Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question regarding effectiveness of Footman 5 piece at Physical Resistance Hard Cap

ettenmoor
ettenmoor
✭✭✭
The title should be self-explanatory, but to restate it:
Is the 12% block mitigation from the Footman 5 piece still effective once you reach 50% damage mitigation with the Physical Resistance hard cap?
  • Rudster
    Rudster
    ✭✭
    Having more armor will make blocking in general "less effective" because block mitigation is applied after armor mitigation. So if an attack has a base damage of 50k hp, your block mitigation is only applied to the 25k hp hit after you take into account max armor mitigation. Footman's is still very effective though, because bosses in the hardest places (ICP, WGT, Trials) hit VERY hard.

I take 3.5k HP hits against Molag Kena after blocking. That is with 75% block mitigation (SnB passives, HA passive, DK passive, Footman's, Definsive Stance slotted). Without Footman's I would be being hit for 4.3k HP. So its basically reducing damage taken by 24% in this instance.

I also don't focus on physical resistance whatsoever on account of having so much block mitigation. Since virtually all physical damage is blockable, I'm mitigation so much damage with just my block I have no need to have 30k+ physical resistance. I only have 25k physical resistance right now buffed and I have had no issue tanking anything (WGT, ICP included).
  • ettenmoor
    ettenmoor
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the clear explanation. I usually don't hit the armor hard cap myself (maybe around 28k unbuffed), and usually run Hist/Footman/Agility or some other experimental variant. I was just trying out a different combination (5 Hist/4 Alessia/3 Footman) today to see if the hard cap without Footman 5 pc bonus, was a viable alternative. Hence the question.

Thanks again for clarifying.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what they actual damage mitigation hard cap is. @paulsimonps , do you have any idea about that?
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder what they actual damage mitigation hard cap is. @paulsimonps , do you have any idea about that?
    @Personofsecrets

I'm not sure exactly so I went and tested a bit and here are my results:

base dmg 5597

dmg with armor on not blocking 3911

my physical resist was 19976

the mitigation of the armor was 30.12328%

so 19976/30.12328=663.1416 so that would mean that ~663 resist is 1% mitigation so 33157.08 or if we round to 663 then 33150 resist would be the hard cap.
    ettenmoor wrote: »
    The title should be self-explanatory, but to restate it:
    Is the 12% block mitigation from the Footman 5 piece still effective once you reach 50% damage mitigation with the Physical Resistance hard cap?

Here is what I put on another thread on the same topic:
    Lets write up an example. Lets use a DK as our class since its the most common tank. A DK with hardcapped resistance that is using absorb magic and deep slash while blocking with and without footman has these mitigations(Dk and sword and board passive counted in):

Footman: 0.5x0.5x0.8x0.9x0.92x0.85x0.88=~0.1238=~12.38% left from the original which is ~87.62% total damage mitigation.

Without Footman: 0.5x0.5x0.8x0.9x0.92x0.85=~0.1407=~14.07% left from the original which is ~85.92% total damage mitigation.

If we use a normal attack that does say 10,000 in base damage when hit with no resists or abilities or passives then the damage taken with and without footman is:

Footman: 0.1238x10,000=1238

Without Footman: 0.1407x10,000=1407

Then you do 1407/1238=~1.1365 and that shows that without footman you take 13.65% additional damage compared to having footman, which is 1407-1238=169 dmg in this case. But yes the total damage mitigation will show only an increase from 85.92% to 87.62% which is only 1.7% more. I still don't think footman is worth it. Though if you have lower resist the % that footman adds will be more because of the diminishing returns in mitigation. I myself have far from capped resist but if you are close to it or at it then I would even more so not bother with footman.
  • Personofsecrets
    Personofsecrets
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore
    Edited by Personofsecrets on November 1, 2015 4:42PM
    Don't tank

"In future content we will probably adjust this model somewhat (The BOP model). It's definitely nice to be able to find a cool item that you don't need and trade it to someone who can't wait to get their hands on it." - Wrobel