Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Problems logging ticket via help.elderscrollsonline.com on a Mac. "Select a subcategory" not working

Enigmatic
Enigmatic
✭✭✭
I don't raise too many tickets but when I do I really seem to have issues with the help.elderscrollsonline.com website, specifically when it comes to the "Select a subcategory" section of the form.

In Chrome, this field simply doesn't work so I have had to revert to Safari. In the past, this browser has worked but now when I try to raise a new ticket the category information simply will not populate and I getting:

"There was an error with the request and the action could not be completed."

This happens when I try to expand the Technical Support sub category. If I try to expand others, I get an animation but no response.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you expect? They can't even fix the bug reporting feature inside their own game, let alone any external reporting tools. I'm sorry, but the fact that ZOS broke their own in-game bug reporting tool and has been unable or unwilling to fix it has to be one of the worst customer service and technical support SNAFU's that I've ever seen for any game or any other product sold.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Pomaikai wrote: »
    What do you expect? They can't even fix the bug reporting feature inside their own game, let alone any external reporting tools. I'm sorry, but the fact that ZOS broke their own in-game bug reporting tool and has been unable or unwilling to fix it has to be one of the worst customer service and technical support SNAFU's that I've ever seen for any game or any other product sold.
    Or, it's a third party library that broke down because of incompatibilities introduced in OS X 10.10, and they can't just replace it because it's cross-platform and still works on Windows, and licensing another or writing one from scratch would entail major work and possibly UI tweaks, which no-one has the time for doing anyway, because they're working full throttle on a 64-bit client they're going to release sometime next quarter -- which might likely come with an overhauled and working help system, because shipping a new client without one wouldn't make sense.

But that's just my take on things. ;)

• Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or, it's a third party library that broke down because of incompatibilities introduced in OS X 10.10, and they can't just replace it because it's cross-platform and still works on Windows, and licensing another or writing one from scratch would entail major work and possibly UI tweaks, which no-one has the time for doing anyway, because they're working full throttle on a 64-bit client they're going to release sometime next quarter -- which might likely come with an overhauled and working help system, because shipping a new client without one wouldn't make sense.

And I'd normally be inclined to believe you, until you take into account their very own broken and never fixed in-game bug reporting tool.
  • Enigmatic
    Enigmatic
    ✭✭✭

Didn't realise it was a third party library thing. Can work around it by just using a PC when and if needed. I don't raise that many tickets as it is.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And I'd normally be inclined to believe you, until you take into account their very own broken and never fixed in-game bug reporting tool.

Um, this is about the in-game reporting UI. Just read the thread I've linked.

Edit: to clarify, the in-game bug reporting UI relies on a 3rd-party HTML rendering library to display its pages (thus acting as a "browser") within the game's UI. This is the part that broke due to incompatibility with OS X 10.10 and later versions. Replacing it would entail finding and licensing another product with the same capabilities (cross-platform is a must), and then fitting it into the existing UI, and vice versa. But with the commitment to go 64-bit with the client (very probably decided many months ago), which would mean switching to compatible third party libraries anyway (in game development, there are a lot), the reasoning very likely was to stop riding a dead horse and focus energy on the next thing.
    Edited by KhajitFurTrader on December 2, 2015 8:35AM