The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Should all DLC craftable armors require 9 traits?

LearnThis
LearnThis
✭✭✭
Yesterday I was thinking about this and wanted to know some other opinions on it. I was thinking that all of the DLC craftable armors should require 9 traits. This way it is something to work towards and will benefit those that have spent their time researching.
PSN: LearnThis
Bosmer Nightblade (Master Crafting, everything researched)
Dunmer Dragonknight
Breton Nightblade
Breton Mage
Argonian Templar
Norn Dragonknight
High Elf Dragonknight

Champion Points are capped

~I have completed Cadwell's Silver six times and Gold four times... Please do not tell me about the experience of leveling.~

Best Answers

• leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No? Some strong ones should require 9 traits, but making all craftable dlc sets unobtainable to people who haven't spent 3 months researching traits isn't a good idea.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
    Answer ✓
  • Mcwoods55
    Mcwoods55
    ✭✭✭
    Heck NO!

It would skyrocket the prices of all gear and people would never be able to obtain them.
    Answer ✓
  • Acharnor
    Acharnor
    ✭✭✭✭
    A big bucket of NO from me at the moment! But if I could more reasonably get gear to research the trait on maybe it would be ok even with having to wait forever for the research to be completed.
    Celebrate for life is short but sweet for certain.
    Answer ✓
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No and they need to rework the sets they already have.

9 traits should be reserved for very power sets. We need a mix of sets with DLC. Some good, some great!
    Answer ✓
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

DLC is not end game content for some people as they have all been designed in a way that players of any level can play then at any time. Making the crafting only max traits unlock would mean new players wouldn't have access to these sets.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Answer ✓
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    LearnThis wrote: »
    Yesterday I was thinking about this and wanted to know some other opinions on it. I was thinking that all of the DLC craftable armors should require 9 traits. This way it is something to work towards and will benefit those that have spent their time researching.

Only if they are good enough to warrant 9 traits.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
    Answer ✓
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't see a problem with new crafted sets requiring knowledge of the 9 traits. Maybe not all of them, but it would give value to being a Master Crafter - and an incentive to all those here who have said no :)

Though it a set needs knowledge of 9 traits then this should be reflected in the usefulness of the set. The value of some sets isn't reflected by the trait requirement (both ways - poor sets requiring a lot of traits, good sets requiring only a few).

As for sets being restricted to people who have bought DLC (with the usual complaints of P2W), the VR15/16 materials are already locked behind DLC - though you can buy them at guild stores. The new sets will be just the same.

Answer ✓
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heck no, unless the 9th trait becomes more accessible... As a solo player I spent a good amount of time in Craglorn, the only place Nirncrux can be found, and while I did find some of that oh so rare element, I have yet to find any item that has the trait...

by the same token, the ability to craft a set (Number of traits/skills) should be directly reflect the power of that set and how focused the set is, generic sets should be easier to build then focused sets... face it, an 8 trait set (Eyes of Mara) should be much better then a 4 trait set (Magus)

<Edit> Also, perhaps synergies between item sets should also be explored. </edit>
    Edited by Hamfast on February 29, 2016 3:21PM
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
    Answer ✓
  • Sneakyfool
    Sneakyfool
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the thoughts and responses. I was just trying to think of what incentive there is to be a master crafter as each DLC comes out if you could get the armor at low levels. Also, to a person's comment about the economy... I figured if anything having the requirements be higher as the game has been out longer would encourage people to craft and sell that gear. Would that not help the economy then?

It would, but not for the right reasons and would alienate too many people. How would you like it if the best crafted gear was behind a paywall and the only good way to make money was also behind said paywall. You'd be annoyed and rightly so.

Currently having 9 traits and all the different motifs will reward you with ways to make money and you'd be a sought after crafter, hiding it all behind DLC doesn't change that, just punishes those that don't sub or haven't bought the DLC.

So for that reason I see no actual benefit so I'm going to say no.

However it is good that your thinking of new ways to reward people for putting time and effort in, just on this occasion I don't think you thought of the downsides.
    Edited by Sneakyfool on February 29, 2016 10:20PM
    Answer ✓
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am actually for this and I have only researched like 6 traits on all armour types.

But meh...

I think they should be req.9 simply because well it's new most new things will be OP and replace the old stuff so there should be some "balance"

(I like having a different opinion to the others in here)

@Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
    Answer ✓
  • cdobratz
    cdobratz
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who is closing in on 9 traits, I think that having 9 traits is just a convenience thing. Zos' priority for a dlc should not be to please people who have just done a lot of boring busy work.
    NA-PC
    Calamity Ganon - DC Magic Sorc
    Escape Velocity - DC Stam NB
    Bears Beets Battlestár - DC Stamplar
    Bears Beets Battlestar - DC Stam DK
    Dr. John Dorian - DC Magic DK
    Kojima's Revenge - EP Magic Sorc
    dafack - AD Magic NB
    Answer ✓
  • Bnec
    Bnec
    ✭✭
    yes i believe it should , would boost business for people who bothered to research :)
    Answer ✓
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    As someone that is quickly approaching 9 traits on 3/4 of the items and has invested the time and effort since last June. YES!
    Answer ✓
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭

Strong or attractive sets(all sets) should have more traits. Not only applicable DLC sets.
    If you like a strong set, endure the research time. Since the begin I have this game, and still not everything has been researched on 1 character. It takes a veeeery long time. :smiley:
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
    Answer ✓
  • Uviryth
    Uviryth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, no 9sets, 8 is enough. I have yet to even see one Nirncrux-Item drop.
    Answer ✓
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very happy to see one 9-trait, one mid-tier trait amount (6-8 or so), and one there or lower each dlc. makes things feel nice for all crafting ranges, beefs up the set list and still leaves those juicy 9traiters to work towards
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
    Answer ✓
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since I have all 9 traits researched I would agree with you on that part but it would be a biased agree. The problem with making all DLC's all 9 traits for the new craftable items really gives no incentive for people to buy them.

The best solution for @ZOS would be a mix of them down to 6 traits. It's really easy to get 6 traits learned if you try so that should be the minimum.

All of the new DLC crated stations should at least require 6 traits and up to 9 for the best sets.
    NA Server - Kildair
    Answer ✓
  • The_Tip
    The_Tip
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think all new gear sets should be 9 traits, however they should be atleast 6, maybe even 7 considering the games been out for so long, don't shun dedicated crafters by bypassing they're hard work with 4 trait sets for everyone! The best sets in the game however should be 9 traits, heck I say Add another trait or two, but maybe a new passive to cut research time down to 2 weeks, cuz at this point waiting a month+ for a trait won't really fly, especially with the division dropping soon.
    Answer ✓
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They kinda did do this with Imperial City DLC, where you had to teleport to Cyrodiil, get safely to sewer base in IC, take ladder up to district in pvp zone, fight mobs to get to crafting location.

The whole thing is a big hassle, and many crafters take extra money for crafting in those locations, simply because of the annoying amount of travels and pvp element involved.
    Answer ✓
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, but I would see some more interesting sets requiring 9 traits researched. Such sets should be more powerful because the current ones are just.... meh. I don't see any point in researching all 9 traits atm... Even twice-born star is lucklaster compared to some other sets, e.g. julianos set (for magicka builds).
    Answer ✓
  • LearnThis
    LearnThis
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the thoughts and responses. I was just trying to think of what incentive there is to be a master crafter as each DLC comes out if you could get the armor at low levels. Also, to a person's comment about the economy... I figured if anything having the requirements be higher as the game has been out longer would encourage people to craft and sell that gear. Would that not help the economy then?
    PSN: LearnThis
    Bosmer Nightblade (Master Crafting, everything researched)
    Dunmer Dragonknight
    Breton Nightblade
    Breton Mage
    Argonian Templar
    Norn Dragonknight
    High Elf Dragonknight

Champion Points are capped

~I have completed Cadwell's Silver six times and Gold four times... Please do not tell me about the experience of leveling.~
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hamfast wrote: »
    Heck no, unless the 9th trait becomes more accessible... As a solo player I spent a good amount of time in Craglorn, the only place Nirncrux can be found, and while I did find some of that oh so rare element, I have yet to find any item that has the trait...

@Hamfast Just wanted to mention that you won't find any gear with the Nirn trait unless you complete the entire quest line. ONE piece of Nirn gear is rewarded at the end. So, you're going to have to purchase gear with the trait at guild traders or have a guildie or other crafter make traited gear for you to research.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on February 29, 2016 11:21PM
  • Hamfast
    Hamfast
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

@Hamfast Just wanted to mention that you won't find any gear with the Nirn trait unless you complete the entire quest line. ONE piece of Nirn gear is rewarded at the end. So, you're going to have to purchase gear with the trait at guild traders or have a guildie or other crafter make traited gear for you to research.

LOL, not really :-) I will only have to purchase it if I decide I want the 9th trait for some reason. I also knew that with my playstyle items with this trait were out of reach unless I wanted to find a group to play with... But I do thank you for pointing out part of the problem as well as a way to get around the issue.
    Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most...
  • Alorier
    Alorier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really I think some should think before posting threads
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Uviryth wrote: »
    No, no 9sets, 8 is enough. I have yet to even see one Nirncrux-Item drop.

You have to do the quest in Craglorn; you will get a single nirn item as a reward. Otherwise you have to get research items from other players.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

LOL, not really :-) I will only have to purchase it if I decide I want the 9th trait for some reason. I also knew that with my playstyle items with this trait were out of reach unless I wanted to find a group to play with... But I do thank you for pointing out part of the problem as well as a way to get around the issue.

Yep - only if you want to research Nirn to have 9 traits to make the 9-trait sets. If you don't care about crafting 9-trait sets or crafting gear with Nirn, then you don't need to worry about it. I just wanted to be sure you weren't wasting time trying to find dropped gear with the trait, as that won't happen. :smile:
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

by the same token, the ability to craft a set (Number of traits/skills) should be directly reflect the power of that set and how focused the set is, generic sets should be easier to build then focused sets... face it, an 8 trait set (Eyes of Mara) should be much better then a 4 trait set (Magus)

<Edit> Also, perhaps synergies between item sets should also be explored. </edit>

Just buy nirnhoned items in guild stores. That's what many of us did.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Well, choosing to not purchase is your choice. Considering how long research takes, I don't think it is a wise choice.