The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lore Explanation for "Barbershop"?

Pheefs
Pheefs
✭✭✭✭✭
This is a silly fun question & is really two questions in one...

1. How does this work according to Lore?
2. WHAT do we call it?

For example, we stand in front of an enchanted mirror that shows us the reflection we want to see, & an Alteration Mage makes it real.
but what do we call the Mage? Aesthetician?

B)
{ Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    I bet it'll bee Aesthetation, the Beauty School of Magic. I imagine the practice was lost towards the end of the 2nd Era, which is why TES4 characters look the way they do.
  • Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares. MMO.
    Gave up.
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. One would imagine the easier aspects of the barbershop (i.e tattoos, hair, jewelry) are made by hair barbers, tattoo artists and jewelers. It is possible for a man/woman to know all professions.
    But for the more 'permanent' additions like the face shape, arm width and eye structure? There was a face-sculptor in Skyrim that referenced several institutions that may have studied the art--even though it may not always be trusted or in demand.

2. Well i'm not the best on names. But if we separated the changeable features into categories (like jewelry, face sculpting, hair styles) then we can just name them based on their profession. The guy who does hairstyles is called a barber, the girl who does the jewelry is called a jeweler, etc. But if one person did all of the changes at once? Maybe we should call him/her the "alterist". Or the "the Dibelllian".
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umbranox wrote: »
    I bet it'll bee Aesthetation, the Beauty School of Magic. I imagine the practice was lost towards the end of the 2nd Era, which is why TES4 characters look the way they do.

*lol*
    funny cause its TRUE!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • BackFreckle
    BackFreckle
    ✭✭✭
    Jhunn wrote: »
    Who cares. MMO.

*Slow clap*
    Lara Dorren - Breton Templar
    Morzann - High Elf Nightblade
    Orik - Nord Dragonknight
    Oromis - High Elf Sorcerer
    Ellaria Sand - Redguard Sorcerer
    Solara - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    N'guvu Mojeda - Khajiit Sorcerer
    Lady Pakura - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Solembum - Khajiit Drafonknight
    AD//PS4//NA
    PSN - KuruptGamer
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Um cosmologist been around for centuries and there have been some lore wise such as the face sculptor from the Dawnguard DLC of Skyrim.

As for what it's called I'm gonna guess barber it wouldn't be lore breaking if some soldiers ask a barber to shave there head or more commonly some royally people or political people asking a barber to shape there hair and or beard for say fancy parties.
    Edited by Forestd16b14_ESO on January 31, 2016 11:43PM
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares. MMO.

Lots of us. TES.
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who cares. MMO.
    Are you lost? This is the ESO forums, where a significant portion of the playing population consider themselves TES players. We have radical lore junkies, moderate lore enthusiasts, and liberal lore appreciates.
  • BackFreckle
    BackFreckle
    ✭✭✭
    Zorrashi wrote: »
    Who cares. MMO.
    Are you lost? This is the ESO forums, where a significant portion of the playing population consider themselves TES players. We have radical lore junkies, moderate lore enthusiasts, and liberal lore appreciates.

I and a significant portion of the playing population of myself considers me to be an mmo player. I have cookies and punch soo......

He was making a joke.
    Lara Dorren - Breton Templar
    Morzann - High Elf Nightblade
    Orik - Nord Dragonknight
    Oromis - High Elf Sorcerer
    Ellaria Sand - Redguard Sorcerer
    Solara - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    N'guvu Mojeda - Khajiit Sorcerer
    Lady Pakura - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Solembum - Khajiit Drafonknight
    AD//PS4//NA
    PSN - KuruptGamer
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the ESO forums, where a significant portion of the playing population consider themselves TES players. We have radical lore junkies, moderate lore enthusiasts, and liberal lore appreciates.

I'm still leveling Liberal Lore Appreciate, but I'm close to the next tier.
    :wink:
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umbranox wrote: »

We all remember that period of time during which everybody had potato heads.

Dark times, dark times indeed.

Also something about oblivion portals opening everywhere, who cares.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • vyrusb23
    vyrusb23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pheefs wrote: »
    This is a silly fun question & is really two questions in one...

1. How does this work according to Lore?
    2. WHAT do we call it?

For example, we stand in front of an enchanted mirror that shows us the reflection we want to see, & an Alteration Mage makes it real.
    but what do we call the Mage? Aesthetician?

B)

1. There is a little known Daedric Prince known as Vidal Sassoon, Lord of Vanity and Selfies. In a bid to take over all of Tamriels grooming and plastic surgery products and services, the Prince has brought back long-forgotten ancient morphing services.

2. These services are provided by the servants of Vidal Sassoon, also known as Bassoons.
    Edited by vyrusb23 on January 31, 2016 11:56PM
  • khele23eb17_ESO
    khele23eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We'll call it 'Cash Shop' :P
    P2P offered you 'hell yeah!' moments. F2P offers you 'thank god its over' moments.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's comming for the QQ min/maxers who need the best race to see they still fail :D
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FACE SCULPTOR
    41959-1-1378825185.jpg
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • hammayolettuce
    hammayolettuce
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do explain the crown store then for "lore" .. It's the same concept. Certain quality of life additions have to be made for the longevity of eso.

Snü (Magicka DK) ♥ Thnu (Stamplar) ♥ Pizza for Breakfast (Magplar) ♥ Sparklefingers (Magicka Sorc) ♥
    Bean and Cheese Burrito (Magicka DK) ♥ Snurrito (Stamplar) ♥
    DARFAL COVANT
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artjuh90 wrote: »
    it's comming for the QQ min/maxers who need the best race to see they still fail :D

also for those of us who made a mistake at character generation, my Bosmer is too tall... not Nord tall but still too tall.
    :smile:
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ffastyl wrote: »
    FACE SCULPTOR
    41959-1-1378825185.jpg

didn't have race change though did it?
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FACE SCULPTOR
    41959-1-1378825185.jpg

its creepy!
    like.... Blacklist #78: The Face Sculptor, creepy
    but that could be a good thing I guess.
    The guy who does hairstyles is called a barber, the girl who does the jewelry is called a jeweler, etc. But if one person did all of the changes at once? Maybe we should call him/her the "alterist". Or the "the Dibelllian".

I like those!
    & something Dibellan makes sense

• Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is like having a dream that you are no longer a Nord man but an Orc woman instead...you keep dreaming about your aesthetic look..and when you wake up next morning you see that the dream became reality.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

also for those of us who made a mistake at character generation, my Bosmer is too tall... not Nord tall but still too tall.
    Even tall Bosmer are midgets. Having Altmer for allies doesn't help change this impression. :)
  • Zorrashi
    Zorrashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »

Even tall Bosmer are midgets. Having Altmer for allies doesn't help change this impression. :)
    I always preferred to think of them as "shrubby" myself. ;)
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Who cares. MMO.

Lots of us. TES.

How do Crown Store work in lore? How do menus work in lore? How do logging in work? Not Everything has to have a lore reason and most stuff dont.

I am a lore nerd as well but I dont think lore should hold back improvment.

But seriously. Its simple. Barbershops in citys? Magic? But to be honest I think they will just be in the Crown store
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FACE SCULPTOR
    41959-1-1378825185.jpg

didn't have race change though did it?

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • Taternater
    Taternater
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever you see something like that, a wizard did it.
  • Knaxia
    Knaxia
    ✭✭✭
    Because Magic. That's all.
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1: Magic, duh

2: Faceless Emporium
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you need a lore explanation for logging on to your character and double clicking the icon on your desktop as well?

Immersions broken.
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »
    Who cares. MMO.

Lots of us. TES.

How do Crown Store work in lore? How do menus work in lore? How do logging in work? Not Everything has to have a lore reason and most stuff dont.

I am a lore nerd as well but I dont think lore should hold back improvment.

But seriously. Its simple. Barbershops in citys? Magic? But to be honest I think they will just be in the Crown store

are you asking about logging in fitting in lore? last i check you had to do that in every (TES) game