Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Back OpenGL support for PC users!

NerfPlease
NerfPlease
✭✭✭
the PC client is no longer compiled with OpenGL support in TG DLC
its horrible and unprofessional decigion
Edited by NerfPlease on March 9, 2016 5:34AM

Back OpenGL support for PC users! 122 votes

i want OpenGL back
68%
SirAndyShadywackmontanawoodyb14_ESOsean.plackerb14_ESOtcrider84b14_ESOAnnrapoupouilleb16_ESODanikatDarocskoomatraitAlexiumchinojuan1990rwb17_ESODaniAngioneSighoticKetarmishtajniackMilvanSheezabeastsuicune_windub17_ESOJerdeh 84 votes
i dont care
31%
NormablockKallistaBlackheartNewBlacksmurfTaonnorXantarialmanteb16_ESOBlackersaubrey.baconb16_ESOa.ahanchiub17_ESOanitajoneb17_ESOGonzaSimzaniAnnalyseTroneonRSramRajajshkaLeradisp1nheadRubenFrozenAnimal 38 votes
  • KhajiitiLizard
    KhajiitiLizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I uninstalled this game about a month ago... now I wish I hadn't because of the new character bugs, nudity, messed up body parts, skin textures appearing on armor and clothing... it's frikin hilarious.
  • xellink
    xellink
    ✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    open GL is needed users running the game under WINE.
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    yes i hate this too
  • frethopper
    frethopper
    ✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    The withdrawal of support for anything other than DX11 is ok by me, I understand the reasons for it.

BUT...

It should have been well publicised, well in advance. Instead there was very little (if any) warning, and I think this is the main reason why people are so upset. I don't understand why a professional games company such as ZOS, who are otherwise very proficient, can be so bad at the simple concept of communication.
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    @ZOS_GinaBruno please help us

we cant play with OpenGL mode!why you also deleted Article from Help site how to run Pc client in OpenGL mode?
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    I was wondering about this today. Now when you change the graphics driver in the "Usersettings" file from D3D11 to "OPENGL" it switches back when you launch the game. Even tried changing it and setting the file to read only but it still used D3D11. I was curious to see how the new Open GL 4.1 renderer would perform compared to D3D 11, but it seems to no longer let you use OpenGL on Windows.
    Edited by sean.plackerb14_ESO on March 9, 2016 9:06AM
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    They could at least have allowed DX10 compatibility too. If it would bring the people using Wine back, it'd be a start with all of this mess, @ZOS_GinaBruno . I guarantee that a lot of us that are affected by this move won't be coming back. I'd like to, but as it stands myself and a majority of others are quite skeptical of the devs and the transparency of this issue. Updating the system requirements page in October of last year isn't enough. Throwing it in a wall of text on the PTS natch potes also isn't enough. Alerting your consumer base to a change drastic as this would probably have helped with this situation. That way we COULD have upgraded before this. Again, updated system requirements isn't enough. Stickies well in advance on addressing this specific issue would have been enough, warranted, and appreciated.

@NerfPlease ; I'll take a whack at that question. They deleted it because it's no longer supported. Swapping to OpenGL doesn't work anymore, so in their minds, why keep the page? It's one of those transparency issues that ZOS has a problem with. Either they're unsure of how to do it, or they just cut corners to save time/money.
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • xellink
    xellink
    ✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    maybe microsoft paid cash upfront under the table.
  • FleetwoodSmack
    FleetwoodSmack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    @xellink ; That'd be pretty sad if they did. Hopefully they at LEAST allow people to use Wine to play the game again. Maybe PS4 users'll get hit next. ;)
    Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies!
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i dont care
    This sucks and woops I clicked the wrong option in poll...
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    Troneon wrote: »

you cant revote?
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    i dont care
    NerfPlease wrote: »
    Troneon wrote: »

you cant revote?

Nope.
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    no response from ZOS?

subscription cancelled
    Edited by NerfPlease on March 10, 2016 7:51AM
  • BDB_Inc
    BDB_Inc
    i want OpenGL back
    I'm another user who was running under WINE using OpenGL. I enjoyed the game and subscribed for a year to support it, warts and all, but now I can't play, so I cancelled my subscription.
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    It doesn't affect me, but, I would support it for others so that they can play on their linux boxes.
  • tcrider84b14_ESO
    tcrider84b14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    i want OpenGL back
    I was again another one who only played the game via WINE. Really saddened by the removal of OpenGL
    Edited by tcrider84b14_ESO on March 10, 2016 6:57PM
  • Megalex1
    Megalex1
    ✭✭✭
    ESP never supported Linux so you guys are SOL. Just get a real operating system like Windows 10, it's free.
  • jkemmery
    jkemmery
    ✭✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    Megalex1 wrote: »
    ESP never supported Linux so you guys are SOL. Just get a real operating system like Windows 10, it's free.

F.Y.I. its only free as an upgrade to an existing Windows system. To switch over from Linux, you would need to buy it.
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    xellink wrote: »
    open GL is needed users running the game under WINE.
    Megalex1 wrote: »

Never played ESP.

I also used OpenGL for WINE on my Ubuntu machine. Would like to see it return but I highly doubt it will.

Have 3 other Windows 10 rigs so I'm still able to play.
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • BDB_Inc
    BDB_Inc
    i want OpenGL back
    nine9six wrote: »

Never played ESP.

I knew someone would write that. I win ESP!

• BDB_Inc
    BDB_Inc
    i want OpenGL back
    <Deleted duplicate post.>

Edited by BDB_Inc on March 11, 2016 1:32AM
  • Mastreus
    Mastreus
    ✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    Not only would returning OpenGL allow us linux users to play though wine, but it would give an alternative for windows users that are having trouble to actually be able to play while they wait for a fix.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    I can't believe they cut this from the PC client ...
    headbang.gif
  • chinojuan1990rwb17_ESO
    i want OpenGL back
    Basura y mas basura todo lo del ultimo parche, el juego se volvio una total basura, y para completar yo que vengo jugando desde la beta, yo que soy un cliente fiel, ahora no puedo jugar debido a esa mierda de "ONLY DX11", no puedo creer toda la plata que gaste en esta mierda, una total falta de consideración por parte de ZOS. ADIOS.
  • NerfPlease
    NerfPlease
    ✭✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    mierda means shieet
    all others i dont know
    but i agreed
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the flip side, next time Matt Firor is interviewed by a gaming magazine, he will be able to say they take technical issues very seriously and have reduced number of memory leaks by 70% this year alone, and he will not be even lying.
  • Uber_Lord
    Uber_Lord
    ✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    My fears are confirmed with forcing OGL.
    Well this sucks. Dammit why would they do that. Why?
    Just look at Gold ratings and latest Thievies Guild is GARBAGE rated.
    https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=15787
    Now I know Linux isn't officialy supported but what technical reason is there to remove OpenGL?

Looks like this is the only way left to play ESO on Linux without dual booting
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16dbAUrtMX4

EDIT: I just dicovered this. Darling is a translation layer that allows you to run unmodified OS X binaries on Linux. In its nature, it is similar to the well-known Wine project.
    https://www.darlinghq.org/
    Edited by Uber_Lord on March 12, 2016 1:06AM
  • Chaaya
    Chaaya
    ✭✭
    i want OpenGL back
    While my system handles dx11 very nicely,. my husband's did not. Being unable to log in was a bit of a shock to him .. The fact that I could get on just lead to increased grumpiness on his part. Some warning in game might have been nice.

Oh well what's done is done and one upgrade later , he can play once more.

Still , this gave me a feeling of how the sudden switch could affect players. While officially Linux may not be supported by the game, restoring OGL for users would be a a wonderful thing .
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont care
    get W 10 already, don't be so cheap....