Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

VR16 DK gear Medium for Stam, heavy or what? I cannot decide!!!

Duiwel
Duiwel
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey guys

All you pro DK's with good gear and Mag know how ( I just have stam know how ).

I have a serious question about gearing up ( heavy, medium, light ) for VR16 ( I can make both med & heavy VR16 if need be for my DK ) but would love multiple inputs...

So Should I go heavy or medium, should I go magicka or stamina?
I am a chameleon guys so VERY adapatable

currently running max stam attributes, mostly stam skills, with a bit of magicka ( like scales )
I am a ww ( stam regen )

Here are some thoughts I had just to show you I am not lazy ( I just don't want to waste all these VR16 mats as I am not a millionaire )
Medium armour:
Hundings Rage x5 (chest, leggings, gloves, belt, boots ) now I am not sure if I should go infused on the chest, leggings and impenetrable on the smaller pieces OR divines on it all...
Then Mordulkin x4 or Nightmother :/ can't decide

I will be going either 2h & 1h & shield or 2h & DW... so the one bar will have 2 set bonusses regardless ( might have a bow in inventory )

Heavy:
Might go Spectre's Eye, Way of the Arena or Armor Master I really can't decide... ( keep in mind both my medium armour sets & heavy sets I am suggesting can be overruled by you guys' decisions & advice :wink: I am really all ears and willing to listen to sound advice )
Prob impenetrable & infused for heavy no idea on the trait really...

For weapons I use precise 90% of the time...

So in short:

OP has no idea to go Mag DK ( which is stronger right now) or stay STAM DK ( he has no preference over the other and has played both at least so has basic understanding of both )

OP cannot decide what sets ect. he should use & his favourate Youtubers have not really made updated videos yet so he is at a dead end.

Op is looking to the knowledge of the elders for guidance as he has never made Medium / heavy VR16 gear and has only made light gear for his sorc ( sorcs are so easy to cater for :neutral: )

@Duiwel:
Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mobs and Bosses and general DPS for a Stamina Build Medium Armor

Tanking Heavy Armor
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Mobs and Bosses and general DPS for a Stamina Build Medium Armor

Tanking Heavy Armor

and for PvP in the current builld would you advocate MagDK? ( also would you use heavy or light for MagDK PvP )?

@Duiwel:

• gamerguy757
    gamerguy757
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medium for Stan. Willows path and Morkuldin
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people are hyped for mag DK changes, but I still think they'll struggle in PvP due to lack of escape. Regardless, if you want to try it, 5pc kags hope, 2pc bloodspawn, 2pc torugs pact with willpower jewelry is a classic combination. You could make this work for light or heavy, though with heavy I might go with engine guardian instead.
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Joe, first detailed answer that stayed on topic ( mag DK ), I just want to craft a set for mag DK so I can switch interchangeably :sunglasses:

I mean I can pretty much swap the skills around to have morphs for both builds and just have to switch attributes when I feel like a change or when I have to...

At present I am still a Stam DK & I am having med armour made for me tomorrow. Hundings x5p, ( thinking of x2 bloodspawn ) for that ( Thanks for the tip Fengrush ) and for the other 2pieces no idea yet...

seems that with your suggestion the only thing that would change is the x5p set for magicka ... which is interesting.

I thought that x5 armour master & x4 orgnum's scale was going to be the obvious winner for mag dk. Since I thought they are more tanky ( Like I said I have no clue about MagDK ) I just grinded the skills in PvE and then went StamDK cause I like using weapon skills, Ransack :love:
    @Duiwel:

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put your magicka DK in light armor for DPS to pick up those magicka based passives.

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem with running something like armor master is that you'll deal next to no damage. In PvE, you can build a good tank (stamina or magicka). If you do this, nothing beats a good set of heavy hist bark. But for PvP, if you're too tanky, people will just ignore you because they know you're not a threat. That's why you need to balance your survivability with damage. Note you can get survivability in other ways too, like running impen traits on your armor and through the CP red trees.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP you want to play pvp, pve solo, pve group?

Edit: added awesome for awesome quote in OP's sig -.-
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on March 14, 2016 7:12PM
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So +- 3 heavy Julianos, x2 light & x4 Magnus for PvP?
    x5 impen & x2 infused?
    weapons obviously nirncrux or sharpened for the spell pen

Armor master and Orgnum or Songs of Lamea for PvE tanking?
    x7 infused? or impen ?
    weapon & shield - infused & defending

and for medium :

x5 Hundings Rage & x4 Mordulkin ( probably need Molag Kena or Blood spawn but for now craftable set 1st)
    x7 Divines? or x4 divines x3 impen?

I plan on doing both PvP & PvE, the medium set will definitely be more PvP oriented since I can always just give that to my NB... save for a piece or 2 with which the style won't fit him and it's more my DK's style.

The heavy is where I am unsure of this is why I need your advice guys do I make him a MagDK with heavy ( if that can work ) so he can PvP ( if that is even viable ) or should I not even waste my time and make it a tank set since I will obviously need tank gear?

Final question: For those who said go light for pvp, light is very squishy, should I go 1med,1heavy,5 light then? heavy chest, med shoulders, light everything else?

or maybe 4light,1med,2heavy? Say heavy helmet, med chest, rest light?

I already had 2 medium pieces made - hundings with divines I believe. So I would appreciate your input as to what would be the best for the heavy ( as you can tell from this post I am clueless )

Thank you for the comments so far & about the being too tanky tip.

Ideally solo pvp because then you can group pvp too... ( group will always be ez mode )

As for PvE I would say I would probably have a healer with me at most times ( I have templar friends in high places )

gave you an awesome back ;) as well as a few insightfuls
    @Duiwel:

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You always want to run 5L or 5H for the armor skill passives. There's no benefit in running 4L.

Here's my recommendations:

Stam or mag tanking: 5pc hist bark, 5pc footmans, 2pc bloodspawn or engine guardian. 5H 1L 1M

Stam DPS: 5 hundings plus some mix of morkuldin, 2pc engine guardian for solo PvP, 2pc valkyn skoria for PvE. 3pc agility 5M 1H 1L

Mag DK DPS: 5pc kags hope, 2pc bloodspawn, 2pc torugs pact, 3pc willpower. 5L 1M 1H
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weapon traits for pvp and trials Nirnhoned, if too expensive then precise for pve, sharpened for pvp.

this is how pve works:
    tank = heavy armor
    stam dps = medium armor
    mag dps/ healer = lightarmor

Usually it's 5-1-1 for armor parts, to gain the benefits from the Undaunted mettle passive. If you have spent attribute points in stamina and health, then this is maybe not needed and you're better off with 7 light, for the extra spell penetration. Please don't ever break the number 5 into lesser numbers <3 always wear minimum 5 heavy, medium or light. Because each armor type has a special snowflake bonus that you gain by wearing minimum 5 pieces.
    -
    For pvp
    It is recomended to go 5 light as minimum, if you intend to use a magicka build - however since pvp'ers are known for having poopy dps and high survival, you can blend in if you use heavy, but what you can deal of damage will be limited.

For survival and dps in pvp
    Sword and Shield. This will help you survive, regardless if what type of armor you choose to focus on. But it might be problematic, if you choose to play stamina with Sword and Shield, since most class skills are magicka based and S&S skills are poopy for dps.

I don't know enough about DK class, to wether advice you to go magicka or stamina build for pvp :/
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys you have convinced me, heavy is for tanking ( as I feared ) and I will just be wasting 1,1k Rubedite and a ton of T Alloy on it to make gear for PvP so I will make PvE tanking gear for my DK, use medium & light for PvP...

Like I know about the undaunted passive, but the 3% never really sounded that appealing I just have it on one char, since it sounds like it is actually important I will start using it more.

I prefer bloodspawn & molag kena over engine guardian ( unless it's a templar then Engine guardian is the nice one, gotta love those free resources ).

You guys are awesome & have been great help.

I am a very indecisive person when it comes to my DK. The only thing I made my mind up on was what armour style I want for heavy & medium :wink: Thus I needed this thread
    @Duiwel:

• LiquidSchwartz
    LiquidSchwartz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka is super nice with tg patch
    May the Schwartz be with you.
    EP/XB1/NA