Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Error 1001. Repair downloads 31GBs

Nihili
Nihili
✭✭✭
Hi there.
Tried updating to 1.6 yesterday and left the download running throughout the night. I'm in South Africa and we don't have the fastest internet connection, so even though I let the 13GB download run through the night it was still finishing up the download this morning. So I was there when it finished: and right as the download ended and it went over to "applying patch" error 1001 came up (Access denied). I decided to run repair. My understanding of repair is that it's meant to check the files in my computer and only repair those that it found an error with.
Right now, repair feels it's necessary to download 31 gigs of data.
This has happened to me before (every now and again when a patch comes up, I encounter some real trouble downloading it- it's the same issue over and over; "Access denied") and unfortunately is still happening.
My internet speed is about 200-310KB/s, so if I understand the data conversion between bytes correctly then it's going to take 27 hours minimum for this thing to download. That's if the download doesn't stall or web request failure comes up.
Is there a way for me to stop the Access denied to come up? I feel like right now there's no real alternative except for me to shlep through 27 hours of this thing downloading, but I don't want this to happen every time I download a patch like it's been happening up to now.

Additional information:
I have a MacBook pro version 10.10, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 processor and 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory.
I have switched off firewall before starting the initial download (and even if it was on, my firewall has been set to allow connections from the Launcher).
I'm not too familiar with what account is the "admin account" for my computer or how that jazz works, but I'm pretty sure a guy at the apple shop made sure the account I accessed my mac with (i.e. my account) was the admin account.

Thanks!
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi @Nihili,

the first account you create on a new Mac usually has administrative privileges. There is no dedicated administrator (a.k.a. root) in OS X. You can check whether your account has admin rights in

Apple Menu / System Preferences ... / Users & Groups

The user logged in as "Current User" should have "Admin" beneath it. If not, try to remove the lock, then check "Allow user to administer this computer".

Do you have ESO installed on your boot volume (usually dubbed "Macintosh HD"), in the Applications folder?

You should check your disk permissions. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app. First verify the permissions by selecting your Macintosh HD, then clicking "Verify Disk Permissions". If there are warnings or error messages, you should then repair them by clicking "Repair Disk Permissions". Make sure that you have a recent Time Machine (or other) backup beforehand.

If, for whatever reason, some permissions cannot be repaired, you should boot up your Mac in Recovery Mode: press and hold the [Alt]-key when hearing the Boot Chime, until you see the selection of possible boot volumes. Select the Recovery volume. This takes you to a minimal desktop, where you can start Disk Utility from the "OS X Utilities" window.

Two more things you could try in order to get a less error-prone download are to disable App Nap for the Launcher app, and using a network cable to connect your Mac to the router if you're on WiFi.
  • Bärtierchen
    Bärtierchen
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same issue here. Error 1001 after each download of an Update. Then Repair button appears which leads to hours of downloads. When I don't press the Repair button and restart the launcher instead, the same happens again.

Repair Disk Permissions did not help for me.

- Mac Pro 2013 with OS X 10.9.5
    - My user has Admin rights
    - /Applications/Zenimax Online/Launcher.app

How can I see which file could not be written? Is it somehow possible to solve the issue on the file system itself? I'm an IT professional, so please don't hesitate to give me technical instructions
    Edited by Bärtierchen on June 28, 2015 1:05PM
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    i had the same issue, reported here.

I was also dubious about the apparently massive download but actually if you hit repair it doesn't download the whole thing, it just does a check and downloads the patch. Annoying but not too onerous.
  • Bärtierchen
    Bärtierchen
    Soul Shriven
    Seedier wrote: »
    I was also dubious about the apparently massive download but actually if you hit repair it doesn't download the whole thing, it just does a check and downloads the patch. Annoying but not too onerous.

I can't confirm this. It downloads stuff and then more and more.The progress bar fills again and again. And that takes hours.

Since I only play now and then, I must plan a lengthy repair session each time before playing.
  • Nihili
    Nihili
    ✭✭✭
    I can clarify that my issue specifically related to the fact that using "Repair" downloaded 31GBs and did not check the files and download a patch -- as stated in my initial post. I have never again needed to deal with this issue because I migrated from NA server to EU server and the EU launcher never does this. To my knowledge if I went on the NA launcher the same issue would arise again, as I have not seen any notes stating they have fixed the issue.
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hello folks!

If you're getting "Repair" erroneously and need to bypass the launcher, once the patch has downloaded fully you can try getting into the game by going into Finder and looking for eso. It should be all lowercase and directly open the game bypassing the launcher entirely.

Please note this will not work if your game has not patched yet.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Seedier
    Seedier
    ✭✭
    Thanks @ZOS_MollyH - the issue i'm experiencing only occurs when patching. I normally launch 'eso.app' directly out of sheer laziness.

Not a critical issue but annoying as i can never leave patching unsupervised - after downloading the first bit of the patch and applying it, it reports an error that a 'file is in use'. I then run a repair and it all works fine.
    At first glance the 'repair' is terrifying as it states it's creating a 31 Gb download but works as intended...
    Edited by Seedier on July 8, 2015 12:18AM
  • Morozov
    Morozov
    ✭✭✭
    is there a work around with this? Steps sound the same: account had admin rights, start launcher, short time elapses, error 1001: access denied, run repair and a loooooong time afterwards it will repair and work. I am curious if there is a KNOWN direct cause for this issue or not. All searches seem to give different information/responses. I have attempted the steps listed by @KajitFurTrader, but everything seems to check out fine.

any additional info as to why this happens and a usable workaround/repair would be appreciated
    AD
    Victorem
    PC - NA - AZ
    Vr 16: Morozov - DK
    Vr 1: Zephyr Grimm - Sorc
    Vr 5: Sad_Bunnie - Templar
    23: Repressed-Canadian-Rage - NB
    Voted "Most likely to squirrel off the crown" PC-NA
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    So is nobody else getting this?
    I have 10 gb free. That isn't enough? I'm getting extremely discouraged at this point. I honestly have no damn idea what to do. I've deleted multiple programs AND documents and cleaned a lot of stuff. I tried deleting The Elder Scrolls Online itself, and left the launcher. Now it says I just don't have enough room.
    I'm so DAMN lost and frustrated right now! what do i do?!
  • Corellon Thromorin
    Corellon Thromorin
    ✭✭✭
    Is it the steam version?
    Do not use the steam version, take the key and download through the official site.
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Is it the steam version?
    Do not use the steam version, take the key and download through the official site.

Now i'm wishing it was the steam version. I'm stuck at this point man. No it's the official version from the site.
  • KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wodinn wrote: »
    Is it the steam version?

Now i'm wishing it was the steam version. I'm stuck at this point man. No it's the official version from the site.

If you're doing a fresh install, do you have at least 85 GB free HDD space, as per minimum system requirements?
  • Wodinn
    Wodinn
    ✭✭✭
    Wodinn wrote: »
    Is it the steam version?

If you're doing a fresh install, do you have at least 85 GB free HDD space, as per minimum system requirements?

Well that's what it came down too. And NOW I'M ***! because I can't even seem too *** get up to 70 gb's available. Now i'm pissed off. I have no idea what happened. I've deleted SO MUCH STUFF from my comp. RIP, to any of my *** characters cause it doesn't look like I'll be playing ESO any *** time soon. I'm so *** pissed off right now!! GODDAMMIT!