Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I'm new and i don't know what to do

squibbward
squibbward
Soul Shriven
hi all I'm new and i don't know what to do I've played very little of the story line but I'm sure there is so much more I'm missing i don't know much about this world. anyway post some things you like to do in this game or some places i can find out more about this game and its intricacies.
Edited by squibbward on January 19, 2016 8:28PM
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    squibbward wrote: »
    hi all I'm new and i don't know what to do I've played very little of the story line but I'm sure there is so much more I'm missing i don't know much about this world. anyway post some things you like to do in this game or some places i can find out more about this game and its intricacies.

There is no right or wrong way, but after having leveled up several characters I would:

1. Go to the starter island. After you do the tutorial where you escape from Coldharbour, there is an NPC who mentions a person who rescued you and suggests how to take a boat back to see them. The starter island is a great place for new players and new characters to learn the basics of their abilities, of how quests work, etc.

2. Follow the storyline breadcrumbs but be willing to do the sidequests that pop up, the world bosses (big skull on the map), the dolmens (the places where giant anchors fall from the sky). Newer players will need others to help with world bosses and dolmens/dark anchors, but others will want to do them too.

3. Try fun things that aren't quest or progress related like fishing.

4. Deconstruct armor and weapons that drop from enemies or that you receive as quest rewards to get your crafting skills raised, except for any you might want to use. Use some of them to learn new traits. You can learn how to do this from the crafting certification trainers in the first major city you start in or by playing around at a crafting station.

5. Send friend requests to friendly and helpful players. If they are in a guild that helps new players join it (some guilds focus on this, but even those that do not are often still willing to help new people). You can get a lot of on the spot, in-game help and advice that way. They may also craft you some low level gear so you don't have to use the drops from enemies.

One more thing. The following guide isn't the best but it covers a lot of the basics of gameplay: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/159314/get-in-and-play-mini-guide-for-new-ish-players-and-rusty-returning-players
    Edited by tinythinker on January 19, 2016 9:06PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fish
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The right way is to continue doing the story line and enjoy it.
    When you will finish the main story line you will realize you want to be VR16 as soon as possible.

But they are getting rid of Veteran Levels in the near future (hopefully)...so I strongly recommend you to enjoy the story line for now.

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go ahead and grab all the side quests that pop up. Reason the zone quests will usually send you some place that also has a side quest or two, so you have less backtracking.

You can always drop a quest to pick up again later.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• squibbward
    squibbward
    Soul Shriven
    thanks everyone these are some great pieces of information ill definately look for that beginning island place and give my try at fishing
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Just go running around the world,..besides doing quests.You'll find chests to open,books to collect for advancing skills,tons of small side quests and much more.Kill creatures to advance your skills and levels too. Also there are Achievements to gain.
    There really is no one way to play the game.It's an open ended game,though there are areas that you have to unlock along the way. You'll learn how to best use your different weapons and their own skill lines,and eventually take on mobs of enemies like there's no tomorrow.
    Enjoy! :}
    Edited by Volkodav on January 27, 2016 1:16PM
  • izJordy
    izJordy
    ✭✭✭
    just explore, have fun, enjoy the world, talk to people and do quests, fight monsters and become stronger! the game will be lots of fun when u been playing for a while and understand more about it and are higher level.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are good suggestions here, and it's not necessary to repeat them. To supplement the other responses, I would also encourage joining random groups when you see someone asking in zone. If anything, it will expose you to content that you may have not done before, or enable you to meet new people. Jumping into a random group is a good way to break the questing cycle.