Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer / dual wield / spell damage

Tyrion87
Tyrion87
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Recently I've learned that sorcerer, when dual wielding, deals more spell damage than while using a destro staff.
So my question is: how's that possible?
Should I spend skill points into some active or passive abilities from dual wield skill line to do more spell dmg? If so, which one? Cause I can see no single ability which would increase spell dmg.
Or is it just automatic, i.e. in order to deal more spell dmg it's enough to equip two swords (do it always have to be swords btw?) instead of destro staff (with the same stats, enchants, traits etc.), without putting any skill points into dual wield skill line?
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You need to spend two skill points in the last passive for dual wield. The damage increase is a LOT.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each weapon you carry adds spell and weapon damage, so if you carry more weapons you get more spell/weapon damage. Dual wield does give lots more spell damage, in the realm of 700 more at v16 I believe, but it isn't mandatory. When you carry 2 swords you lose the ability to light/heavy attack from range, which is a big deal for a ranged dps. Also light/heavy attacks from a staff can add a lot of damage to a rotation, somewhat making up for the loss of dps from lower spell damage. Dual wielding is a different playstyle for a sorc in pvp; slower with more emphasis on burst.

From what I see more sorcs in cyro use destro/resto than dual wield/resto. In pve it's becoming normal for sorcs to dual wield on their overload bar and fire staff weave on the other bar to generate ulti, while dumping cp into elemental expert, all to boost overload damage.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on February 13, 2016 8:54PM
    PC | EU
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically carrying 2x v16 gold sword will make a quite the different, the last passive twin blade and blunt gives you a flat % increase dmg, not wpn/spell dmg but your dmg overall, your tooltips go up by 5% as well.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you guys so much for your help! So summing up:
    1) Two swords (and only swords) give the most spell dmg than any other weapons.
    2) I need to invest only 2 skill points into the last passive from the dual wield skill line.
    3) Dual wield bar needs to have overload ulti slotted.
    And here are my last questions regarding the above:
    1) How does dual wield affect overload dmg since it's an ulti so it does scale off the highest stat, not the spell dmg or max magicka? Unless the increased spell dmg becomes that highest stat...
    2) Do some other passives from dual wield also affect spell dmg and require putting some skill points into them, like:
    - Ruffian (Gives you X% damage bonus when attacking stunned, immobilized, disoriented, or silenced enemies)
    - Dual Wield Expert (Increases Weapon Damage by X% of off-hand weapon's Damage).
    3) Which traits/enchants would you recommend for these swords?
    Edited by Tyrion87 on February 15, 2016 11:26AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tyrion87 wrote: »
    Thank you guys so much for your help! So summing up:
    1) Two swords (and only swords) give the most spell dmg than any other weapons.
    2) I need to invest only 2 skill points into the last passive from the dual wield skill line.
    3) Dual wield bar needs to have overload ulti slotted.
    And here are my last two questions regarding the above:
    1) How does dual wield affect overload dmg since it's an ulti so it does scale off the highest stat, not the spell dmg or max magicka? Unless the increased spell dmg becomes that highest stat...
    2) Do some other passives from dual wield also affect spell dmg and require putting some skill points into them, like:
    - Ruffian (Gives you X% damage bonus when attacking stunned, immobilized, disoriented, or silenced enemies)
    - Dual Wield Expert (Increases Weapon Damage by X% of off-hand weapon's Damage).
    3) What traits/enchants would you recommend for these swords?

1) ultis scale of the highest stats, as magicka build this should be spell dmg/max magicka. all weapons give the same spell dmg boost, only swords buff overall dmg by 5%.

2) No, none of the other passives benefit magicka builds.

3) you can DW on any bar but most pve sorcs use if on their overload bar to increase overload dmg. In pvp sorcs sometimes dont run overload on their DW bar but Dawnbreaker of Smiting or Meteor. The enchants dont really matter much because you wont use weapon attacks very often, I use disease (minor healing debuff) and shock (chance to proc disintegration).
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    Recently I've learned that sorcerer, when dual wielding, deals more spell damage than while using a destro staff.
    Should I spend skill points into some active or passive abilities from dual wield skill line to do more spell dmg? If so, which one? Cause I can see no single ability which would increase spell dmg.
    Or is it just automatic, i.e. in order to deal more spell dmg it's enough to equip two swords (do it always have to be swords btw?) instead of destro staff (with the same stats, enchants, traits etc.), without putting any skill points into dual wield skill line?

well the damage number mite be larger, but who does that is forced to use crappy skills mages furry, low damage, while i use Force shock=Crushing Shock, so with my speed i do more damage then he does with the same time :) its like in other games he has 2h Sword & me 1H sword, well maybe it is same result in the end like difference between 1H Sw & 2H Sw in other game, but i do that damage faster, cause he has to use mages fury that has lower damage then other attack spells
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sugram22 wrote: »

well the damage number mite be larger, but who does that is forced to use crappy skills mages furry, low damage, while i use Force shock=Crushing Shock, so with my speed i do more damage then he does with the same time :) its like in other games he has 2h Sword & me 1H sword, well maybe it is same result in the end like difference between 1H Sw & 2H Sw in other game, but i do that damage faster, cause he has to use mages fury that has lower damage then other attack spells

Staff = more sustained dps
    Dw = Better burst
    PS4 EU DC

• Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerf it! Magic users should be staffs only! .... not swords, something is broken here.... erm wait I have 2 swords on my magic builds...nvm don't Nerf it :o

Seriously though, you shouldn't get" spell" damage bonus from swords..... we all know its wrong, I am surprised they haven't "nerfed " it yet.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reevster wrote: »
    Nerf it! Magic users should be staffs only! .... not swords, something is broken here.... erm wait I have 2 swords on my magic builds...nvm don't Nerf it :o

Seriously though, you shouldn't get" spell" damage bonus from swords..... we all know its wrong, I am surprised they haven't "nerfed " it yet.

Nothing wrong with it, you get higher spell dmg in exchange for losing your desto passives and the ability to light/heavy attack
    PS4 EU DC

• Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reevster wrote: »

Nothing wrong with it, you get higher spell dmg in exchange for losing your desto passives and the ability to light/heavy attack

Well the issue is whether or not the DW passive for having 2 swords is broken or not, you can run 2 swords and increase other stats on a magic build that is correct. But should it give you extra spell damage or is that passive broken and is giving extra physical and spell damage when it should only be giving extra physical damage.

I don't want to be "exploiting" the "bug" if indeed its a bug......

If its working as intended then great!

Edited by Reevster on February 15, 2016 5:29PM
  • Sugram22
    Sugram22
    ✭✭✭
    Sugram22 wrote: »

Staff = more sustained dps
    Dw = Better burst

end result same!
    Maybe Staff Even Better a bit, like i said itd like difference between 2handed & 1Handed Sword in other games
    DW is forced to use Weak Spell, Mages Furry