Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is Blessed overkill?

David123
David123
I main a V16 Brenton Templar Healer. I pug dungeons most of the time. And when I pug I find I need to heal almost all the time with very short breaks in between to dps. I want to perform the best I can which includes healing, support, and dps.

I was considering moving my Blessed points in to Thaumaturge. I've reviewed builds placing mostly all points in Thaumaturge and others builds in Blessed. I wear a 5 piece Kag with Torug and Willpower. I'll be transitiong Torug out later.

Before I sped the gold to move my CP points, in general, have you discovered Blessed is overkill or do you feel it's worth to invest points in it?

I appreciate everyone's input and kind words.

Thanks!
David the Templar
David The Templaer
V16 Breton Templar Healer
Daggerfall Covenant

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello David the Templar.

I normally heal in dungeons, and I focused my cp in Elfborn and Elemental Expert. Thaumaturge gives nice dots, but it doesn't improve my dps overall compared to Elemental Expert. I used to have my cp in Thaumaturge though, because before TG DLC update, it used to buff magicka based damage, but it doesn't do that anymore, they merged magicka based damage with elemental in Elemental Expert.

Blessed is good, if you play with a good team, that makes enough damage for you not to worry about dps at all. I personally only use Blessed when I heal in trials, everywhere els I change my cp to be able to deal more damage.
    I guess the answer is yes, it is overkill :p
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on March 15, 2016 6:08PM
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done a lot testing and theorycrafting on Blessed and Thaumaturge. To keep it short, I note two points, which hopefully answers your question:

1. The changes to CP (mainly Thaumaturge and Elemental Expert) might merit you putting your points elsewhere anyway. Some skills like Jabs are getting buffed by Thaumaturge right now (which ZOS indicated is erroneous). Many Templar skills are magic damage, and many are fire; these skills will be buffed by Elemental Expert, and typically this is where you want most of your points, from a damage perspective. Radiant Destruction/Oppression scales from Thaumaturge.

2. Outside of the hardest content in the game currently, predominantly vet Maw, there is very little need for maximum healing potential. If there were reason for your heals to be in absolute tip-top shape, there would be a much stronger need for points into Blessed. I'm speaking very generally here, as there are a lot of factors: a blend between Blessed, Elemental, Erosion, and Elfborn is optimal.

I've done some testing recently (just prior to TG, no testing on this particular concept within the last two weeks or so). I won't bog down your thread with a bunch of numbers, but here is what I recommend for an efficient mix for healing and dps:
    100 points Elemental Expert
    1 point Spell Erosion
    40 points Elfborn
    26 point Blessed

I work a lot with hybrid builds, and by this I mean builds that can effectively be different roles by switching gear (i.e. a tank who wants to have a dps spec that can pull 20k+). I do a lot of testing to see what blend of CP and attribute allocations provide the best of both worlds. The reason I've selected 40 points into Elfborn is because it's one of the "step up" points for spell crit. I won't go into detail on that, rather, if you are interested, take a look at this thread. Basically what I've done is found a step-up point lower than the optimal point for dps, and put the difference into Blessed. It allows you to milk the damage potential of Elfborn, while still allowing for increased healing potential where the marginal gains still exceed the marginal cost in terms of CP. This type of CP allocation is very useful for healers who also want to contribute damage, or for tanks who also want to have a damage spec.

TL;DR - Blessed is unnecessary for most content, and is predominantly useful in trials. For almost everything else, you are likely better off putting those points into Elemental Expert or Elfborn for damage.
    Edited by Autolycus on March 15, 2016 6:20PM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Autolycus I overall agree with you, however there is an issue with Elfborn :/
    1, 5, 11, 17, 24, 31, 40, 49, 58, 68, 78, 89 << these are the optimal amount of Champion Points you should put into Elfborn, the reason for it is explained in the link below... and from what I know off it's an old link but still relevant :(

https://reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3mge2d/is_elfborn_working_as_stated_now/
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @failkiwib16_ESO It appears that we are stating the same thing, but if I'm still missing something please let me know. 40 points is one of the step-up points for Elfborn, which is what I suggested. The reason I've chosen 40 points here is because it limits exposure to diminishing returns for both Blessed and Elfborn, so you get the most "bang for your buck" with the limited points you have available for each star.
    Edited by Autolycus on March 15, 2016 6:25PM
  • David123
    David123
    Thank you for everyone's input. I really do appreciate it.

In dungeons I heal and try to dps when I can with jabs or Radiant Oppression. Also when I'm out questing I use jabs mostly. Autolycus you stated Thaumaturge is boosting jabs but ZOS stated that was not intended. Did they state if this was going to get fixed so Elemental Expert will boost jabs?

Thanks!
    David The Templaer
    Daggerfall Covenant

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    David123 wrote: »
    Thank you for everyone's input. I really do appreciate it.

In dungeons I heal and try to dps when I can with jabs or Radiant Oppression. Also when I'm out questing I use jabs mostly. Autolycus you stated Thaumaturge is boosting jabs but ZOS stated that was not intended. Did they state if this was going to get fixed so Elemental Expert will boost jabs?

Thanks!

This is where I'm not totally sure, unfortunately, and I lost track of the source. So I'll defer to anyone who can credibly confirm one way or the other.

Right now, Elemental Expert buffs Puncturing Sweep, Mighty buffs Biting Jabs, and Thaumaturge buffs both. I only heard that this was erroneous; it should probably remain this way imho. Every other class buffs their DoT abilities with thauma, above and beyond what they can do with Ele Expert or Mighty: DK DoTs get double-buffed by Ele. Expert and Thauma. The same is true for NBs magic-damage abilities like Cripple, which is buffed by both. Puncturing Sweep and Jabs are both considered channeled abilities (i.e. DoTs in the ESO world) so they should be buffed by thauma in addition to their "damage type" modifiers.
    Edited by Autolycus on March 16, 2016 7:20PM
  • David123
    David123
    Thanks Autolycus for your reply.

I'll move the Blessed points over to Elemental Expert.
    David The Templaer
    Daggerfall Covenant