Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of October 7:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 7
• Xbox: EU megaserver for maintenance – October 9, 2:00 UTC (October 8, 10:00PM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)

Newish player confused by all the different things in this game. bit of help please

Alpen
Alpen
So I am loving this game but only leveling at the moment but unlike other mmos where i rush to max level I'm taken my time because I am finding every quest and story awesome. Really so much fun. I am wondering can someone explain all the different stuff. Like i see there are campaigns? cyrodil? imperial City?

Like I see people talking about these but dont know what they are. I would love to know all aspects of the game. But finding it hard to understand or should I just wait till I am max level and I will understand it then?

But cant I do Cyrodil now or something? Please some info :)
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can do PVP in Cyrodil starting at lvl 10. Blackwater Blade is the campaign you choose for non-vet PVP.
    You'll get a letter in the mail when you can go and pick up the training quest.
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Campaigns/Cyrodiil/Imperial City are the PvP Zones.

Cyrodiil is the main central zone on the map (if you're not familiar with TES setting). You can join it from level 10 onwards and PvP in the open zone area. There are keeps/resources that you fight over to score your alliance points.

Cyrodiil is broken up into several instances, these are called Campaigns. You choose which campaign you want to join and then you can fight there. Note that different campaigns have different rules so read what they are before you sign upto one. I would recommend if you're not a Veteran Level (50+) character yet you should join the Non-Veteran campaign as it's more fair on you.

Imperial City is another map/zone that you can enter from within Cyrodiil where you go into the central city. This is a zone tailored towards VR14-16 characters (though any low character level is battle levelled to be more powerful in Cyrodiil/Imperial City and thus can play here) which is a PvP/PvE zone. It's still full PvP but contains a lot of monsters/bosses with good loot and experience.

Any questions just ask, I am sure others will iterate further on things I have missed as well.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyro is the PVP part of the game. You can go in at level 10. The different campaigns are just different servers to play on, each has their own goal. If you are a low level player who doesn't know much about the pvp in this game I would suggest trying Black Water Blade, it is for low level players. There are people who can and will help new players find their way around pvp as its a bit different then most MMOs.

Imperial City is a DLC located in Cyro, its supposed to be part PVE part PVP but its mostly fighting tons of mobs with occasional PVP.
    Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do cyrodiil at level ten. Its a war zone where the three factions are fighting over control of the imperial city, which is inhabited by molag bal and his generals at this moment in history. When you look at cyrodil map (in the center of the world map) you can see there are different coloured castles with three icons arouns them, and there is a little island in the middle surrounded by castles.

The castles are keeps which you fight at so your faction controls them. The color determines who owns them right now. The icons around the castles represent "resources". There is a farm, a mine, and a lumber mill. These strengthen different parts of the keeps if your faction owns them, and by having at least one in your factions control allows you to travel between keeps.

Your faction can "win" the campaign by winning all of the keeps around the island in the middle of the map and this crowns an emperor, the person with that campaign homes who has the most "alliance points" or "ap".

Imperial city is a place in the middle of cyrodiil that you can enter to fight daedra and molag bal (if your faction has access). There is really good loot in there and its worth it for you to check out later.

The campaigns are like "instances" of cyrodiil, different groups of the factions at war. You can have one home campaign, which is your main pvp instance which you can run for emperor on and be on the score boards, and you can have a guest campaign where you would pvp for fun or to help guildies etc.

There are a bunch of different campaigns of cyrodiil, there is black water blade which is the non vet pvp campaign where only players below level 50 can play. That will probably be your best option. You can also play in the "vet" campaigns. Haderus campaign is a campaign that you can win by focusing more on resources. Axe is a "gated" campaign where you can only access imperial city if your faction has its two keeps closest to the center island (imperial city) and if your faction owns all of the keeps in the circle you can make it so no one but your faction can go to the city.

You can enter q campaign by pressing 'L' and selecting a campaign to port into. Once you choose one you will be ported to your factions base and there you can pick up a quest that will give you an intro to seiging and how to win wars in cyrodiil.

Theres lots if pvp fun and skyshards and all kinds of goodies so i hope you try it out and enjoy :)

I hope thats accurate and helps. If anyone sees errors please correct me :)

Edited by Inarre on February 26, 2016 3:18PM
  • Shardaxx
    Shardaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil is the PVP zone in the middle of the world map. You need to be level 10 before you can enter it. The campaigns are basically different instances of the zone, and you can set a home campaign and a guest campaign and enter either of them. Your home campaign should be the one you enter the most, as its costs alliance points to change it to a different one. Your guest campaign can be changed for free but you need to have not entered it for 4 days.

If you're not veteran rank yet, then I recommend you set Blackwater Blade as your Guest campaign as this is for non-vets only. Don't set it as home as you'll need to change it when you hit veteran rank (you level to 49 then become vet 1, then up to vet 16). To do this, go to options then Campaign, go down to Blackwater and set as Guest. Then enter it, you can do this from anywhere and it will teleport you into the pvp zone.

You will be "battle-levelled" when you enter veteran pvp to give you a fighting chance against players of higher level, your health etc will increase to simulate you being VR15, but you still won't necessarily have the skill and equipment to compete fairly, but at least it levels the playing field somewhat.

There's a short tutorial where you are introduced to siege weapons etc, and then you are free to go explore and fight other players. There are 3 villages with quests to complete in cyrodiil, and lots of delves to explore as well as fighting in the battles, and sky shards to find. Each campaign generates alliance points slightly differently (some are based on elder scroll ownership, castles, etc, you can see all this by just looking down the list of campaigns in the menu). You can spend your alliance points on siege weapons, so don't spend gold on them.

Imperial City is the pvp zone in the middle of cyrodiil, it was a DLC so you might need to buy it, or you get it free if you subscribe to eso. It's designed more for small groups and there are quests to do in there, you enter via the sewer entrances dotted around the middle island marked with large symbols on the map. It's a good place to gain resources as the drops are good, its best to roam in a group.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask anything else.
    PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Glad you are enjoying the game. Educate yourself. There is so much to learn, the forum is not really a good place for a broad spectrum of information. Try this site: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Bfish22090
    Bfish22090
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would re roll if youre not a high elf magick build or redguard stamina build so you can be competitive at max level
  • Alpen
    Alpen
    guys i am over whelmed at all the replies. thanks so much for everyone who answered in particular the guys with the very long replies. i really do appreciate it :)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I would warn you about @Alpen is if you do get into Cyrodiil and PvP, don't let that ruin your enjoyment of taking your time and playing the content.

One of my personal biggest regrets playing ESO is that once I got into PvP and wanted to be more competitive I started rushing through content more as I wanted to be stronger, get gear, finish content so I could be in Cyrodiil more. Looking back my most enjoyable days were still running around the first zones not leaving them until I had completed every little thing in them.
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Alpen
    Alpen
    Turelus wrote: »
    One thing I would warn you about @Alpen is if you do get into Cyrodiil and PvP, don't let that ruin your enjoyment of taking your time and playing the content.

One of my personal biggest regrets playing ESO is that once I got into PvP and wanted to be more competitive I started rushing through content more as I wanted to be stronger, get gear, finish content so I could be in Cyrodiil more. Looking back my most enjoyable days were still running around the first zones not leaving them until I had completed every little thing in them.

great advice and as i am enjoying the leveling and quests thats not an issue :)
  • Xendyn
    Xendyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes definitely agree with this.
    You only get One first time through and then it'll never be new and exciting again. Take your time and enjoy :)
    Lag is ruinin' my 'mershun!
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance - Socrates
    Member of the Old Guard, keepers of the game's history

PC/NA
  • Alpen
    Alpen
    Bfish22090 wrote: »
    i would re roll if youre not a high elf magick build or redguard stamina build so you can be competitive at max level

i was told it doesnt make that much of a difference really
  • Bfish22090
    Bfish22090
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alpen wrote: »

you do 10% more damage with a high elf or redguard
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is debatable. You don't need to min/max race/class to complete all the content in the game nor get on leaderboards. However if you truly wanted to be the best possible in a role you need to.

Be aware though that later this year (hopefully) they'll be bring race change to the game as a Crown Store purchase meaning if you do reach end game and are unhappy you'll have the option to change your race.
  • Reb
    Reb
    ✭✭✭

Correct :) Unless your into min/maxing ,or want to push for the top of leader boards.

for most people it makes little difference
  • Fellenore_Ewalion
    Fellenore_Ewalion
    ✭✭✭
    As a loreaddict newcomer with the Tamriel Unlimited, I welcome you in our ranks!

I think basically there are 3 aspects of ESO:

1.) Questing & Achievements (if you listen to every conversations and complete everything, it can give you a very long time of joy) - PvE
    2.) Co-op: basically dungeons, but you can try yourself out, make connections, get the rope of the game
    3.) PvP: Cyrodiil and inside it, the Imperial City (needs a DLC to access)

Some major advice to each of them:

1.) If you are questing, follow the main storyline, finish the guild quests, become a monster if you want to (vampire or werewolf), start fishing, never buy equipment, start a profession, read everything, make decisions, grab a direction and explore. Do not pay too much attention on your character's improvement, pretty much every content can be completed with pretty much any build. Maybe dispense your attribute points into one line (Health, Magicka, Stamina), in order to be a bit more effective.

Harvest materials, but never craft! You will literally have no idea, what you are picking up! :)
    A very basic idea: almost everything that is white, could be sold or deconstructed. Some green items below lvl50 might have some value (only those which are marked as a "part of a set", especially the jewelries - rings and necklaces), but they can be deconstructed, too. Do not sell/deconstruct anything at or above blue quality at the beginnings!

2.) Co-op: now you need some randoms or friends to explore a higher lever or combat in ESO. Type in zone chat "LFG x" where x is the name of the group dungeon of the zone. Start to read chatbox. Start to pay attention on other players. Start to save their asses and let/ask them save yours. Be friendly. Be altruistic. Be yourself (gallant or villain, whatever you are).

But first of all, you must know that now you are responsible for your party members' game experience. They count on you, don't let them down.

3.) PvP: this is really a cockfight as its best. There is no beginner pvp right now, and as you go to Cyrodiil, you will face many seasoned, cunning and exploiting ***. You will soon learn the meaning of "gankers".

There are two rules in Cyro: first, always listen to the group leader, and do what (s)he says. Second, never curse or blame your fellows. Defeat or victory, you belong together. If you ever hold them responsible for your defeat, you can never cheer with them your victory.

Some general advices:
    - get the Mages guild and Fighters guild skill lines as soon as possible
    - collect lorebooks (install addon if you play on PC)
    - kill undead and daedra (especially in dungeons)
    - mind the dungeons, especially the group dungeons: try to finish them below level 50, and then once again after level 50 (undaunted is the most complicated skill line to improve)
    - collect skyshards
    - study set bonuses, trade carfully, hoard every materials
    - study skills
    My Great House Telvanni did not join the Pact.
    But it does not mean I don't want to be Emperor.
  • Alpen
    Alpen
    As a loreaddict newcomer with the Tamriel Unlimited, I welcome you in our ranks!

I think basically there are 3 aspects of ESO:

1.) Questing & Achievements (if you listen to every conversations and complete everything, it can give you a very long time of joy) - PvE
    2.) Co-op: basically dungeons, but you can try yourself out, make connections, get the rope of the game
    3.) PvP: Cyrodiil and inside it, the Imperial City (needs a DLC to access)

Some major advice to each of them:

1.) If you are questing, follow the main storyline, finish the guild quests, become a monster if you want to (vampire or werewolf), start fishing, never buy equipment, start a profession, read everything, make decisions, grab a direction and explore. Do not pay too much attention on your character's improvement, pretty much every content can be completed with pretty much any build. Maybe dispense your attribute points into one line (Health, Magicka, Stamina), in order to be a bit more effective.

Harvest materials, but never craft! You will literally have no idea, what you are picking up! :)
    A very basic idea: almost everything that is white, could be sold or deconstructed. Some green items below lvl50 might have some value (only those which are marked as a "part of a set", especially the jewelries - rings and necklaces), but they can be deconstructed, too. Do not sell/deconstruct anything at or above blue quality at the beginnings!

2.) Co-op: now you need some randoms or friends to explore a higher lever or combat in ESO. Type in zone chat "LFG x" where x is the name of the group dungeon of the zone. Start to read chatbox. Start to pay attention on other players. Start to save their asses and let/ask them save yours. Be friendly. Be altruistic. Be yourself (gallant or villain, whatever you are).

But first of all, you must know that now you are responsible for your party members' game experience. They count on you, don't let them down.

3.) PvP: this is really a cockfight as its best. There is no beginner pvp right now, and as you go to Cyrodiil, you will face many seasoned, cunning and exploiting ***. You will soon learn the meaning of "gankers".

There are two rules in Cyro: first, always listen to the group leader, and do what (s)he says. Second, never curse or blame your fellows. Defeat or victory, you belong together. If you ever hold them responsible for your defeat, you can never cheer with them your victory.

Some general advices:
    - get the Mages guild and Fighters guild skill lines as soon as possible
    - collect lorebooks (install addon if you play on PC)
    - kill undead and daedra (especially in dungeons)
    - mind the dungeons, especially the group dungeons: try to finish them below level 50, and then once again after level 50 (undaunted is the most complicated skill line to improve)
    - collect skyshards
    - study set bonuses, trade carfully, hoard every materials
    - study skills

awesome commment thanks man. do you recommend any class in particular. i like being hard to kill and i enjoy melee dps. I was thinking dragonknight cause i was told i can be tanky but can i do much dps with them in pvp? are they hard to kill?
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Krist
    Krist
    ✭✭✭✭
    All above are good answers, but basically if you are taking your time, you will understand the things people are talking about as you progress in levels and story lines. I do not think I have had to ask many questions because in time I simply learned them through the play.

If you want to learn something, YouTube has many different walk throughs from very good players. Try that, it will be more in depth than someone can be ingame. It helped me tremendously in building my skills and what to do with how I want to play. I never copied any of the builds, but it showed me the why's and what's. There are videos to walk you through trials etc....so my advice, if you are new, is to play and learn....use YouTube to help with some things....and pick up what you can from other players. It is all confusing at first, trying to learn even what the others are talking about in chat, but it will come to you in time.
    "Krist the Lionheart? No. Lionheart was my dog" -Krist
    "Darling, if looks were everything, I would be king of the world" -Luke
    "That place, between day and night, that purple color just before dark, that is where you will find me"- Hughe
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

great advice and as i am enjoying the leveling and quests thats not an issue :)

Try as well the non-combat activities, like crafting, doing writs, exploration and treasure hunting and use the found weapons to either learn traits from them (called research in ESO), deconstruct them or use it if they are better than your current gear. Provisioning can be fun as well, I like to cook different stuff and have boosters this way after my current liking. Alchemy can do some interesting stuff for your performance in battle as well. Putting skill points into those will avoid the feeling that the content is too easy, because it isn't, if you spend part of your skill points on non-combat related things.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah and another hint when it comes to deconstruction. It is good to have alts and let them deconstruct what your character has crafted. Deconstructing stuff, what you made yourself provides very low XP, but when your alt is doing it, he/she gains more XP from doing that. So craft and exchange that stuff with your alts using your bank account. That bank account works inter-factional even - meaning you can have alts in different factions and they can still interchange stuff via your bank account. To have alts in all factions is as well helpful as it gives you access to more guild traders and you might find what you need more easily.
    Edited by Lysette on February 26, 2016 7:32PM
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And as a last hint, but you might know about it already (I didn't and it took me a month to finally get it), you can train your mounts at stables, costs 250 gold every day - you can have more speed and as well more inventory space with it. In the case that you haven't a mount yet, get one - 10,000 gold is the Sorrel horse and can be bought at stables. With 8 low level characters and doing the daily writs it takes just 2-3 days to earn the gold for the Sorrel horse. It is a chocolate brown one.
  • Alabyn
    Alabyn
    ✭✭✭

Just play what you like!
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alabyn wrote: »

Just play what you like!

I second this, play what you feel most comfortable with - in the end you have the most fun, if you play as you please instead to follow a meta build, which might not be your cup of tea. What good is it, if you are competitive, but it is no fun to play.
    Edited by Lysette on February 26, 2016 8:03PM