Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[Video] I need f̶e̶m̶i̶n̶i̶s̶m̶ Shield Breaker because...

Shelgon
Shelgon
✭✭✭✭
Edited by Shelgon on September 29, 2015 11:33PM
V16 Templar - Shelgon - DC
V16 Dragonknight - The Secutor - DC
  • LegendaryChef
    LegendaryChef
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another that has fallen to the dark side, saddens me too see this.
    Zzoro/Elliot Brown/Baldy ~Kitesquad/Noricum~
    PC EU.
    Spider mount was the only good part about morrowind release.
  • Yonkit
    Yonkit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biting Jabs isn't burst damage, that's your problem, whittle their shields down with DoTs or Jabs and then smack them with Burst, either Dawnbreaker, Meteor, Take Flight for DKs, and immediately follow up with a animation canceled execute. Shield Breaker is a colossally broken set.... Can't hate you for using it for easy kills but that video proves you can spam jabs and fail to kill a Sorcerer, which is... Not an accomplishment on either end. :confused:
    Has an Alter Ego in the form of a very large quadrupedal black & white Bear.
  • Shelgon
    Shelgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yonkit wrote: »
    Biting Jabs isn't burst damage, that's your problem, whittle their shields down with DoTs or Jabs and then smack them with Burst, either Dawnbreaker, Meteor, Take Flight for DKs, and immediately follow up with a animation canceled execute. Shield Breaker is a colossally broken set.... Can't hate you for using it for easy kills but that video proves you can spam jabs and fail to kill a Sorcerer, which is... Not an accomplishment on either end. :confused:

This video wasn't made to be taken seriously. I do hope though that no one actually walks up to shield stacking sorcs and just uses biting jabs.

IMO though, I feel like the only warranted change for the SB would be to limit it to fully charged heavy attacks, or just for melee damage, because weighted bow does break the system, that I won't deny.
    Edited by Shelgon on September 30, 2015 2:35AM
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorc can blink and break cc too and use mines... as a templar u will never have enough burst to kill a smart sorc and with ravager or other sets like that u wont stand a chance anyway since u have a lack of regen, he would simply outplay you.
    take flight scales off physical dmg and that makes it hit hard enough for such cases. As templar i dont see a chance tbh. I even tried combined with reflect etc. so the sorc bursts himself too and still had no chance to kill a good sorc.
    I got 3.5k weapon dmg and couldnt even burst em dead when i put full cc on em.

The bad sorcs are doable.
  • Xexpo
    Xexpo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mumyo wrote: »

Sorc can blink and break cc too and use mines... as a templar u will never have enough burst to kill a smart sorc and with ravager or other sets like that u wont stand a chance anyway since u have a lack of regen, he would simply outplay you.
    take flight scales off physical dmg and that makes it hit hard enough for such cases. As templar i dont see a chance tbh. I even tried combined with reflect etc. so the sorc bursts himself too and still had no chance to kill a good sorc.
    I got 3.5k weapon dmg and couldnt even burst em dead when i put full cc on em.

The bad sorcs are doable.
    I prefer Jameson.
    Kiki Dickson ~~~ Dixmanian Devil ~~~ Cornelius Buckshank Jr.
    Histy-Fitz ~~~ Boozemer ~~~ Chace X'expo
    Lluvia De'Fuego ~~~ Shakes Spear
    Macro and Cheese NA/PC
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative

Every decent sorc cant be killed if you do not use shieldbreaker, no matter what class you play.

With shieldbreaker however, the situation changes quite a lot, burst him down to 10-30% HP then he spams shields and that is where you spam shieldbreaker = RIP sorc
    tho you need a Bow for that, otherwise he Bolts away like a chicken
    Edited by Alcast on September 30, 2015 7:41AM
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Now replace the Sorc with a Templar and the Hardened Ward with Breath Of Life. So when you DPS him he just spams Healing Ward + BoL. Let me know how much Weapon Damage you need to burst that down, I estimate about 60-70k. And Shield Breaker won't help you. Or defile as they can purge that with a cheap class skill.

#NerfBoL
    #BuffHardenedWard
    EU | PC | AD
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now replace the Sorc with a Templar and the Hardened Ward with Breath Of Life. So when you DPS him he just spams Healing Ward + BoL. Let me know how much Weapon Damage you need to burst that down, I estimate about 60-70k. And Shield Breaker won't help you. Or defile as they can purge that with a cheap class skill.

#NerfBoL
    #BuffHardenedWard

^this

I´m fine with your use of shielbreaker. The only scenario where it´s broken is with two or three ppl spamming bow light attacks on you. Every class has a fair chance of fighting this - sorcs don´t.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »

Every decent sorc cant be killed if you do not use shieldbreaker, no matter what class you play.

With shieldbreaker however, the situation changes quite a lot, burst him down to 10-30% HP then he spams shields and that is where you spam shieldbreaker = RIP sorc

How do you expect a sorc to fight shieldbreaker bow light attack spam. You can´t outheal the dmg with anything but illustrous healing which negates all mobility you have in the process.

I want a set that enables me to bypass reflect. Let´s see how your dk likes that one.
    <Noricum>

• Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Derra wrote: »

How do you expect a sorc to fight shieldbreaker bow light attack spam. You can´t outheal the dmg with anything but illustrous healing which negates all mobility you have in the process.

I want a set that enables me to bypass reflect. Let´s see how your dk likes that one.

Bolt twice and you are out of range, or simply block

I have not yet played Magicka Sorc so I cannot really say how annoying Shieldbreaker is. But without shieldbreaker good sorcs are still invincible.
    Edited by Alcast on September 30, 2015 8:38AM

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bolt twice and you are out of range.

I have not yet played Magicka Sorc so I cannot really say how annoying Shieldbreaker is. But lterally without shieldbreaker good sorcs are still invincible.

It´s not that bad 1v1. But once you get someone with a weighted bow spamming on your only option is to flee. Which is basically every fight in cyrodiil now.

It´s a hardcounter for sorc 1vx where every other class still has options to do so. Nightblades now more than ever. Templars are pretty strong too.
    Atleast stam DKs are good - can´t talk about magica ones.
    <Noricum>

• Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative

I have not yet played Magicka Sorc so I cannot really say how annoying Shieldbreaker is. But lterally without shieldbreaker good sorcs are still invincible.

It´s not that bad 1v1. But once you get someone with a weighted bow spamming on your only option is to flee. Which is basically every fight in cyrodiil now.

It´s a hardcounter for sorc 1vx where every other class still has options to do so. Nightblades now more than ever. Templars are pretty strong too.

Have you tried using SwordnShield instead of Destrostaff and maybe put some points into stamina?

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you tried using SwordnShield instead of Destrostaff and maybe put some points into stamina?

The problem with S&B is - sorc does not have a class anytimed skill. You have to use trapping webs for that case which happens to be extremely cost intensive (33% cost increase compared to shock). Sorc´s burst is no longer sufficient to kill anything without an anytimer (4000 spelldmg build here).
    I´d run S&S purely for the added 4k resist IF i had access to an instant cast magica dmg ability (i´m doing that on my NB bc hey why not) but for some reason i don´t have that option.

The problem is not blocking it´s that you don´t have a reliable heal and your main class defense get´s hardcountered.

Also you don´t want to block against someone who´s spamming you with bow light attacks as a sorc non stamina build.
    Edited by Derra on September 30, 2015 8:56AM
    <Noricum>

• Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

#NerfBoL
    #BuffHardenedWard
    I don't think you can compare sorc with templar in this scenario. Mainly because you cant kite with templar. And there are times you can't outheal incoming damage even with 8k non crit BoLs due to the global cooldowns and being defiled means you have to waste GCD for purge.
    There is nothing left in templar arsenal that stops inc damage for a tad moment which blazing shield and blind were doing exactly that before.

So #NoNerfBoL

Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Yuke
    Yuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not yet played Magicka Sorc so I cannot really say how annoying Shieldbreaker is. But without shieldbreaker good sorcs are still invincible.

You cant block shieldbreaker, because it is unresistable damage.
    Save Us, Microsoft.

Noricum & Kitesquad™
    YT-Channel
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »

#NerfBoL
    #BuffHardenedWard
    I don't think you can compare sorc with templar in this scenario. Mainly because you cant kite with templar. And there are times you can't outheal incoming damage even with 8k non crit BoLs due to the global cooldowns and being defiled means you have to waste GCD for purge.
    There is nothing left in templar arsenal that stops inc damage for a tad moment which blazing shield and blind were doing exactly that before.

So #NoNerfBoL

I´d rather have the ability to fight and maybe win than having the chance to run away but being guaranteed to die if i stick to the encounter tbh. Especially when all the person countering you has to do is spam light attacks.

Also all the video does showcase is what everybody knows. Stacking shields is op. Just remove healing ward and give an instant burstheal option.
    Edited by Derra on September 30, 2015 10:26AM
    <Noricum>

• Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    Yuke wrote: »

You cant block shieldbreaker, because it is unresistable damage.

If you do not have a shield up you can block the Light attack >:> I was prolly not clear enough there lol
    Edited by Alcast on September 30, 2015 10:36AM

• Hexys
    Hexys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This just says everything, can't kill people by spamming 1 ability. Try rotations/strategy and you will be able to kill a sorc in a 1v1.

Would be cool if ZOS makes every ability 50% increased cost after re-casting just like streak. Maybe the players that QQ all day will learn how to play PvP properly then as they are forced to create a rotation.
    Astrum | Daggerfall Covenan | EU-PC
    Noricum | Daggerfall Covenant | EU-PC
    Spectral | Ebonheart Pact | EU-PC

DC | AR 50 | Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (07-08-2016)
    AD | AR 50 | Hexposed - Magicka Sorcerer (27-04-2017)
    EP | AR 50 | Darth Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (05-08-2018)
    EP | AR 50 | Grand Overload Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer (03-03-2021)
    EP | AR 39 | Legendary Hexys - Magicka Sorcerer

EP | AR 43 | Hexyles - Stamina Nightblade
    EP | AR 49 | Hexys - Stamina Nightblade (23-02-2022)
    EP | AR 35 | Hexesy Shadowblade - Stamina Nightblade

EP | AR 50 | Hexesy - Magicka Warden (31-01-2021)
    EP | AR 49 | Hexyra - Magicka Warden (07-03-2021)

EP | AR 34 | Hexesy Czyterski - Magicka Necromancer

2.5k+ Champion Points
    Earned over 640.000.000 Alliance Points!

@Hexiss - Youtube Channel - Twitch Channel
  • Beedles
    Beedles
    ✭✭✭
    lol on the bs video notice he doesn't show what weapons he's using or armor for that matter or even what damage hes doing . he could be using a lvl 1 weapon and same with armor don't feed the trolls.
    Edited by Beedles on September 30, 2015 11:04AM
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I love these suggestions from Alcast ("Have you tried S&B with some stamina?", "Have you tried blocking?") which reminds me very much of Araxleon's thread ("Why do Sorcs refuse to think outside the box?") or even DDuke's posts before that. When none of them have actually ever played Sorc and they are talking to people who main Sorcs and have tried countless of combinations to try and balance survivability with damage output.

Reminds me of this gif :lol:

BackSeatDriver_zpsig6zaxee.png
    EU | PC | AD
  • Acts
    Acts
    ✭✭✭
    Dude was this recorded like 5-6 hours ago, if I remember right erudition,scribes and me just jumped in and started rekting everyone on that bridge for an hour. You record that?

AD VR16 Sorc - Act of Rage : Retired
    AD VR16 NB - Acts in Shadows
    AD VR16 DK - Bixx Low : Retired

EP VR16 Sorc - Acts of Dominancy

DC VR16 Templar - Acts of Rejuvenation
    DC VR16 NB- Acts of Ferocity
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we all just take a minute to realize that I'm in someone else's video and how awesome that is? :)

Like I told Shel when we fought, I don't really care about the 5 set bonus. I still fight and kill several players using it. Even our fights when using shieldbreaker lasted a good amount of time with me using blessings of rest. My problem is that this set does nothing to counteract its bonus; no penalty, if you will, for a high damage build to use it. As you saw, he could get almost 4.5k weapon damage on a 26k stamina build with good resource management/regen. Switching from his main facemelting build to shieldbreaker cost him less than half a K of weapon damage and even increased his stamina slightly.

That being said, I only had 8k hardened ward the entire time. We even had a duel with me using blessings instead of healing ward and I was able to win. Why? Because I didn't sit there and take punishment like in the video. I had 1.7k spell damage, 30k magicka and 2k regen. And that is where the bittersweet part of this whole thing takes place:

Without my shield, he killed me in less than two seconds with biting jab weaves. Less than two seconds in the new 1.7 High TTK pvp! With my shield he couldn't get me down to 80% without smacking me with an ultimate + burst, and that's if I slipped up and let him. I agreed to this video for two reasons. I like helping people, and I'm tired of the polarity surrounding classes. I want to be able to do the damage other classes are doing, but those classes don't want me to have their survivablity.

If I'm "Gonna be a glass cannon, then I should be squishy and easy to kill because of the major damage I can do."

I'm sorry? My insta cast, 40k magicka, 2.5k spell damage, entropy induced crit frag did a whopping 5.4k to Shel. Granted there was some serious mitigation, but such that any stamina build would be using now. I sacrificed regen, stamina, health and staff weaving based resource management for 5.4k frags, and because enough people just couldn't seem to kill a handful of fotm sorcs I now have to be careful when using the only defense my "glass cannon" class gives me. I hate item balance. I hate detect potions. I hate shieldbreaker. I don't run away from a fair fight, but I did. For the first time I ran away from a 1v1 at the sound of that set hitting my health. 5k stones just wasn't worth the uphill battle against it. I've L'd2p. I've found counters. I've won a lot of fights against it. In the hands of a capable player that just weaves it in like they normally would? No chance. I might get lucky, but that's it.

EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
  • Rook_Master
    Rook_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is now a hard counter to shield-stacking and Sorcs act like the sky is falling.

For months I heard sorcs argue that shields are fine, because "any class can shield stack, don't pay any attention to Hardened Ward lol"

Well, Shieldbreaker can hit any shields, don't pay any attention to Hardened Ward lol.
  • Shelgon
    Shelgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Acts wrote: »
    Dude was this recorded like 5-6 hours ago, if I remember right erudition,scribes and me just jumped in and started rekting everyone on that bridge for an hour. You record that?

I think this was in Chillrend, and I recorded this like a day before I uploaded.

@ Anyone who is saying "Obviously you're not going to win by just using biting jabs", wow, who would've thought.

This was in no way meant to mimic a practical situation, I didn't think I'd have to say that considering, oh, I don't know, it isn't a practical situation?
    Kova wrote: »
    Can we all just take a minute to realize that I'm in someone else's video and how awesome that is? :)

Like I told Shel when we fought, I don't really care about the 5 set bonus. I still fight and kill several players using it. Even our fights when using shieldbreaker lasted a good amount of time with me using blessings of rest. My problem is that this set does nothing to counteract its bonus; no penalty, if you will, for a high damage build to use it. As you saw, he could get almost 4.5k weapon damage on a 26k stamina build with good resource management/regen. Switching from his main facemelting build to shieldbreaker cost him less than half a K of weapon damage and even increased his stamina slightly.

That being said, I only had 8k hardened ward the entire time. We even had a duel with me using blessings instead of healing ward and I was able to win. Why? Because I didn't sit there and take punishment like in the video. I had 1.7k spell damage, 30k magicka and 2k regen. And that is where the bittersweet part of this whole thing takes place:

Without my shield, he killed me in less than two seconds with biting jab weaves. Less than two seconds in the new 1.7 High TTK pvp! With my shield he couldn't get me down to 80% without smacking me with an ultimate + burst, and that's if I slipped up and let him. I agreed to this video for two reasons. I like helping people, and I'm tired of the polarity surrounding classes. I want to be able to do the damage other classes are doing, but those classes don't want me to have their survivablity.

If I'm "Gonna be a glass cannon, then I should be squishy and easy to kill because of the major damage I can do."

I'm sorry? My insta cast, 40k magicka, 2.5k spell damage, entropy induced crit frag did a whopping 5.4k to Shel. Granted there was some serious mitigation, but such that any stamina build would be using now. I sacrificed regen, stamina, health and staff weaving based resource management for 5.4k frags, and because enough people just couldn't seem to kill a handful of fotm sorcs I now have to be careful when using the only defense my "glass cannon" class gives me. I hate item balance. I hate detect potions. I hate shieldbreaker. I don't run away from a fair fight, but I did. For the first time I ran away from a 1v1 at the sound of that set hitting my health. 5k stones just wasn't worth the uphill battle against it. I've L'd2p. I've found counters. I've won a lot of fights against it. In the hands of a capable player that just weaves it in like they normally would? No chance. I might get lucky, but that's it.

Also this.

I'd like to add that when I dueled Aydinn, I lost every fight I was using my weapon damage build (4.8k weapon damage). I feel like I'm a decent enough player to know how to burst on the only toon I have, even then, I just couldn't do it, and Aydinn beat me fair and square. I used meteor with Jav to ensure the it hit, medium attack, biting jabs, I broke through the shield, but it wasn't enough to get Aydinn down.

I won (i think) all the shield breaker fights, but I'm not proud of it.

All in all, I got rekt, shout out to Aydinn for helping me out, gf's.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is now a hard counter to shield-stacking and Sorcs act like the sky is falling.

For months I heard sorcs argue that shields are fine, because "any class can shield stack, don't pay any attention to Hardened Ward lol"

Well, Shieldbreaker can hit any shields, don't pay any attention to Hardened Ward lol.

The problem with that hardcounter is that it hardcounters the classes only defense ability. I would LOVE to use something else with reasonable sacrifices. As it stands there are no options for sorcs to do that. The solution when encountering shieldbreaker is: Run away bc you´re not able to fight it when someone with half a brain uses it.

That´s just p*sspoor design.
    <Noricum>

• Erudition
    Erudition
    ✭✭✭
    lol act
  • Shelgon
    Shelgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Erudition wrote: »
    lol act

I actually did record that though, lol. You guys were great.
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexys wrote: »
    This just says everything, can't kill people by spamming 1 ability. Try rotations/strategy and you will be able to kill a sorc in a 1v1.

Would be cool if ZOS makes every ability 50% increased cost after re-casting just like streak. Maybe the players that QQ all day will learn how to play PvP properly then as they are forced to create a rotation.

This is propably the easiest scenario a templar can get and is in the most advantagous situation.
    Usually the sorc comes and goes whenever he wants drops mines and bombs ur face from safe distance.
    If u would use ur ressources to go after him u wont even be able to spam jabs at him once on a stamina build since u have to dodgeroll to stay alive.

jabs ist the highest dmg a templar can do and the sorc just stands there and pushes shield... usually if u are under pressure in such a situation u should instantly try to get away since it usually should hurt you very very bad.
    This video shows that its against any logical battlebehaviour, the sorc doesnt have to care at all if he is in a bad position right now. 1button only protects him from the most badass skill the templar has (and spams in his face).

As a templar facing a nb or dk in such a situation and they would throw their most badass skill at me like that i would die very very fast, even if i spam heals on me. (to survive such a situation i would have to move or do some smart moves on my enemy to turn the power around).

Edited by Mumyo on September 30, 2015 7:03PM
  • Shelgon
    Shelgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mumyo wrote: »
    Hexys wrote: »

That is such a nobrainer...

This is propably the easiest scenario a templar can get and is in the most advantagous situation.
    Usually the sorc comes and goes whenever he wants drops mines and bombs ur face from safe distance.
    If u would use ur ressources to go after him u wont even be able to spam jabs at him once on a stamina build since u have to dodgeroll to stay alive.

jabs ist the highest dmg a templar can do and the sorc just stands there and pushes shield... usually if u are under pressure in such a situation u should instantly try to get away since it usually should hurt you very very bad.
    This video shows that its against any logical battlebehaviour, the sorc doesnt have to care at all if he is in a bad position right now. 1button only protects him from the most badass skill the templar has (and spams in his face).

As a templar facing a nb or dk in such a situation and they would throw their most badass skill at me like that i would die very very fast, even if i spam heals on me. (to survive such a situation i would have to move or do some smart moves on my enemy to turn the power around).

I mean, you're in the right direction... but still not quite correct.
  • Yonkit
    Yonkit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kova wrote: »

This post pretty much sums it up, I've killed you a bunch of times as Emp in Chillrend, or at least my fuzzy wuzzy altar ego has. :wink:

No trouble with your shields there lol, all jokes aside though Shield Breaker and shields are fine.. Shield Breaker is ZoS's lazy way of "fixing" shields, even though they were never broke and any competent player could kill a sorcerer before, now Shield Breaker basically puts the competent player at a much higher advantage to said sorcerer and makes said sorcerer a very easy free kill. Hell, I don't even play sorc but I'm afraid to cast igneous on my DK around these bowtards spamming light attacks because it seriously hurts, kills me faster than 10k wrecking blow spam would.
    Has an Alter Ego in the form of a very large quadrupedal black & white Bear.