The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Best Race/Class Combos for PVP

• zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »
    zornyan wrote: »
    AfkNinja wrote: »
    @Strider_Roshin @zornyan

It's time for fiiiiiiight club! First rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club. Record this duel so we can all watch the lols.

Best 2 out of 3 wins, get it dooooooone!

Lol sure I can spare 30 seconds of my day. Do you have a PS4 Zorn? Or are we limited to trash talking?

Awwwwwwwwwww yea, it's peanut butter jelly time! I mean Fight club time! (I'm pretty sure Zornan is PC tho)

Can players even animation cancelhack on the consules?

I do, (with thew very few skills that Temps have that can be animation cancelled) but generally no. I think there's a lot more casuals on console, lots more people running around with inadequate gear etc.

Hell I've had dozens of people say the never used a nirnhoned sword as a magicka build, or alot don't even have vr16 gear etc

Yea I figured it was because lack of knowledge by the player base than a limitation set by ZOS.

Part of me feels ZOS doesn't animation cancel when testing, so while on PC we exploit and notice certain racial passives stronger than others, we miss out on the fact the game probably is working as intended if you let the cast times/animations play out.

Pretty much, I've made some really really good and smart friends on ps4, and some of them are amazing gamers, but tbh the biggest hindrance is the hardware of consoles, you don't notice it until you play on pc, but console is SLOW , reaction times, input times, even the constant sub 30 fps makes the whole thing look and feel very slow.

I've noticed pvp much faster paced, especially with keyboard and more keybinds at my command, although I must admit I'm using a xbox 360 controller, still getting used to keyboard again lol.

The single biggest issue is text chat imo, no one is talking to one another on there, and lots of people haven't ever spoken to anybody and don't use the forums so don't have a clue about builds.

It took me literally 3 days to find a group to attempt a silver key, it was painstakingly hard, even with voice chat, turns our the tank didn't know how taunts worked lol, and the dps , well let's say their dps wouldn't have been more than 10k at best.

On pc I've done gold keys every day, with random groups just by saying LFG in zpne, had zero issues, no wipes just gone in ans done it, we all knew what we were doing, if a tank needed more stam management he would just ask me (healer) for it, dps would do their best and compare numbers from FTC etc.

It's just so so so much more organised.
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Strider_Roshin @zornyan

It's time for fiiiiiiight club! First rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club. Record this duel so we can all watch the lols.

Lol sure I can spare 30 seconds of my day. Do you have a PS4 Zorn? Or are we limited to trash talking?

Awwwwwwwwwww yea, it's peanut butter jelly time! I mean Fight club time! (I'm pretty sure Zornan is PC tho)

I do, (with thew very few skills that Temps have that can be animation cancelled) but generally no. I think there's a lot more casuals on console, lots more people running around with inadequate gear etc.

Hell I've had dozens of people say the never used a nirnhoned sword as a magicka build, or alot don't even have vr16 gear etc

Yea I figured it was because lack of knowledge by the player base than a limitation set by ZOS.

Part of me feels ZOS doesn't animation cancel when testing, so while on PC we exploit and notice certain racial passives stronger than others, we miss out on the fact the game probably is working as intended if you let the cast times/animations play out.

Yea but players will naturally look for advantages and use them, if they balance around no animation canceling they should remove animation canceling. Otherwise they need to start balancing with animation canceling in mind.
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Strider_Roshin @zornyan

Yea but players will naturally look for advantages and use them, if they balance around no animation canceling they should remove animation canceling. Otherwise they need to start balancing with animation canceling in mind.

Agreed, it's kinds stupid atm. For instance wrecking blow vs
    Both have 1.1 sec cast time.

Yet, wrecking blow can be animation cancelled, jabs cant.

Do wrecking blow I can

Light attack, wrecking blow, medium weave, suprise attack

All that in the same time it takes to channel jabs.
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Strider_Roshin @zornyan

Not disbuting that lol.
    We just need to weigh the damages of letting AC stay or playing with heavy GCD's.

It's at that point, ZOS wishes they implemented spell crafting.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Rylana
    Rylana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have it on good authority that Argonian Magicka Dragonknight Tank is the current meta.
    @rylanadionysis == Closed Beta Tester October 2013 == Retired October 2016 == Uninstalled @ One Tamriel Release == Inactive Indefinitely
    Ebonheart Pact: Lyzara Dionysis - Sorc - AR 37 (Former Empress of Blackwater Blade and Haderus) == Shondra Dionysis - Temp - AR 23 == Arrianaya Dionysis - DK - AR 17
    Aldmeri Dominion: Rylana Dionysis - DK - AR 25 == Kailiana - NB - AR 21 == Minerva Dionysis - Temp - AR 21 == Victoria Dionysis - Sorc - AR 13
    Daggerfall Covenant: Dannika Dionysis - DK - AR 21 == The Catman Rises - Temp - AR 15 (Former Emperor of Blackwater Blade)
    Forum LOL Champion (retired) == Black Belt in Ballista-Fu == The Last Vice Member == Praise Cheesus == Electro-Goblin
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rylana wrote: »
    I have it on good authority that Argonian Magicka Dragonknight Tank is the current meta.

tumblr_m79rxlDpeX1qg8i80o1_1280.jpg
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • AfkNinja
    AfkNinja
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Prepare to get rekt!!
  • Blud
    Blud
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I proud that this is in a thread that I started.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @zornyan

I have played this game on PC, trust me I know the difference. I did all three beta tests for the beta (I could have a monkey if I wanted to ;-) )

I know there's a difference in speed. I wouldn't call console sluggish; I actually find it to be smoother. As far as graphics; not that much a difference; to be honest you only notice the difference when you go in first person and look at close objects.

You and I have very different experiences though when it comes to undaunted pledges. For one, I have a guild so I can grab from there. Also when we're short; mournhold is flooded with people. Also LFG works perfect. Every time I use it I find someone in less than a minute.

Text chat on the computer: hate it! I personally don't like to see garbage flooding my screen; which is my gripe about addons as well. I also hate the fact that on PC I would feel forced to use them or else I'll be at a disadvantage. Another thing, I can't stand using the keyboard, and I'm not a fan of the xbone controller.

I honestly prefer console in every way except for TWO situations that drive me nuts.

1) You can't weapon swap in the middle of a dodge roll on console. This infuriates me.
    2) Light attack animation canceling with surprise attack isn't as smooth as it is on PC. On PC it's flawless, on console a slight delay is required.

One final point is that I would like some kind of a display for my damage and healing numbers, but I honestly can't stand the WOW UI that addons give on PC, and I really hope they make it look smooth on console when they release it.

I have been with this game since the beginning zorn. I remember when stam builds were garbage, I remember when DKs were invincible, and I remember when Nightblades were a joke.

And though I may not have addons to tell me the damage I'm doing, I'm no idiot. You have to take calculus when you acquire your bachelor's in biomedical sciences. I can math lol
  • Swampfox
    Swampfox
    ✭✭
    A lot of you are underestimating the skill required to play your chosen class

While i agree that some race / class can be deemed poor choices there is too may players more concerned at this that playing and mastering the actual game

While there is only 4 Classes you need to consider there are actually 8 because of the choice between Magicka and Stamina Builds

This isn't an easy MMO to master

Without even playing the game you sure need to be able to use good keyboard and mouse technique (or whatever you use)

Best time to learn that is from the beginning as it can be really hard to break already formed bad habits

PVE is a little bit more forgiving as your basically learning the same scenario over and over to overcome the content

The AI is always predictable after several times fighting the same mob

You need to learn the mechanics on every class especially if your going to be entering PVP

Learning is quite a steep curve as you need to recognize what is against you, not only what you can dish out

Players play differently than a computer controlled mob

Most MMO,s i have played do require some anticipation on your part to enable you to get the edge in a close fight

Learning to recognize what the other player is in the act of doing is a major part of developing your strategy

ESO is no different so whatever you choose you need to simply PLAY and LEARN by what works and what doesn't against all

Its not a fluke that the very best players started at the beginning and chose to get better with some hard work

I think everyone has a favourite class/race combo and have learnt by doing even if it is not an ideal combo

At the moment a Altmer Magick Sorc and Bosmer Stamina Nightblade seem to be the majority choices

Imperial is probably the most balanced Race however

I would put my money on a great player with mediocre gear and race/ class combo winning over a mediocre one who has the ideal race class with best in slot gear any day of the week

It all boils down to how good you want to be and are willing to do the hard yards to achieve getting somewhere close

I bet the majority of the best players have played them ALL

My 2 Cents
    Edited by Swampfox on December 5, 2015 3:09PM
    Swampfox

GM of OWL
    owlwolflegion.com
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zornyan

I have played this game on PC, trust me I know the difference. I did all three beta tests for the beta (I could have a monkey if I wanted to ;-) )

I know there's a difference in speed. I wouldn't call console sluggish; I actually find it to be smoother. As far as graphics; not that much a difference; to be honest you only notice the difference when you go in first person and look at close objects.

You and I have very different experiences though when it comes to undaunted pledges. For one, I have a guild so I can grab from there. Also when we're short; mournhold is flooded with people. Also LFG works perfect. Every time I use it I find someone in less than a minute.

Text chat on the computer: hate it! I personally don't like to see garbage flooding my screen; which is my gripe about addons as well. I also hate the fact that on PC I would feel forced to use them or else I'll be at a disadvantage. Another thing, I can't stand using the keyboard, and I'm not a fan of the xbone controller.

I honestly prefer console in every way except for TWO situations that drive me nuts.

1) You can't weapon swap in the middle of a dodge roll on console. This infuriates me.
    2) Light attack animation canceling with surprise attack isn't as smooth as it is on PC. On PC it's flawless, on console a slight delay is required.

One final point is that I would like some kind of a display for my damage and healing numbers, but I honestly can't stand the WOW UI that addons give on PC, and I really hope they make it look smooth on console when they release it.

I have been with this game since the beginning zorn. I remember when stam builds were garbage, I remember when DKs were invincible, and I remember when Nightblades were a joke.

And though I may not have addons to tell me the damage I'm doing, I'm no idiot. You have to take calculus when you acquire your bachelor's in biomedical sciences. I can math lol

A few points

Graphical detail there is a massive difference, view distance, small details, textures, rays from sunlight etc.

30 vs 60 fps, I really struggle to enjoy 30fps now, I use a 1440p tv and my games in pc look breath taking, games like eso look really really good, on console it looks much duller and I can't stand the stupid fog they use to reduce view distance, everywhere is bloody foggy!

30fps just looks constantly laggy to me, it doesn't feel smooth, I'm not being a snob, I just genuinely can't stand it anymore, I love playing games at a smooth 60 (or some 100+) fps as its as smooth as butter, but I have spent alot of my rig for gaming.

Text chat is essential in any mmo, on ps4 I am a member of 4 500 member guilds, although there's a good 100+ online each time, I cannot communicate with ANYONE in these guilds, the voice chats are empty, so tell me how do I group up with these people when I can't even say hello?

Also with pugs = no chat, there's no communication on tactics, we were doing WGT the other day, I was healing and the tank was only vr6 at it was vr 16 (not group finder, I spent 2 hours at wayrest undaunted enclave to find them in peak hours) so I had to try really hard to keep the tank alive.

I entered voice chat (the others wernt talking or using headsets) and said "guys if I go in the cage I need to keep healing the tank as much as possible, can on of the two nb dps please pick the lock so I can maintain heals on the tank"

Guest what, I got put in the cage, I kept healing, and saying "guys can someone pick the lock, and try to move near the cage to stay withing range of my heals" what happened? Nothing. They actually moved away and out of range, no one came so I picked it myself, by the time I was done all 3 had died.

There's NO communication between groups

On the flip side I went to wayrest couple nights ago for vet spindle gold key, just as we got to the boss one of the guys said "hey guys just remember no aoes near the boss to prevent innocents dying for gold requirement " a quick "ok" from us and the whole thing went smoothly.

It's great LFG finds you groups in a minute, but I have yet to do ICP when I have been coupled with level 13 tanks and level 20 dps'ers.

You can math till the cows come home, but in reality you have no idea what actual damage you are doing, you can't calculate enmies resistances, cp points, attributes, buffs, you don't know if that hit you just done was a crit or not.

So you may have played on pc, but alot has changed and keeps changing, so the information you had from then is probably outdated.
  • Blud
    Blud
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Swampfox

Great post.

I would agree that player skill/knowledge trumps other factors in this game. (This was true in Darkfall as well.) That's one of the reasons I enjoy ESO pvp, even though I'm not a great pvper. I enjoy knowing that if I play more more I will get better. I also know that when I lose, the other was better than me, so I should learn from the experience.

Of course, all things being equal, gear and other factors like race could then matter. But all things rarely are equal.

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blud wrote: »
    @Swampfox

Great post.

I would agree that player skill/knowledge trumps other factors in this game. (This was true in Darkfall as well.) That's one of the reasons I enjoy ESO pvp, even though I'm not a great pvper. I enjoy knowing that if I play more more I will get better. I also know that when I lose, the other was better than me, so I should learn from the experience.

Of course, all things being equal, gear and other factors like race could then matter. But all things rarely are equal.

Let's face it, we all love this game. It's so complex, it hurts. Having friends in game makes it easier. Stay frosty.
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual