The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Question about Veteran/Normal settings for Group Dungeons

Ransom54
Ransom54
Hello all! I want to first and foremost apologize in advance for asking a question that has likely been answered somewhere within the virtual walls of these forums, but it is something I prefer to ask to ensure that my specific question is answered. Reading other peoples' convoluted responses and messages back and forth doesn't always provide the clear answer I'm looking for.

I have a question on how the scaling works in group dungeons. I just hit VR1 yesterday, and the usual group of friends that I game with are just a few levels under me (47 and up). I know that when using the "Group Finder" there is the option to select "Normal" or "Veteran." As I mentioned, we already had our 4 guys (including myself) ready to go and since I was the group leader, everything is obviously scaled to my level. My question is: Is whatever dungeon we enter with me as the group leader considered a "Veteran" mode dungeon, or is that something that only happens when using the "Group Finder" and specifically selecting "Veteran?"

Without beating around the bush, I ask because all mobs and the bosses were VR1 (obviously), but aside from the slight level increase, my group had an extremely hard time keeping it together and it was above and beyond anything we had done previously in terms of difficulty. Needless to say, we didn't get very far. Any insight would be helpful! Thank you in advance for whomever decides to help me and answer/explain this.
PSNID:Ransom54
  • Ransom54
    Ransom54
    15 views and no replies - do I not make any sense? If I don't, please forgive me. I can attempt to clarify further.
  • pandoraderomanus
    pandoraderomanus
    ✭✭✭
    specifically selecting "Veteran?"

When you select 'veteran' - you get veteran dungeon, but not all dungeons have veteran version.
    Those dungeons that don't have veteran version just scale off to your level, so mobs will have veteran levels, but dungeons themselves won't be considered as veteran dungeons.
    PC-EU since 2014

Touches-Your-Tralala - retired lizardina-templar
    Pandora Morgenstern - noob orc-stamsorc
  • Ransom54
    Ransom54
    specifically selecting "Veteran?"

When you select 'veteran' - you get veteran dungeon, but not all dungeons have veteran version.
    Those dungeons that don't have veteran version just scale off to your level, so mobs will have veteran levels, but dungeons themselves won't be considered as veteran dungeons.

Thank you for the clarification, good sir. I appreciate it.
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    Ransom54:

I trust you figured this out by now but:

1. The 'group dungeon' instance will scale to the host of the party
    2. You get experience from 5 levels below you or 10 levels above you
    3. If you have someone close but lower than your level host the party, the dungeon may be better suited to your group
    4. Gear will drop from all mobs based on the host's level
    5. There are two different versions of SOME group dungeons (VETERAN and NORMAL)
    6. If you select NORMAL, you get version A... if you select VETEREN you get version B
    7. If you are doing the UNDAUNTED daily quests, there are additional 'challenges' which may be flagged for both NORMAL and VETEREN dungeon modes from the respective NPCs

Happy hunting
    NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • pandoraderomanus
    pandoraderomanus
    ✭✭✭
    :) Lady, but it's ok
    PC-EU since 2014

Touches-Your-Tralala - retired lizardina-templar
    Pandora Morgenstern - noob orc-stamsorc
  • Ransom54
    Ransom54
    tactica wrote: »
    Ransom54:

I trust you figured this out by now but:

1. The 'group dungeon' instance will scale to the host of the party
    2. You get experience from 5 levels below you or 10 levels above you
    3. If you have someone close but lower than your level host the party, the dungeon may be better suited to your group
    4. Gear will drop from all mobs based on the host's level
    5. There are two different versions of SOME group dungeons (VETERAN and NORMAL)
    6. If you select NORMAL, you get version A... if you select VETEREN you get version B
    7. If you are doing the UNDAUNTED daily quests, there are additional 'challenges' which may be flagged for both NORMAL and VETEREN dungeon modes from the respective NPCs

Happy hunting

Thank you for further explaining those details - I appreciate it. We were (and still are) working on the Tempest Island daily undaunted from a couple days ago, which is what started all this.
    :) Lady, but it's ok

You know, after I posted that I said to myself, "What if she is a woman?" Looks like I should have left a gender designation out of my reply, lol.

Thank you, ma'am!

• Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMPORTANT: for the dungeons which have both a normal and veteran mode, the dungeons will DEFAULT to vet mode if you initiate them or are first in the group/party list. Only the leader can change the mode between vet and normal mode (or vice versa), and ONLY a Veteran level character can even SEE the mode to change it. So, CHECK the mode of your group before ANYONE goes into the dungeon, and change it appropriately. Change the leader to the vet person first if necessary, then change the vet mode, then change the leader back to the original person to scale the dungeon correctly. If you don't do all this before going in, the dungeon will be set incorrectly for everyone, and you have to all exit the dungeon, Disband the group and form it up again. (use Group chat to get everyones' names first, to make it easier if you are a pickup).

Interestingly, I did a dungeon run in Spindleclutch yesterday (nonvet pledge), where the nonvet characters ended up in the nonvet version, and my character (vet) ended in the vet 14 version. We had to exit/disband/reform....
  • Ransom54
    Ransom54
    IMPORTANT: for the dungeons which have both a normal and veteran mode, the dungeons will DEFAULT to vet mode if you initiate them or are first in the group/party list. Only the leader can change the mode between vet and normal mode (or vice versa), and ONLY a Veteran level character can even SEE the mode to change it. So, CHECK the mode of your group before ANYONE goes into the dungeon, and change it appropriately. Change the leader to the vet person first if necessary, then change the vet mode, then change the leader back to the original person to scale the dungeon correctly. If you don't do all this before going in, the dungeon will be set incorrectly for everyone, and you have to all exit the dungeon, Disband the group and form it up again. (use Group chat to get everyones' names first, to make it easier if you are a pickup).

Interestingly, I did a dungeon run in Spindleclutch yesterday (nonvet pledge), where the nonvet characters ended up in the nonvet version, and my character (vet) ended in the vet 14 version. We had to exit/disband/reform....

Oh my goodness, that seems like one convoluted mess that just confuses me more, lol. What if I am NOT using the "Group Finder" in any way - I just grab 3 of my friends and enter the dungeon? Since I am a VR1, does it automatically get scaled to a "Veteran" dungeon (with the extra mechanics, harder enemies, etc..) or just a "Normal" dungeon with VR1 enemies? That is more of the question I would like answered.
  • Doughty0
    Doughty0
    Whenever you enter a dungeon at vet level set at normal the mobs are still scaled to your leaders vet level but they are still easy to kill, if you go to social and group and change it to veteran then the mobs are still set to the leaders vet level but they are much harder to kill and do much more damage and the boss mechanics change and different bosses are added and it is much harder to complete. hope this information helps.
  • Doughty0
    Doughty0
    my dungeon difficulty stays on veteran, sometimes we've found that when you form a group with your friends if its set to veteran in your settings already that it doesn't always change the dungeon so we usually change the setting to normal and back to veteran before entering the dungeon to make sure that the difficulty did change. It bugs occasionally.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ransom54 wrote: »

Oh my goodness, that seems like one convoluted mess that just confuses me more, lol. What if I am NOT using the "Group Finder" in any way - I just grab 3 of my friends and enter the dungeon? Since I am a VR1, does it automatically get scaled to a "Veteran" dungeon (with the extra mechanics, harder enemies, etc..) or just a "Normal" dungeon with VR1 enemies? That is more of the question I would like answered.

Just check in your group window if the group is set to do "normal" or "veteran" and make sure you have it to what you want before anyone enters.

As well, with all VR players, everyone gets XP/loot now, even if they are more than 5 VR levels apart, they changed it a little while ago ;)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Ransom54
    Ransom54
    Thank you all for the clarification - it's greatly appreciated!