Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Having A Rough Time

Breidr
Breidr
I've decided on a main character and begun digging into quests, but it's a little rougher than I expected. I'm currently level 7, and many quests I encounter can only be completed if I wait for others on the same quest. The Nix-Hound in particular was very troublesome.

It's hard for me to determine what is causing my problems,, and what I can do to alleviate all the dying.

Does it stem from race/class choices? I'm currently a Nord Dragon Knight
Would another class suit someone of my ineptitude? I was going for the "fighter" style, so I was leaning towards a Dragon Knight or Templar. Dragon Knight seemed to suit Nords more. Does race help at all in this case?

Are my attribute points assigned in a bad manner? I've split them between Stamina and Health

Is it a lack of mechanical understanding exclusive of character choice? It's really hard for me to nail something down.

This is a great game and I'm enjoying my time, and I want to continue adventuring, but I can't do much when I'm dead! :p
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What server and alliance are you in?
    I went through same thing, took a while experimenting, seeing what I liked and joining others in quests.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry too much - DK can be a little rough around the edges at low levels because you won't have access to many abilities. When you look at something like a Nightblade, they get some great skills right out of the box.
    Nord DK is a perfect choice if you're wanting to get up in enemies faces and tank them with your health regen and 6% mitigation.
    Around rank 20 in your skill trees you'll begin unlocking some more useful abilities and further gauge if it's the route you want to take. I think level 7 will be a bit hard to determine.
  • Travestynox
    Travestynox
    ✭✭✭
    Hi and welcome to ESO!

If you're completely new to the game, I'd say watch some youtube videos on how to do basic combat. I had that problem when I started out, rushing into things without knowing how the basic flow of combat works. Knowing how and when to blcok, interrupt, do light and heavy attacks, weave and all that is important.
    I learnt a lot from this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH23TgNbt1o
    Also, some of the guides out there are nice in the way they detail which skills you should be using as you level up, and when to quit them and start using others.

As far as I can tell, any race/class combo is okay for having fun in PvE, it's if you are min maxing and / or want to be a succesful PvP'er that you should really look at what race is 'best' for which class.

Have fun in game!
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's hard to give specific advice without knowing what skills you are using, but I can guess what you have access to based on your level. As others have said if you are new it will take time to get used to combat. One thing to keep in mind: right now, all you have are magicka-based skills from your class trees (Ardent Flame, Draconic Power, Earthen Heart). As you morph class skills some will have stamina options, but that doesn't apply for now.

That doesn't mean you change to a magicka build, but rather, make sure you have at least one spammable skill from either two-handed, dual wield, one hand + shield board, or bow, since those abilities use stamina. Not sure which weapon you are using. For a new player with a Nord DK I would suggest two-handed or one hand + shield. Two Handed would increase your weapon damage, but one hand + shield means you take less damage, which might help you out if you are feeling squishy. On the other hand you can get a damage shield fairly quickly with Two Handed while still dishing out the damage.

At your level, then, good bars easy to unlock:

Fiery Chains (Ardent Flame skill line) - Stonefist (Earthen Heart skill line) - Spiked Armor (Draconic Power skill line) - Cleave (Two Handed skill line) - Puncture (One Hand+Shield skill line)

Having something from each class skill line on your bar, even if you don't use one, helps that skill and the skill line itself, level up. Same for weapon skill lines. I would recommend having a Two Handed weapon and use lots of Cleave against groups of 2-3 mobs. Keep up Spiked Armor (only needs to be recast every 20 seconds), and use Stonefist to knock an enemy down when you are overwhelmed.

After using Cleave a bit you will level it up and you can morph it into Brawler, which gives you a damage shield when you activate it. So with that and Spiked Armor, you will be doing much better.

As you level up skill lines you can then add in new abilities that seem like they would help you out (DKs get much, much stronger as they level up), and at level 15 you can add a second weapon to swap to and get another skill bar to put abilities in.
    Edited by tinythinker on December 4, 2015 4:00PM
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Saint314Louis1985
    Saint314Louis1985
    ✭✭✭
    nord dk is pretty good. use two handed, nords have increase skill exp gained with a 2H sword and you will unlock better dmg skills faster.

low levels for a dk are pretty tough. like the other people have said, once you unlock better skills and get used to the combat, it gets alot easier.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DK was pretty rough at low levels, but you catch up.

Get someone to craft you some good set armor and it will help a lot. Also food to increase whichever stat you are having the most trouble with.