Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Provisioning - how did you level it?

• ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Krinaman wrote: »
    Haewk wrote: »
    enem wrote: »
    You know there are ingredient vendors, right?

the grocers only sell a tiny subset of vet level ingredients.

the bulk of what you need for levelling Provisioning (namely getting from 10->20) such as plump worms or liver can only be found by a character at the appropriate low level.

I remember leveling provisioning at very low levels by buying ingredients from a vendor, so low level ingredients most definitely exist on ingredient vendors.

You missed the point. The vendors only sell half the ingredients, it's set up so you can't buy the ingredients for a whole recipe from the vendor, only the second ingredients such as flour. The first ingredient has to be found by searching.

Yep, I am having an absolute nightmare of a time trying to level provisioning at v12. I go to the starter areas and loot containers and get high level mats. I kill low level mobs and they don't drop anything because they are grey. I farmed a bunch of level 5 ingredients with a brand new toon but I'm going to have to level all the way up with level 5 stuff or level the toon to get higher level mats.

I have absolutely no idea why it doesn't drop stuff based on your provisioning level or the level of the area.

It did drop ingredients based off the area's level. But the problem with VR zones were it wasn't dropping VR materials. So they made it based off your level. You'll still find things that were appropriate for the level of that area, like drippings, amber malt, etc. But the way they updated it was more a band-aid to make most the ingredient level to you.

I think this is another reason we'll be seeing a provisioning update on how ingredients work. Because right now, it's not beneficial to people who didn't level it up along the way.
  • Chalybos
    Chalybos
    ✭✭✭
    On the upside, it does encourage you to play alts scattered in every tier. :#

Okay, so maybe that's not really an upside ...
  • Haewk
    Haewk
    ✭✭✭
    Krinaman wrote: »
    enem wrote: »
    You know there are ingredient vendors, right?

the grocers only sell a tiny subset of vet level ingredients.

the bulk of what you need for levelling Provisioning (namely getting from 10->20) such as plump worms or liver can only be found by a character at the appropriate low level.

I remember leveling provisioning at very low levels by buying ingredients from a vendor, so low level ingredients most definitely exist on ingredient vendors.

You missed the point. The vendors only sell half the ingredients, it's set up so you can't buy the ingredients for a whole recipe from the vendor, only the second ingredients such as flour. The first ingredient has to be found by searching.

Yep, I am having an absolute nightmare of a time trying to level provisioning at v12. I go to the starter areas and loot containers and get high level mats. I kill low level mobs and they don't drop anything because they are grey. I farmed a bunch of level 5 ingredients with a brand new toon but I'm going to have to level all the way up with level 5 stuff or level the toon to get higher level mats.

I have absolutely no idea why it doesn't drop stuff based on your provisioning level or the level of the area.

In the VR zones I get a mix of top level ingredients and the ingredients relative to the zone. If I go to the starter VR zone of opposing factions I do get some of the low level ingredients. Are you sure you are going to the right zones?
  • Krinaman
    Krinaman
    ✭✭✭
    In the VR zones I get a mix of top level ingredients and the ingredients relative to the zone. If I go to the starter VR zone of opposing factions I do get some of the low level ingredients. Are you sure you are going to the right zones?

Yep, I'm sure. I get the low level ingredients I can buy from the vendor but not the other one. Thankfully I raided the guild bank, spammed zone offering much more than the items were worth, etc. and managed to get to 50.

• JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just by looting and making everything I could each time I was near a cooking fire, I hit Level 50 Provisioning before my character was Level

Cooked food, and drinks, have a vendor value even if you cannot personally use what you created whereas the materials have a zero vendor value, so make sure you cook everything you can.

You can then vendor the created items for a minimum price to earn a few coin. Blue and purple created foods can be offered for sale on your guilds or in open chat if you cannot personally use them.
  • Food4Thought
    Food4Thought
    ✭✭✭
    I was slow going with Provisions as well only because I got in a rute and couldn't loot anything other than level 1 and 5 recipes. I seriously wanted to stab my eyes out. As soon as I got a level 10 recipe, it seemed like the others fell in my lap like rain.

It probably took me longer to go from 1 - 20 than it did 21 - 50.
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tossing all of the drink mats I found together because drinks are mostly useless given the current ease of capping regen.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• enem
    enem
    the level 10->20 provisioning progression has been the hardest for my characters. difficult to locate suitable lv10/15 recipes and ingredients. once I've hit 20 in provisioning it all starts ticking along pretty nicely.

I now have alts at character level 12 and 16 so i'm spending some time logging in and doing ingredient runs and stocking up on ripe apples, wild honey, and as much pigs milk as I can squeeze out of the little blighters.
  • Big_Kountry178
    Big_Kountry178
    Soul Shriven
    Well after you beat the game, go to Hollow City, though these will be higher level recipes, so be aware. Go to every building and loot everything. Don't worry, nothing is considered stolen if you get it here. Usually I find 2-3 recipes per run, the occasional motif, and tons of style materials, lockpicks and provisioning ingredients. YW in advance.
    Superior ambitions breed superior people. LONG LIVE THE DOMINION!!!