The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I am squishy... oh so squishy

• LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DschiPeunt wrote: »
    GrimMauKin wrote: »
    I'm V16 but still feel squishy as a Nightblade (my only character) especially when I see people soloing world bosses and dungeons in Craglorn. Death stroke is handy and can be used quickly (I think it'll pretty much recharge from a single light attack) and I find Swallow Soul a reasonable damage dealer that heals a little too.

You're a nightblade, man. Funnel health all the way! :wink:

On a stam build with bow/dw?
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Get new armor.

tumblr_nas8m9padN1sph0h8o1_500.jpg

Problem solved.
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    GrimMauKin wrote: »
    I'm V16 but still feel squishy as a Nightblade (my only character) especially when I see people soloing world bosses and dungeons in Craglorn. Death stroke is handy and can be used quickly (I think it'll pretty much recharge from a single light attack) and I find Swallow Soul a reasonable damage dealer that heals a little too.

You're a nightblade, man. Funnel health all the way! :wink:

On a stam build with bow/dw?

That wasn't meant for OP, but for @GrimMauKin, who I assumed to be a magicka build :)
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
  • Balisan
    Balisan
    Soul Shriven
    I recommend this:

-Take whatever points you have in Magicka and redistribute them to HP.

-Put Bombard (Arrow Spray) on your bow bar. It's movement-locking debuff can be applied indefinitely to trash mobs, so you can kite the additional mobs in a boss fight while wiping them out with a great balance of speed and safety. It's the absolute most useful ability in the game for playing solo.

-Pair Bombard with Leeching Strikes (Siphoning Strikes). Both versions of the ability will return substantial amounts of Stamina and Magicka on every basic attack. If you pair Bombard with one of them, you can hold off mobs literally indefinitely by spamming 2~3 light attacks between Bombard casts.

-Definitely replace Mass Hysteria with Shadow Image (Summon Shade). Mass Hysteria is great for PvP where the AoE "stun" fends off multiple people, but it is not worth it at all against a boss, especially when Shadow Image is available as an alternative. Shadow Image will apply the same "Minor Maim" debuff as Mass Hysteria against a single target, but for a much longer duration. It also provides at least some DPS, and it even has a function to teleport you to the phantom you leave behind, which you can use to kite and dodge for days while conserving your precious stamina.

-Replace Lethal Arrow with Focused Aim. Lethal Arrow does more damage on its own than Focused Aim, without question, but the armor debuff on Focused Aim will increase the damage of your rotations by much more. Also, the burst damage will help put strong mobs within execution thresholds much more quickly, meaning you can use Killer's Blade faster for that instant heal.

-Replace Venom Arrow with Poison Injection. Venom Arrow's ability to interrupt spellcasts is very valuable, no doubt about it. But that functionality is put to better use in PvP, just like Mass Hysteria. The execution damage of Poison Injection is very strong, and starts proccing when the target is at <50% HP, making it really useful against bosses.

-With Bombard available for easy AoE, Whirling Blades is unnecessary. I'd replace it with Power Extraction (Drain Power), as it is the best way for a Dual Wielder to get the "Major Brutality" buff, which increases your Weapon Power by 20% for 20 whole seconds.

-Don't use the same ultimate on both bars. It's an almost complete waste of opportunity. Put something on your melee bar like Soul Harvest (Death Stroke). Thanks to its effect of granting extra ultimate on every kill, it can be used very frequently, and it will help you cast Soul Tether much more often as well.

-Dark Cloak is not as good as Shadowy Disguise in general until you get to PvP. The extra damage you can put into a rotation with the automatic crit is well worth not being able to get rid of a DoT most of the time.

Your setup may look something like this:

- Bow - Bombard/Power Extraction, Reaper's Mark, Focused Aim, Poison Injection, Leeching Strikes, Soul Tether
    - Dual - Shadow Image, Ambush, Shadowy Disguise, Surprise Attack, Killer's Blade, Soul Harvest

And your opening rotation against an enemy you want to chunk in a matter of moments would look something like this:
    * "la" means to do a light attack immediately after the listed ability is cast

(sneaking) > Reaper's Mark > (swap bars) > Shadow Image > (swap bars) > Focused Aim la > Poison Injection la > (swap bars) > Ambush > Shadowy Disguise > Soul Harvest la > Shadowy Disguise > Surprise Attack la > Surprise Attack la > Shadow Image (recast) > (swap bars) > Leeching Strikes > (kite around with bow attacks until resources come back up)

Parts of that rotation are great for engaging fewer but stronger mobs. I use it myself and it works like a charm.

Important Tactics:

- Using a bow and kiting a boss around while you regenerate from using a melee burst is usually much more beneficial to your health than spending the whole fight in melee range.

- Keep one or two trash mobs alive with low HP. If you need a quick heal, then use Reaper's Mark on a mob and proceed to one-shot it with Killer's Blade to heal a whopping 80% of your HP.
    Imperial Nightblade, V5
    Dual Wielding and Archery
    Bal-Busters
    Daggerfall Covenant

I aim beyond the level of "glass cannon." I aim to be more like a shaped charge made out of some C4 and a wet piece of rice paper.
  • Rva_Kun
    Rva_Kun
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a l2p issue.
    Actions Speak Louder Than Words.
    Fear Over The Internet = Priceless.
    Correcting Ego's Since 03'
    NA > EU

• TitanJeff
    TitanJeff
    ✭✭
    Balisan wrote: »
    I recommend this:

-Take whatever points you have in Magicka and redistribute them to HP.

-Put Bombard (Arrow Spray) on your bow bar. It's movement-locking debuff can be applied indefinitely to trash mobs, so you can kite the additional mobs in a boss fight while wiping them out with a great balance of speed and safety. It's the absolute most useful ability in the game for playing solo.

-Pair Bombard with Leeching Strikes (Siphoning Strikes). Both versions of the ability will return substantial amounts of Stamina and Magicka on every basic attack. If you pair Bombard with one of them, you can hold off mobs literally indefinitely by spamming 2~3 light attacks between Bombard casts.

-Definitely replace Mass Hysteria with Shadow Image (Summon Shade). Mass Hysteria is great for PvP where the AoE "stun" fends off multiple people, but it is not worth it at all against a boss, especially when Shadow Image is available as an alternative. Shadow Image will apply the same "Minor Maim" debuff as Mass Hysteria against a single target, but for a much longer duration. It also provides at least some DPS, and it even has a function to teleport you to the phantom you leave behind, which you can use to kite and dodge for days while conserving your precious stamina.

-Replace Lethal Arrow with Focused Aim. Lethal Arrow does more damage on its own than Focused Aim, without question, but the armor debuff on Focused Aim will increase the damage of your rotations by much more. Also, the burst damage will help put strong mobs within execution thresholds much more quickly, meaning you can use Killer's Blade faster for that instant heal.

-Replace Venom Arrow with Poison Injection. Venom Arrow's ability to interrupt spellcasts is very valuable, no doubt about it. But that functionality is put to better use in PvP, just like Mass Hysteria. The execution damage of Poison Injection is very strong, and starts proccing when the target is at <50% HP, making it really useful against bosses.

-With Bombard available for easy AoE, Whirling Blades is unnecessary. I'd replace it with Power Extraction (Drain Power), as it is the best way for a Dual Wielder to get the "Major Brutality" buff, which increases your Weapon Power by 20% for 20 whole seconds.

-Don't use the same ultimate on both bars. It's an almost complete waste of opportunity. Put something on your melee bar like Soul Harvest (Death Stroke). Thanks to its effect of granting extra ultimate on every kill, it can be used very frequently, and it will help you cast Soul Tether much more often as well.

-Dark Cloak is not as good as Shadowy Disguise in general until you get to PvP. The extra damage you can put into a rotation with the automatic crit is well worth not being able to get rid of a DoT most of the time.

Your setup may look something like this:

- Bow - Bombard/Power Extraction, Reaper's Mark, Focused Aim, Poison Injection, Leeching Strikes, Soul Tether
    - Dual - Shadow Image, Ambush, Shadowy Disguise, Surprise Attack, Killer's Blade, Soul Harvest

And your opening rotation against an enemy you want to chunk in a matter of moments would look something like this:
    * "la" means to do a light attack immediately after the listed ability is cast

(sneaking) > Reaper's Mark > (swap bars) > Shadow Image > (swap bars) > Focused Aim la > Poison Injection la > (swap bars) > Ambush > Shadowy Disguise > Soul Harvest la > Shadowy Disguise > Surprise Attack la > Surprise Attack la > Shadow Image (recast) > (swap bars) > Leeching Strikes > (kite around with bow attacks until resources come back up)

Parts of that rotation are great for engaging fewer but stronger mobs. I use it myself and it works like a charm.

Important Tactics:

- Using a bow and kiting a boss around while you regenerate from using a melee burst is usually much more beneficial to your health than spending the whole fight in melee range.

- Keep one or two trash mobs alive with low HP. If you need a quick heal, then use Reaper's Mark on a mob and proceed to one-shot it with Killer's Blade to heal a whopping 80% of your HP.

Wow. Amazing suggestions. Thanks for taking all the time this must have taken. I still have a lot to learn in this game about skills and tactics. I am not quick-handed so tend to be lazy when it comes to swapping bars but, with practice, this seems doable by a old dude like me. ;)

One good point made by others is about 2H being better for PvP versus D/W. I feel I need to build up my 2H just so I can get Rally and some of the other skills there. Are you still D/W in PvP?
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your not using cripple to slow your enemies and give you major expidition.

Your not using double take for major evasion and major expidition.

Your not using quick cloak for 20% AOE damage reduction and major expidition.

Your not using viel of blades to reduce damage and snare enemies.

Your not using funnel health to give you heal over time.

Your not using bombard to immobilize enemy mobs.

There are lots of tools you have to use to increase your survive ability.

Leveling a NB first toon with no champion points and without access to nice crafted sets can be a painful enterprise.

The pay off is end game you are the width of a sheet of paper from being completely broken and completely over powered.
    Edited by acw37162 on March 2, 2016 12:30AM
  • TitanJeff
    TitanJeff
    ✭✭
    acw37162 wrote: »
    There are lots of tools you have to use to increase your survive ability.
    I totally understand. And I'm here to learn and do whatever I can to improve it.

I'm quickly figuring out that this is a complex game with a lot of contrasting opinions. It doesn't help that a lot of skill info I'm finding is outdated.

But if building an invincible stam NB was easy, everyone would have one. ;)
  • GrimMauKin
    GrimMauKin
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's very much a learn to play issue for me I guess but it's fun trying out different skills and combinations. I used to use the bow a lot but am now focussing mostly on class skills.

As a casual PvE type of guy I'm seriously out gunned and outplayed in PvP; my characters built to fill what I wanted in an RPG sense and not optimised to be the best.

Thanks for all the tips though.
    I am one of The Great Mediocracy, those whose role in life is to provide the baseline by which The Few deem themselves Great.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The combo you have is very strong, you are missing some critical elements of sustain that I am not going to rehash, the above advice is solid.

I would recommend slotting flawless dawnbreaker on your bow bar, you won't be using it as an ultimate in PvE that often, but that passive 8% weapon damage is critical for sustained damage on the bow.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is like the fifth time I click on this thread only because I love the title lol
  • TitanJeff
    TitanJeff
    ✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    The combo you have is very strong, you are missing some critical elements of sustain that I am not going to rehash, the above advice is solid.

I would recommend slotting flawless dawnbreaker on your bow bar, you won't be using it as an ultimate in PvE that often, but that passive 8% weapon damage is critical for sustained damage on the bow.

Flawless Dawnbreaker hasn't opened for me yet but hoping to make that happen soon.

I've already adjusted a few things which has been a tremendous help. I'm still not as strong as I'd like to be against bosses but I was getting spanked hard before implementing some of the advice in this thread.
  • TitanJeff
    TitanJeff
    ✭✭
    Slashie wrote: »
    Get siphoning strikes. The buff from siphoning, it's incredible.
    I did some testing on my stamina NB and I was able to fully sustain myself even while spamming steel tornado just by having it active and weaving. That's with 700 stamina regen.

It's been very helpful. Any recommendations as far as what might be the best morph for Siphoning Strikes?
    Edited by TitanJeff on March 16, 2016 4:38AM
  • Feisty_Khajiit128
    Feisty_Khajiit128
    ✭✭✭
    All nb's are decently squishy, if you don't eat food! You can get 2-5k more health and stamina that way.
    I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee...

Khajiit Nightblade- V15
    Imperial Templar- V1
    Altmer Sorc- Lvl 28
    Dunmer Nightblade- Lvl 19 (WIP)
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    TitanJeff wrote: »
    Slashie wrote: »
    Get siphoning strikes. The buff from siphoning, it's incredible.
    I did some testing on my stamina NB and I was able to fully sustain myself even while spamming steel tornado just by having it active and weaving. That's with 700 stamina regen.

It's been very helpful. Any recommendations as far as what might be the best morph for Siphoning Strikes?
    [...]
    The info about siphoning strikes is outdated. Only one of its morphs reduces spell and weapon damage. So, if you morph it, go for the other one. It really helps sustain.
    [...]
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    are you wearing any set armor and weapons? to get the bonuses
  • Savage_Audacity
    Savage_Audacity
    ✭✭✭
    Wood Elf NB. Level 44. Bow/DW.

My level points: 2/8/33

I'm finding I remain reeeeeeeeally squishy versus any boss or anyone close to a 44.

My D/W damage is 1009 with a 38.3% crit. My bow is 904 with 57.3%

Bow bar:
    Reaper's Mark, Camo Hunter, Lethal Arrow, Venom Arrow, Mass Hysteria, Soul Tether

D/W bar:
    Ambush, Surprise Attack, Killer Blade, Dark Cloak, Whirling Blades, Soul Tether

I'm really blowing through stamina even after drinking something to help. I have stamina on all my gear though some are a few levels below.

I'm totally PvE right now. I'm sneaking behind. Popping a lethal arrow, following with a venom. I then his mass hysteria and go D/W pretty much following my bar.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Nightblades are very squishy theres not much you can do to take alot of damage aside from wearing a heavy chest piece for extra resistance and being sure to keep your major resistance buffs up by casting shadow abilities. To survive on a stamblade you will heavily rely on dodge rolling to completely avoid damage from big hits. If youre running out of stamina getting more max stamina isnt the solutuon focus on getting more stamina recovery. i would recommend using the blue food from orsinium called "orzagas triple trifle" it gives max healthand stam recovery. you could also try recovery glyphs on your jewelry and/or the serpent mundus stone. Hope this helps!
  • Savage_Audacity
    Savage_Audacity
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and also if you unlock vigor in the assault skill line from pvp it is the best heal for stamina nightblades.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wood Elf NB. Level 44. Bow/DW.

My level points: 2/8/33

Full Stamina. Forhet about splitting stats.

Bow bar:
    Reaper's Mark, Camo Hunter, Lethal Arrow, Venom Arrow, Mass Hysteria, Soul Tether

Forget about reapers mark. In ESO, be quick or be dead. Grim focus is an excelent skill for ranged characters and the morph relentess focus increases your stamina regen while active. Grim focus gives you minor berserk, which means 8% more dmg on each skill.

Camo Hunter is OK if you want to be a one hitter

Lethal arrow is inferior to the other morph, Focused aim, but is not a bad skill at all. You can keep it if you want, what you cannot do is...

Venom arrow: Bad. Or you apply poison from lethal arrow or for venom arrow (although poison injection is quite superior). If you want to have them both, Focused aim and Poison injection are the morphs to go. If you want to run Lethal arrow, forget about poison arrow and its morphs. Consider Bombard if you want to have a second bow skill (/arrow spray has the same problem than the other poison arrows), although it is not strictly necessary. Volley's morph arrow barrage can be useful too. And finally, Silver shards from the fighters guild is another great option as a second ranged skill (3rd if you consider assasin's will from grim focus)

Mass Hysterya. No, Never. Mass Hysteria is a gret skill, one of my favorie as a NB in PvP but it must work as a melee or CQ dmg dealer. You are at leats 25mts far from your target. Pointless? Yes. Change it for Dark Cloak, which is more useful

Soul tether: Same as Mass Hysteria, how are you going to use it from range? Here, the best you can get is soul assault from the soul magic tree until you get Flawless Dawnbreaker (the morph that increases wpn dmg) or Meteor (both are ok)

DW bar:
    Ambush, Surprise Attack, Killer Blade, Dark Cloak, Whirling Blades, Soul Tether
    Quite standard for a NB. Maybe drop killers blade since DW provide an execute through a passive. Change it for Vigor and you'll be OK. If you cannot get vigor, Refreshing path (morph of path of darkness) should keep you alive. Luckily, that skill uses magicka and is a HoT.

Whriling blades is a good skill, but it pales against steel tornado. If you feel your stamina loss is high, keeep WWB, otherwise move to Steel Tornado

Soul tether is a great skill for AoE, but in the same bar as WWB/ST is pointless. Deathstroke and its morphs, or Veil of Blade (morph of Bolstering Darkness) are much better for what you want to do.
    Edited by Xvorg on March 17, 2016 7:18PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique