The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Shield stacking

hummer250
hummer250
what am I doing wrong I will bring someone down to about 15% health and all they do is spam a magic shield and I can't kill them. Is there something I need to put in my CP to help me? I am Stamina NB and yes I know magic NB is super OP but I don't like magic NB's.
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    hummer250 wrote: »
    what am I doing wrong I will bring someone down to about 15% health and all they do is spam a magic shield and I can't kill them. Is there something I need to put in my CP to help me? I am Stamina NB and yes I know magic NB is super OP but I don't like magic NB's.
    Where's that LOL button?

Options
  • Unstable.Pixel
    Unstable.Pixel
    ✭✭✭
    Shieldbreaker = GG
    I swear to drunk i'm not god
    Options
  • Ffastyl
    Ffastyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As the troll mentioned, you can use the Shieldbreaker set introduced in the Imperial City Patch.

Alternatively, you can use the stratagem other players have used to cope with the imbalance of shield stacking: timed CC and burst. Whittle the shields down a bit but not enough to prod them into renewing them, then land a long-lasting CC and hit them with everything you've got.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

PC NA
    Daggerfall Covenant

Ffastyl - Level 50 Templar
    Arturus Amitis - Level 50 Nightblade
    Sulac the Wanderer - Level 50 Dragonknight
    Arcturus Leland - Level 50 Sorcerer
    Azrog rus-Oliphet - Level 50 Templar
    Tienc - Level 50 Warden
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Ashen Willow Knight - Level 50 Templar
    Champion Rank 938

Check out:
    Old vs New Intro Cinematics

"My strength is that I have no weaknesses. My weakness is that I have no strengths."
    Member since May 4th, 2014.
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with you it's just how it is saddly and shield stacking does need to either be nerfed or just removed from the game.
    Options
  • Darnathian
    Darnathian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ffastyl wrote: »
    As the troll mentioned, you can use the Shieldbreaker set introduced in the Imperial City Patch.

Alternatively, you can use the stratagem other players have used to cope with the imbalance of shield stacking: timed CC and burst. Whittle the shields down a bit but not enough to prod them into renewing them, then land a long-lasting CC and hit them with everything you've got.

That sounds a lot more skillful than just renewing 2 shields and continuing going glass cannon. Nice balance. Must be perfect with timing to get a kill. Seems legit.
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darnathian wrote: »

That sounds a lot more skillful than just renewing 2 shields and continuing going glass cannon. Nice balance. Must be perfect with timing to get a kill. Seems legit.

If someone doesn't have to time his skills to kill you, then sorry, but you're not a good player. ;)
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Options
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming that you complain about shieldstacking, there is a high possibility that you actually didnt take the said person down to 15%, it was just your UI showing his HP small in comparison to shields.
    ~ @Niekas ~

Options
  • Darnathian
    Darnathian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

If someone doesn't have to time his skills to kill you, then sorry, but you're not a good player. ;)

I am saying that with shield stacking it takes the skill out of playing a sorc and making the person actually beat your skill, not the op build from the heavens.
    Options
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with you it's just how it is saddly and shield stacking does need to either be nerfed or just removed from the game.

They really should remove stacking shields along with shieldbreaker though ;).

As it currently stands the solution to the shieldstacking problem especially against low health target is get shieldbreaker.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

Options
  • R0M2K
    R0M2K
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can try to crit or dot their shields... Oh wait, no you cant.
    Options
  • Ajalia
    Ajalia
    I can´t hear/read such comments any more, so let me show you my opinion on that topic:

In a Game, where you have the choice of different classes and races, you probably take the class and race which probably suits you best. Let me explain that from the perspective of a nightlade:

FACTS about the Nightblade Class :

1. Nightblade Class is intended to hit and hide, means you are not meant to stand somwhere and take all the beating.
    2. 2. Nightblades DO what they are meant for, if played properly, you have properly gear and skill, you deal tons of damage.
    3. Since the Nightblade class is a hit and run class , you deffo need to play smart, means if you feel you can´t handle the situation, get out of it, there´s enough possibilities to do so. Cloak,Dodge Roll, Fear-Dodgeroll-Cloak, and so on.
    4. Since you have made a dessicion to play that particular class, you kinda have to live with it advantages and disadvantages as well.
    5. Ofcourse the main concept of you class can vary, depending on your setup, skill, gear.
    6. Let´s say you have choosen a Burstbuild, trust me, if played properly, you pop Shield using classes while sleeping, IF you play smart! Since you have chosen a Burst Build, which was your choice, you have to live with the disadvantages of it, for example the squishines.
    7. You made your choices, you CAN´T ASSUME , that you have an hybrid build, which is THE Destroyer against all other possible builds. You can´t be good at all possible situations with one Singe Build. There´s ALWAYS a counterbuild out there.

FACTS about the Sorcerer Class

1. The Sorcerer class, since it´s mostly using Lightarmor is EVEN MORE a hit and run class.
    2. A Sorc has aprox. 19-22k life. With lightarmor you have like 10-14k Armor
    3. Whatever physical class hits you now without you having a shield up, will get u whooped in less than 2 seconds.
    4. Since Sorcerers are THE squishiest class in the game, they rely on their Shields, to protect their life.
    5. In comparison to a Templar/Dragonknight/Nightblade, the Sorcerer has NO Healing in the Classtree available, therefor, the Sorc has to shield, to be able to compete with ppl. While DK has Dragonblood, Temp, lots of heals, Nightblade Vigor, I repeat, the Sorc has NO burst heal.
    6. Ofcourse it is not easy to play against a Sorc who has some experience, ofcourse he tried to protect his life as best as he can and makes it as difficult as possible to hit him. So you do, as a Dodgerolling, Cloaking, Healing, Blocking Class.

NOW, summarizing, lot´s of you guys want the Sorcerer to have no Shields at all, so that you can kill him in 1 Second, because you directly hit his life? Also you want to nerf their escape abilities?

Well, some of that allready happend. As far as I´m counting correct, there has been 2 Bolt Escape Nerfs for the Sorc allready and NOW

50% LESS SHIELD

Isn´t that what you have been looking for ALL the time? I only see ppl complaining still. What do you want to nerf a class down to? Should the Sorcerer be as weak, that you don´t have any competition fighting it anymore? Com on, that is just a weak way of admiting, that you cry because there is a challenge for you. Guys, you have choosen to play an MMORPG, where different classes / races hit on each other, what have you expected?`That you gonna be the 1 Click-Destroyer Player? Thats FALSE. There are GOOD players out there who still Play Sorcerer even tho we had to go thru lots of nerfs.

I´m playing almost all the Classes since Release and I manage to kill Shield stacking Sorcs, just wait for the right moment as Nightblade for example. If you start hitting on a fully shielded Sorc, it´s YOUR fault, not his. As DK, use talents, roots, everything that makes the Sorc use his Stamina, which is not much... After u did that, Sorc is food when he can´t stunbreak anymore...

PVP in MMORPGS is COMPETITION. You cant expect to be the GOD there.

Greetings Noah
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

They really should remove stacking shields along with shieldbreaker though ;).

As it currently stands the solution to the shieldstacking problem especially against low health target is get shieldbreaker.

Actually the whole shield breaker thing is just like the whole 0 stamina regen blocking thing. How players my self included want blocking casting gone instead of greying out skills when blocking ZOS goes and adds 0 stamina regen while blocking. So shield breaker is just like that were all ZOS had to do is stop shield stacking by making when you cast a new shield it replaces the current one you have on but instead they took the complicated and more rage causing path of adding a entirely new 1 purpose set that players are clearly crying about.

Block casting should have been fixed by greying out skills when blocking in stead of 0 stamina regen.

Shield stacking should have been fixed by replacing the shield every time you cast a damage shield instead of adding a entirely new 1 purpose set.

But my 2 cents.
    Options
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ajalia wrote: »
    I can´t hear/read such comments any more, so let me show you my opinion on that topic:

In a Game, where you have the choice of different classes and races, you probably take the class and race which probably suits you best. Let me explain that from the perspective of a nightlade:

1. Nightblade Class is intended to hit and hide, means you are not meant to stand somwhere and take all the beating.
    2. 2. Nightblades DO what they are meant for, if played properly, you have properly gear and skill, you deal tons of damage.
    3. Since the Nightblade class is a hit and run class , you deffo need to play smart, means if you feel you can´t handle the situation, get out of it, there´s enough possibilities to do so. Cloak,Dodge Roll, Fear-Dodgeroll-Cloak, and so on.
    4. Since you have made a dessicion to play that particular class, you kinda have to live with it advantages and disadvantages as well.
    5. Ofcourse the main concept of you class can vary, depending on your setup, skill, gear.
    6. Let´s say you have choosen a Burstbuild, trust me, if played properly, you pop Shield using classes while sleeping, IF you play smart! Since you have chosen a Burst Build, which was your choice, you have to live with the disadvantages of it, for example the squishines.
    7. You made your choices, you CAN´T ASSUME , that you have an hybrid build, which is THE Destroyer against all other possible builds. You can´t be good at all possible situations with one Singe Build. There´s ALWAYS a counterbuild out there.

1. The Sorcerer class, since it´s mostly using Lightarmor is EVEN MORE a hit and run class.
    3. Whatever physical class hits you now without you having a shield up, will get u whooped in less than 2 seconds.
    4. Since Sorcerers are THE squishiest class in the game, they rely on their Shields, to protect their life.
    5. In comparison to a Templar/Dragonknight/Nightblade, the Sorcerer has NO Healing in the Classtree available, therefor, the Sorc has to shield, to be able to compete with ppl. While DK has Dragonblood, Temp, lots of heals, Nightblade Vigor, I repeat, the Sorc has NO burst heal.
    6. Ofcourse it is not easy to play against a Sorc who has some experience, ofcourse he tried to protect his life as best as he can and makes it as difficult as possible to hit him. So you do, as a Dodgerolling, Cloaking, Healing, Blocking Class.

NOW, summarizing, lot´s of you guys want the Sorcerer to have no Shields at all, so that you can kill him in 1 Second, because you directly hit his life? Also you want to nerf their escape abilities?

Well, some of that allready happend. As far as I´m counting correct, there has been 2 Bolt Escape Nerfs for the Sorc allready and NOW

50% LESS SHIELD

Isn´t that what you have been looking for ALL the time? I only see ppl complaining still. What do you want to nerf a class down to? Should the Sorcerer be as weak, that you don´t have any competition fighting it anymore? Com on, that is just a weak way of admiting, that you cry because there is a challenge for you. Guys, you have choosen to play an MMORPG, where different classes / races hit on each other, what have you expected?`That you gonna be the 1 Click-Destroyer Player? Thats FALSE. There are GOOD players out there who still Play Sorcerer even tho we had to go thru lots of nerfs.

I´m playing almost all the Classes since Release and I manage to kill Shield stacking Sorcs, just wait for the right moment as Nightblade for example. If you start hitting on a fully shielded Sorc, it´s YOUR fault, not his. As DK, use talents, roots, everything that makes the Sorc use his Stamina, which is not much... After u did that, Sorc is food when he can´t stunbreak anymore...

Greetings Noah
    I know some Nightblade tanks who will very much disagree with your assessment of the Nightblade class.
    Options
  • jelliedsoup
    jelliedsoup
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

Requiring good timing in a laggy game is far from ideal.

Cry me a river, move to the US.
    www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ks8_KGHqmO4
    Options
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The biggest problem with shields is the stacking. So let's avoid attacking the problem directly and instead introduce crippling nerfs to all shields and leave the problematic mechanic in place. Oh wait, that is a terrible idea, never mind.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
    Options
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try harder. Sorc shields are easy to break if you apply pressure and get a decent burst rotation.
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
    Options
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lava_Croft wrote: »
    Ajalia wrote: »

50% LESS SHIELD

Greetings Noah
    I know some Nightblade tanks who will very much disagree with your assessment of the Nightblade class.

Guessing the "any class any role" memo missed a few people.
    Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    R0M2K wrote: »
    You can try to crit or dot their shields... Oh wait, no you cant.

Yeah, but at least if he gets a few crits on the shiel... oh nvm
    Options
  • Kh0ll
    Kh0ll
    ✭✭✭✭
    Garion wrote: »
    Try harder. Sorc shields are easy to break if you apply pressure and get a decent burst rotation.
    This
    Un mauvais sorcier...il voit un truc qui bouge...il tp
    Un bon sorcier...il voit un truc qui bouge...bah il tp aussi...
    Mais c'est pas pareil, c'est un bon sorcier

"Ca Passe Large" DC
    "CPL" EP
    Options
  • Stikato
    Stikato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTB LOL button
    Mordimus - Stam Sorc
    Options
  • Hyssia
    Hyssia
    ✭✭✭

lol'd
    Options
  • WalksAmongShadows

WEm2HTm.jpg

4170 weapon damage 65% crit (0% vs shields), minor berserk buff, heavy stealth attack opener, flawless dawnbringer, light attack weaving on with surprise attacks and camo hunter procs. Extreme pressure and burst, barely dented him. This kind of survivability should come with the cost that you hit like a wet noodle instead of an electrified noodle of death on fire.

He was literally standing still like, "why would I even have to move?".
    Nightblade - Haderus AD
    Options
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should have cc'd him and killed him in a few seconds instead of spamming defensible dps like a pve monkey?
    Options
  • WalksAmongShadows
    Maybe you should have cc'd him and killed him in a few seconds instead of spamming defensible dps like a pve monkey?

Oh right I forgot, my stun + fear removes shields :D (it's on the other bar, try to guess at what time it was cast, shouldn't be hard). The point was to prove that sorc shields certainly don't break easy if you "just apply pressure and a decent burst rotation", even if you you use 2 different kinds of cc during 11 seconds. How you pressure someone like this and break their shields is, well, shield breaker. It certainly was NOT 'defensible dps', unless you are a shield spamming sorcerer. I don't think you can burst much higher than this, perhaps ~5% more damage at best, not with the way shields are designed right now.

My biggest issue with shields is that they can't be purged and they completely negate a big part of itemization, critical strike chance, which coincidentally is how one would usually raise their burst damage. It's like I had an unblockable physical attack that completely bypasses your armor and told you "just get more defense and use cc!" to counter it.
    Edited by WalksAmongShadows on September 18, 2015 4:28PM
    Nightblade - Haderus AD
    Options
  • _adhyffbjjjf12
    _adhyffbjjjf12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If he is cc'd he can't spam anything. Incidently the only extra shield sorce bag is hardened ward, that's about 9.5. Melee were smashing me with 20k combos in under 2 seconds, so for that sorc to survive dmg in close combat he has to spam shield. At that pin he is doing 0 dmg to you and burning resources. Still I wold just cc him and time the burst.

What's the difference between spamming a shield and having high armor and spamming a heal?

Options
  • smacx250
    smacx250
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WEm2HTm.jpg

4170 weapon damage 65% crit (0% vs shields), minor berserk buff, heavy stealth attack opener, flawless dawnbringer, light attack weaving on with surprise attacks and camo hunter procs. Extreme pressure and burst, barely dented him. This kind of survivability should come with the cost that you hit like a wet noodle instead of an electrified noodle of death on fire.

Just curious - why didn't you take damage anywhere in that log?
    Options
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like I had an unblockable physical attack that completely bypasses your armor and told you "just get more defense and use cc!" to counter it.

You mean exactly like shieldbreaker? I dont stack shields, but then again I don't have to. One is just as good as two for me.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
    Options
  • Garion
    Garion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

WEm2HTm.jpg

You have that dmg and your surprise attack crit him for 2.3k?
    Lastobeth - VR16 Sorc - PvP Rank 41 (AD)
    Lastoblyat - VR16 Templar - PvP Rank 14 (AD)
    Ninja Pete - VR16 NB - PvP Rank 10 (AD)
    Labo the Banana Slayer - VR14 Sorc - PvP Rank 12 (EP)

Member of Banana Squad | Officer of Arena
    Options
  • WalksAmongShadows
    smacx250 wrote: »
    Just curious - why didn't you take damage anywhere in that log?

Either my combat log is bugged or I have disabled incoming damage accidently, haven't bothered to fix it yet. But what killed me in the end there was 2 (I think) hits from overload light attack + crystal frags. Just a few seconds of dps was enough to drop me anyhow.

EDIT: Would appreciate if somebody could tell me how to fix it off the top of their head, don't have time to play right now.

Edited by WalksAmongShadows on September 18, 2015 4:46PM
    Nightblade - Haderus AD
    Options