The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Would you like an Alchemy Hireling?

Kuroinu
Kuroinu
✭✭✭✭✭
I only just recently finished maxing out Provisioning and Alchemy, and realised that only with Alchemy do you not get a Hireling option. I have searched the forums and found many year-old threads about this, but none seem to know why exactly there is no Hireling for Alchemy. I'd gladly spend 3 skill points for this and I cannot think of a reason as to why it wasn't an option to begin with.

Just for the hell of it I have made this into a poll. Which if I'm right in thinking, is going to be overwhelmingly one-sided lol.
Edited by Kuroinu on October 30, 2015 5:01PM

Would you like an Alchemy Hireling? 47 votes

Yes.
85%
bigscoothb14_ESORoyal_Kitsunei3ig_GunKilaraZahneKhenarthiJitterbugfailkiwib16_ESOAzarath_tiberiusOrchishAFrostWolfFlaminirLingMorimizoFfastylredTechIncReverbAetherderiusme_mingAlina_Scarbridge 40 votes
No.
14%
Nestoranitajoneb17_ESOEasily_LostCalidus1 korbrentPeel_Ya_Cap_517NBrookus 7 votes
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't really want to vote, because while I do alchemy, my mailbox is full enough as it is from the other hirelings and rewards for the worthy. Seriously, it can take me 30 minutes a day to sort out my mail. It's a pain in the arse.
    So personally, I wouldn't use or want an alchemy hireling because it seems like more stress than its worth.
    However, hirelings are optional through the use of passives, and I wouldn't want to stop people who do want them from getting it.
    So it's kind of hard to choose Yes or No without corrupting the poll :-/
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    I'm not bothered about the poll, I'm just surprised this doesn't exist as an option already. I'd value it way more than the other hirelings.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    I would like instead a Passive that gives 2 Reagents Per Node or 3 Reagents Per Node then 4 Reagents Per Node, so 3 levels of the passive to match the Hirelings. Or, we could just have 2 levels like I think Snakeblood is (I have never put a point into that so I don't know if it has 2 levels or what) so 2 or 3 Reagents per node.

The only question is, would the Plentiful Harvester passive from the CP work on top of this or not? I am leaning to yes on that question. Especially since that passive seemed to be nerfed in the IC update.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Nestor wrote: »
    I would like instead a Passive that gives 2 Reagents Per Node or 3 Reagents Per Node then 4 Reagents Per Node, so 3 levels of the passive to match the Hirelings. Or, we could just have 2 levels like I think Snakeblood is (I have never put a point into that so I don't know if it has 2 levels or what) so 2 or 3 Reagents per node.

The only question is, would the Plentiful Harvester passive from the CP work on top of this or not? I am leaning to yes on that question. Especially since that passive seemed to be nerfed in the IC update.

This is a good alternative or in addition to a Hireling. From my short experience with the Provisioning Hireling or Hirelings in general, I do get a lot of junk I won't ever use.

I like the idea of having passives to increase yield, in fact I'd rather have that be applied to all crafts over a hireling. Since you can actually pick and choose what you want when you go out to gather, instead of random items in the mail.
  • Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Although from my experience with Hirelings in FFXIV; you were able to send your Hireling out to search for specific items. Perhaps Hirelings could have this type of improvement? But I can't see that happening or at least being high on any priority list. Even so, it'd be nice if we could do so.
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Just for the hell of it I have made this into a poll. Which if I'm right in thinking, is going to be overwhelmingly one-sided lol.

Yes.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No.
    If it were there, I wouldn't invest the skill points in it. I'd end up with Emetic Russula and Water Hyacinth stacks every day.

Now if I could tell my hirelings, "I only want columbine, bugloss, mountain flower, namira's rot and wormwood," that'd be a different story! Or I like Nestor's idea as well.
    Edited by NBrookus on October 31, 2015 2:54PM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    Hirelings are wasted skillpoints anyway.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I used to think the opposite because they might, just might bring something good.

But I don't think I can defend that position much longer - I trash half of what they bring and the frequency of anything really good just isn't worth it, particularly compare to writs.

I suppose Pumpkins and Garlic was amusing for Hallowe'en, but not ingredients I actually use...

• Kuroinu
    Kuroinu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.
    Yeah the Provisioning Hireling is by far the worst in terms of getting things you need lol.
  • korbrent
    korbrent
    ✭✭
    No.
    No, alchemy isn't really as required, correct me of I am wrong, but do potions of health and magicka drop more than glyphs or [decent] armor? I believe potions do drop the most, for me at least and I would see no point in a hireling sending me items that I do not require. Sure it would be nice but that is just inventory slots being wasted on something that is more rare than the resulting items. I do admit though, voting yes was originally going to be my response because who doesn't love free items? I mean honestly, name one person who does not want free items.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way to get several things. Purple drink ingredients for one. You won't be making Psijic Ambrosia without them.

I could go on.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As well, as you progress, you end up with lots of extra skill points. My present lead at VR14, has about 20 unused even after making her a level 50 Provisioner and Alchemist.

Both are needed for high end play. You get 20 minutes extra food and drink time from a maxxed Provisioner. That does not seem like much till you pop a Psijic Ambrosia and have 50 minutes instead of 30. Maxxed Alchemy gives you 30% more time on all Potion numbers.

My other high level chars all have extra points unused.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

The only way to get several things. Purple drink ingredients for one. You won't be making Psijic Ambrosia without them.

Sorry, you're wrong. You get purple provisioning ingredients pretty much every time you do a provisioning writ. I have tons of them and haven't used hirelings for over a year.

As well, as you progress, you end up with lots of extra skill points. My present lead at VR14, has about 20 unused even after making her a level 50 Provisioner and Alchemist.

Both are needed for high end play. You get 20 minutes extra food and drink time from a maxxed Provisioner. That does not seem like much till you pop a Psijic Ambrosia and have 50 minutes instead of 30. Maxxed Alchemy gives you 30% more time on all Potion numbers.

Sorry again, wrong again. YOU might have a lot of extra skillpoints but many players are struggling for skillpoints. My main char has ALL skillpoints available in the game, all skyshards, all dungeons and all quests, (with the exception of PvP ranks skillpoints) and still struggles A LOT with skillpoints. Skillpoints are some of the rarest assetsin the game for people who play different profiles (solo, group, raids, PvP, crafting) on one character. And you always need some specific extra skills unlocked for specific dungeons and bosses.

But if people who have extra skillpoints are ready to waste them on hirelings that's fine by me, but it doesn't change anything to the fact that they're wasted skillpoints.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on November 2, 2015 11:15AM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry, you're wrong. You get purple provisioning ingredients pretty much every time you do a provisioning writ. I have tons of them and haven't used hirelings for over a year.

Sorry again, wrong again. YOU might have a lot of extra skillpoints but many players are struggling for skillpoints. My main char has ALL skillpoints available in the game, all skyshards, all dungeons and all quests, (with the exception of PvP ranks skillpoints) and still struggles A LOT with skillpoints. Skillpoints are some of the rarest assetsin the game for people who play different profiles (solo, group, raids, PvP, crafting) on one character. And you always need some specific extra skills unlocked for specific dungeons and bosses.

But if people who have extra skillpoints are ready to waste them on hirelings that's fine by me, but it doesn't change anything to the fact that they're wasted skillpoints.

Oh well. I have 4 VR chars, another 4 in support, a full suite.

Once you get your stuff together, assuming you don't entirely change, respec etc, the number of points you used experimenting with your build become redundant once you actually find out what works for you. After going through this quite a number of times I don't even unlock whole areas I don't use. A fair amount of my actual DK skills are still locked at VR14 as I don't use them. Chains, all that cool stuff, I don't use.

If you have to unlock everything you can, you will need em' all. You don't have to do that.

As well any purple drink ingredient you buy, came from a hireling.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.
    If you have to unlock everything you can, you will need em' all. You don't have to do that.

As well any purple drink ingredient you buy, came from a hireling.

Please read... (again if required)

As I already explained, you do need a lot of skillpoints if you play various aspects of the game with one character. Not "experimenting" but playing.

And as I already explained too, purple drink ingredients also come (massively) from provisioning writs. I have tons of them and *never* bought any from another player.

We can disagree on opinions but please do not state wrong facts.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on November 2, 2015 11:38AM
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm too lazy to do writs, so hirelings are amazing for me, since I'm too busy focusing on resource harvesting.

...Except for alchemy, since, well... Don't have one...

But @Nestor 's option is also a good one. So I'll have to say: any of these would be nice.

Finally: inb4 "but the alchemy mats prices will drop significantly! Noooooo mah gold :("
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.