Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

question about 64 bit client.

vladimilianoub17_ESO1
vladimilianoub17_ESO1
✭✭✭✭
Just how using a 64 bit client will improve my gaming? will it run the game more smoothly?I have a 64 bit OS btw,so thats why I am interested in this change.Thanks for the responses in advance.

Best Answers

• Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭
    One of the biggest differences is that it allows the software to use allot more Memory, theoretically this could/should lead to performance increases across the board in the game.
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.
    Answer ✓
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 85% of PC users have a 64 bit capable system based on the numbers in the Steam Hardware Survey (about as good an estimate as you will find I believe).

ESO is a 32-bit process, which means a maximum of 4 GB of addressable memory. A 64 bit client can "technically" address 18 billion GB.

So it can help, as long as you have the extra memory to make it work, and the game is coded to take advantage of your extra system memory. You can load more, leave it in memory for longer, and have less fear of running out of memory. Any time you can load less often from the hard drive (even an SSD), the better.

However, in order for it to work with ESO, ZoS would have to do so much to the game, and probably raise the minimum requirements for the 64 bit client, otherwise it would be pointless. They would also have to maintain the 32-bit version, since there are many people who bought the game who would suddenly be unable to play.

In the end, it's costs are too high for the benefit I think.
    Answer ✓
  • Trihugger
    Trihugger
    ✭✭✭
    a 64-bit client would be a godsend. If anyone has played Skyrim and used the patch to make it use more than the piddly amount of RAM it was coded to be able to ... the difference was overwhelming.

As far as a cost/return perspective, they do not need to code EVERYTHING to be 64-bit. Just a few things such as graphical effects and heavy bandwidth things of that nature would need to have a separate process for a new client. Probably very similar to WoW did years ago when they made their optional 64-bit client.

Quite frankly though, it's almost 2016. This isn't the monster Windows Vista was and their 64-bit OS. This game and any other game out there is LONG overdue for a modern 64-bit client. And yes I saw in the reddit that Q1 is the planned release of it.
    Answer ✓
  • stewart.leslie76b16_ESO
    It's more to do with memory management and how much data your o/s can write to the memory. A 32 bit o/s can only write data that is 32 bits long to memory, obviously a 64 bit o/s has double the capacity. The problem with running a 32 bit application on a 64 bit o/s is that the o/s will automatically make the length of the data 64 bits long so it is taking up more space without actually using it.

If ESO was to release a 64 bit client, there would be a noticeable change within the game. The client would be able to make full use of your systems resources. This could mean a reduction in lag and load times as well has having more objects on your screen. Those running mid range desktop/ gaming laptop systems may seem some change, but the biggest winners would be those on lower end desktops/laptops as the o/s can make more use of the system RAM.
    I, as a loyal member of the Foamy Cult, do solemnly swear to live a logical life free of stupidity, ignorance and all round jack assery. I shall do my best to enlighten those in need of Squirrelly Wisdom in hope of one day ridding the world of human idiocy. This I swear.
    Answer ✓
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's more to do with memory management and how much data your o/s can write to the memory. A 32 bit o/s can only write data that is 32 bits long to memory, obviously a 64 bit o/s has double the capacity. The problem with running a 32 bit application on a 64 bit o/s is that the o/s will automatically make the length of the data 64 bits long so it is taking up more space without actually using it.

If ESO was to release a 64 bit client, there would be a noticeable change within the game. The client would be able to make full use of your systems resources. This could mean a reduction in lag and load times as well has having more objects on your screen. Those running mid range desktop/ gaming laptop systems may seem some change, but the biggest winners would be those on lower end desktops/laptops as the o/s can make more use of the system RAM.

There is a lot wrong with your post factually.

1. 64-bit can use 2 to the power of 64 memory, 32 can use 2 to the power of 32. It is way more than double.
    2. 64-bit OS does NOT "automatically make the length of the data 64-bits" whatever this is suppose to mean.
    3. The biggest winners would NOT be low end systems, it would be high-end systems with lots of RAM.
    Answer ✓
  • MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @danno8 @Elder_III @Trihugger @vladimilianoub17_ESO1
    "64 Bit client is planned for the Q1 Update (i.e. the next big one). Mac users will see dramatic performance increase when we do this, as well as 64-but windows users. My main gaming machine is Windows, but I'm on the road enough with my Macbook Pro 13 retina that I definitely know what you are talking about." ~ Matt Firor, today

https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3thlqh/welcome_to_the_elder_scrolls_online_orsinium_aua/cx68eid
    Edited by MisterBigglesworth on November 20, 2015 2:48AM
    Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
    Answer ✓
    danno8 wrote: »

1. 64-bit can use 2 to the power of 64 memory, 32 can use 2 to the power of 32. It is way more than double.
    2. 64-bit OS does NOT "automatically make the length of the data 64-bits" whatever this is suppose to mean.
    3. The biggest winners would NOT be low end systems, it would be high-end systems with lots of RAM.

Do you write code? Because I did. When you declare your variables and constants you are stating the length of that data (example Dim result as integer). However what the o/s does is automatically assign memory length allocation to 32 bit for 32 bit o/s and 64 bit for 64 bit o/s. You can declare your variable as boolean which is only 1 bit, but the o/s has reserved 32/64 bit for it. I described it in layman terms, it's pointless go technical. However, if you do write code, no doubt you've seen just like myself some very poorly written code where memory management was not even considered. An o/s does a lot of things to make sure even poorly written applications are able to run. The length I mentioned was the physical length of the data. but yes, the size of the data held is far greater as you state.

As for you 3rd point. I don't think they would notice a change at all. For me high end is liquid cooled, dual graphic cards (seen a few websites offering triple), SSD, enough RAM to hold the FBI database, basically a system that most on minimum wage will never see. I know a few with systems like that in game and they are running at 70-80 fps, latency around 110 mark.

Now I'm running a 64 bit o/s with on board graphics card and 4GB of RAM. When running the game I'm using 3.6 GB of RAM. Now I can double my RAM but I won't see any improvement. But, with a 64 bit client and myself doubling the RAM I would see a massive improvement mainly in the time it takes to render the image on my screen (not sure what it is, but for some reason it takes a while for a catapult to appear on my screen, all other siege no problems). But everyone is entitled to their own theory until it is contested and proven. RAM prices are dirt cheap atm, so even low end machines can have a lot of RAM.

I will state though that everything I've been taught and worked on is on Microsoft base systems, I do believe Linux and OSX handle memory differently
    Edited by stewart.leslie76b16_ESO on November 20, 2015 3:27AM
    I, as a loyal member of the Foamy Cult, do solemnly swear to live a logical life free of stupidity, ignorance and all round jack assery. I shall do my best to enlighten those in need of Squirrelly Wisdom in hope of one day ridding the world of human idiocy. This I swear.
    Answer ✓
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Do you write code? Because I did. When you declare your variables and constants you are stating the length of that data (example Dim result as integer). However what the o/s does is automatically assign memory length allocation to 32 bit for 32 bit o/s and 64 bit for 64 bit o/s. You can declare your variable as boolean which is only 1 bit, but the o/s has reserved 32/64 bit for it. I described it in layman terms, it's pointless go technical. However, if you do write code, no doubt you've seen just like myself some very poorly written code where memory management was not even considered. An o/s does a lot of things to make sure even poorly written applications are able to run. The length I mentioned was the physical length of the data. but yes, the size of the data held is far greater as you state.

As for you 3rd point. I don't think they would notice a change at all. For me high end is liquid cooled, dual graphic cards (seen a few websites offering triple), SSD, enough RAM to hold the FBI database, basically a system that most on minimum wage will never see. I know a few with systems like that in game and they are running at 70-80 fps, latency around 110 mark.

Now I'm running a 64 bit o/s with on board graphics card and 4GB of RAM. When running the game I'm using 3.6 GB of RAM. Now I can double my RAM but I won't see any improvement. But, with a 64 bit client and myself doubling the RAM I would see a massive improvement mainly in the time it takes to render the image on my screen (not sure what it is, but for some reason it takes a while for a catapult to appear on my screen, all other siege no problems). But everyone is entitled to their own theory until it is contested and proven. RAM prices are dirt cheap atm, so even low end machines can have a lot of RAM.

I will state though that everything I've been taught and worked on is on Microsoft base systems, I do believe Linux and OSX handle memory differently

The way you wrote it out you makes it sound like a 32 bit program running on a 64 bit machine will use twice the space, but that is not the case, obviously. It will use a bit more due to system memory management, but not a whole lot. Otherwise system requirements would need to be double the RAM for a 64-bit OS.

And yes, if you double your RAM, and get a 64 bit client you will see a difference, but if you get a 64 bit client but do not double your RAM (and only have 4GB as your example) then you probably won't see any difference. That's why I said it will benefit high end machines more. But maybe I misunderstood, and you mean low-end machines will see a bigger potential benefit alongside an upgrade than a machine that already has plenty of RAM.

Anyway, I am glad to be wrong on the cost/benefit analysis, as I see Misterbigglesworth's post about the reddit AMA.
    Edited by danno8 on November 20, 2015 4:38AM
    Answer ✓
    @danno8 Yeah, I could have worded it better, but I was force fed memory management and the .Net framework via cdrom tutorials spoken by a woman that had no interest in the subject. I think it was Bill Gates wife.

At the moment it's theoretical debate, but it looks like we get to play with a 64 bit client soon. Will be interesting to see what happens. I just hope the add ons I use still work.
    Answer ✓
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a side note it looks like GW2 just released a 64-bit client a couple weeks ago. If you want to read the FAQ it's here and explains the benefits you would like see in ESO also.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/support/64-bit-Client-Beta-FAQ/first
    Answer ✓
  • Rexlupis
    Rexlupis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has really mentioned how a 64 bit executable will allow ESO to access all of our processor cores instead of just one. There is a massive bottleneck in ESO since it only uses one core, and, from my testing and viewing performance and usage logs, it seems like a lot of the frame-drops are caused by the fact that the single core is completely over-stressed, sitting at around 90% capacity most of the time and reaching 100% capacity often (this is on a i7 4770k running at 4.2ghz, water cooled and overclocked). The result is the CPU becomes a bottle neck as it has to wait to do the next instruction when it hits 100% load on a single core instead of running multiple instructions in parallel simultaneously. This would be a MASSIVE improvement to the performance of the game and would likely also allow those of us with good GPU's to actually utilize their performance (as it stands, I can't maintain 60 FPS on a 780ti water-cooled and overclocked to 1150 mhz while the GPU usually does not go above 60% load...)

Granted, to take advantage of this feature ZoS will have to actually rewrite the code to allow it to be handled in parallel rather than running EVERYTHING procedurally... If we have to wait this long for a 64 bit client that is basically the same as a 32 bit client that has access to more system memory (ie, it doesn't take advantage of multiple cores) I will be EXTREMELY disappointed.
    @Rexlupis I didn't know about the benefits to the CPU to be honest, to be honest I thought that was already dealt with already.
  • Rexlupis
    Rexlupis
    ✭✭✭
    @Rexlupis I didn't know about the benefits to the CPU to be honest, to be honest I thought that was already dealt with already.

That is the major benefit of a x64 architecture. Someone in this thread mentioned that this game uses "two cores", but what is really going on in that situation is that the game is utilizing ONE physical core, which translates into two logical cores.

For example: I use a 4770k. It has 4 physical cores, but EIGHT logical cores. A 32 bit client can "technically" access two logical cores, but it CAN NOT access more than one physical core to run its instructions in parallel.

From my experience, I've never seen ESO.exe use more than 3 gb of RAM, even with a lot of heavy data addons (such as master merchant and harvester.) In fact, it usually sits around the 2 gb mark. Therefore, if the ONLY improvement they offer with the 64 bit client is access to more system memory, there will be almost NO performance improvement.

Recompiling a 32 bit client into a 64 bit version with support for extra system memory and calling it an "upgrade" is disingenuous and lazy. It is ignoring the majority of the work that needs to be done to actually optimize the software and is a cosmetic placebo at best. This seems to be what they did with the explanation of the 64 bit client in Guild Wars 2 posted above, although it seems people were having stability issues due to the 4 GB RAM limit from a 32 bit client, so it is more of a "band-aid fix" for that problem than a proper upgrade.

If ZOS tries to pull the same thing here, when the issue is VERY MUCH the fact that the game needs more processor power WHICH ISN'T BEING UTILIZED DUE TO THEIR SOFTWARE STRUCTURE, they are not servicing their customers, only baiting them with false promises.
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly you would probably notice the difference in Cyrodiil.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.