Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Provisioning - how did you level it?

Homm
Homm
✭✭✭
Ok, so now I have all crafts maxed except provisioning, which is sitting at 11/50.. Took me an hour to get from 10 to 11. My guild is annoying me, saying they did 50 in like 4 hours total, when I'm struggling for every 500 craft exp..
Any advice here? I have only recipes for lvl 1 and 5 (green) and for over a week now I can't buy level 10 (either green or blue) anywhere. Also, level 5 need kwama eggs and snake venom which I can't get in larger quantities, so I'm stuck making level 1 items.. This is driving me crazy.
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those recipes are everywhere and when you do the food the skill crows so fast.

What you are doing wrong is maybe that you only have lvl 1 and 5 recipes. Run through some town all houses couple of times and you should find few new recipes at least.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Artemiisia
    Artemiisia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    u need to go back to that zone, where you can loot everything your highest provs lvl at the moment can make, that way you will get the recipes to make more and more higher.

The harbor/ships/ins are good places to farm mats
  • Homm
    Homm
    ✭✭✭
    Syntse wrote: »

What you are doing wrong is maybe that you only have lvl 1 and 5 recipes. Run through some town all houses couple of times and you should find few new recipes at least.

Tried that, I get recipes for lvl 6 recipe improvement in stonefalls.. wtf.. is it totally random, or somehow based on where I farm them? If I want lvl 10-15 recipes (the best ones for recipe improvement lvl1), should I farm anything (which never worked) or stonefalls/deshaan (I'm EB) ?
    Edited by Homm on July 21, 2014 10:00AM
  • Pele
    Pele
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Are you a vet? The recipes you find are based on your character's level. If you're a vet, you will not find low level recipes. Make an alt to get lower level recipes or buy them from other players.
    - Level 10 and 15 recipes are a bit rarer and harder to find especially the blue ones.
    - Craft the highest food level you can make to level the fastest.
    - Kill snakes for snake venom.

Good luck!
  • Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Homm wrote: »

Tried that, I get recipes for lvl 6 recipe improvement in stonefalls.. wtf.. is it totally random, or somehow based on where I farm them? If I want lvl 10-15 recipes (the best ones for recipe improvement lvl1), should I farm anything (which never worked) or stonefalls/deshaan (I'm EB) ?

Somehow I get feeling that you do not check the right places. Of course your level and the area you are in effects what you find in terms of what level stuff. What containers more likely gives these are backbags, desks, cupboards, cabinets, nightstands, trunks, closets.
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • Homm
    Homm
    ✭✭✭

Somehow I get feeling that you do not check the right places. Of course your level and the area you are in effects what you find in terms of what level stuff. What containers more likely gives these are backbags, desks, cupboards, cabinets, nightstands, trunks, closets.

I checked to proper ones. It's like Pele wrote, I logged to my lvl 4 alt and I got a lvl 1 recipe from 2nd container, and I get only v5 on my main.. oh well, making a lvl 10 alt now..
  • Fuzzylumpkins
    Fuzzylumpkins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bacon. Lots of bacon.
  • Vuron
    Vuron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same issue. I didn't level provisioning until I was already high level.

Most of the suggestions are correct. You need to find the highest level recipe that you can create and beg, borrow, steal, loot, search for the ingredients. Get as many of the ingredients that you can for 1 recipe and just keep hitting 'R'. When you run out of mats for that recipe, see if you can move on to the next highest recipe.

I farmed for days trying to get Guar eggs and managed to spam zone chat enough in the starter area and bought every one that I could. Like your guildies said, once you pass a certain point, you can get to level 50 in about 2 hours.
  • Haewk
    Haewk
    ✭✭✭
    Bacon. Lots of bacon.

Billy has 32 pieces of bacon. He eats 28. What does he have now?
    Happiness. Billy has hapiness.
  • Homm
    Homm
    ✭✭✭
    Haewk wrote: »
    Bacon. Lots of bacon.

Billy has 32 pieces of bacon. He eats 28. What does he have now?
    Happiness. Billy has hapiness.

Also, fat. A lot of it.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you get to an area where you have the recipes but can't craft them (ie you are too low), go back to an area you can craft for, and gring out the food/drink. This usually means scouring the cities for the ingedients.

Once you can craft level 20 recipes, provisioning usually shoots up quickly, but the low levels are a grind. But since you get boosts to health/magic from food it's worth it.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Mind what people Do, not what they say, for actions betray a lie.
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Kalann_Pander
    Kalann_Pander
    ✭✭✭
    I logged to my lvl 4 alt and I got a lvl 1 recipe from 2nd container, and I get only v5 on my main.. oh well, making a lvl 10 alt now..

You won't find recipes much higher than your character level.

Your best bet is to log in to your main, go back to his starting city (i.e Vulkhel Guard if you started in AD), and loot the place clean. You should be looting both recipes and ingredients up to level 15.

Looting 2 cities yielded enough ingredients that I was able to train my master-chef to be from level 1 to 35 in provisioning, using only recipes level 15 or below (for the leftover ingredients). 4 or 5 cities should be quite enough to max the skill-line.
    Ok, so now I have all crafts maxed except provisioning, which is sitting at 11/50.. Took me an hour to get from 10 to 11. My guild is annoying me, saying they did 50 in like 4 hours total, when I'm struggling for every 500 craft exp..

To be honest, I'm slightly incredulous at the fact that you've maxed all other crafts, when provisioning is by a very long shot the easiest to level.

Methinks this is why your guildmates are making fun of you. ;) I know I would.
    Sorry to say so, but you sound like a Formula 1 engineer asking for help about repairing a bicycle. o:)
    Opinions are like buttholes : Everybody has one, and they usually stink.

3 things to reduce stamina/magicka imbalance :
    - Use magicka to block abilities costing magicka, instead of stamina.
    - Add % damage reduction to heavy armor.
    - Add block penetration to 2H.
  • Kalman
    Kalman
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Loot some recipies
    2. Loot ingredients
    3. Go to a Cooking Fire
    4. Make Food or Drink
    5. Profit!
  • Haxnschwammer
    Haxnschwammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I started to level Provisioning quite late and only because our main guild chef just left. After getting a purple V5 recipe of course...
    Well, I made a few hundred low level stuff but then I found a level 15 recipe
    in a guild store. 2 portions, level, 3 portions, level, another 3 level...
    A few minutes later I spend a skillpoint so I could use a level 25 recipe.
    2 portions, level, another 3, level.....
    until Level 40 or so. Another skill point and about 30 shank whatever I had max level.
    Leveling to 10 took about 2 hours. When I had that level 15 I went to max level in half an hour.
    I had enough stuff in our guild bank, so it was easier. And I already had quite a lot recipes found. It was by far the easiest skill to level.
    Once I was a healer. Then I took a Wrobel to the knee.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a small army and all found food stuff and recipes go to the provisioner. As someone pointed out once you start making higher level food with higher level recipes you rapidly smoke through provisioning.

I have had a level 50 cook for quite a while, but yesterday I leveled my Enchanter through 15 and 16. Now that is a huge pain to get to, but it looks like even it is accelerating in XP gains at last. Those are the golden Enchanter levels I think. He was strong, now he's a beast. ;)
  • indytims_ESO
    indytims_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Provisioning is without a doubt the easiest craft to level. It was my first one to 50... and took about 3-4 hours. To me, it's TOO easy to level, but doesn't matter now.

Lots of good advice from others in this thread already, so I won't repeat it. Keep the faith. :)
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loot, buy, take recipes from your guild bank. No matter what quality, keep learning recipes. Go exploring and loot any foods. Best to empty your sack and quit at a cooking fire after your sack is full to the brim.

Cook up starting from the highest recipes down to the lowest. Sell your cooked food/drink and use it for new recipes, even the green ones. Try to hit new towns/areas for exploring and repeat. Keep feeding Recipe Quality skillpoints until you can make any level recipe.

If you can get a high recipe like beef sirloin or grilled venison that takes just a couple ingredients, make a few stacks and sell it off. And I found a lot of recipes doing quests, in the instances loot like crazy before leaving. Also, some bookshelves boosted my cooking before I hit 50. Good luck!
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm....I'd picked up a L15 recipe on my L10 character. I was actually finding ingredients for it, even though I've been told that shouldn't happen *shrug*. I hit L50 Provisioning at L18. Given the coming update it's very tempting to run my 10 Alts around and level them all up to L50 Provisioning.

STFU there is nothing wrong with having 10 Alts! :D
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • enem
    enem
    same boat here. was V5 when I decided to finally put some time into provisioning, and the only way I managed to do it was creating a new alt and searching for materials as I levelled up.
    by the time he was level 15 I had a bunch of materials for the lvl 25 recipes, and from there the provisioning levels flew past.

if you need help with recipes or even low level mats OP hit me up via in-game mail (US server.)
  • JessieColt
    JessieColt
    ✭✭✭✭
    The fastest way to level Provisioning is to make foods/drinks that are at the top of your current skill group.

If you are able to make food up to level 29, loot for level 25 recipes and make those.

As soon as you skill point into the next level, look for recipes at the high end of that group, and make only those items.

• AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JessieColt wrote: »
    The fastest way to level Provisioning is to make foods/drinks that are at the top of your current skill group.

If you are able to make food up to level 29, loot for level 25 recipes and make those.

As soon as you skill point into the next level, look for recipes at the high end of that group, and make only those items.

While I did craft the highest available to me when I was levelling, I wouldn't loot solely for the higher level recipes. I looted everything that I could craft with, then when I got to the cooking fire, I crafted the higher recipes first, then the next highest if they were still available (usually only two or three times before the ingredients ran out). Then I sold everything I wasn't going to use.
    People believe what they either want to be true or what they are afraid is true!
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have toons in all craft lines and this was the easiest to level by far. Was at 50 in two weeks.
  • Krinaman
    Krinaman
    ✭✭✭
    Leveling this as you go is by the far the easiest way. Except you will always have full bags. I tried to go back on my DK who was 5/50 and got all high level mats. Made an alt to run around the town to get me low level mats. It's going to suck if I have to level this toon up just to keep getting mats. Something is obviously broken with this.
  • Haewk
    Haewk
    ✭✭✭
    You know there are ingredient vendors, right?
  • enem
    enem

the grocers only sell a tiny subset of vet level ingredients.

the bulk of what you need for levelling Provisioning (namely getting from 10->20) such as plump worms or liver can only be found by a character at the appropriate low level.
  • Haewk
    Haewk
    ✭✭✭
    enem wrote: »

the bulk of what you need for levelling Provisioning (namely getting from 10->20) such as plump worms or liver can only be found by a character at the appropriate low level.

I remember leveling provisioning at very low levels by buying ingredients from a vendor, so low level ingredients most definitely exist on ingredient vendors.

So either different vendors sell different ingredients or the available ingredients scale with your level.
  • AlexDougherty
    AlexDougherty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I remember leveling provisioning at very low levels by buying ingredients from a vendor, so low level ingredients most definitely exist on ingredient vendors.

You missed the point. The vendors only sell half the ingredients, it's set up so you can't buy the ingredients for a whole recipe from the vendor, only the second ingredients such as flour. The first ingredient has to be found by searching.
    Wizard's first rule
    Passion rules reason
    Wizard's third rule
    Wizard's fifth rule
    Wizard's tenth rule
  • Chalybos
    Chalybos
    ✭✭✭
    Was grindy, but easy. I just dumped everything into the bank, left my chef at a fire, and burned through whatever was low in quantity, to empty the bank slots. I think maybe, maybe, two weeks of normal gameplay, maybe 15 minutes at a stretch on that toon here & there. And with recipes no higher than 20. I'm clicky, raiding every box/crate/chest/trunk/cabinet, taking everything and sorting it later, so materials for cooking was never an issue. Found plenty of recipes as well in the process, plus more motiff's than I knew what to do with.

Point is, that was the easiest of the skills to level, and I think that by the time I hit 50 my highest adventuring character was in their mid-teens. You just need to click on containers ... a lot. Any non-blue foods you aren't going to keep, you can sell. Small consolation for all that clicking, though. :\
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Provisioning is just one of those skills like alchemy that really requires you to level it as you go for a nice steady pace, unless you can jump into some big recipes and big ingredients with outside assistance.

For me, each time I hit a new zone, I made enough food in the level range I was to last me to the next zone, which usually bumped me 10 levels each time. I didn't master until Shadowfen in EP.
  • Krinaman
    Krinaman
    ✭✭✭

You missed the point. The vendors only sell half the ingredients, it's set up so you can't buy the ingredients for a whole recipe from the vendor, only the second ingredients such as flour. The first ingredient has to be found by searching.

Yep, I am having an absolute nightmare of a time trying to level provisioning at v12. I go to the starter areas and loot containers and get high level mats. I kill low level mobs and they don't drop anything because they are grey. I farmed a bunch of level 5 ingredients with a brand new toon but I'm going to have to level all the way up with level 5 stuff or level the toon to get higher level mats.

I have absolutely no idea why it doesn't drop stuff based on your provisioning level or the level of the area.