The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Patch 2.2.5 - ninja nerf of all unofficial localizations. WHY, ZOS, WHY?

Kyros
Kyros
✭✭
UPDATE
Hey folks,

In the most recent patch we fixed an exploit that allowed addons to run arbitrary protected code. This exploit could have been used to create a lot of harm, so it was critical that we fix it as soon as possible. Unfortunately, there were some unofficial localization addons that were casualties of this fix as they were using the same exploit in a benign way. It was important to us that the hard work done on these addons was not lost, however, so we implemented a new method of doing unofficial localization at the same time that the exploit was fixed. When this new code is live, addon authors will be able to supply a file named <languageCode>_ingame.str (instead of the previous .lua version) and fill it with lines of the form [<stringCode>] = "<string>" to provide localization in a secure way. This new method is presently going through QA and will be made available as soon as we are confident in it. Sorry for the lack of messaging about this in the notes.

As an additional note, we now need to add the languages to the game as unofficial languages so they can be used with the secure system. Presently we have added Russian, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese. Which other languages are there unofficial translations for so we can make sure they are available when this new code launches?

R.I.P RuESO, R.I.P ServanTESO, R.I.P all other addons with unofficial translations

i must ask WHY?
its horrible, just horrible and bad decigion
its simply not fair :(

come and answer please
@ZOS_GinaBruno , @ZOS_BrianWheeler , @ZOS_RichLambert , @ZOS_ChipHilseberg
TERAB1T wrote: »
I agree with Savaş and want to add, that this is unfair toward all players, who don't know English or French or German languages. I have been working on RuESO (Russian unofficial localization) for more than 1,5 years. And now I'm very sad, that all my work was wiped out because of one small incremental patch. And I'm sad for all Spanish, Italian, Brazilian, Russian and Turkish players, who can't play ESOTU anymore.
CradonWar wrote: »
Greetings.

I'm the community lead of Bethesda Türk in Turkey. I'm working on Turkish translation of The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited as an Add-On for now. There are also other teams too. For now there are five languages (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese BR, Russian and Turkish) are in progress. Note this, we are all united for that. Chinese people want to begin too.

We are sure that doesn't violence any agreement because of this is working as an Add-On, like I said. And we will publish our works as one big project named "Unofficial Language Packs" in these days. Of course we want to become official in-game. But we are not done and this is not the time for this. I'm writing this because of last 2.2.5 update. Our works does not working now.

Our projects already can't work properly because of launcher's language. We were changing -SET Language.2 "en"- in UserSettings and play without launcher. This is another problem. But now it is not working too. We tried everything but there is no solution. We believe that you changed something on .exe file. Some of us worked for 1 or 2 years! Is that all these efforts are for nothing? I don't believe that ZOS don't want additional languages. I mean, why not? We want a hotfix for unofficial languages works fine and we need it. Could you do it at least?

Thank you in advance.
Savaş Coruh, Founder of BethesdaTurk.com
Leju wrote: »
I am Leju, I'm the administrator and the translation programmer to PT-BR Immediately after the update tried several things so that nothing worked he does not respect the set Language, including also already sent a request to them, seriously it will be one hell of shot in their feet because many players bought the game after the translations!

I have been working for some time in translation and made me very depremido it was preparing to update the translation refers to the last Update and see that happen too discouraged to continue the project!
KiriX wrote: »
All what we need is just allow us to use other locales, don't lock it only for en, fr and de!
But now (after 2.2.5) client reject all other locales except oficial (en, fr and de), so we can't make client to load data for other languages.
DarioZ wrote: »
Italian translator reporting for duty.

Actually I'm translating all alone the entire game and got pretty results for italian, 4% on the total made by one (actively working with only spare time from work and family) person.

I could talk hours about the love, passion and dedication of me and the other translators, but I'm a fan of KISS formula:

Please unlock other locales, we are not doing anything bad! It's all for the best (and more selling I'd say) of your game.

By the way I also translated ALL the patch notes by now in Italian ( http://www.esoitalia.it/category/patch/ )
  • Fecius
    Fecius
    ✭✭✭
    I’m sad for translators and players who don’t speak ESO official languages. Hope it will be fixed. :(
    - Looking for Progress PvE Guild!
    - Ex Ætherius Eight / Ætherius Raid PC EU
    - World First Sanctum Ophidia Difficult Mode (1.5.8 at January 21, 2015)

- PvE Dunmer Magicka Sorcerer
    - YouTube

- Under sun and sky Outlander, we greet you warmly!
    - Под этим Солнцем и небом мы тепло приветствуем тебя!
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know about the existence of these add-ons, but I want to say congrats for the effort you've put in and hope your situation gets fixed soon.
  • Leju
    Leju
    Soul Shriven
    I am Leju, I'm the administrator and the translation programmer to PT-BR Immediately after the update tried several things so that nothing worked he does not respect the set Language, including also already sent a request to them, seriously it will be one hell of shot in their feet because many players bought the game after the translations!

I have been working for some time in translation and made me very depremido it was preparing to update the translation refers to the last Update and see that happen too discouraged to continue the project!
  • Goratesque
    Goratesque
    ✭✭✭✭
    We cannot do anything right now. And we get stressed. The only thing we can do is wait. ZOS should definitely do something about it. I know they can.
    My Guilds:
    PC/EU - EP | Skyrim Lejyonu | GM
    PC/EU - DC | Black Horse Courier | GM
    PC/EU - EP | Siyah Atlı Kurye | GM
    PC/EU - DC | Imperial Trading Company
    PC/EU - EP | Unlimited Undaunted
    My Characters:
    Daggerfall Covenant
    [^]Master Arctus | DD - Magicka Nightblade (Breton, Battlemage of the Empire)
    Khaled al-Bergama | Tank - Health Dragonknight (Redguard, Forebear)
    Brother Marcel | Healer - Magicka Templar (Breton, Monk)
    Lucius Detritus | Tank - Health Necromancer (Imperial, Colovian)
    Sir Armand Dubois | Tank - Health Templar (Breton, Knight)
    Akhenatosh | DD - Stamina Templar (Imperial, Nibenese)
    Shrek Xl | Tank - Health Arcanist (Orc, Swamp Ogre)
    Selena Tharn | DD - Magicka Necromancer (Breton, Vampire)

Ebonheart Pact
    Goras Dagoth | DD - Magicka Dragonknight (Dunmer, Sixth House)
    Ada'Soom Dir-Kamal | Tank - Health Warden (Nord, Undead Kamal)
    Never-Gives-Up | Tank - Health Nightblade (Argonian, Shadowscale)
    Uruk gro-Mauloch | Tank - Health Dragonknight (Mountain Orc of Skyrim)
    Freydis Iron-Shield | Tank - Health Sorcerer (Nord, Champion)
    *Kelvedkaal | DD - Stamina Arcanist (Nord, Dragon Priest)

Aldmeri Dominion
    Robin of Valenwood | DD - Stamina Nightblade (Imperial, Strident)
    Tihullu | Healer - Stamina Warden (Bosmer, Druid)
    *Rilis Xll of Firsthold | DD - Stamina Sorcerer (Altmer, Lich High Kinlord)
    Dark Kinlord Sauron | DD - Stamina Sorcerer (Dunmer, Xivkyn Dreadguard)
    Prince Taka | DD - Hybrid Templar (Khajiit, Two-Moons Warrior Priest)

[^]This is my Main character overall.
    *This is my Primary character in that Alliance.
    My Primary Residence: Strident Springs Demesne (Arenthia, Reaper's March)
  • Kyros
    Kyros
    ✭✭
    Seriously are their commercial people working for them or against them?
    Does that even makes sense for anyone?

trade a win-win situation for a lose-lose one. WTF?
  • WandaMey
    WandaMey
    ✭✭✭
    really?
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, i just wanted to instal RuESO and now it failed?
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Might of had something to do with the russian using an invincibility hack?

No really not making it up...

But I doubt it's because of that, they should do a much better job about communicating to all communities.

Their communication is terrible.
    Edited by Troneon on November 10, 2015 12:07PM
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    wow that's some bull ***, not everyone in the world speaks one of 3 freaking languages

rip decibel
  • BlackguardBob
    BlackguardBob
    ✭✭✭
    I had no idea about this but it does seem like a bad move for all concerned. This needs a re-think.
  • Kyros
    Kyros
    ✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »
    Lol, i just wanted to instal RuESO and now it failed?

feel the same. bro
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Being a former professional translator my heart and respect go out to you guys doing such unfathomably enormous work.

Consider my hat tipped.

Hope ZoS will back you up in your endevour, or at the very least not actively work against you.
  • Tors
    Tors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt it was done on purpose, but I hope that they are looking into what was changed and are activly looking for a solution.

The ESO EU community is varied and better off because of that. People outside of ESO working towards making ESO accessable to all is a good thing for ALL players on ESO in the EU.

Better late Than Pregnant....
    The shadow cabinet, a group of people who pretend to have jobs they do not actually have

EU PC - Azura's Star
    Decimation Elite - Raid Jester
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If something is stopping your add-ons then there must be some element involved that harms gameplay. Zenimax only allows people to use the add-ons, they do not support their usage in a way that they are considered integral to the game. If that were the case you wouldn't even need add-ons because they would already be part of the game!

Since it is not frowned upon by Zenimax for PC Players to use add-ons I wish you luck in your endeavors and hope you can find a way to make your add-ons compatible!
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Kyros
    Kyros
    ✭✭
    @UltimaJoe777 sorry but looks like you know nothingabout addons, and ecpecially about this case with translations :)
  • Levo18
    Levo18
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seems this game is not designed for you go away play dota 2 or something or metin 2 thats more suited for you folks
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Since it is not frowned upon by Zenimax for PC Players to use add-ons

Why would it be frowned upon? ZOS supports the use and production of addons, they made the game that way.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • ladyonthemoon
    ladyonthemoon
    ✭✭✭
    Kyros wrote: »
    R.I.P RuESO, R.I.P ServanTESO, R.I.P all other addons with unofficial translations

i must ask WHY?
    its horrible, just horrible and bad decigion
    its simply not fair :(
    I feel for you people; I don't think they did this on purpose though.

• Olivierko
    Olivierko
    ✭✭✭
    Are we really talking about addons here?

Sounds to me that whatever you guys are trying to do, it's breaking the terms of agreement.
    Addons:PointificatorRaidificator

1. Dar'diov ★ AvA 25 ★ Nightblade
    2. Tig'ger ★ AvA 9 ★ Dragonknight
    3. Ba'bushka ★ AvA 28 ★ Sorcerer
    4. Hails-To-Putin ★ AvA 18 ★ Templar
    5. Ba'boon ★ AvA 13 ★ Sorcerer

6. PC EU ★ Aldmeri DominionYoutube
  • Kyros
    Kyros
    ✭✭
    Levo18 wrote: »
    Seems this game is not designed for you go away play dota 2 or something or metin 2 thats more suited for you folks

@Levo18
    go away lurk for food in other places, this topic is not for you, troll
  • KiriX
    KiriX
    ✭✭✭
    Olivierko wrote: »

Sounds to me that whatever you guys are trying to do, it's breaking the terms of agreement.

How it's breaking the terms of agreement???
    PC EU
  • Kyros
    Kyros
    ✭✭

@Olivierko it need huge attention because it hurts alot of players here
    and no, you wrong about breaking the terms of agreement
  • Olivierko
    Olivierko
    ✭✭✭

Please elaborate how the translations are added, considering that there is no native support within the API for modifying translations, I did just assume that you're running a program that alters files in runtime, which in turn is illegal.

• Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @UltimaJoe777 sorry but looks like you know nothingabout addons, and ecpecially about this case with translations :)

Ultima Joe I've noticed just comments on lots of stuff whether it has anything to do with him or not. I think he's just trying to be helpful and friendly or something (or took too many diet pills :-P ) and doesn't mean anything rude by it.
  • KiriX
    KiriX
    ✭✭✭

Please elaborate how the translations are added, considering that there is no native support within the API for modifying translations, I did just assume that you're running a program that alters files in runtime, which in turn is illegal.
    It can be done without any program. Just change locale string (in UserSettings.txt):
    SET Language.2 "ru" (for ex.)
    Put the addons files into Addons folder,
    and start game from eso.exe - done!
    Edited by KiriX on November 10, 2015 1:07PM
    PC EU
  • Kyros
    Kyros
    ✭✭
    considering that there is no native support within the API for modifying translations

there is
    Kirix answered you for me :)
  • Babiole
    Babiole
    I think it wasn't done on purpose.
    They just totally don't care about non-english-speaking players.
  • Olivierko
    Olivierko
    ✭✭✭
    KiriX wrote: »
    SET Language.2 "ru" (for ex.)
    Put addons file into Addons folder,
    and start game from eso.exe - done!

I don't think I understand what this topic is about, if you're manually changing all the texts and dialogues then where do you put the actual translations?

I'm guessing that you also should add what exactly is not working not considering that there's no such information thus far in this thread.

• KiriX
    KiriX
    ✭✭✭
    All what we need is just allow us to use other locales, don't lock it only for en, fr and de!
    But now (after 2.2.5) client reject all other locales except oficial (en, fr and de), so we can't make client to load data for other languages.
    PC EU
  • Kyros
    Kyros
    ✭✭
    If they knew they were doing this, why not a heads up to the communities of translators? Why nothing in the patch notes?
    Why do we have to "whine" to get information on a problem that concerns thousands and thousands of people who probably bought the game thanks to those translations?

I think the "whining" is very well deserved here. And way more than that.
    If it's just an "error" while validating settings though, why nothing to calm down people down like "whoops sorry we look into it".