The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ESO Crash - Uses 3.5gb RAM

j.wienenb16_ESO
Hi,

I recently had the urge to play ESO again. So yesterday I downloaded/installed ESO (On a freshly installed win10), at first it kept crashing in character select
which I fixed by tweaking the usersettings file (d3d11 to d3d9). That solved atleast the crashing in character select.. But now the game crashes everytime around 5min ingame.. I've noticed that ESO is starting at 2gb and slowing moving up to 3.55gb where it eventually crashes. With 32bit only supporting up to 3.5gb might this be the problem that's causing the crashes?

I have the following:
- Clean install ESO
- Clean install win10
- Updated drivers
- Updated directX
  • j.wienenb16_ESO
    The talk about gb's was RAM 2gb.
    I've noticed that ESO is starting at 2gb and slowing moving up to 3.55gb where it eventually crashes. With 32bit only supporting up to 3.5gb might this be the problem that's causing the crashes?

Here I meant 2gb RAM ofcourse

• j.wienenb16_ESO
    Do you have Windows 10 32 bit, with 4GB RAM?

No, I have win 64 bit with 8GB RAM
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭

I actually do run the game on a 32 bit with 3gb(4gb total but 32 doesn't support 4gb or higher)
    And the game crashes within mere seconds when I'm trying to play, I just did a repair hopefully that'll do the trick.
  • j.wienenb16_ESO

I actually do run the game on a 32 bit with 3gb(4gb total but 32 doesn't support 4gb or higher)
    And the game crashes within mere seconds when I'm trying to play, I just did a repair hopefully that'll do the trick.

Yea I know that 3gb (i believe 3.5gb) is max supported by 32bit. That's why I find it so strange this game is exceeding that amount. I have set my texture quality to medium to reduce the RAM cost. That helped.. but a poor solution. I used to play this game with all on Ultra. And I still can, but only for a matter of seconds untill the ram is piled up again.
  • Wily_Wizard
    Wily_Wizard
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a WEBPAGE that shows the limitations of both kernel mode and user mode in x86 and 64bit windows...and here is a WEBPAGE that explains the difference in kernelmode and usermode.

Remember, 32 bit ESO.exe runs in user mode space, which is limited to 2GB on a 32 bit OS, (and 4GB on a 64bit OS, ONLY if the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE was set during the compile process). I have no idea if ESO was compiled with the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set, ZENI would have to chime in on that. Here's a quick EXPLANATION on that.

@marten_philip , Your ESO is definitely limited to 2GB of usermode space. You can easily change that by setting the /3GB Switch in your windows bootup. Normally your system runs on 2GB usermode + 2GB kernelmode memory, if you set the /3GB switch to default, your system will run on 3GB usermode(which helps ESO) + 1GB kernelmode(which could potentially cause problems). If you have a gaming video card, chances are 512MB of system RAM are reserved for that driver in kernelmode, so you might want to alter the /3GB switch to something like 2.5GB usermode + 1.5GB kernelmode. That latter option will give the game some more space to run, and insure any kernelmode drivers have adequate memory to run stable. You can always experiment with larger or smaller numbers until you find a stable point. Here's a WEBPAGE that explains it all. Here is a non-windows WEBPAGE with easy directions to set the /3GB switch, and possibly a better explanation.

@j.wienenb16_ESO , It seems you are in the same boat as me, since your system can already address larger usermode memory space. Interesting find on the creeping memory up to 3.55GB. I haven't looked at that lately on mine, perhaps I need to revisit that myself. That might explain the sudden resurgence of crashing I have too. I'll post back with my findings.

On a side note, you can set the windows task manager to display kernelmode + usermode CPU process utilization simultaneously, instead of only usermode. It could potentially be helpful in identifying what is using most of your resources.
    Here's an EXPLANATION to set that change.
  • j.wienenb16_ESO
    @Wily_Wizard, Yea I couldn't find the problem until I remembered this game has only a 32bit version so I decided to look at the RAM usage. Because I really couldn't find anything else. Strange thing is tho, this is the same setup I used to play ESO with. And never had any problems before. The only thing that's different is a bunch of patches in ESO + windows 10.
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a WEBPAGE that shows the limitations of both kernel mode and user mode in x86 and 64bit windows...and here is a WEBPAGE that explains the difference in kernelmode and usermode.

Remember, 32 bit ESO.exe runs in user mode space, which is limited to 2GB on a 32 bit OS, (and 4GB on a 64bit OS, ONLY if the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE was set during the compile process). I have no idea if ESO was compiled with the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE set, ZENI would have to chime in on that. Here's a quick EXPLANATION on that.

@marten_philip , Your ESO is definitely limited to 2GB of usermode space. You can easily change that by setting the /3GB Switch in your windows bootup. Normally your system runs on 2GB usermode + 2GB kernelmode memory, if you set the /3GB switch to default, your system will run on 3GB usermode(which helps ESO) + 1GB kernelmode(which could potentially cause problems). If you have a gaming video card, chances are 512MB of system RAM are reserved for that driver in kernelmode, so you might want to alter the /3GB switch to something like 2.5GB usermode + 1.5GB kernelmode. That latter option will give the game some more space to run, and insure any kernelmode drivers have adequate memory to run stable. You can always experiment with larger or smaller numbers until you find a stable point. Here's a WEBPAGE that explains it all. Here is a non-windows WEBPAGE with easy directions to set the /3GB switch, and possibly a better explanation.

@j.wienenb16_ESO , It seems you are in the same boat as me, since your system can already address larger usermode memory space. Interesting find on the creeping memory up to 3.55GB. I haven't looked at that lately on mine, perhaps I need to revisit that myself. That might explain the sudden resurgence of crashing I have too. I'll post back with my findings.

On a side note, you can set the windows task manager to display kernelmode + usermode CPU process utilization simultaneously, instead of only usermode. It could potentially be helpful in identifying what is using most of your resources.

Unfortunately it had no effect :(

Game still crashes within a few seconds
  • j.wienenb16_ESO

Have you tried the following:
    - Run the launcher as admin
    - Set the compatibility mode to win 7/8
  • Wily_Wizard
    Wily_Wizard
    ✭✭✭
    @Wily_Wizard, Yea I couldn't find the problem until I remembered this game has only a 32bit version so I decided to look at the RAM usage. Because I really couldn't find anything else. Strange thing is tho, this is the same setup I used to play ESO with. And never had any problems before. The only thing that's different is a bunch of patches in ESO + windows 10.
    The weird thing is my PC is dual boot now, Win7/Win10, and generally Win10 allows me to play ESO longer, even with both OS's on the same Nvidia driver version.

My PC used to run ESO fine too, but its been a love/hate affair the whole time. It started out crashing a lot, then after a few patches, it was running smooth for months, then hit a bad patch and it started getting somewhat unstable, then hit another bad patch, and now its unusable.

BTW, I checked my memory usage with Win 7 64bit, 16GB RAM...
    Once fully in-game ESO was using just over 2GB, and my total RAM usage was at 4.4GB. The ESO never went higher than 2.1GB, but it still crashed while I was standing still in a town and watching it.

I checked it several times and noticed something new, I could usually get ESO to crash by clicking on or closing the task manager window, even though it was on another monitor and outside of the fullscreen-windowed game. I tried running mine in both fullscreen, and fullscreen-windowed, and it made zero difference in the crashes.
    Edited by Wily_Wizard on January 27, 2016 10:10PM
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭

Have you tried the following:
    - Run the launcher as admin
    - Set the compatibility mode to win 7/8

Yup, I've tried any known step in the trouble-shooter guide.
    Compatibility mode, Repair, Driver Rollback, Driver Update, Mediumsettings, Low Settings,
    S-ata drive, SSD.

None has had any effect. I'm now pre-paring for a OS upgrade to 8.1 64 bit.
    If that won't work than I'm at a loss.

EDIT UPDATE___________________________________________________________________________________________

I set the userVa to 3072
    And clocked Eso only using 2.2gb TOPS swapping between 2 and 2.1gb most of the time. leaving 900 to 800 mb reserved.

Also newly created character in Cold Harbour Crash immediatly upon login.

A older character in a different area of the game crashes after 5 to 10 seconds.

This all too weird for me...

GRanted the game updates and the content changes but the game got advertised as a 32-bit and 64-bit supported product( and it still does up to today)

Official notes in the support section of the TeSo site, claims we should upgrade our systems..

Seems abit harsh.. like they're making profits under false advertising by selling products to people who can't even run it anymore.

Back when I bought and played it people with systems like mine could run it with ease without any problems..

But now thing have changed...

They can't aspect me to upgrade each time they update their content.. Even though they made the promise of it being supported and playable.

As you might have guessed it's starting to get on my nerfes.

Even though I haven't played the game for over a long-long time, I still aspect to be able to use and enjoy any products I buy. But sadly Bethesda's/zenimax's TeSo doesn't live up too their promises.

Besides that.. couldn't they make any drastic engine altering updates optional..
    Like their leading competitor Blizzard's World of Warcraft is doing.

I'm not a World of Warcraft Fan-Boy but, atleast they get to choose among old and new graphical physics.
    And aren't forced to update their rig with every major patch.

Edited by marten_philip on January 28, 2016 12:13AM
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭
    Crashes still happen with 64-bit :/

Took the liberty of running the game on my win 7 64-bit laptop.
    The laptop is in most aspects superior to my current desktop yet the game still crashes..
    Edited by marten_philip on January 28, 2016 12:14AM
  • Wily_Wizard
    Wily_Wizard
    ✭✭✭
    @marten_philip , mine is crashing in less than 1 second after loading old characters. Win 764bit, 16GB RAM, latest drivers.

• Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it's a little while before it happens but I'm hoping the 64 bit client helps a lot with these issues. From what I've read there is an existing particle effects memory leak, so maybe in the mean time you could adjust the maximum particle systems and see if that reflects with memory usage.
    This is likely because of a particle system leak, which tends to show its ugly head in more intense PVP scenarios. The system itself has been completely rewritten and thoroughly vetted for these kinds of issues. It is going out with the Thieves Guild patch, in addition to the new 64-bit client.

Not saying it's the cause of what you're running into but it may help messing with those values.

676 CP
    Zyle - LVL50 Stamina Nightblade - Former Emp AS - VMA Clear (Flawless)
    Joven - LVL50 Hybrid Templar
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
    Radac - LVL50 Magicka Sorcerer
    Vanikath - LVL50 Magicka DK
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭
    @marten_philip , mine is crashing in less than 1 second after loading old characters. Win 764bit, 16GB RAM, latest drivers.

Seriously? 16gb and 64bit and still crashing?

Bethesda.. really? really?
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭
    @Wily_Wizard

I just received a reply on my ticket saying the following:

1. First, download and install the latest graphics driver (AMD / NVIDIA )
    2. Then, navigate to My Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live (or liveeu)\ and delete the file labeled “usersettings” or “usersettings.txt”. Doing this will reset your settings and force the game to re-scan your hardware.
    3. Next, add the ESOTU installation folder – C:\Program Files (x86)\ZenimaxOnline\The Elder Scrolls Online – as a folder exception in your third-party antivirus and/or firewall software
    4. Finally, repair the game files by opening your ESOTU launcher, selecting “Game Options”, and then “Repair”.

Eventhough I allready tried to run a re-pair I'll do it once more following each of their steps.
    Advice you to try the same it could work.
  • marten_philip
    marten_philip
    ✭✭✭
    @Wily_Wizard
    Never mind, it did not work. I'm now updating my ticket with a attached report.txt file.

until further notice!
  • j.wienenb16_ESO
    I'm quite sure the problem at my end is a memory problem. When I set the texture quality to 'Medium', the RAM usage never exceeds 2.1GB. When I turn the texture quality up, the RAM starts rising to 3.55gb where it eventually crashes..
    I know it's a little while before it happens but I'm hoping the 64 bit client helps a lot with these issues. From what I've read there is an existing particle effects memory leak, so maybe in the mean time you could adjust the maximum particle systems and see if that reflects with memory usage.
    This is likely because of a particle system leak, which tends to show its ugly head in more intense PVP scenarios. The system itself has been completely rewritten and thoroughly vetted for these kinds of issues. It is going out with the Thieves Guild patch, in addition to the new 64-bit client.

Not saying it's the cause of what you're running into but it may help messing with those values.

This did not had any effect for me. I've set the maximum particles to a maximum and saw no increase at all. Neither did setting it to a minimum.
  • j.wienenb16_ESO
    The weird thing is my PC is dual boot now, Win7/Win10, and generally Win10 allows me to play ESO longer, even with both OS's on the same Nvidia driver version.

My PC used to run ESO fine too, but its been a love/hate affair the whole time. It started out crashing a lot, then after a few patches, it was running smooth for months, then hit a bad patch and it started getting somewhat unstable, then hit another bad patch, and now its unusable.

BTW, I checked my memory usage with Win 7 64bit, 16GB RAM...
    Once fully in-game ESO was using just over 2GB, and my total RAM usage was at 4.4GB. The ESO never went higher than 2.1GB, but it still crashed while I was standing still in a town and watching it.

I checked it several times and noticed something new, I could usually get ESO to crash by clicking on or closing the task manager window, even though it was on another monitor and outside of the fullscreen-windowed game. I tried running mine in both fullscreen, and fullscreen-windowed, and it made zero difference in the crashes.

I had that problem when I freshly installed ESO yesterday. I fixed it by both running the Launcher + eso.exo as admin and setting the compatibility for both of them on windows 8.

That helped it a bit, what finally pushed the fix was changing 'D3D11' to D3D9' in the usersettings file in your documents folder.
  • j.wienenb16_ESO
    @Wily_Wizard, any progress/update in your situation?

• Wily_Wizard
    Wily_Wizard
    ✭✭✭
    @Wily_Wizard, any progress/update in your situation?

Nothing yet, unfortunately. I'm out of things to try, lol.
  • DahClown
    DahClown
    Soul Shriven
    Hi,

I recently had the urge to play ESO again. So yesterday I downloaded/installed ESO (On a freshly installed win10), at first it kept crashing in character select
    which I fixed by tweaking the usersettings file (d3d11 to d3d9). That solved atleast the crashing in character select.. But now the game crashes everytime around 5min ingame.. I've noticed that ESO is starting at 2gb and slowing moving up to 3.55gb where it eventually crashes. With 32bit only supporting up to 3.5gb might this be the problem that's causing the crashes?

I have the following:
    - Clean install ESO
    - Clean install win10
    - Updated drivers
    - Updated directX

What is your Gfx card / drivers version,
    I am using Nvidia with the lastest version and made me crash until i reverted back to 350.12
    Pretty annoying if you ask me.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Are you using Windows Insider builds? There have been reports to the effect that the game (others as well) immediately crashes after launching on "Build 11102.rs1_release.160113-1800".
  • j.wienenb16_ESO
    Are you using Windows Insider builds? There have been reports to the effect that the game (others as well) immediately crashes after launching on "Build 11102.rs1_release.160113-1800".

Yea I know, but already did a rollback to a previous build. Because of those problems.
    Besides, I don't crash anymore, not instantly atleast..
    DahClown wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the following:
    - Clean install ESO
    - Clean install win10
    - Updated drivers
    - Updated directX

What is your Gfx card / drivers version,
    I am using Nvidia with the lastest version and made me crash until i reverted back to 350.12
    Pretty annoying if you ask me.

GTX 680 with the latest drivers. There was an update yesterday/today that should fixed some problems. But it feels like my problem is RAM related. (Memory leaks)

I can play for hours now without any problems, but I need to set my Texture quality to 'Medium' because on 'High' there seems to be a memory leak.
    Edited by j.wienenb16_ESO on January 29, 2016 11:55PM
  • j.wienenb16_ESO
    Made a support ticket.. Hopefully they can help me with this problem.
    They don't seem to be really active on the forums, so Ill guess I just have to wait