Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Have I been doing it all wrong.....?

simo271
simo271
I am a VR8 Ebonheart Pact Dragonknight and have gained all of my XP from doing quests, I am not into PVP at all however would like to get the maximum out of my character in PVE. I am often finding that my level is too low to carry out certain activities in the areas that I am going through (Cadwells Gold - Malabol Tor).

My question is what would be the fastest/easiest way to gain some XP to increase my level to catch up with the quest areas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • simo271
    simo271
    Note - I craft all my armour and weapons my self and have 7 traits on all armour items and 5+ on sword which is what I mainly use.
    Edited by simo271 on September 23, 2015 2:50PM
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you only doing the quests needed to satisfy Cadwell's Silver/Gold? I just hit VR5 in the third zone of Cadwell's Silver (and VR3 in the first zone of Cadwell's Silver on an alt), but I'm doing all quests, side quests, delves, and public dungeons (playing solo on my main, so no group stuff) including going to the starter islands. I've found on my main (VR5) and two alts (VR3 & L29) that doing everything always leaves me over-leveled. I do also have ESO+ now which give an extra 10% experience, but I didn't have it until VR4 on my main and was still over-leveled constantly.

If you're going to Malabol Tor, and have done all the quests to that point, I'm not sure what you can do at this point other then xp pots/enlightenment/eso+/grind.
    Edited by Number_51 on September 23, 2015 3:12PM
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a map and do the world bosses, all the delves, and points of interest. Its pretty easy to do and first time xp bonus is very big. You can go back a few maps, just keep the level within 5 of yours. Do the quests that are in the same area together, its way more efficient since you are going through the same areas.

I pretty much skipped silver and went to gold.
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Up to you how you want to progress, if questing is your preferred method and you've hit a wall in content then I guess your options would be:

Questing - going back and completing any unfinished quests

Grinding - good grind spot is the quickest way to gain XP

Public Dungeons - with the new patch, these are pretty good grind spots too and if there's any you haven't completed for the achievement then it might be worthwhile

Dolmens - if you even care about the achievement

Dungeons - especially the daily when it's easier to queue for a group

Level an alt - leveling a VR alt will give you more CP, which means your main will become more powerful as well

Take on the challenge - work with your build, your gear etc to try to make the current content doable and challenging which is, for me at least, more rewarding than blowing through easy content
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    I have done every mission/delve/skyshard/lorebook/ect on my first toon (NB) using stealth to avoid some non mission fights and was on level all the way to the end....

Buddy of mine did the same but fought everything in his way and he was so overleveled missions have greyed out for him. He is 45 in a 38 zone.

So are you sure you have not missed something?

Check your Achievements...
    1. Skyshard are they all done in the zones you have completed?
    1a. Delves are they all done in the zones you have completed?
    2. Public Dungeons are they all done in the zones you have completed?
    3. Lorebooks are they all done in the zones you have completed?
    4. Have you found every named location in the zones you have completed?
    5. Dolmens are they all done in the zones you have completed?
    6. World Bosses are they all done in the zones you have completed?
    7. Group Dungeons are they all done in the zones you have completed?
    Edited by Tallowby on September 23, 2015 3:25PM
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    V8 should be plenty for all but maybe the Public's even in VR10 Gold.

This assumes you're geared somewhat decently and have enchants, food, and a decent skill set?

You can always grind or repeat anything down to VR5 and still get full XP's accordingly if you wish to level up. With the XP increase, those little side quests payoff big.

EDIT: Also, if you've never completed the Group Dungeons (vet or otherwise), they give really good XP and a skillpoint on first completion.

Get a group and roll through them all.
    Edited by Merlin13KAGL on September 23, 2015 3:24PM
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Number_51
    Number_51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, I forgot about the world bosses. Nice call with exploration XP as well. You should be able to go all the way back to the third zone of Cadwell's Silver for that.
  • simo271
    simo271
    Thanks folks, by the sounds of it I have missed a lot of content. I basically play an area until I receive the adventurer achievment/all points complete for silver/gold and then move on to the next zone. However I have done MOST of the delves in each area.

By world bosses do you mean the skulls on the map? (bit of a novice, sorry)
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    simo271 wrote: »
    Thanks folks, by the sounds of it I have missed a lot of content. I basically play an area until I receive the adventurer achievment/all points complete for silver/gold and then move on to the next zone. However I have done MOST of the delves in each area.

By world bosses do you mean the skulls on the map? (bit of a novice, sorry)

Skulls = Yes

All points on map should be white.... if you have any black ones still you missed/didn't complete them.
    Edited by Tallowby on September 23, 2015 3:46PM
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    simo271 wrote: »
    I am a VR8 Ebonheart Pact Dragonknight and have gained all of my XP from doing quests, I am not into PVP at all however would like to get the maximum out of my character in PVE. I am often finding that my level is too low to carry out certain activities in the areas that I am going through (Cadwells Gold - Malabol Tor).

My question is what would be the fastest/easiest way to gain some XP to increase my level to catch up with the quest areas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I stick to caldwell questline, delves, dungeons, (discover all, but only fight some world bosses and dohlmens), discover all points of interest per map... move on...

My vr6 pre patch and vr7 post patch DK was above ground in final area of Malabol Tor Caldwell Gold farming. I even did a couple delves set to vr10 solo while at vr7. Post 1.7 patch, i had to rework some things, change up some skills, find better jewelry and even swapped a couple skills. I also built new armor as I was running outdated / crafted armor... so, post patch, stuff got noticably harder... but, I could still manage after an adjustment period.

Your next question is leveling... I think. If you want to really level quickly, go to Cyrodil and do the daily quests in the towns. There are basically 5 towns in Cyrodil (not Imperial city) just good ol cyrodil.

Look here at the circles - one is not shown here, in the North, south of Fort Dragonclaw:
    http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af110/lgallastair1/Cyrodiil_zpsfe4b7d2b.gif

Each town has 2 quest givers and 10 quests. You can plow through the quests in a town in 30-40 min as you are learning them... They give about 3x the exp as quests completed in normal PvE land and it's all VR level stuff. You are level sync'd up too. Most folks are stuffed away into Imperial City, so gankers are at an all time low.... making it doable. Take a friend to help have one person log the quest and share them as picked up - so you are sync'd. Makes the trip more enjoyable. Can do 3 towns in 2-3 hours pretty safely... also, instead of running all over... just use the "help / get me unstuck" to fast travel back to way shrine when done with a town. Much faster than running all over the place.

Happy hunting.
    NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • simo271
    simo271
    Thanks for the comprehensive explanations people it's appreciated. Got a good few things to get stuck into there!
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    If it helps at all, if I were going for 100% completion of a zone I would just follow the quest storyline and and be sure to pickup any side quests I come across, and just make sure I hit every quest hub. This is sort of the organic way. Might mix it up by doing some delves, dolmens etc when they're nearby.

Then after all quest hub icons are completed (filled in) I first check my skyshard achievements and lookup online any I was missing, every delve has a skyshard so that's an easy way to complete both skyshards and delves for that zone. Public dungeon, if you're going for the achievement, also lists which bosses you haven't completed for that public dungeon.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar