The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Night Capping

Thallia
Thallia
✭✭
Now I know a lot of people probably already have hate in their blood by just looking at the title.

But this needs to be said.

Night capping is just Horrible for PvP. And recently it seems like less and less people play during the day or night time (18-22) and more during Early morning times like 1-5 AM

PvP at launch used to be a beautiful Expierience that no other game could ever recreate, this is why this Night capping is infuriating me beyond expression.

For the PvE'ers and the ones that do not know, Night capping is when the enemy PvP'ers in Cyrodiil, ON PURPOSE Change their sleeping schedule so that they wake up at about 4-6 AM just so they can get a full group to capture all the defencless keeps to get their (IMO) Un deserved Emporer to the throne, and to take the scrolls of the opposing factions.

This is a really sad and pathetic thing to, which should stop a lot of people from doing so. BUT there will always be the odd few that will do this just so they can win PvP. Right now PvP just seems to be a game of who can stay up the latest and who can have the most poeple online during 4-6 am.

This has to be fixed some way or another because honestly this just ruins the PvP experience, since (Actual example that happend) a faction like the Dc can just win the whole Campain because the nightcapped emporer and Took scroll with a full zerg and 5 am (Multiple times during the Campaign of course). Has PvP really come to just night capping?

Now I know @ZoS Has mentioned that they are aware of the countless amounts of Night caps and how it is ruining the PvP experience of players.

Im not sure what they are planning to do to fix this but I've heard a couple of suggestion on Zone chat.

A good Way to fix this would be to Buff the NPC's so that you would NEED a full zerg to kill them (of course this has its flaws aswell as you can kill anything with a couple of ballista bolts)

Another way I found to be not too bad was to Limit how many keeps can be Capped during a night cap, so lets say during 3-8 am only the EP keeps untile Arrius can be capped and no further. This is not too bad of a way but I could see this also causing some problems one way or another.

I've heard lots of other good Ideas on BWB campaign and im sure lots of people have good ideas on how to fix this PvP breaking issue! And if you have one you can always tell it down below!

I hope Zeni will soon fix this as I hate this Night capping BS and it just makes me so mad (even if my faction does it, and will get mad at the people who do it in my faction). Whatever way Zeni will aim to fix this, I hope it is a good flawless way that wont hinder the normal PvP experience and that it will be put into place soon!

Enjoy your New Year!
EP:
Vesari - Woof Elf NB VR16
Erenwyn - High Elf Templar VR16
'Elayne - High Elf Sorc 20
Erenweyn - High Elf Templar 17
Sax-In-Da-City - Dark Elf Dragon Knight 4

DC:
Ammir - Redguard Templar 35
Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These ppl deserve our pity, not hate.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    Jura23 wrote: »
    These ppl deserve our pity, not hate.

Haha True, Hate fuels them. ;):D
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem then becomes, the game is deciding when it's ok to siege a keep. which means down times would become nearly dead, and uptime would be packed / laggy. The suggestions you mentioned almost reward a faction for not being there.

Some rebalancing could be done to help make it so 4 v16s couldn't take a keep by themselves, but there's little to be done about people who specifically wait till down time to PVDoor.
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • ChrisXO
    ChrisXO
    ✭✭✭
    It's a 24/7 server and campaign, and not everyone lives in North America. Your 4AM could be someone else's prime time. Anyone has the right to pvp whenever they want as much as they want.

If you don't like the way that the map looks when you wake up in the morning, flip it back! It's what the oceanic players did when they woke up and logged on :smiley:

Nobody seriously expects players in different time zones to respect their map gains... do they?

- ad scrub -
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pathetic for having insomnia and primarily only being able to play early in the morning? Kinda harsh man. Not everyone is there for night capping, some actually have no choice because of different time zones or schedules.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ChrisXO wrote: »
    It's a 24/7 server and campaign, and not everyone lives in North America. Your 4AM could be someone else's prime time. Anyone has the right to pvp whenever they want as much as they want.

If you don't like the way that the map looks when you wake up in the morning, flip it back! It's what the oceanic players did when they woke up and logged on :smiley:

Nobody seriously expects players in different time zones to respect their map gains... do they?

I have to agree, most of the Aussie players play on the NA server, between 12am - 7am EST. Besides, waking up to a flipped map gives you something to do in the morning B)
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    Okay I see the argument of the differant time zones, and I do agree. If you are lets say in Australia, Asia or a place where they do not have a server dedicated to their time zone (yet) then its hard for night capping not to take place.

BUT this issues DOES exist, people do ON PURPOSE night cap just so they can get an edge in the PvP war. Some poeple might even go to the NA servers when they reside in Europe which isnt good at all! The examples I said above arent flawless Like I said " I could see this also causing some problems one way or another."

Dont look at those examples as flawless what so ever those are basic solutions that could be built upon. And It OBVIOUS that night capping goes on a lot, its not just people from other time zones. I wake up at 10 am. And see the whole map belongs to DC or AD and they have all scrolls.... totally they just are in differant time zones.....
    Edited by Thallia on December 31, 2015 7:57PM
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I'm pathetic for having insomnia and primarily only being able to play early in the morning? Kinda harsh man. Not everyone is there for night capping, some actually have no choice because of different time zones or schedules.

If you are suffering from Insomnia maybe gaming is not a good Idea (with all the blue light and everything). But I can understand. Sometimes I cant sleep so I play until like 3-4 am. But the argument wasnt adressed towards players like you. lets face it a whole faction DOES NOT suffer from any sort of Insomnia. Its jsut not possible. Also its just not possible that only 1 faction suffers from it and the other 2 are peacfully sleeping.

I apologize if I Offended you, I did not mean to do so with the Statement I made, I am just trying to address the people that purposely stay up late just so they can gain a advantage, which is not cool.
    Edited by Thallia on December 31, 2015 8:01PM
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    ChrisXO wrote: »

Well I have rarely seen in my main campaign that I like to play on (BWB) that any Faction can ever gain such a huge lead like the night capping do. Have you ever had s push so strong during the Day time (When most poeple come on after work etc.) when the territory is pushed to their last keep, for both factions, and possessing all the scrolls. Unless I live under a roke I have rarely to never seen such a thing During High log times.
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thallia wrote: »
    I apologie if I Offended you, I did not mean to do so with the Statement I made, I am just trying to address the people that purposely stay up late just so they can gain a advantage, which is not cool.

Yeah no worries. I just wanted to inform you some people don't have a choice. I've had insomnia for years, before I even started getting into MMOs.
    Granted there are people who deliberately do it, but many don't have much option.
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    The problem then becomes, the game is deciding when it's ok to siege a keep. which means down times would become nearly dead, and uptime would be packed / laggy. The suggestions you mentioned almost reward a faction for not being there.

Some rebalancing could be done to help make it so 4 v16s couldn't take a keep by themselves, but there's little to be done about people who specifically wait till down time to PVDoor.

I would have to agree with you, But there has to be some sort of limit during the times where most players do not play, The server population for all factions are low during the nights and they always are, Sure if they are all high then maybe the exception might fall but, there has to be a way to eliminate the Night capping.

It is just unfair and its possible to win whole campaign just through constant nightcapping and it has happend before. I put in alot of work with my groups and other groups in the Campaign, yet we still lose because 10 people on the other faction didnt have to go to school or work the other day so they could capture all the keeps and Scrolls.
    Edited by Thallia on December 31, 2015 8:12PM
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭

I would have to agree with you, But there has to be some sort of limit during the times where most players do not play, The server population fro all factions are low during the nights and they always are, Sure if they are all high then maybe the exception might fall but, there has to be a way to eliminate the Night capping.

It is just unfair and its possible to win whole campaign just through contant nightcapping and it has happend before. I put in alot of work with other my groups and other groups in the Campaign, yet we still lose because 10 people on the other faction didnt have to go to school or work the other day so they could capture all the keeps and Scrolls.

perhaps the answer would be in the scoring, rather than timezones or downtime. I know they want to move away from large groups but perhaps make it so taking a keep from just the NPCs (or minimal player resistance...lets say 3 active players) affords less AP and campaign scoring. Night cappers could still night cap, it just wouldnt be worth as much for the campaign (making it a less viable option of winning) and still allows our players in different timezones to flip them back to earn their own points. Obviously there's some fine tuning to be made... our aussie friends shouldn't have their ranks penalized simply because there's no players on, but It could be used as a step in the right direction.
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭

perhaps the answer would be in the scoring, rather than timezones or downtime. I know they want to move away from large groups but perhaps make it so taking a keep from just the NPCs (or minimal player resistance...lets say 3 active players) affords less AP and campaign scoring. Night cappers could still night cap, it just wouldnt be worth as much for the campaign (making it a less viable option of winning) and still allows our players in different timezones to flip them back to earn their own points. Obviously there's some fine tuning to be made... our aussie friends shouldn't have their ranks penalized simply because there's no players on, but It could be used as a step in the right direction.

That is a very good solution! :) Yet isnt the Scroing on hourly intervals?

Edited by Thallia on December 31, 2015 8:14PM
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Once I see that I'm on a campaign where my side owns the inner keeps and begins attacking outer keeps, I log off or switch campaigns. Outside of grabbing the scrolls for your team, attacking the enemy home keeps at this point is just unsportsmanlike.

Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it night capping for people with insomnia in the USA to play with their Aussie friends?
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    Is it night capping for people with insomnia in the USA to play with their Aussie friends?

Well Kind of.

I say kind of because that usually just consists of like 4-5 people?

That little amount of people could not manage to cap so much things. Night capping is with full zergs purposely not sleeping so they can get an advantage.
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • CatchMeTrolling
    CatchMeTrolling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Must be a PC thing mostly, cause in a active server you couldn't really do this unless you got lucky and nobody was really on
  • Jaybe_Mawfaka
    Jaybe_Mawfaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    inb4 nightcappers will color the whole map in the first new year night :)
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    Once I see that I'm on a campaign where my side owns the inner keeps and begins attacking outer keeps, I log off or switch campaigns. Outside of grabbing the scrolls for your team, attacking the enemy home keeps at this point is just unsportsmanlike.

I would like to High light the word Unsportsmanlike That is exactly what im trying to say!

If you are just 4-5 people playing with your friends from all over the world thats fine you wont do much in the campaign to affect the scorring to much. But if its people basically CHEATING or EXPLOITING peoples sleep! then that is not fine in any way! and Very unsportmanlike.

I could defeat FC Barcelona in a match with my friends if they were sleeping!

EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    inb4 nightcappers will color the whole map in the first new year night :)

Hahah yeah I heard someone say that the faction controling the first day of 2016 will be the ones with the latest time zone ie. Australia. :D
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • Sheezabeast
    Sheezabeast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well Kind of.

I say kind of because that usually just consists of like 4-5 people?

That little amount of people could not manage to cap so much things. Night capping is with full zergs purposely not sleeping so they can get an advantage.

You're right, my group is usually less than 5 people, and we usually just bleed resources for AP or whatever else we need to do :) I wish at night the lag was better, but god Azuras is just as laggy at night and in the AM as it is during the day :(
    Grand Master Crafter, Beta baby who grew with the game. PC/NA. @Sheezabeast if you have crafting needs!
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭

You're right, my group is usually less than 5 people, and we usually just bleed resources for AP or whatever else we need to do :) I wish at night the lag was better, but god Azuras is just as laggy at night and in the AM as it is during the day :(

Exactly :) this Thread isnt aimed at the nice people that just want to play with their friends, you are not affecting the Scoring much at all, you are just seeking to have a good time with friends :) which is good

Night cappers on the other hand....

They try to ruin others Good time others will have with friends during the day by Reversing all the progress the other fcitons have made and do even more damage and undeserved "progress".

Edited by Thallia on December 31, 2015 8:34PM
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A scoring system, hourly or something like that would be best. Because you cannot tell people who've paid money to play on a 24/7 game, when they can or can't play. Some sort of scoring would greatly reduce night capping.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    A scoring system, hourly or something like that would be best. Because you cannot tell people who've paid money to play on a 24/7 game, when they can or can't play. Some sort of scoring would greatly reduce night capping.

Agreed, A better scroing system maybe then the one we have currently. Well not a better one to say more just a 'smarter' one. (So nightcapping detection etc.)
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search Google for the word "timezone" and be prepared to be educated ...
    shades.gif
  • Thallia
    Thallia
    ✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    shades.gif

Read at the what I said above about the differant timzones and nightcapping.

Its obvious if some faction nightcapped if the whole map belongs to one faction.
    EP:

DC:
    Thallia - Breton NB 25
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    shades.gif
    Read at the what I said above about the differant timzones and nightcapping.
    Its obvious if some faction nightcapped if the whole map belongs to one faction.
    I read your posts. "Undeserved progress"? Really now?

Someone took your faction keeps while you were asleep and that makes it "undeserved"?

I must have missed the memo from ZOS where they stated that everyone in Cyrodiil had to respect your need for sleep and not fight while you snooze.
    screwy.gif
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You do realize Aussie guilds play too, right? Is it wrong for them to flip keeps with 12 players? The fact is with a 24 hour server and Oceanic players not having their own server, you can't stop night cappers without imposing unfair rules on people who don't or can't play at primetime.
    PC/EU DC
  • Valencer
    Valencer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making NPCs a lot tougher would get rid of a lot of the disorganised (but currently inevitable) off-hour capping. If 2 people can flip a fully upgraded keep, that's simply exactly what's going to happen a lot of the time.

It would also make it easier for outnumbered defenders to actually hold a keep in the late hours.

Right now it's exactly as you said... you can put in a ton of effort all day leading groups or doing a lot of work for your alliance in general and then during the night one group (doesnt even have to be a big one anymore) decides to stay up late and your scrolls and most of your homekeeps are simply gone overnight because there were only a few defenders online at that hour who just got zerged together with the NPC guards of those keeps. Not a very motivating environment to play in.
  • PhatGrimReaper
    PhatGrimReaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So.... I pay the same money for the game yet my pvp experience should be hindered because I live in NZ...... yea, no!
    Edited by PhatGrimReaper on January 1, 2016 12:26AM
    Fat Grim Reaper - (m)Dragon Knight AR28
    F G R Junior - Templar AR26
    This One Had Name Changed - Nightblade AR19
    Fat Grim Streaker - Sorcerer AR15
    M12-GM - Guardians of the Twelve-GM - Crown Store Heroes - ETU
    RÀGE - R.I.P