Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Video] Dahg's PVP Sorc Archer build

Huggalump
Huggalump
✭✭✭✭
THIEVES GUILD UPDATE:

ORIGINAL POST:

I use a pretty funky build and a while ago I made a short video of me soloing in IC. A lot of people started asking about the build, so I decided to start up a channel (always wanted to) and make a build video. You can also check out my first (and short) pvp clip here

Now I know for a fact that very few, if any, people are using this build because I had to fix a game breaking bug to make it work. For months, there was a bug with weaving snipe+heavy attacks that would break your health bar when using Critical Surge. The devs thought it must be a problem on my computer because no one else was complaining about it. I made a big thread on the forums to try to find other people experiencing it, and found no one.

The point is, either no one is using a build like this or no one is playing it like I do. Either way, a ranged stamina build like this should be in the game. It offers decent damage, but great crowd control, sustain, and mobility. It's an extremely fun build and, honestly, the first build that I enjoyed combat with.

Let me know what you think, what you like, what you don't like, etc. And if you try the build out, please post reactions! I'll be checking this thread often.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEBLrfNwAPU
Edited by Huggalump on March 15, 2016 2:03AM
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    + 1 for being a sorc, a Khajiit and AD all at once :D
    Very nice build indeed, I like the use of Magnum shot, one of my fav bow abilities that is totally underrated atm, probably because it requires some skills to understand where you're going to land :p.
  • Huggalump
    Huggalump
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arciris wrote: »
    + 1 for being a sorc, a Khajiit and AD all at once :D
    Very nice build indeed, I like the use of Magnum shot, one of my fav bow abilities that is totally underrated atm, probably because it requires some skills to understand where you're going to land :p.

Thanks! It did take a while to figure out how to effectively use magnum shot... but now I can't live without it. And it's extra exciting because I always have 250+ ping, so sometimes it's actually impossible to predict where I'm going to land...
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! I've tried DW/bow on my Khajiit Sorc but just struggled with survivability. Now my sorc isn't v16 and doesn't have vigor or 3 piece agi rings, but I also was trying to rely on steel tornado for finishing kills. That's one of the better bow builds I've seen though kudos to you bro.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great Bowxer. I have theroy crafting about it with DKs and NBs too. The chance of changing from range to CQ without swapping is pretty cool.

And I agree with @Arciris. Magnum shot is great for several reasons (same animation than light attacks, double knockback, high burst dmg).
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Huggalump
    Huggalump
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Great Bowxer. I have theroy crafting about it with DKs and NBs too. The chance of changing from range to CQ without swapping is pretty cool.

And I agree with @Arciris. Magnum shot is great for several reasons (same animation than light attacks, double knockback, high burst dmg).

I'd like to see what bow focused builds on other classes looks like because my only experience is on a sorc and it 100% revolves around critical surge and sorc mobility. I might be able to learn something from seeing how it works with other class limitations.

Thanks for all the comments so far, i'm glad you guys find it as interesting as I do. Also, looking at the first few posts... All khajit players with cat icons hahaha. How cute are we huh?
    Edited by Huggalump on December 17, 2015 2:11PM
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Beta, I used Magnum Shot a lot on my Templar (Khajiit :p ) comboed with Javelin when I really needed some distance. Saved my whiskers countless times and allowed me to solo Skull Bosses that would have been otherwise impossible for a simple Templar!
    I haven't play bow for a while but looking at your video really made me want to try it out again. :)
    And yes, with some lag to the mix, Magnum Shot is a thrill lol
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like your build. I have been experimenting with a bow as a main recently on my stam sorc, however I play as a tank. Do you think a main bow with this build would be as sustainable with lower critical but more dependable sustain and high defense?
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With a NBs is not so hard. I tried something like this sometime ago:

Camo hunter
    Ambush
    Surpise attack
    magnum shot
    acid spray/poison injection

U Incap strike

Quite simple, camo hunter to increase dmg if possible, ambush, SA (Incap strike if possible) at least twice, magnum shot to open the gap and acid spray/poison injection to finish

I failed with the second bar. I didn't decided to go for a ranged build (I didn't want to change weapon) or a AoE one.

With the DK was the opposite, It was a strong AoE in one bar and I couldn't decide what to do in the other

Flames of Oblivion
    Burning Talons (Choking talons for a pure physical build)
    Scorched earth (arrow barrage for pure physical)
    Burning breath (Bombard for pure physical)
    Vigor

U SoM

This one was for PVE. Volley, then talons to keep them in zone, then burning breath or bombard, then talons again. I used it with a Dunmer DK, so most of the build was based on flame dmg. It killed groups of 6 NPC pretty quickly.

I think I'll retake them again. I like to go against the meta...

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Huggalump
    Huggalump
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cathexis wrote: »
    I like your build. I have been experimenting with a bow as a main recently on my stam sorc, however I play as a tank. Do you think a main bow with this build would be as sustainable with lower critical but more dependable sustain and high defense?

The only way to really know is to try it.

But at first glance, I don't think it would work well. Archers want to keep distance. Tanks are designed to go to the front line. It's two totally different objectives.

Also, the high crit is necessary, I think. I'm not running rally and vigor isn't a huge heal, so you need to be getting crits for critical surge ticks.

It might work for running in as a tank and spamming bombard and magnum shot just to cc people, but I don't think it's the best damage option for you.
    Edited by Huggalump on December 17, 2015 10:56PM
  • Huggalump
    Huggalump
    ✭✭✭✭
    I posted a big, juicy write up on Tamriel Foundry for those types interested in big, juicy write ups

http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/2-2-8-dahgs-sorc-archer-pvp-build/
  • Huggalump
    Huggalump
    ✭✭✭✭

Camo hunter
    Ambush
    Surpise attack
    magnum shot

U Incap strike

Quite simple, camo hunter to increase dmg if possible, ambush, SA (Incap strike if possible) at least twice, magnum shot to open the gap and acid spray/poison injection to finish

I failed with the second bar. I didn't decided to go for a ranged build (I didn't want to change weapon) or a AoE one.

With the DK was the opposite, It was a strong AoE in one bar and I couldn't decide what to do in the other

Flames of Oblivion
    Vigor

U SoM

This one was for PVE. Volley, then talons to keep them in zone, then burning breath or bombard, then talons again. I used it with a Dunmer DK, so most of the build was based on flame dmg. It killed groups of 6 NPC pretty quickly.

Something I realized while talking with a buddy... how do you handle Major Brutality with archer builds on other classes?

This is one of the reasons Sorcs make ideal archers. We can get major brutality from Critical Surge, which frees us up to use whatever we want for our off hand. Other classes, I think, are restricted to just 2h or dual wield.
  • budrow
    budrow
    ✭✭✭
    Huggalump wrote: »
    I posted a big, juicy write up on Tamriel Foundry for those types interested in big, juicy write ups

Great write up bro. So i spent about 40k this weekend and took my mag sorc to the dark side and tried out this build. I'm vet16 250cp. I loved it a lot. Imp city sewers were a lot easier to self sustain and solo. Pvp was a blast. Crit surge with focused aim, heavy and magnum shot are amazing. I love the defensive stance. Since I don't have frags now I reflect the castors' so its like I do have them. My crit chance is only at 70, but I do notice that between focused, poison and magnum, I get a crit heal very often. I'm using 5 hundings and 3 night mothers. I'm working on the jewelry. I have a healthy agility necklace with agility sword for max stam. One more piece and ill hit harder with more weapon dmg. Well anyways, thanks for the inspiration and the insight to create this cool archer sorc.
    l PaleAle l
  • Huggalump
    Huggalump
    ✭✭✭✭
    budrow wrote: »

Great write up bro. So i spent about 40k this weekend and took my mag sorc to the dark side and tried out this build. I'm vet16 250cp. I loved it a lot. Imp city sewers were a lot easier to self sustain and solo. Pvp was a blast. Crit surge with focused aim, heavy and magnum shot are amazing. I love the defensive stance. Since I don't have frags now I reflect the castors' so its like I do have them. My crit chance is only at 70, but I do notice that between focused, poison and magnum, I get a crit heal very often. I'm using 5 hundings and 3 night mothers. I'm working on the jewelry. I have a healthy agility necklace with agility sword for max stam. One more piece and ill hit harder with more weapon dmg. Well anyways, thanks for the inspiration and the insight to create this cool archer sorc.

Wow, that's some investment. Thanks for the comment, I love hearing stuff like this. It seems like this build resonates with a lot of people because it's a playstyle that exists in most games but is absent from the current ESO meta.

I hope it works well for you...after all the gold... Let me know how it's going or if you have any questions.

Also, I just posted a second pvp video that shows more of how it's played :3

Edited by Huggalump on December 24, 2015 1:39AM
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Camo hunter
    Ambush
    Surpise attack
    magnum shot

U Incap strike

Flames of Oblivion
    Vigor

U SoM

Something I realized while talking with a buddy... how do you handle Major Brutality with archer builds on other classes?

This is one of the reasons Sorcs make ideal archers. We can get major brutality from Critical Surge, which frees us up to use whatever we want for our off hand. Other classes, I think, are restricted to just 2h or dual wield.

NBs can get it from drain power, although I don't think it is necessary having the stealth bonus and grim focus. Besides that, Ambush gives you empower so you can fight close quarter

I've been working on my NB. Currently I use Heavy attack, ambush, surprise attack, magnum shot. Also it is worth trying Snipe/lethal arrow, light attack, ambush, SA and magnum, though I don't like to use 4 offensive skills in my bar (need blur a lot and some healing) and I like both, SA and magnum (and heavy attack + Ambush from stealth are brutal)

Dks are a whole different story due to Molten Armaments. It is not a great skill except for bows and maybe staves (though there are some guys who have make it work with 2h). 40% extra dmg fo a fully charged heavy + 150% extra bonus against enemies under 50% health is nice if you know how to use it. So, I've been theory crafting something like this:

1- Vigor (healing)
    2- MA
    3- Snipe/Poison injection
    4- Stone Giant/Emp chain
    5- Magnum/something
    U Dragon leap

So MA to buff heavy then:

1- Heavy + poison injection+ Emp chains, magnum, poison injection
    2- Snipe + light attack + stone giant + Heavy attack (under 50% health gets the bonus)

The second option does not need to use magnum, so camo hunter or flames of oblivion can be sloted to get major savagery (DKs lack of critical is... critical xD) and stone giant can put an enemy out of combat the time you need to charge a fully heavy attack.

But that's theory. For the moment I'll try to finish my NB, then I'll use my fail DK to try something... again xD
    Edited by Xvorg on December 24, 2015 7:43PM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Huggalump
    Huggalump
    ✭✭✭✭
    Updated the OP for thieves guild.
  • budrow
    budrow
    ✭✭✭
    Great update video.
    So for an update to my build. My first sorc went back to magic and since dark brotherhood dlc and vet levels removed, I'm quickly gaining more and more max characters, so I now have a Redguard sorc.
    Great point you made about lethal Arrow and poison damage being included in mighty. I've done that and also wear 5pc Marksman (gold chest and guards and jewelry) and with db dlc, 5pc gladiator. The gladiator sets works great with that Hawk eye passive and gets us back crit. Check it out. Light and heavy attacks become executed for low health targets now.
    You could also continue to use hundings rage with marksman as longs as you grab the jewelry which is something I was considering.
    Have you thought about that alchemy set?
    What have you done since change to crit surge. I went back to rally. Do you like hurricane which procs surge? I didn't like it open battlefield but cqb, hell yeah.
    l PaleAle l
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why can't I see what level your enemies are at?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds