The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[ERROR] Co-efficient of Max Magicka on Wall of Elements

Zlater
Zlater
✭✭✭
dvfzn9.png

Because on this PTS, crown store attribute respec scrolls are only 1 crown, I thought I might go through and use the opportunity to get some high quality data on what co-efficients our skills are using. What I find is that the math guys at ZOS are really good and they like to keep things neat and tidy, as such the coefficient for max magicka is, as a rule of thumb; always 1/10 that of what the co-efficient is for spell damage. The exception I found was with this skill, as you can see above. Instead of being 1/10th it is actually 1/100th of the spell damage coefficient.

Here is proof for comparison, below you will see the coefficient for force pulse:

2hxqcmr.png

This could be intentional, but I would say its more than probable that someone has just accidentally left an extra zero behind in their math.
@ZOS_RichLambert sorry for bugging you I don't know who else to ping, is this a bug? There has been a lot of attention on Wall of Elements with the new master weapons focusing on that skill, itd be good if it can be confirmed if this is or is not a bug.
Edited by Zlater on November 8, 2015 2:25PM
Ask for an invite to the greatest network of guilds ever. Redfur Trading, Redfur Exchange and Redfur Army!

www.redfurconnect.com
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would make sense. WoE has been terrible for a while now, with people being able to out-heal the damage through normal regular health regeneration, lol.
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, is this for real? Wall of Elements has had puny damage for months because of a BUG?
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wow, is this for real? Wall of Elements has had puny damage for months because of a BUG?

I hope so, that skill is much fun to use

rip decibel
  • Zlater
    Zlater
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah it pretty much seems like that. But in honesty it's a pretty easy thing to miss.
    It is very noticeable from our end though because usually most of a skills damage comes from max magicka (usually). Max magicka also being the sole reason that you inherently get stronger as you level up. Unless you're a stamina player xD.

Otherwise man have I been like a nerd in a library, the data I've pulled up is nuts, ok you probably already knew this, but for example: did you know that the shield from healing ward actually scales off spell damage as well as max magicka?

That took me by surprise.
    Ask for an invite to the greatest network of guilds ever. Redfur Trading, Redfur Exchange and Redfur Army!

www.redfurconnect.com
  • Erraln
    Erraln
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zlater wrote: »
    Yeah it pretty much seems like that. But in honesty it's a pretty easy thing to miss.
    It is very noticeable from our end though because usually most of a skills damage comes from max magicka (usually). Max magicka also being the sole reason that you inherently get stronger as you level up. Unless you're a stamina player xD.

Otherwise man have I been like a nerd in a library, the data I've pulled up is nuts, ok you probably already knew this, but for example: did you know that the shield from healing ward actually scales off spell damage as well as max magicka?

That took me by surprise.

I did know that, Barrier works the same way :smile:
    Thanks for the research! This behavior, if it's truly unintentional, may breath life back into the skill once corrected. I hope that turns out to be the case, as it could make the Maelstrom Staff much more interesting of an option.

EDIT: Drat. Shouldn't have gotten my hopes up.
    Edited by Erraln on November 9, 2015 12:51PM
  • Zlater
    Zlater
    ✭✭✭
    Hehe yeah I never seriously tried resto staff healing, so I never noticed. I just figured that all magicka based shields scaled off magicka only.
    Usually my healing rotation goes something like this:
    BoL, Jab, Jab Jab, BoL, Jab, Jab, Jab, RADIANT DESTRUCTION, let everyone else die, RADIANT DESTRUCTION, WIN, call everyone else a newb and brag about my solo victory.
    Edited by Zlater on November 9, 2015 7:12AM

www.redfurconnect.com
  • Kaliki
    Kaliki
    ✭✭✭✭
    An interesting find, but I'm afraid it will not change anything. There have been several dedicated threads pointing out how underperforming WoE is, so if there had been any interest from the developers, then someone must have already looked into it.

But on the contrary, developers insist that WoE is a useful skill, thus buffing the Maelstrom Destro staff (multiple times?) but not changing the real problem: WoE's low damage.
    - Templars: Slower by Design® -
  • Zlater
    Zlater
    ✭✭✭
    Kaliki wrote: »
    An interesting find, but I'm afraid it will not change anything. There have been several dedicated threads pointing out how underperforming WoE is, so if there had been any interest from the developers, then someone must have already looked into it.

But on the contrary, developers insist that WoE is a useful skill, thus buffing the Maelstrom Destro staff (multiple times?) but not changing the real problem: WoE's low damage.

I had to go back and check my math because of your comment, I embarrassingly enough found an error with my math. the spell damage coefficient is actually itself only 10% of what I listed it as.

Yeah so pretty much this is a, useless skill. Not even 50% of the damage liquid lightning does -.-
    Sorry for wasting your time folks.

www.redfurconnect.com
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I had to go back and check my math because of your comment, I embarrassingly enough found an error with my math. the spell damage coefficient is actually itself only 10% of what I listed it as.

Yeah so pretty much this is a, useless skill. Not even 50% of the damage liquid lightning does -.-

I'm glad someone is at least talking about how it needs to be changed. It's utterly sad how weak the skill is right now. People are probably still having nightmares about getting blown up the purge bug, but that doesn't mean the ability should be worthless. I'm actually of the opinion that the purge bug should be reimplemented to give this skill a strong purpose and to help deal with huge groups.

rip decibel
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Draxys wrote: »

I'm glad someone is at least talking about how it needs to be changed. It's utterly sad how weak the skill is right now. People are probably still having nightmares about getting blown up the purge bug, but that doesn't mean the ability should be worthless. I'm actually of the opinion that the purge bug should be reimplemented to give this skill a strong purpose and to help deal with huge groups.

I dont necessarily agree, if WoE is stackable it could already be an effective any zerg skill (just like pre 1.6).

The way I see it the damage need to be pretty high if its not stackable because the area isnt that big and enemies can simply move out of it. Or the damage can remain fairly low if its made stackable so the damage over a longer period of time increases.

The damage of WoE needs to be comparable to that of Liquid Lighting because its the same type of skill. LL should remain slightly more powerful though, because its a class and not a weapon skill.

@Zlater Great job on the testing, hopefully ZOS fixes this skill so its worth using in certain situations.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer