wear?

bleissa
bleissa
✭✭
Hi. I'm relatively new to ESO. Is my success with legerdemain-thieving influenced by what I'm wearing at the time? For example, while pickpocketing, am I more likely to succeed by wearing light armor compared with heavy armor? Thanks in advance!

Best Answers

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The set itself doesn't change any of the mechanics for pick pocketing, picking locks etc.

The only difference comes from your detection radius when sneaking. Players with Medium Armour and the Improved Sneak Passive Skill from this set will have a smaller detection radius by NPC's

Light and heavy armour are just based on the natural/flat value of this and neither is worse than the other.

There are also a racial Stealthy Passive Skill (Khajit and Bosmer), some amour sets (Night Mothers Embrace, Nightsade)

I've included links with all the skill/set mentions and I hope this helps answer your question.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Answer ✓
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Vampirism makes sneaking easier due to Dark Stalker passive skill.
    2. Medium armor makes sneaking easier due to Improved Sneak passive skill.

As @Turelus mentioned above, there are both craftable and lootable sets also have beneficial bonuses for sneaking, as well as racial and Nightblade class skills.

I lvl'ed Legerdemain up fast by just using cheap potions made of Nirnroot and Blue Entoloma, and had none of the above buffs. My char is an Altmer Templar lol :p
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on March 17, 2016 4:55PM
    Answer ✓
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently my favorite setup is 5pc Night Mother's Embrace + 5pc of Medium Armor of your choice. My suggestion is, since you can go about putting together a sneak set in many ways, to prioritize stealth detection radius > reduced cost of sneaking > sneak movement speed. The 5pc NM + 5 medium is enough to get you through any of the heists with little issue. Vampirism will make you move faster while sneaking (Dark Stalker), but I advise limiting your sneak speed to some extent. During heists, you'll be in narrow hallways and caves and small rooms/corridors with limited room for error. It's very easy to move past a safe area with sneak speed, and in several situations has resulted in me being caught simply because I moved to quickly in stealth. Detection radius is definitely more important than sneak speed.
    Answer ✓
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bleissa wrote: »
    Many thanks to the three of you for your collective informative responses.

Autolycus: What level do you need to wear NME? Can it be purchased via the trade guilds?

NME is originally a level ~26 set. If you plan on just using it for sneaky stuff (and not combat) then you can wear it at any level. The same is true for Nightshade (I think?) so you can piece together a sneak set without it necessarily being at your level. NME now comes in vr16 as well. I found most of my NME on guild stores before it was at vr16, now it's very abundant on stores in vr16 as well.
    Answer ✓
  • bleissa
    bleissa
    ✭✭
    Many thanks to the three of you for your collective informative responses.

Autolycus: What level do you need to wear NME? Can it be purchased via the trade guilds?