Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does the Caldwell's Gold area quests give enough xp VR14 to VR16

Bambo0
Bambo0
Soul Shriven
Hi,

I stopt questing when I completed Caldwell's Silver and could advance into the Gold area's. I grinded my way from VR 8 to VR14. But now Iam having real problems to level up to VR15/16. Grinding Cracked wood cave is too crowded now, and I feel the VR9 zombies in desert dont give enough xp anymore.

So what I would like to know is if the quests in the Caldwell's Gold zones will still give me enough xp to level up to 16. Like I said, I havent done done any of them yet. Also haven't done allot in Craglorn either. So could someone help me with this. What is my best option to level up, I do have imperial city DLC if that matters.

Thanks in advance.
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to get 2 vet levels out of gold zones.

A lot of people grind in IC or v/DSA. The dailies in cyrodil are usualy good for a quick 200k xp as well.
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    No - Gold was designed to get you to VR10 initially... With the changes that boost XP gains/reduce XL per level now.. maybe VR12-13 after gold.
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not unless you eat a lot of XP pots. Half the XP or more comes from the monsters you kill while doing the quests. At VR14 you get heavily reduced XP from gold zones, because mobs to low level.

The bigger quests gives something like 12-18k XP each. You need 1.7 mil XP for 2 levels, so that's a lot of quests you have to do :dizzy:

Go clear Cyrodiil quest hubs, it's really good and super quick XP compared to gold zones. Also, there's other delves than CWC. Not as good of course, but no major risk of getting ganked every 5 minute our outdps'ed by angry allies.
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say easily, blasting through the quests gives decent enough xp, I had my vr15 templar just finish gold, and I do got that I didn't do the silver start island, went back there and got another half a rank, so I think the quests in gold should easily net you 2 vet ranks.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless I'm misreading this, it's generally 1 VR rank per area x5 areas = 5 total.

To answer the original question, it should be easy to get from VR14 - 16 doing gold.

I'll put a caveat on this: exp was reduced 10% after the patch for quests. I don't know if exp is slowed for VR14+.

I know ZoS is trying to slow us down to keep people from capping, but I've no idea how they're going about it.

• zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vr ranks have no level differences for questing, a vr16 will get the same exp as a vr1 doing a quest in a vr1 zone, they just won't get much exp from mobs (75% less iirc)

My character was averaging 1.5 ranks per zone, and a friend that is a completionist hit vr16 by the end of gold.
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Unless I'm misreading this, it's generally 1 VR rank per area x5 areas = 5 total.

To answer the original question, it should be easy to get from VR14 - 16 doing gold.

I'll put a caveat on this: exp was reduced 10% after the patch for quests. I don't know if exp is slowed for VR14+.

I know ZoS is trying to slow us down to keep people from capping, but I've no idea how they're going about it.

Sorry, should have been clearer. Meant two levels total. Its about 0.8 levels per zone, but since the OP is much higher than the zones his xp per mob will go down a bit. Still should be enough to get max, since only needs 2 levels.
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I easily hit VR16 via questing in the gold area. I was there at the start of the final zone within a few days of the level cap increase. It takes longer than grinding in the IC sewers but is absolutely achievable without pots.
  •  HollyQ502
    I have always had a hard time keeping up in level - my main is VR8 after finishing Cadwell's Gold. I'm having the same issue on my new character - she's up to level 26 quests but is only level 22 and I do all the quests in a zone, plus all the delves, before moving on. I don't dungeon grind though. I don't know how anyone gets to VR16.
  • Dalsinthus
    Dalsinthus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HollyQ502 wrote: »
    I do all the quests in a zone, plus all the delves, before moving on.
    OK that is weird - I did the same, plus world bosses, and I was constantly overleveled. By the time I hit vet rank I was 3 levels above my current zone. That gap only grew throughout Cadwell's Silver and Gold to the point where I was six to seven veteran levels above the final zone. I did do some of the group dungeons, but only occasionally and never did any grinding. I do have ESO plus, but a 10% bonus does not explain the huge gap between your experience and mine.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I have always had a hard time keeping up in level - my main is VR8 after finishing Cadwell's Gold. I'm having the same issue on my new character - she's up to level 26 quests but is only level 22 and I do all the quests in a zone, plus all the delves, before moving on. I don't dungeon grind though. I don't know how anyone gets to VR16.

If I had to guess, I would say it is one of three things:

1) You skipped the starter islands on your characters and/or you haven't been doing the prophet, fighter's guild, and mage's guild story arches.

2) You really aren't doing all the quests/content in a zone needed to level up. A lot of players follow the main story for a zone and think that will lead them to all of the quests a zone has. There are quest hubs all over the map and the zone story doesn't take you near all of them. Additionally, there are a ton of side quests that you won't find unless you explore off the beaten path, so to speak. Even if you have the achievement for completing X number of quests in a particular zone that still doesn't mean you have necessarily found all of them, as there are always more quests in a zone than needed for these achievements. And if you don't have this achievement for a zone, you can be sure that you've missed a lot of content there. Completing all of the quests, delves, dolmens, and public dungeons in each zone should really be enough to keep you at least two levels above the content you are doing. You do not need to do the world bosses or dungeons (even once) to remain over-leveled.

3) You are a player who goes out of there way to avoid killing mobs. Killing mobs gives decent XP while questing and if you try to complete the quest objectives while actively avoiding or sneaking past mobs, you can find yourself under-leveled. This isn't to say you have to grind in every quest hub, but you shouldn't be trying to kill as little as possible either.
  •  HollyQ502
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »

If I had to guess, I would say it is one of three things:

1) You skipped the starter islands on your characters and/or you haven't been doing the prophet, fighter's guild, and mage's guild story arches.

2) You really aren't doing all the quests/content in a zone needed to level up. A lot of players follow the main story for a zone and think that will lead them to all of the quests a zone has. There are quest hubs all over the map and the zone story doesn't take you near all of them. Additionally, there are a ton of side quests that you won't find unless you explore off the beaten path, so to speak. Even if you have the achievement for completing X number of quests in a particular zone that still doesn't mean you have necessarily found all of them, as there are always more quests in a zone than needed for these achievements. And if you don't have this achievement for a zone, you can be sure that you've missed a lot of content there. Completing all of the quests, delves, dolmens, and public dungeons in each zone should really be enough to keep you at least two levels above the content you are doing. You do not need to do the world bosses or dungeons (even once) to remain over-leveled.

3) You are a player who goes out of there way to avoid killing mobs. Killing mobs gives decent XP while questing and if you try to complete the quest objectives while actively avoiding or sneaking past mobs, you can find yourself under-leveled. This isn't to say you have to grind in every quest hub, but you shouldn't be trying to kill as little as possible either.

I appreciate your response - I wish I could say one of the three is the case. Possibly a bit of #2. I did the whole starter island, I did both fighter's and mage's guild stories, sacrificed the prophet, got my soul back; I definitely don't go out of my way to avoid anything...I looove killing stuff and will often kill stuff that's out of the way just because.

As for #2, the only thing I skipped on purpose was most of the world bosses because I seemed to get my ass handed to me every time I try one, even with other players to help. And the group dungeons. I make a point of looking at the map a lot to see where I haven't been and have found many quests that way. If I'm missing some it's not from lack of exploring. I didn't do every dolmen, I will say that - I probably hit about half on average per zone.

I dunno!!

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno!!
    Having played two characters, there's one thing I did notice and that's leveling up to 50 seemed to go very quickly in terms of my own leveling. I always seemed to be 2-3 levels below the area.

Once I hit VR1, things "leveled out" since the entire area was VR1. I usually made the next level by the time I cleared it, so I was VR2 before getting to the VR2. This went on until about VR6, where I was pretty much close to going +2 in VR.

Of course, I was destroying anything that moved.

Now, I'm VR12 at Bangkorai, which is VR10. I'm already 40% to VR13, so it's quite likely I'll hit very close to VR15 before I'm done with the area. I just started it.

I would probably be higher, but the latest patch has given me so much grief over lagging, I'm not going after mobs as much as I used to. In fact, I'm pretty much done playing until this is resolved. I only log in now to horse train and get hireling stuffs.
  • Bambo0
    Bambo0
    Soul Shriven
    tnx for all comments guys, it helped me allot ;)
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just hit VR16 grinding mobs in the IC sewers and it worked well for me. The XP seems pretty damn good with XP pots on, even though it is more challenging and you can't pull as many mobs at one time. Plus once you hit V15 you will start collecting trophies to open vaults for the end game jewelry, and also V16 crafting mats. If you haven't done this on other characters, collecting the mats and trophies is a SERIOUS grind in itself. At 100+ mats per crafted item (just made a V16 Maul with 140 rubedite ingots), and only getting 1 mat per decon, it takes a ton of mats to make a set of V16 gear. I figured I'd level up and start collecting these mats at the same time.

Go into a server that your faction dominates, grab a friend if you can, and grind the sewers near your base. Sure there is a risk of getting ganked, but even if you lose some stones from time to time, you still keep the mats, trophies, and XP.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started Caldwells Gold at VR10 on my Templar. I am at VR15.95 and I have most of Reapers March left to do (last zone)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait for next patch to drop in Nov. and you'll have Cadwell's Platinum (aka Orsinium) with plenty of new quests.
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]