The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Best DPS Class and attribute

The_Lex
The_Lex
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Hey, everyone. New player, here, and I was hoping to get some advice from the community. My lowbie (level 12) main is an Imperial Stamplar, loosely based on a guide I saw on online. Before I get too far into it, I was wondering:

1) Which class is best suited for DPS with a little bit of heals on the side? PvE and/or PvP?
2) Which type of DPS is most effective, magicka or stamina? Which will best help me be effective at end-game in both PvP and/or PvE?

I appreciate any feedback you can give me.
  • Tomato
    Tomato
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magic Sorc / high elf
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tomato wrote: »
    Magic Sorc / high elf

That's what I've been hearing lately. I've read that Stamplars are only good for PvE. So, is magicka sorc best for both PvP and PvE?
    Edited by The_Lex on January 16, 2016 3:45PM
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stamina NBs and Magic Sorcs are what's considered best at the moment. I don't know why, but too many people don't realize that a stamina DKs are better than both the options I just gave you. It just takes a LOT of practice.
  • Jeckll
    Jeckll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvE: Magicka DK, Magicka Sorc
    PvP: Magicka Sorc, Stamina Nightblade
    Jeckll has quit the game. Thanks for the great time.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    too many people don't realize that a stamina DKs are better than both the options I just gave you. It just takes a LOT of practice.

Thanks for the insight. So, you think there's a steep learning curve to play the stam DK effectively?
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jeckll wrote: »

Seems like you're saying that if I want an all arounder for PvE and PvP, then Magicka sorc is the way to go.
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only thing making Sorcs powerful are our shields. Currently, the majority of players out the are night blades because of how easy and fast you can kill and get away
  • Tomato
    Tomato
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tomato wrote: »
    Magic Sorc / high elf

That's what I've been hearing lately. I've read that Stamplars are only good for PvE. So, is magicka sorc best for both PvP and PvE?

Yes magic Sorc is best for PvE / PvP
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only thing making Sorcs powerful are our shields.

So, take the shields away, and they are no longer viable?

• DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Correct, because we have no tankiness, nor any effective heals.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Then what about a magicka dps templar? Put all attributes into magicka for the abilities and you have some heals.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then what about a magicka dps templar? Put all attributes into magicka for the abilities and you have some heals.

Best heals in the game, no mobility though and not too sure how much dps they can pull.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You have heals, and from what I've seen, your only source of dps will be one ability used over and over and over again until something dies. (Jabs). Problem is that Templars and Magic DKs have been nerfed hard as hell so they're not much competition in pvp.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You have heals, and from what I've seen, your only source of dps will be one ability used over and over and over again until something dies. (Jabs). Problem is that Templars and Magic DKs have been nerfed hard as hell so they're not much competition in pvp.

Yeah, that's sounds crazy for a magicka temp to rely on a stam ability to be viable.

• The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To summarize, then, this is what you are all saying:

If I want to be viable, end-game, for both PvE and PvP I will want to roll a Magicka Sorc. Am I on the right track?
  • Tomato
    Tomato
    ✭✭✭✭
    To summarize, then, this is what you are all saying:

If I want to be viable, end-game, for both PvE and PvP I will want to roll a Magicka Sorc. Am I on the right track?

Yes

• DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A friend, who has a vr16 Magic Templar and stamina NB, recently made a sorc and one of the first things she told me was that the animations are a lot more fun. So on top of being powerful, we're very fun to play haha
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A friend, who has a vr16 Magic Templar and stamina NB, recently made a sorc and one of the first things she told me was that the animations are a lot more fun. So on top of being powerful, we're very fun to play haha

Haha. Maybe I'll roll a Sorc.
  • asneakybanana
    asneakybanana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamina dk is right up there with mag sorc for both pve and pvp. Stam dk will actually out dps a sorc over a long fight and in pvp stam dk has a ton of survivability as well as great burst from leap and wrecking blow.
    Asneakybanana AD DK Former emperor of Chrysamere and Chillrend. World first hardmode Hel'ra and Quake con winner (Alliance rank 25)
    Asneakyhabenero EP DK Former emperor of Thornblade, Haderus. World first vMA Dk clear (Alliance rank 39)
    Asneakycucumber EP Sorc Former empress of Blackwater Bay and Trueflame (Alliance rank 32)
    Asneakypineapple EP Temp Former empress of Azuras Star and Haderus (Alliance rank 22)
    Asneakypickle EP NB Former empress of Trueflame (Alliance rank 47)
    Sweat Squad
    Crowned 27x on 12 different campaign cycles | 200M+ AP earned
    Fastest AA clear ever: 5:42 | Fastest HRC clear ever: 5:27 | NA first HM MoL
    609k Mag Sorc vMA
    NA first Tick Tock Tormentor
    NA first trinity (All No Death/HM/Speed run trials titles)
    2x Tick Tock Tormentor
  • Didgerion
    Didgerion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best DPS class today will be the worst DPS class tomorrow. I would not select a class based on the best DPS criteria
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite the hate fire dk still can put a hurting on folks and played right will handle any pve content. If they give us back our self heal it's really all that we need.

100% dependant on hard to obtain gear and dots so keep that in mind, but it still works
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • asneakybanana
    asneakybanana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    Despite the hate fire dk still can put a hurting on folks and played right will handle any pve content. If they give us back our self heal it's really all that we need.

100% dependant on hard to obtain gear and dots so keep that in mind, but it still works

Only thing that's hard to obtain is kena and maelstrom staves and it can still do exceptionally well without those two things. BiS for all other armor is crafted and jewelry is boe so it can be bought. The main thing about mag dk is knowing your rotation so you know when to recast dots and don't lose any up time on those. However, stam dk is pulling close single target numbers and better aoe and only requires maelstrom weps so its kind of a toss up between the two for pve but in pvp the stam dk definitely wins
    Asneakybanana AD DK Former emperor of Chrysamere and Chillrend. World first hardmode Hel'ra and Quake con winner (Alliance rank 25)
    Asneakyhabenero EP DK Former emperor of Thornblade, Haderus. World first vMA Dk clear (Alliance rank 39)
    Asneakycucumber EP Sorc Former empress of Blackwater Bay and Trueflame (Alliance rank 32)
    Asneakypineapple EP Temp Former empress of Azuras Star and Haderus (Alliance rank 22)
    Asneakypickle EP NB Former empress of Trueflame (Alliance rank 47)
    Sweat Squad
    Crowned 27x on 12 different campaign cycles | 200M+ AP earned
    Fastest AA clear ever: 5:42 | Fastest HRC clear ever: 5:27 | NA first HM MoL
    609k Mag Sorc vMA
    NA first Tick Tock Tormentor
    NA first trinity (All No Death/HM/Speed run trials titles)
    2x Tick Tock Tormentor
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for the insight. After I finish leveling up my sorc, I think I'll give a stamina DK a shot. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that quite a few changes will be coming when ZOS introduces the Dark Brotherhood (and patches). Are they still planning on removing veteran ranks?
  • xellink
    xellink
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, that's sounds crazy for a magicka temp to rely on a stam ability to be viable.

I think he meant sweeps.

if u are a stamplar, you are relying only one one skill. jabs. you can deal op damage with jabs + evil hunter + werewolf + anything that procs on physical damage/crits because jabs will constantly proc these effects.

this is why I feel jabs > sweep
    Edited by xellink on January 21, 2016 12:31PM
  • mubzander
    mubzander
    ✭✭
    Templar is the way forward.. they can self heal effectively others can't.. with that said there is no one good class.. others may be better in some areas but it's mainly the armour you have and the strategies you use to outwit your enemies.. I have seen many Templar take out DKs..

My build was:

Reflective Light (fireballs low cost plus DoT)

Blazing Spear (Monster AoE with a great synergy.  I prefer this morph over the added magicka bonus more damage, less problems)

Puncturing Sweeps (damage plus heals, I rarely use this since you get more dps with the others so rather use magic elsewhere)

Radiant Oppression (340% extra damage on targets under 50% health)

Breath of Life (best healing in the game hands down)

Solar Disturbance (would like meteor or bats but this is a great sub does DoT as well)

That's the best skills on Templar in my opinion.. i completed couple of dungeons using this build and pretty much solod story mode with this but I didn't like playing DPS at all so I switched to a full time vampire healer after I reached vet level 3..

My Combos:

Light attack
    Reflective Light for damage and DoT
    Light attack
    Puncturing Sweeps

Animation cancelling is key with this build you cannot lose precious seconds xD
    Edited by mubzander on January 23, 2016 6:19AM
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All classes of all flavors can pull good DPS. Some are stronger or weaker in PvP but that's patch dependent so don't base your decision on that. Really, it's what benefit do you want other than just dealing damage? DKs have strong ultimates and CC. Night blades have cloak for quick escapes. Sorcerers have strong shields and best mobility in the game. Templars have best heals in the game. Which flavor would you like?
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really, it's what benefit do you want other than just dealing damage? DKs have strong ultimates and CC. Night blades have cloak for quick escapes. Sorcerers have strong shields and best mobility in the game. Templars have best heals in the game. Which flavor would you like?

With those options: Shields & mobility and then Heals, in that order.

• Shaggygaming
    Shaggygaming
    ✭✭✭
    First toon, play a sorcerer or nightblade.
    Edited by Shaggygaming on January 27, 2016 8:22PM
  • jnelson1182
    jnelson1182
    ✭✭
    I take it a lot of changes have happened since the last post in this thread?
    * Maccb- Level 50 DragonKnight- Fire mage type build/ BSW body, Valkyn Skoria mister set, & Willpower Jewelry/Random Flame/Lightning/Reston STAFF's
    **MBF**
  • POMEH
    POMEH
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you write nothing about warden? My first and one character is warden and I am interested could I fight in PVP when will become stronger (50 lvl) in Cyradil and feel good in battles?