Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lore Explanation for "Barbershop"?

• Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First-order Break residues sometimes create unusual localized phenomenon, notably they can alter mythopoeic archetypes on, let's call them "susceptible" individuals. Noted individuals display one of at least two known predisposing conditions, specifically Agency Locus Termination (ALT) syndrome (limiting cyclical factor of 8, as if anyone expected any other number), or Facile Obstructive Might (FOM) disorder. In either case, the transformation of the individual can range anywhere between complete morphological overhaul, to a slightly different mustache.

While some scholars believe this to be a function of wholesale kalpic replacement, others agree that it is a more discrete event. Still, there has been more than one penny dreadful series in circulation that use the phenomenon as a plot device, all creating yet-more-horrific scenarios in which a loved one or an important political leader is replaced by a dwemer construct or a lizard man. Imaginative, but operating under entirely false pretense, of course.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping they have a Loremaster article about the Hollow-Faced Men of Nohotogrha when it comes out.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I met Gadris the Dark Elf and Zur the Khajiit. These two mages share a single body, as their souls were melded at this Vile Laboratory when they arrived in Coldharbour. This soul-meld has weakened them. If they remain combined, they will surely die. The Dark Elf mage I was talking to transformed into a Khajiit. I should talk to him and get more details about their strange malady." - The Soul-Meld Mage

It probably won't be that elaborate, but that's a pretty clear precedent already in the game. And of course since Gadris has better racial passives, I always save him. Every. Single. Time.

:)
    signing off
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lore Explanation: Sanji's Kick

Im+Handsome.PNG

PS4 NA DC
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pheefs wrote: »
    This is a silly fun question & is really two questions in one...

1. How does this work according to Lore?
    2. WHAT do we call it?

For example, we stand in front of an enchanted mirror that shows us the reflection we want to see, & an Alteration Mage makes it real.
    but what do we call the Mage? Aesthetician?

B)

I've always thought that soul gems of some type. So Molag B took our souls and later we reclaim them....
    Perhaps initially this offers a chance to mess around with the light of Meridia to change our appearance.

Anything else tho....lore-wise would seem to be related to thieves guild or Dark Beotherhood stuff as is seems you could do something that benefits from changing your identity.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Change your Attributes - Shrine of Akatosh/Auriel/Kyne
    Change your Skills - Shrine of Stendarr/Stuhn

Logical extrapolation:
    Change your Appearance - Shrine of Dibella
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • kirk_lewis_ESO
    kirk_lewis_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    An explanation for going to sleep as a Breton and waking up a Nord? Strong skoomer
    Templar - looking for a new job (Blame the economy).
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best tattoo artist in the game: a blind Falmer with a muzzle so he can't bite
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    Change your Attributes - Shrine of Akatosh/Auriel/Kyne
    Change your Skills - Shrine of Stendarr/Stuhn

Logical extrapolation:
    Change your Appearance - Shrine of Dibella

Agreed. They could also go the Skyrim route and have some NPC that you talk to. Either one can easily be part of Lore and can be inserted into the game world.

Elder Scrolls is one of those game franchises where they can do the Lore and keep it in the setting of the world. The question is whether they want to be bothered to do that. The cheap and easy route is to go the sterile MMO route and just have some menu that comes up, like how they did mail.

It is more work, and expense, to build in a Lore-based "barbershop" in the game world. There are dialogs that have to be created. In-game resources that may have to be created. The world needs to be edited to insert these things. If there is an NPC, there will be voiced dialog and actors. This is on top of whatever it takes to actually do the "barbershop" changes to the character. I don't assume that character editing and character creation can use the same interface. They may need to create a new one for the "barbershop", even if they look similar.

I will be considerably surprised to see this "barbershop" in the world, especially using an NPC, instead of some Alt or Options menu, because I know that it will cost them more to do that. More work is more expense, and they need to be able to generate enough revenue to cover development.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It'd most likely fit into the Alteration magicka style. Simple as that.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When there is a lore explanation that compelled those of use who had to hurry through the character creation process to ensure we got our preferred names, then I'll start caring about the lore explanation for the barber shop.

Besides, if my templar can call down a piece of the sun and my DK can reflect meteors, I think replicating minor plastic surgury through alternation magic isn't inconceivable.
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    why not just agree that it's an uncle Sheo cultist altering people to cause confusion and mayhem?

"hey mr khajiit have you seen my dunmer friend lately?"
    "I am he, this one is your friend"
    "yes and Sheogorath is my uncle, stop trying to confuse me and tell me where he is if you know!"
    "ok, he is here."
    "..."

Lore created :)
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• WalkingLegacy
    WalkingLegacy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does everything have to revolve around lore for this game?

I'm already running around tamerial with hundreds of people around, buddy in my party and forced into solo missions without said party. Lore is breaking the MMO portion of this game.
  • Marrtha
    Marrtha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it coming any time soon since you are talking about it? The options to change our appearance? Please?
    Use @Marrtha when replying!
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »
    why not just agree that it's an uncle Sheo cultist altering people to cause confusion and mayhem?

They wouldnt change people into other races. Theyd change them into cheese. Or skeevers. Or cheese skeevers...
    Edited by khele23eb17_ESO on February 1, 2016 3:27PM
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • b92303008rwb17_ESO
    b92303008rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jhunn wrote: »
    Who cares. MMO.

This is the difference between ESO and other MMOs, if there is any. If ZOS has this ambition to make ESO special, these details must be handled with care.

Don't listen to those who tell you this doesn't matter. People saying it doesn't matter do not care about this game. They just move on to another.
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Who cares. MMO.

Lots of us. TES.

How do Crown Store work in lore? How do menus work in lore? How do logging in work? Not Everything has to have a lore reason and most stuff dont.

I am a lore nerd as well but I dont think lore should hold back improvment.

But seriously. Its simple. Barbershops in citys? Magic? But to be honest I think they will just be in the Crown store

Oh... I have issues with the Crown Store @Snowstrider

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/149494/in-game-crown-store-integration-concept/p1
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/172089/immersive-crown-store-player-response-to-eso-live-answer/p1

And the way Maps work...
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/154057/eso-advanced-mapping-concept/p1

The way mounts disappear...
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/165659/tangible-mounts-advanced-concept/p1
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/159507/advanced-mounts-overhaul-concept/p1

And I use Harven's quest journal to make my in-game journal look like this:
    QVo7jPU.jpg?1

So whole everything doesn't "need" to be immersive... everything CAN be immersive, or as immersive as a game can be. :wink:
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you need a lore explanation for logging on to your character and double clicking the icon on your desktop as well?

Immersions broken.

That's just a ridiculous argument and you know it @Yolokin_Swagonborn
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »

They wouldnt change people into other races. Theyd change them into cheese or skeevers... or cheese skeevers...

that would be Sheo himself, the less than madgod folk of shivering isles would possibly see benifits to it
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After the creation of Nirn the Aedra - unlike the Daedra - left the most of their power within their creation. By accident those guys got a big portion of it:

Cirugia-medieval.gif

MiddleAgesGuildCraftsmen-4.jpg

Rumours tell, that they might even have the power to descale you:

hecht70.12.jpg

Edited by Flameheart on February 1, 2016 4:22PM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Umbranox wrote: »
    I bet it'll bee Aesthetation, the Beauty School of Magic. I imagine the practice was lost towards the end of the 2nd Era, which is why TES4 characters look the way they do.

*slow claps*
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • ral
    ral
    ✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »
    It is like having a dream that you are no longer a Nord man but an Orc woman instead...you keep dreaming about your aesthetic look..and when you wake up next morning you see that the dream became reality.
    And don't forget your clothes magically changed to match your new look.

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I would still hope they might split the character recustomization options into several parts... one "everyday change" part, which might truly be a "barbershop" - changing only hairstyle, makeup, adornments for gold cost, lorewise "haircut, duh...", some recordkeeper that you can bribe with crowns to have your character name changed, and finally some very much magical "facesculptor" option for the other crown-fuelled "recustomization" changes, including race and gender for those who really, really want that. Shrine of Dibella would also work well enough for that one.

Skyrim had its facesculptor wizard as part of the organized crime... it would make sense for criminals whose wanted posters have become a bit too prominent to want an option to adjust their appereance. And plastic sorcery is how they might go about that in a fantasy world. We also have some magical/alchemical racechanges in TES questlines... no gender change I can recall here, though that one is a classic from D&D (anyone playing that ever find a belt they equipped before identifying and then were very surprised as their character suddenly needed a new wardrobe? :tongue:;) ) Lore is less of an issue with so many precedents for pretty much everything flying around...
  • Xantaria
    Xantaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zorrashi wrote: »
    Who cares. MMO.
    Are you lost? This is the ESO forums, where a significant portion of the playing population consider themselves TES players. We have radical lore junkies, moderate lore enthusiasts, and liberal lore appreciates.

AAAAAAND there are people like me who don't give a single f...about lore and story and skip every quest immediatly and are annoyed by every single NPC talk you can't skip.
    Xantaria - Lead of Chimaira
    Hardcore Progress PvE Player - Livestream - Youtube

World First Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    World First Tick-Tock Tormentor

Proud Member of the Council of Exploiters.
  • Marrtha
    Marrtha
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do you honestly need an explanation?

A LORE EXPLANATION TO GET YOUR HAIR CUT AND BEARD TRIMMED?

There will be people specializing in those, skills let's call it, so they wouldn't cut your head off while cutting your *** hair, and they will charge you for it. Just like you charge someone for making them a piece of super gold tempered piece of armor. And those same people might also help you fix your scars and tattoos. BIG DEAL.
    Use @Marrtha when replying!
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares. MMO.

This is the difference between ESO and other MMOs, if there is any. If ZOS has this ambition to make ESO special, these details must be handled with care.

Don't listen to those who tell you this doesn't matter. People saying it doesn't matter do not care about this game. They just move on to another.

It doesn't matter, at least to me. I do play another MMO, but have been subbed almost continuously since pre-launch. Considering how many people I see transformed into ridiculous things via crown-store polymorphs, I look at immersion with heavily jaded lenses. Oh, sorry - you're getting polymorphed into a draugr or whatever? Why isn't the guard chasing you out? They add that sort of thing without care for immersion, why would I care about a barber shop I'm going to be spending 5 minutes in before going about my day? Immersion's great, I rather enjoy RPing, but there's a time and a place. And if they give a ridiculous, 'now it's lore' explanation, I'd just as rather they didn't.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xantaria wrote: »
    Who cares. MMO.
    Are you lost? This is the ESO forums, where a significant portion of the playing population consider themselves TES players. We have radical lore junkies, moderate lore enthusiasts, and liberal lore appreciates.

AAAAAAND there are people like me who don't give a single f...about lore and story and skip every quest immediatly and are annoyed by every single NPC talk you can't skip.
    Haha, so many people took the bait. Relax guys :)
    Edited by Jhunn on February 1, 2016 5:06PM
    Gave up.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artjuh90 wrote: »
    Ffastyl wrote: »
    FACE SCULPTOR
    41959-1-1378825185.jpg

didn't have race change though did it?
    Hermaeus Mora was known to turn Atmorans into Aldmer.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on February 1, 2016 6:27PM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xantaria wrote: »
    Who cares. MMO.

Chill man :p , the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. This whole thread is basically about how to add a lore friendly spin to a typical "MMO" feature.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didgerion wrote: »
    It is like having a dream that you are no longer a Nord man but an Orc woman instead...you keep dreaming about your aesthetic look..and when you wake up next morning you see that the dream became reality.

^^this. To complete a face/race change you have to do a repeatable quest for Vaermina, and it ends with changing your face/race through the power of the dreamstride. Could also happen through the wabbajack because cheese!