Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can't improve Jarkarn's machete...

TheGreatestEver
TheGreatestEver
Soul Shriven
I'm lvl.10, on PS4 and I'm experimenting with a Sun God build for my first character (male, Imperial Templar, pretty much dawns wrath spells for every kill with a Biting Jabs at the end if needed). I just made the Death's Wind set at Chill House with either a magic boosting or magic cost reducing ruin on each piece of the set. I wanted to run with a Death's Wind shield for whatever reason. Anyhow, in my eyes, the machete is the perfect weapon early on because the damage shield works well while the d.o.t burns them up. Well I just tried to improve it using 3 honing stones and it failed but didn't destroy the blade. So I thought it glitched somehow and I had gotten lucky...tried it again with 3 more honing stones and it displayed the same message in the top right side of the screen: "Improvement failed". It didn't destroy the sword this time either. I deconstructed it afterwards because I had no need for it if I can't strengthen it. I'm using the Death's Wind bow now. The one hand/shield is a character perk though and with the damage shield of the blade early on I would be indestructible.

Anyone else experience this? It's not that serious, I can probably find another in a guild bank somewhere for real.

A magician was driving his car and he turned into a driveway!!!
  • Wolfy2512
    Wolfy2512
    I noticed this recently too, with the same weapon weirdly, and also other quest weapons.

It also asked me to use 7 honing stones to improve rather than the usual 5 for a white item, but it was changing to blue rather than green as well.

Like you, the weapon didn't break despite trying it a few times. I'm also on PS4
  • TheGreatestEver
    TheGreatestEver
    Soul Shriven
    For what it's worth, even though it sucks...glad someone else has had this happen. When I went back to Daggerfall it did it again. Exactly like you described. It allowed me to go up to 7 honing stones and they didn't destroy either? I searched google and got nowhere. Quest weapons....maybe that's the problem. Statistically locked in even though it shows the potential upgrade.
  • Wolfy2512
    Wolfy2512
    Mine wasn't so much a problem, i'd collected it but that character is a Templar Bow build, but thought it would be handy for my DK dual wield Orc i've recently started so the level was about right too, because it wouldn't let my crafter alt improve it I deconstructed it instead.

Wish i'd checked when I was playing earlier, but i'm sure i've improved some quest weapons before, or maybe it was quest armour.