Why Is A Group Finder Like This Impossible?

Sharkano
Sharkano
✭✭✭✭
I have played games where there is just a simple Board you can access under a grouping icon where the leader posts something like "Need VR16 temp healer for Fungal." Then all you do is hit a button and leader invites you (if they want you). Can this be so friggin hard to code, letting a grp. leader type text that tells what he/she needs? People instinctively self-create this simple system when the gamemakers fail at a grouping tool, a la Stormhaven now (which makes you have to camp there, which an overall Board would eliminate). Why do we have who knows how many bizarre and failed attempts at some complicated grouping system? I really think there is a failure to recognize the old maxim, "Keep it simple, stupid."
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was placed in a group with all VR (I'm lvl 49) and could not teleport to the other players or the dungeon.
    I thought it was supposed to scale everyone.
    If it does then why did it not if it don't then why place me in a group i cannot play with?

The chat is so full of LFG it hard to follow who's & what's a working group tool would be nice, OR a LFG only section of chat.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Miszou
    Miszou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In every game I've ever played, the failing of the LFG tool can be summarized:

"No-one ever eats at this restaurant because it's always too crowded".

Of course, the tools need to be useful and functional, but at some point you just have to blame the players for not using the tools they're given, preferring to spam zone chat with requests and making the tools less useful each time they do so.
  • ontheleftcoast
    ontheleftcoast
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The players are *NOT* the problem. On my healer (VR12) I've sat an hour waiting for a group to run pledges. When I finally get grouped it's with two level 20 somethings and a VR1. How are the level 20's getting undaunted pledge runs? Oh, wait, THEY'RE NOT! But I can't specify "pledge run" in the tool. I can't group for world bosses. I can't queue for more than one dungeon at a time. I can't do tons of useful things that should be a bare *MINIMUM* in a grouping tool. Don't hate the players, hate the game tool.
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main issue I see is this....

The group tool lets you choose separately (a) or (b)

a. Dungeons - Which include veterans and non-veterans
    and
    b. Veteran Dungeons - which is only veterans

The problem is that (a) matches both Veterans and Non-veterans, then the group leader can change the level from normal to veteran. This should not be allowed to happen, veterans have an entirely separate section in the tool if they want veteran dungeons.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharkano wrote: »
    I have played games where there is just a simple Board you can access under a grouping icon where the leader posts something like "Need VR16 temp healer for Fungal." Then all you do is hit a button and leader invites you (if they want you). Can this be so friggin hard to code, letting a grp. leader type text that tells what he/she needs? People instinctively self-create this simple system when the gamemakers fail at a grouping tool, a la Stormhaven now (which makes you have to camp there, which an overall Board would eliminate). Why do we have who knows how many bizarre and failed attempts at some complicated grouping system? I really think there is a failure to recognize the old maxim, "Keep it simple, stupid."

It is simple...hit menu, select group and choose group queue....it finds group and you port over.

Other people from day one and now go to a town or an area on PC and use text chat. Click their name and invite them....
    on console, use voice chat, go and invite them from the voice recent interactions

OR
    http://www.esotulfg.com in my sig or use the social features on your console.

Its pretty basic if you're aware of the options
    Edited by NewBlacksmurf on November 30, 2015 10:56PM
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    majulook wrote: »
    The main issue I see is this....

The group tool lets you choose separately (a) or (b)

a. Dungeons - Which include veterans and non-veterans
    and
    b. Veteran Dungeons - which is only veterans

The problem is that (a) matches both Veterans and Non-veterans, then the group leader can change the level from normal to veteran. This should not be allowed to happen, veterans have an entirely separate section in the tool if they want veteran dungeons.
    Actually, the group leader can't change the level of a dungeon from normal to Veteran for a group formed through the LFG tool. If you have a good group and want to keep it together for the other Pledge, you have to jump through a series of hoops to do so:

1) Have one group member leave.
    2) Cancel the LFG tool's auto-replacement feature.
    3) Go back into the LFG tool and search for the new dungeon level. Cancel after a few seconds.
    4) Pass lead to a group member of the same Alliance as the one who left.
    5) Invite the old group member back.

It's actually a right pain in the backside!

Roll on proper cross-Alliance grouping. Then those of us who want to play with our favourite characters and our friends from our Guilds can do so, without having to take up space in the LFG tool designed for people who genuinely don't have a group.
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 1900+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1200+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50