The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Left handed characters

Ajantear
Ajantear
✭✭✭
This is something I am sure more will not care about, but it would be nice if ESO was not one of those games that turns a blind eye on the fact that left handed people exist.
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm left handed and I don't even care.
  • Pendrillion
    Pendrillion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Play Dual Wield :)

But seriously... Kind of true what you say OP
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hippopotamuses exist but aren't included in ESO, therefore ZOS are... hippopotamusist.
  • xellink
    xellink
    ✭✭✭
    Most left handed people hold a rifle the same way right handed people do. You need both hands to fight. There are left hand modded attachments which prevent the discharged rounds flying into your face but not all the weapons you gonna pick on the battlefield will have those mods. Pure left handed weapons are too expensive to invest in. Conventionally, the left hand is to aim and the right hand is used to steady the weapon. I seen many left handers have excellent aim.

You are wielding both a weapon and a shield, and the shield happens to be found in the right hand. That doesn't make you left handed. In traditional usage, you want your shield to be in your right hand because your priority is to stay alive first (from arrows, swords etc), then killing your melee opponent. Nowadays, shield are held in the left hand. Look at police shields for example, the right hand is required to aim the pistol so shields are held on the left. Most shield users in ESO should actually be left handed in theory since guns haven't been invented and the only throw/ranged attack in the melee weapon line is in dual wield.

7ff476997c37c4de1476c514ec3eb2cb_zpsge3ckcoz.jpg

Edit: Most people wear shields on the left hand whether they are left handed or not, this is based on statistics but practice differs from region to region.

scotpair3.jpg

Two handed and Dual blade.....we will never know.

Staffs are difficult to judge but you can treat it as a rifle and say conventional use is on the right hand. However it would be useful to compare it with a cane or walking stick. The cane or walking stick isn't usually placed where the stronger hand it. it is often held where the weaker leg is, especially when recovering from an injury. Consider the fact that you want to use your master hand for other things (like drinking water) and that the walking stick staff autoaims spells like mutagen, consider holding it in your non-master hand. There is not much historical data on magical staffs but i imagine projectiles are better fired on the master hand. Thus we can assume that most resto staff users are left handed and destruction staff users are right handed.

A right handed bow is held in the left hand and drawn back with the right hand. A left-handed bow is held in the right hand and drawn with the left hand. As you might imagine, most right-handed people shoot right-handed bows. But again, many people disagree with the way bows are held. In fact, the master hand is less important in bow selection, position of the bow is often determined by the master eye.

Given the ambiguity of left and right handed application of weapons, such a feature is welcome but certainly not essential to your experience. If you really want to declare that you are left handed, pick a shield.
    Edited by xellink on February 29, 2016 5:06PM
  • EsoRecon
    EsoRecon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ajantear wrote: »
    This is something I am sure more will not care about, but it would be nice if ESO was not one of those games that turns a blind eye on the fact that left handed people exist.

Bigger problems

Edited by EsoRecon on February 29, 2016 4:41PM
    Xbox One [ NA ]
    Gamertag - Zyzz II Legacy
    Stam Sorc & Stam NB PvP
    (I'm Just Here To 1vX)
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xellink wrote: »
    Consider the fact that you want to use your master hand for other things (like drinking water)

I'm weird and I use my left hand for a ton of stuff (like drinking water and brushing my teeth) even though I'm right handed. My brother and I are just weird. My left hand is for strength and my right hand is for precision. I think I might have been born left-handed and been raised to do stuff with my right hand. I'm weird ;_;
    PC NA CP 531+
    Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
    Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
    Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
    The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
    Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
    Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
    Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
    Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
    The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
    Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
    The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
  • ProfessorKittyhawk
    ProfessorKittyhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always wondered why you couldn't choose which hand you place your sword and shield or staff in. But it never really bothered me too much.
  • Ajantear
    Ajantear
    ✭✭✭
    I guess it is simply that producers don't want to spend the time mirroring animations and or producing the necessary alternative animations. The majority of people are right handed so everyone in the majority of games are right handed. It's a small thing in the big picture, but it is passive discrimination.

It would be nice if games makers allowed you to chose.
  • MidnightBlue
    MidnightBlue
    ✭✭✭
    Consider the fact that you want to use your master hand for other things (like drinking water)

I'm weird and I use my left hand for a ton of stuff (like drinking water and brushing my teeth) even though I'm right handed. My brother and I are just weird. My left hand is for strength and my right hand is for precision. I think I might have been born left-handed and been raised to do stuff with my right hand. I'm weird ;_;

I'm right handed and drink water with my left hand too, but that's with bottled anything though.
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frag procs are thrown left handed, so are trapping webs and many other abilities.
  • WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always wondered why you couldn't choose which hand you place your sword and shield or staff in. But it never really bothered me too much.

Because of the below:
    I guess it is simply that producers don't want to spend the time mirroring animations and or producing the necessary alternative animations. The majority of people are right handed so everyone in the majority of games are right handed. It's a small thing in the big picture, but it is passive discrimination.

It would be nice if games makers allowed you to chose.

I agree more choice and options is a good thing, but throwing discrimination around willy nilly is not.
  • Ajantear
    Ajantear
    ✭✭✭

I agree more choice and options is a good thing, but throwing discrimination around willy nilly is not.

At the risk of side tracking this thread from "this would be nice" into a debate on if it is discrimination or not, I would say part of the problem is that people like you don't think this is discrimination.

It is. Not wilful. Not intentional. But passively it is.

• Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just pretend that my character is wielding things in a left-handed manner. I just pretend that a lot of immersive things exist. :`-(
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just glad i finally found a good left-handed gaming mouse ...
    rolleyes.gif
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've seen this asked for a few times. It would be nice to let people have the option. Perhaps it could be listed as a tick option in the gameplay settings, the same as you can tick to hide your helmet for instance, you can tick to choose left handed.
    However, it might not be as simple as "just swapping weapons round", its possible the animations can't be flipped completely, so it might have to be all rewritten.
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lefties...

Can use dual wield?

Can use two-handed?

Can use S&B, and make the shield bash their main attack?

But yeah, it'd be fun if it was an option to have side-mirrored animations for player characters and the occasional NPC (10% of all people tend to be left handed IIRC?)
    But there is so much more to want for ESO... its not that big a deal.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm a leftie too but dont really care if my character is left or right handed. Why would someone even think of this. XD
    My mouse is set up on the right side,so I use my left hand for the keys,and right for my mouse.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lefties...
    Can use two-handed?

2H still uses the right hand as the main weapon hand, the left is just support ...
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on February 29, 2016 6:50PM
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this . . . Really a problem? I mean, left handed people do exist, but . . . I mean . . .

Nope. Can't even think of a way to finish that.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm left-handed and I'd like this option too. I don't think it's a big deal, it doesn't really bother me when I play, but it would be nice to be able to make a left-handed character.

I actually made my Skyrim character left-handed by accident. I had her dual wielding a sword and dagger, and I was playing on the Xbox where you push the right trigger to equip something in the right hand and the left trigger to equip in the left hand. Without ever thinking about it I always equipped the sword first and always pushed the left trigger first. It was only after someone else pointed it out that I realised.

But (on the rare occasions I've tried them) I use weapons left-handed in real life too, so maybe it just seemed logical to me. I hold melee weapons in my left hand and when I've used a bow and arrow I use my left hand to pull the string back. Apparently I hold a rifle left-handed too (left hand on the trigger) but I don't understand how that makes a difference - I just know I was told it was holding it left-handed and meant I had to stand at the right end of the row on the range.

There are lots of things I'll do with both hands and I rarely think about which hand I'm using, but in general if I want more precise control I'll use my left.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    Is this . . . Really a problem? I mean, left handed people do exist, but . . . I mean . . .

Not only do Left Handed people exist,but we have been proven to have more Genius's than do Right Handed people.
    Also,we Left Handed people think with the right side of our brain,so,..we are always in our right mind.
    >:}
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »

Not only do Left Handed people exist,but we have been proven to have more Genius's than do Right Handed people.
    Also,we Left Handed people think with the right side of our brain,so,..we are always in our right mind.

Ha. That last part made me smile. My father is left handed and always says exactly the same thing!
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Volkodav wrote: »

Ha. That last part made me smile. My father is left handed and always says exactly the same thing!

He said that because it's true. XD
  • Lambtron
    Lambtron
    ✭✭
    I'm ambidextrous, and use the mouse with my left hand. I always think it adds a bit of variety when I see it in games (admittedly, in the Zelda series, it wasn't a choice, Link was left handed up until recently, though can't think of an MMO that gave that option). It'd be an interesting customisation option, though I'm sure it's not high on the priority list :)
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most left handed people hold a rifle the same way right handed people do. You need both hands to fight. There are left hand modded attachments which prevent the discharged rounds flying into your face but not all the weapons you gonna pick on the battlefield will have those mods. Pure left handed weapons are too expensive to invest in. Conventionally, the left hand is to aim and the right hand is used to steady the weapon. I seen many left handers have excellent aim.

You are wielding both a weapon and a shield, and the shield happens to be found in the right hand. That doesn't make you left handed. In traditional usage, you want your shield to be in your right hand because your priority is to stay alive first (from arrows, swords etc), then killing your melee opponent. Nowadays, shield are held in the left hand. Look at police shields for example, the right hand is required to aim the pistol so shields are held on the left. Most shield users in ESO should actually be left handed in theory since guns haven't been invented and the only throw/ranged attack in the melee weapon line is in dual wield.

7ff476997c37c4de1476c514ec3eb2cb_zpsge3ckcoz.jpg

Edit: Most people wear shields on the left hand whether they are left handed or not, this is based on statistics but practice differs from region to region.

scotpair3.jpg

Two handed and Dual blade.....we will never know.

Staffs are difficult to judge but you can treat it as a rifle and say conventional use is on the right hand. However it would be useful to compare it with a cane or walking stick. The cane or walking stick isn't usually placed where the stronger hand it. it is often held where the weaker leg is, especially when recovering from an injury. Consider the fact that you want to use your master hand for other things (like drinking water) and that the walking stick staff autoaims spells like mutagen, consider holding it in your non-master hand. There is not much historical data on magical staffs but i imagine projectiles are better fired on the master hand. Thus we can assume that most resto staff users are left handed and destruction staff users are right handed.

A right handed bow is held in the left hand and drawn back with the right hand. A left-handed bow is held in the right hand and drawn with the left hand. As you might imagine, most right-handed people shoot right-handed bows. But again, many people disagree with the way bows are held. In fact, the master hand is less important in bow selection, position of the bow is often determined by the master eye.

Given the ambiguity of left and right handed application of weapons, such a feature is welcome but certainly not essential to your experience. If you really want to declare that you are left handed, pick a shield.

+100 for the Monster Hunter.

Second their are some left handed heros out there.............

c4c1c59ddfae42b27b3469e5d55154a2283aeff087f6648ba0366168a9b609e9.jpg

#SpidermanThread ???

#FairyboyThread
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why aren't there left-handed characters in ESO? look at what happened to the lefthanded elves:
    http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Lefthanded_Elves
    Wiped out by the ancestors of the Redguards. To this day nobody in Tamriel dares to admit to being lefthanded - they all train themselves to use their right hand as their dominant hand, for fear of being slaughtered by Redguards. OK, I made that last part up.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I get that left-handed people exist, but I'm not entirely clear why they would all want to play left-handed characters and why they consider it discrimination if the developers don't double all the work on animations etc to allow them to do so.

It comes up so rarely on game forums that I have always assumed that most left-handed players are happy with right-handed characters, they tend to be more critical if there are fixed control keys that can't be rebound to suit their left-handedness. In an ideal world the developers would cater for all such minorities, but do most - or even any - left-handed players really consider it a priority?
    Edited by Tandor on March 1, 2016 9:32PM
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For roleplaying and emotes etc. it would be nice to have left-handed versions of animations etc. but for weapons and spell use it's more realistic if the majority of the abilities are either left or righthanded. During wartime, countries and companies can most often not afford to massproduce weapons to suit peoples individual preferences.

Same thing goes for public schools during peace time. I am ambidexterous and I was told to use my right hand only to write essays. So I used my left hand to write all headlines, and everything els I wrote with my right hand.

Also in calligraphy there are complications to which hand you prefer to write with, what language you write with.
    • If you are left handed and you write something with ink in English, then you will struggle at trying carefully not to sweep the wet ink with your hand from the written letters over the paper, as you write from left to right.
    • If you are right handed and you write something with ink in Arabic, then you will struggle at trying carefully not to sweep the wet ink with your hand from the written letters over the paper, as you write from right to left.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on March 1, 2016 7:40PM