Maintenance for the week of January 27:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – January 27, 4:00AM EST (9:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EST (13:00 UTC)
• ESO Website for maintenance – January 27, 1:00PM EST (18:00 UTC) - 4:00PM EST (21:00 UTC)

question about 64 bit client.

vladimilianoub17_ESO1
vladimilianoub17_ESO1
✭✭✭✭
Just how using a 64 bit client will improve my gaming? will it run the game more smoothly?I have a 64 bit OS btw,so thats why I am interested in this change.Thanks for the responses in advance.

Best Answers

• Rexlupis
    Rexlupis
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody has really mentioned how a 64 bit executable will allow ESO to access all of our processor cores instead of just one. There is a massive bottleneck in ESO since it only uses one core, and, from my testing and viewing performance and usage logs, it seems like a lot of the frame-drops are caused by the fact that the single core is completely over-stressed, sitting at around 90% capacity most of the time and reaching 100% capacity often (this is on a i7 4770k running at 4.2ghz, water cooled and overclocked). The result is the CPU becomes a bottle neck as it has to wait to do the next instruction when it hits 100% load on a single core instead of running multiple instructions in parallel simultaneously. This would be a MASSIVE improvement to the performance of the game and would likely also allow those of us with good GPU's to actually utilize their performance (as it stands, I can't maintain 60 FPS on a 780ti water-cooled and overclocked to 1150 mhz while the GPU usually does not go above 60% load...)

Granted, to take advantage of this feature ZoS will have to actually rewrite the code to allow it to be handled in parallel rather than running EVERYTHING procedurally... If we have to wait this long for a 64 bit client that is basically the same as a 32 bit client that has access to more system memory (ie, it doesn't take advantage of multiple cores) I will be EXTREMELY disappointed.
  • stewart.leslie76b16_ESO
    @Rexlupis I didn't know about the benefits to the CPU to be honest, to be honest I thought that was already dealt with already.
    I, as a loyal member of the Foamy Cult, do solemnly swear to live a logical life free of stupidity, ignorance and all round jack assery. I shall do my best to enlighten those in need of Squirrelly Wisdom in hope of one day ridding the world of human idiocy. This I swear.
  • Rexlupis
    Rexlupis
    ✭✭✭
    @Rexlupis I didn't know about the benefits to the CPU to be honest, to be honest I thought that was already dealt with already.

That is the major benefit of a x64 architecture. Someone in this thread mentioned that this game uses "two cores", but what is really going on in that situation is that the game is utilizing ONE physical core, which translates into two logical cores.

For example: I use a 4770k. It has 4 physical cores, but EIGHT logical cores. A 32 bit client can "technically" access two logical cores, but it CAN NOT access more than one physical core to run its instructions in parallel.

From my experience, I've never seen ESO.exe use more than 3 gb of RAM, even with a lot of heavy data addons (such as master merchant and harvester.) In fact, it usually sits around the 2 gb mark. Therefore, if the ONLY improvement they offer with the 64 bit client is access to more system memory, there will be almost NO performance improvement.

Recompiling a 32 bit client into a 64 bit version with support for extra system memory and calling it an "upgrade" is disingenuous and lazy. It is ignoring the majority of the work that needs to be done to actually optimize the software and is a cosmetic placebo at best. This seems to be what they did with the explanation of the 64 bit client in Guild Wars 2 posted above, although it seems people were having stability issues due to the 4 GB RAM limit from a 32 bit client, so it is more of a "band-aid fix" for that problem than a proper upgrade.

If ZOS tries to pull the same thing here, when the issue is VERY MUCH the fact that the game needs more processor power WHICH ISN'T BEING UTILIZED DUE TO THEIR SOFTWARE STRUCTURE, they are not servicing their customers, only baiting them with false promises.
  • ArcVelarian
    ArcVelarian
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mostly you would probably notice the difference in Cyrodiil.
    Murphy's Law of PvP : If it can be abused and or exploited, it will be abused and or exploited.