Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Extraction Question

llSRRll
llSRRll
✭✭✭
When breaking down weapons, armor, and shields does the extraction perk line in the skills effect what you get? Do you have to have it like 2/3 to get purple tempers? Or is it all the same?
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    Guess nobody understands this too lol
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does, it increases your chances for extraction so say you extract a superior item ( purple ) with 0 points in the perk, chances are you will get a style mat and some of the resources of the item, do the same with max perks in extraction and you would probably get the epic temper...

Keep in mind the same applies for refining, 0 points in refining you would just get gems, refined mats. Maxed points you might get a nice epic or gold...
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    It does, it increases your chances for extraction so say you extract a superior item ( purple ) with 0 points in the perk, chances are you will get a style mat and some of the resources of the item, do the same with max perks in extraction and you would probably get the epic temper...

Keep in mind the same applies for refining, 0 points in refining you would just get gems, refined mats. Maxed points you might get a nice epic or gold...

It only affects the chance of getting tempers. Even without any skill points in extraction you can still get gold tempers (though it's very unlikely). Conversely, putting points into extraction doesn't guarantee you will get any tempers.

You're just playing the RNG game, adding skill points skews the odds a little better in your favour.
  • llSRRll
    llSRRll
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing your talking about refining, I want to know if it effects breaking down armor and weapons. Do you guys have any idea about that?
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    It does, it increases your chances for extraction....
    ...chances are you will get a style mat and some of the resources of the item....
    ...and you would probably get the epic temper...

It only affects the chance of getting tempers. Even without any skill points in extraction you can still get gold tempers (though it's very unlikely). Conversely, putting points into extraction doesn't guarantee you will get any tempers.

You're just playing the RNG game, adding skill points skews the odds a little better in your favour.

I pointed out some words in bold which you clearly missed since you thought you were explaining something to either me or OP, yet I already covered what you said.

To clarify:
      Nowhere did I say you would get more resources. Nowhere did I say you are guaranteed tempers.

Now I understand this line: "0 points in refining you would just get gems, refined mats." is where the confusion stems from, but you misunderstood my meaning.

What I meant was the odds of you EVER getting a Legendary temper from refining without the passive is so low you would have to refine upward to 600 materials on average. So it might as well be 0% chance because what new player would have that many raw materials in the first place? Especially since the nerf, which reduced hireling legendary drops ect. It also reduced kuta drop rates from aspect rune nodes as well as gold tempers from refining, but I'm sure you know that...

EDIT:
    llSRRll wrote: »
    I'm guessing your talking about refining, I want to know if it effects breaking down armor and weapons. Do you guys have any idea about that?

I only saw your reply now, yes it adds to that as well :smiley:
    Edited by Duiwel on March 9, 2016 2:40PM
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."