Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

About character skillpoints and crafting

Tyrix
Tyrix
✭✭
Let's assume these chars is v16 or in the process of getting to v16:
Is it worth to have for example, 1 character whos committed to enchanting, another for smithing, etc? Or is it more worth to have 1 "craft slave" character that's only for crafting and nothing else?

Does a character who doesnt have any points invested in crafting vs a character whos fully invested in enchanting have any kind of advantage? E.g does the character with investment in crafting skills forced to have less passives?

I'm quite confused of how this works, please enlighten me.

Also, someone said that if e.g: This character have all traits in swords, daggers etc, wont be able to research the same traits for staffs. Is this true?
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You should use the same character for Blacksmithing, Clothing and Woodworking otherwise you have to get the style books multiple times and some of them are really expensive. And yes, you can learn all traits for all weapons and armour on one single character, it will just take some time.

Alchemy is usefull to level on every character you have, as there is a passive that increases the duration of buffs from potions.

Provisioning can be nice too have on every character aswell, as it has a passive that increases the duration of buffs from food and drinks, but it's not as important as the alchemy buff.

For enchantment it doesn't really matter which character you use. The only advantage you'd have from learning it on your main char is that collecting materials might be easier with him.

As soon as you have most skill points, you will be able to level all crafting skills and still have all skills and passives you could need for fighting. Only while leveling skillpoints will be an issue, so you have to decide if you want to level crafting faster or have stronger skills while leveling.
    Edited by lolo_01b16_ESO on October 25, 2015 10:24AM
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    i think its best to have 1 toon be a ultimate crafter. so you dont have to use multiple of same rare motifs on multiple toons. if your running low on skill points and need to make some skill point changes. atleast have one toon for crafting armor and weapons, one for alchemy, one for enchanting, one for provisioning. my main is my everything crafter. collected all shards and did all quest that gives SP so i have plenty of SP to spare.

for your last question, im not sure what your asking. do you mean for example, your researching dagger precise trait, can you also research a staff with precise trait at same time? daggers etc and heavy armor are in black smithing category and staffs are wood working. you can only have 3 traits in each category "researching" at any given time if you have the passive that allows for 3 researching traits at once. so you can have 3 traits researching in blacksmithing 3 in woodwoorking and 3 in clothing. doesnt matter if they are the same traits as the other category. if you go to crafting table and then to research tab, it will show you what traits you know and need to research.
    Edited by Oh_Skrivva on October 25, 2015 10:26AM
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • Tyrix
    Tyrix
    ✭✭
    Oh_Skrivva wrote: »

for your last question, im not sure what your asking..

What I was told was I can't research the same traits I have on blacksmithing items if the character also does leatherworking or whatever.

E.g I got mundus trait on heavy armor, I can't research mundus trait on medium armor. Is that true?
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first character is also my crafter, at V16 now.
    She has researched every trait in game and maxed all crafts. So whoever told you that you could only research a trait like Divines in an armour type, has lied to you.

You cannot research every trait simultaneously though, even with all the research passives unlocked, you can only research 3 woodworking items, 3 blacksmith items, and 3 clothier items at a time. But when research on those items is done, you can start researching new things.

By the way, at V16 I have 250+ skillpoints to use in passives and skills, even with very little group dungeons completed and pvp ranks obtained (these also give skill points) so it is not impossible to be a multicrafter if you are patient enough. The game's main quest gives skill points, levelling up gives skill points, a few quests in each zone give skill points, and then there's a lot of skyshards to find... for even more skill points!
    Edited by Khenarthi on October 25, 2015 1:53PM
    PC-EU
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyrix wrote: »
    Oh_Skrivva wrote: »

for your last question, im not sure what your asking..

What I was told was I can't research the same traits I have on blacksmithing items if the character also does leatherworking or whatever.

E.g I got mundus trait on heavy armor, I can't research mundus trait on medium armor. Is that true?
    What? No.

Who the hell is spreading stupid misinformation like that?
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    What you can research is strict but I think someone, somewhere, misread a comment about "only being able to research a trait once for a group/type". "Group" meaning "Knives", "Swords", Inferno Staves" etc and applied it as "Weapons" instead.

I haven't noticed any benefit to restricting research, personally. In fact it is quite irritating when upgrading equipment to have to log on to another character. If you had to do that for every profession it would be very tedious, even more so when you forget to put materials or the created equipment in the bank.
    Tyrix wrote: »
    Does a character who doesnt have any points invested in crafting vs a character whos fully invested in enchanting have any kind of advantage? E.g does the character with investment in crafting skills forced to have less passives?
    Yes, the character who doesn't have any points invested in crafting has an advantage in that they have more points to spend in the Offense/Defense Skills. I got through fine without having those extra points though, on two characters.

Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • rabb1t_ESO
    rabb1t_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You have to be very focused and know what skills you'll want and your style of play.

But yes, this khajiit is often tank, has (melee) dps skills, and also can heal, and eeks by with just enough points while still doing blacksmithing, clothing, woodwork, enchanting, and provisioning. (All have been 50 for a while.)

Note that said skills aren't quite 100%. There is only 1 point in the vision abilities, only 1 point in the hireling, and things like drink boosts were skipped in provisioning. So yeah, depending on the number of roles you do, and how many 'extra' points you've spent in your build on things you don't use all the time, it can get quite tight leveling up. To counter that I'd recommend grabbing the skyshard addon and spending time in each new zone you find grabbing all the skyshards to always have as many points as possible. (I believe I'm at like 280 spent.)

Q: Would it make sense to just have a dedicated crafting character?

Yes and no. You could do that, and never need to worry about those points getting in the way of a build you want to do on a character. And you'd never have to worry about 'what if' in terms of how the class pans out in later levels and if you change your mind on it being your main. But do remember you will need a certain amount of skill points to get through those trade skills. So you will have to do at least some leveling / skyshard hunting. That may or may not pair well with the level of mats you are farming. (Exceeding your character level / ability in the craft makes getting those materials more difficult.)
    Edited by rabb1t_ESO on October 28, 2015 4:46PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whether you choose to invest skill points in all of them now or not, I would recommend leveling Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking and Enchanting by deconstructing loot. Then if you do want to invest the skill points in them to craft items, you can at any point. Meanwhile you can collect or sell tempers and style materials.
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 of my guys is a master crafter 50 everything except alchemy. And my number two is my alchemist.

I choose 1 to do most of my crafting because of some achievements. Like the "Truly Legendary"
  • Snowgoons
    Snowgoons
    ✭✭✭✭
    sucks having to waste points on crafts that are linked to skills :/
    Rollin' round Tamriel on that skooma wasted like a failed Grand Theft Auto mission.