Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Channeled Focus nerf

timidobserver
timidobserver
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Restoring Light
Rune Focus: All the effects provided by this ability and its morphs will now remain on you for up to 8 seconds after leaving the rune’s radius.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel

This alteration to Rune Focus was added v2.3.2 after Templar complained about mobility. This makes Channeled Focus worse than it is on live. On live the Magicka Regeneration lasts for 18 seconds outside of the circle. On the PTS it lasts for 8 seconds outside of the circle. I'd like to know why Channeled Focus was nerfed but advertised as a buff. Your response to complaints about lack of mobility was to.... make Templar even less mobile by nerfing an ability that absolutely no one complains about.

Most people don't even realize this is a nerf compared to channeled focus on live.
V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Fat_Cat45
    Fat_Cat45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The magicka regen operated completely different than the Restoring Focus morph, so it is time to make it universal.

On live client the advertised 8% incoming healing "Minor Vitality" only lasts .5 seconds if you leave the rune.

I'm glad the usefulness of the rune for stam builds is going up, but it comes at the cost of lowering the magicka recover one
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fat_Cat45 wrote: »
    The magicka regen operated completely different than the Restoring Focus morph, so it is time to make it universal.

On live client the advertised 8% incoming healing "Minor Vitality" only lasts .5 seconds if you leave the rune.

I'm glad the usefulness of the rune for stam builds is going up, but it comes at the cost of lowering the magicka recover one

Plenty of skills have morphs that last different durations and do different things. It was not necessary to ninja nerf one in order to buff the other.

• Firerock2
    Firerock2
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So they should have buffed the Minor Vitality and let it stay 18 seconds after you left the rune. ZOS's "balancing" is asinine.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Or they could have thrown the Templar a (rather small) bone and just made the minor vitality on Restoring Focus match the "out of rune" magicka regeneration given by Channeled Focus.

But since they gave it major healing I guess they figured "we can't give Templars something without taking something else away" even though technically the major healing is 5% lower than the extra healing bonus we had before, although admittedly more usable than before. They also nerfed the heal on Puncturing Sweep because of this addition.

Why can't they just buff Templars without nerfing them somewhere else?
  • Zheg
    Zheg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    They probably didn't even know it lasted 18 seconds until we started complaining on PTS. How do I know this? Because if anyone on the combat team actually played templar they'd realize half of our most useful skills on paper don't function in lag because they're channels/casts or just fail because they're ground targeted like blazing spears, and that skills like Dark Flare (which is supposed to be our salvation next patch) cannot be cancelled like every other casted ability which means you are locked down in a cast and can't react/heal/etc. (not to mention the first cast is far longer than the tooltip, but followup casts are quicker because ZOS coding).

[snip]

Moderator edit - post edited for insulting/rude remarks
    Edited by ZOS_MollyH on March 28, 2016 12:40PM
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Or they could have thrown the Templar a (rather small) bone and just made the minor vitality on Restoring Focus match the "out of rune" magicka regeneration given by Channeled Focus.

But since they gave it major healing I guess they figured "we can't give Templars something without taking something else away" even though technically the major healing is 5% lower than the extra healing bonus we had before, although admittedly more usable than before. They also nerfed the heal on Puncturing Sweep because of this addition.

The bone would be nice, but I don't even want anything buffed. I just want channeled focus back to how it is on live given that there is no good reason to nerf.

• bubblebuttboss
    bubblebuttboss
    ✭✭✭
    Like I said, this is easily the biggest nerf to Templars since blinding flashes, maybe beta. This skill gave us our sustain and mobility slightly...now I'm going to have to cast it every 8 seconds. :/
    Edited by bubblebuttboss on February 29, 2016 2:51PM
  • Zheg
    Zheg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

I don't think it's extreme at all to ask for the guy that had sturdy trait on pvp gear for 2 years be terminated, not to mention the entire trait system being an easy revamp so people aren't looking for 2-3 traits only on gear pieces, nor all of his other failures since launch. I mean think about how simple that change is, seriously. He can't even take care of the low hanging fruit.

Think back to all of the major problems with the game since it's inception - lag is certainly one and not his fault, but just about every other one I can think of stems from the combat team and their lack of foresight and/or inaction. Toppling charge is going on how many 'fixes' in patch notes now? [snip]

Moderator edit - post edited for insulting/rude remarks
    Edited by ZOS_MollyH on March 28, 2016 12:41PM
  • Hiero_Glyph
    Hiero_Glyph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Restoring Light
    Rune Focus: All the effects provided by this ability and its morphs will now remain on you for up to 8 seconds after leaving the rune’s radius.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @Wrobel

This alteration to Rune Focus was added v2.3.2 after Templar complained about mobility. This makes Channeled Focus worse than it is on live. On live the Magicka Regeneration lasts for 18 seconds outside of the circle. On the PTS it lasts for 8 seconds outside of the circle. I'd like to know why Channeled Focus was nerfed but advertised as a buff. Your response to complaints about lack of mobility was to.... make Templar even less mobile by nerfing an ability that absolutely no one complains about.

Most people don't even realize this is a nerf compared to channeled focus on live.

What's funny is that if you actually read the exact wording of the various changes to Channeled Focus I don't even think ZOS understood how the mechanic worked on Live at all. I mean it existed the same way for how long and the skill's description was never accurate in regards to how it worked. Most players didn't even understand how it worked since the description was only partially correct. You basically needed to manually test magicka regen or use an add-on to see how the skill operated. If nothing else this shows that ZOS doesn't even play a Templar and are basically clueless when it comes to how the skills operate on Live.
    Edited by Hiero_Glyph on February 29, 2016 3:49PM
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would rather they simply give us more mana over the 8 seconds instead of change it back to 18 seconds.
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    The pojnt was that focus was fine the way it was. It did not need any tweaking, but here we are more confusion, more needless nerfs and then the whole BoL fiasco...

• rendolpheb16_ESO
    rendolpheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I think is much worst then you think. Reading in patch note:

Rune Focus: Revised the tooltips for this ability and its morphs to indicate that the Major Ward and Major Resolve buffs will stick to you for 8 seconds after leaving the rune, while the morph effects of Channeled Focus and Restoring Focus require you to remain in the rune at all times.

It seem that you lose that mobility for mana regen or healing receive depend on morph.
    Edited by rendolpheb16_ESO on February 29, 2016 4:44PM
    For Templar PvP video check my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/RendolpheGamer
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Rune Focus: Revised the tooltips for this ability and its morphs to indicate that the Major Ward and Major Resolve buffs will stick to you for 8 seconds after leaving the rune, while the morph effects of Channeled Focus and Restoring Focus require you to remain in the rune at all times.

It seem that you lose that mobility for mana regen or healing receive depend on morph.

No, they added additional bonuses to stick on you for same 8 seconds.
  • rendolpheb16_ESO
    rendolpheb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

No, they added additional bonuses to stick on you for same 8 seconds.

Thanks I was worried that would be worst.
    For Templar PvP video check my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/RendolpheGamer
  • Lore_lai
    Lore_lai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zheg wrote: »
    They probably didn't even know it lasted 18 seconds until we started complaining on PTS. How do I know this? Because if anyone on the combat team actually played templar they'd realize half of our most useful skills on paper don't function in lag because they're channels/casts or just fail because they're ground targeted like blazing spears, and that skills like Dark Flare (which is supposed to be our salvation next patch) cannot be cancelled like every other casted ability which means you are locked down in a cast and can't react/heal/etc. (not to mention the first cast is far longer than the tooltip, but followup casts are quicker because ZOS coding).

I swear, give any competent templar a 5 minute interview with Wrobel and the guy would be embarrassed to the point that he'd need to be fired.
    Dark Flare's cast time can be block cancelled, like every other channel.
    Still doesn't change the fact that we have clunky DPS skills and flare is disgusting to use in lag.

But OT - yeah the nerf to channeled focus... Anyway I look at it, it's bad for Zeni, IMO.
    You knew about it and you're nerfing it, on top of all the other nerfs/lack of decent buffs where the class is severely lacking; OR - you were ignorant about what the skill does which shows how much you are aware of how Templar plays.

But yay! we got more damage on flare and all those CP changes that so many Templars cling to like a breath of fresh air, even though they are an overall buff to other classes too...
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would rather they simply give us more mana over the 8 seconds instead of change it back to 18 seconds.

I would go for this but I'd really just like them to put it back to how it is on live. There was no reason to change it. I should be looking forward to the new dlc, but instead I am dreading it because if the huge amount of nerfs.
    Edited by timidobserver on February 29, 2016 7:22PM

• dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

why does everyone keep saying they nerf puncturing sweep heal. seriously LOL. dot cp buffs sweep up to 25% more damage= more healing+ our change to major mending means AN ADITIONL 25% healing when using sweeps in 'our house'(as well as healing wards and vigors...)
    no kidding they lowered the base, its now WAY HIGHER

also the "Rune" should be like a halo that follows over your head, goes with the whole holey templar theme and dosent ^%$#* us over by being tiny and stationary.
    Edited by dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO on March 3, 2016 9:18AM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

why does everyone keep saying they nerf puncturing sweep heal. seriously LOL. dot cp buffs sweep up to 25% more damage= more healing+ our change to major mending means AN ADITIONL 25% healing when using sweeps in 'our house'(as well as healing wards and vigors...)
    no kidding they lowered the base, its now WAY HIGHER

also the "Rune" should be like a halo that follows over your head, goes with the whole holey templar theme and dosent ^%$#* us over by being tiny and stationary.

"an additional 25% healing when using sweeps in our house"
    "dosent (sic) ^%$#* us over by being tiny and stationary"

There's the problem.

Also, the dot cp buff will be good, but not until the CP cap is raised since they are part of the same tree. Anyway the 5% nerf was a minor point in my post. The major point is that compared to live, channeled focus is nerfed in it's usability and now it makes us more stationary than before, or required to cast it more often.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They probably didn't even know it lasted 18 seconds until we started complaining on PTS.
    This, based on the tool tip it looks like your supposed to be in the circle for the regen bonus on the live version.
    while the morph effects of Channeled Focus and Restoring Focus require you to remain in the rune at all times.

I recall a while back the armor buff was also sticking for the full duration before a patch knocked it back to 8.

So technically this is a bug fix. But with all things templar, any additional bonuses will get patched out long before any broken disadvantages get fixed.
    Edited by driosketch on March 3, 2016 2:22PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »
    They probably didn't even know it lasted 18 seconds until we started complaining on PTS.
    This, based on the tool tip it looks like your supposed to be in the circle for the regen bonus on the live version.
    while the morph effects of Channeled Focus and Restoring Focus require you to remain in the rune at all times.

I recall a while back the armor buff was also sticking for the full duration before a patch knocked it back to 8.

So technically this is a bug fix. But with all things templar, any additional bonuses will get patched out long before any broken disadvantages get fixed.

Technically yes, it is a bug fix. It is a lack of insight though that ZoS would not look at the skill and realize that the Templar version is sub-par compared to other classes.

DK - Major Ward, Major Resolve, return damage to attackers, mobile
    Sorc - Major Ward, Major Resolve, Major Expedition PBAoE DoT, mobile
    NB - Major Ward, Major Resolve, a passive on any skill use from that line (frees up a skill slot), mobile
    Templar - Major Ward, Major Resolve, Major Healing, magicka return, STATIONARY.

So looking at the list of buffs it all seems fairly even, until you get to the end, where Templar is the only one that needs to remain in a circle to maintain the buff. What is the extra advantage in return for this penalty? There is none. It's a similar skill with a huge drawback and no relative benefit.

uughh, this has all been said before.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Depending on your perspective it can be a bug fix or a nerf, but that is irrelevant. The point is that this change resulted from the community asking for buffs to our mobility. In response to that, they bugfixrd/nerfed us to make our mobility even worse.

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

why does everyone keep saying they nerf puncturing sweep heal. seriously LOL. dot cp buffs sweep up to 25% more damage= more healing+ our change to major mending means AN ADITIONL 25% healing when using sweeps in 'our house'.

Because they did.
    • You are not always in your house
    • constructing a new "house" is a waste of a global cooldown
    • templars are not the only class to benefit from CP streamlining. Yes, jabs CAN do more damage if you have the CPs to spend, but the other classes and your opponents can also do the same. In short, it's just keeping up with the Jones.
    • because the default unconditional heal was 40%. Now its 35%. I have to do other stuff just to get the equivalent healing on Live.
    • ZoS COULD have said to themselves, "you know what, templars and tanks in general have a tough time in Cyrodiil. We made the change to major mending for the specific reason that their heals would be more versatile/effective, so just leave things be and keep the value at 40%
    Edited by Joy_Division on March 3, 2016 3:24PM
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭

why does everyone keep saying they nerf puncturing sweep heal. seriously LOL. dot cp buffs sweep up to 25% more damage= more healing+ our change to major mending means AN ADITIONL 25% healing when using sweeps in 'our house'.

Because they did.
    • templars are not the only class to benefit from CP streamlining. Yes, jabs CAN do more damage if you have the CPs to spend, but the other classes and your opponents can also do the same. In short, it's just keeping up with the Jones.
    • because the default unconditional heal was 40%. Now its 35%. I have to do other stuff just to get the equivalent healing on Live.
    • ZoS COULD have said to themselves, "you know what, templars and tanks in general have a tough time in Cyrodiil. We made the change to major mending for the specific reason that their heals would be more versatile/effective, so just leave things be and keep the value at 40%

Don't forget the changes to Major Mending, 30% -> 25%. Previously with Sweeps you would heal for 40% of the dmg +30% if you were in your rune/ritual. It will now be 35% of dmg and +25% if you are in your rune/ritual. A nerf of 10% overall healing on Puncturing sweeps.
    Edited by AfkNinja on March 3, 2016 3:50PM
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    AfkNinja wrote: »

Because they did.

Don't forget the changes to Major Mending, 30% -> 25%. Previously with Sweeps you would heal for 40% of the dmg +30% if you were in your rune/ritual. It will now be 35% of dmg and +25% if you are in your rune/ritual. A nerf of 10% overall healing on Puncturing sweeps.
    No, before you couldnt increase healing by Focused Healing since it worked only for Restoring Light abilities, only now on pts since it buff all healings. In the end - 25% heal buff for stamplars; 5% heal nerf for Restoring Light abilities for magplars.
    Edited by Cinbri on March 3, 2016 3:44PM
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Depending on your perspective it can be a bug fix or a nerf, but that is irrelevant. The point is that this change resulted from the community asking for buffs to our mobility. In response to that, they bugfixrd/nerfed us to make our mobility even worse.

Much like cleansing projectiles with purifying ritual, it's not a matter of perspective, it's actual both. Not something that was intended, but fixing it makes the class weaker. Templars are getting 3 types of nerfs this update, the overt, the stealth, and the bug fix.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Much like cleansing projectiles with purifying ritual, it's not a matter of perspective, it's actual both. Not something that was intended, but fixing it makes the class weaker. Templars are getting 3 types of nerfs this update, the overt, the stealth, and the bug fix.

This is basically the conversation that happened with channeled focus.

Templar Community: ZOS we need more mobility! Make it so that channeled focus is more mobile.
    ZOS: Okay, we understand your concern. To address it we have nerfed/fixed channeled focus to last less time once you leave the circle.
    Templar Community: WTF how does this help my concern!?
    ZOS: -Silence-

• dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    dylanjaygrobbelaarb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because they did.

yes i wish rune focus was mobile, but
    you just QQ big time. the facts are, templars use rune focus or lingering ritual or both, so with major mending change we get 25% more jabs healing most of the time. even without tones of cp with the changes templars can split between elemental and dot and end up with more damage than all elemental.... more jabs damage... more healing.
    After the 5% reduction templars are going to see more heals off of jabs end of story.
    yes other people have dot cp too. but almost every staple move is not a dot, lets name a few

crystal shards, mines,curse, cruhing shock, wb,executioner,spin to win, flying blade,surprise attack.... the list goes on its MAJORLY a DD meta.
    the new cp buffs 3 out of 4 of templars dps moves jabs, reflective light, radient destruction. this new cp buffs magica templars and dk MUCH more than anyone else.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Because they did.

you just QQ big time. the facts are, templars use rune focus or lingering ritual or both, so with major mending change we get 25% more jabs healing most of the time. even without tones of cp with the changes templars can split between elemental and dot and end up with more damage than all elemental.... more jabs damage... more healing.
    After the 5% reduction templars are going to see more heals off of jabs end of story.
    yes other people have dot cp too. but almost every staple move is not a dot, lets name a few

crystal shards, mines,curse, cruhing shock, wb,executioner,spin to win, flying blade,surprise attack.... the list goes on its MAJORLY a DD meta.
    the new cp buffs 3 out of 4 of templars dps moves jabs, reflective light, radient destruction. this new cp buffs magica templars and dk MUCH more than anyone else.

FYI, for whatever reason, Mines and Curse are treated as DoTs. So Sorcerers are getting a pretty big bump in DPS also.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yes i wish rune focus was mobile, but ... the facts are, templars use rune focus or lingering ritual or both, so with major mending change we get 25% more jabs healing most of the time. even without tones of cp with the changes templars can split between elemental and dot and end up with more damage than all elemental.... more jabs damage... more healing.

You can't reason with the current group of Templars in the forums. Though they have some good points, they have worked up quite a frenzy and will mob you if you disagree. The only reason the Templar feedback thread is so long is because the same names keep feeding the thread. Not all is doom and gloom, and I am actually looking foward to some of the changes for pvp. See ya on the battlefield!
  • Zheg
    Zheg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Because they did.

Please, grammar and punctuation, even basic will do. No one wants to finish reading posts that look like that.

I'm sorry, but you said "most templars use rune focus or lingering ritual or both" - and no... just no. NO competent templar uses lingering ritual. Right off the bat you're sounding like someone who knows jack about templars. Joy's basic premise was that the supermajority use (or would like to, pending a 2.5 year long bug fix) toppling charge followed by puncturing sweep. When you're gap closing, typically you aren't standing inside a focus or purify as you're moving your position. You can waste a global cooldown reapplying it, but chances are if you've gap closed, you're trying to unload a damage burst and that won't be very successful if you're trying to put down a focus/purify after every one.

In general though, most templar healing will go down across the board because after a week in pvp there will be at least one person in every major group running fasalla's guile. Hit them with your jabs, spears, or any other aoe you like and GG because Wrobel wants the meta to be pure damage and high burst rather than sustain, healing, and tactics.